PDA

View Full Version : Of halflings and sizes

LM TR
2008-03-28, 03:38 PM
is Belkar REALLY tall for a halfling or is EVERYONE else pretty small for a human/elf...? (cause heīs guesstimatedly at least more than 1 foot taller than he should be with a perfect roll, considering 3.5 rules)
Iīd really like to know if Rich ever commented on this matter...

FujinAkari
2008-03-28, 03:40 PM

He did. Rich does not draw small creatures as small due to it looking ridiculous in scale. All small creatures are drawn just BARELY shorter than medium creatures, and small creatures are very rarely included for this reason.

Note that Rich made Goblins BE medium for this purpose.

Page606
2008-03-28, 03:41 PM
Also, Belkar is still shorter than Solt Lorkyurg.

Spiryt
2008-03-28, 03:47 PM
I don't see the point. Belkar is almost two times shorter than humans, and remember about proportions in OotS (their big heads). Everything is in order (heh).

Phase
2008-03-28, 04:22 PM
I agree, I don't see how belkar is smaller than normal. Halflings are desribed as being like children, and Belkar is just as tall if not shorter than Eric...

Jayngfet
2008-03-29, 07:54 AM
is Belkar REALLY tall for a halfling or is EVERYONE else pretty small for a human/elf...? (cause heīs guesstimatedly at least more than 1 foot taller than he should be with a perfect roll, considering 3.5 rules)

*glances over 3.5 rules* I dont see any hairfoots in there, you sure he's not half dwarf or something?

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-29, 08:22 AM
Belkar claimed he is 3'2" after Miko killed Shojo. I never thought he looked out of proportion if I'm honest (excluding his head being a bit too big for his body).

LM TR
2008-03-29, 10:06 AM
He did. Rich does not draw small creatures as small due to it looking ridiculous in scale. All small creatures are drawn just BARELY shorter than medium creatures, and small creatures are very rarely included for this reason.

Note that Rich made Goblins BE medium for this purpose.

that pretty much proves my point: the proportions arenīt matching

so Iīm not a math wizard but I measured the models and when Roy is e.g. assumed to be 5'12" (182 cm) Belkar turns out to be 3'10" (118 cm), which is 6 inches too much

I have read something about halflings being taller in 2nd edition, is that true?

so what I want to actually know is: is 5'12" a good guess for Roy or not? (cause Iīm doing a comic using the same style and based the size of my characters directly on Roy)

Arkenputtyknife
2008-03-29, 10:53 AM
5'12"
As distinct from 6', presumably.

NerfTW
2008-03-29, 11:21 AM
In case you haven't noticed, Rich uses a copy and paste method for the characters. There are only two body sizes. (not counting the rarely used Ogre/giant body) Any further differences are from stuff like hair that is stuck on top of their identical heads.

Making Belkar any shorter would reduce the detail, and make it harder to fit him in frame. (Look at actors with major height differences. They have to stand on boxes in some scenes to keep from messing up the shot)

It's just artistic license for the sake of the comic.

LM TR
2008-03-29, 12:03 PM
In case you haven't noticed, Rich uses a copy and paste method for the characters. There are only two body sizes. (not counting the rarely used Ogre/giant body) Any further differences are from stuff like hair that is stuck on top of their identical heads.

Making Belkar any shorter would reduce the detail, and make it harder to fit him in frame. (Look at actors with major height differences. They have to stand on boxes in some scenes to keep from messing up the shot)

It's just artistic license for the sake of the comic.

like I said, I use the same style, and scaling down a medium sized model into a small sized one isnīt a problem at all, even if I canīt draw as shiny as Rich does
letīs assume his height is OK, but he should not be as broad as the other characters then

I do see that it makes sense to draw Belkar the way he is drawn though...

PS: and Iīm not supposed to know how the inch and foot malsystem works, Iīm European :smallamused:

Querzis
2008-03-29, 12:36 PM
Look at Belkar body and forget his head a moment. No, Belkar is not too tall for an halfling (though 3,2 is a little bit taller then most halfling). Its just that all the heads in OOTS have exactly the same size because otherwise its too hard to see or interpret some expression. If Rich would draw Belkar even smaller then he is right now, he still woudnt change his head. Belkar body is already way too short, his head is as big as the rest of his body. If you make the rest of his body even smaller as you seems to suggest, it just become totally ridiculous.

LM TR
2008-03-29, 01:14 PM
youīre wrong
Belkarīs head IS (slightly) smaller than a medium sized one (Iīm talking about the early strips, donīt know if Rich ever changed anything size-wize)
so if he would draw him smaller, he would use a regular-sized head and shrink it with the rest of the body (look at the halfling picture in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and you know what I mean)
halflings arenīt supposed to look like midget humans after all, are they?
human children donīt have grown-up sized heads either

but back to the important question:
Roy: how tall?

Querzis
2008-03-29, 01:28 PM
youīre wrong
Belkarīs head IS (slightly) smaller than a medium sized one (Iīm talking about the early strips, donīt know if Rich ever changed anything size-wize)

...What are you talking about?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0001.html
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html

I fail to see any difference whatsoever between everyone else head and Belkar head...well except of course that Belkar doesnt have much hairs.

I'm pretty damn sure its just a perception things since Belkar is overall smaller. Or you said that just because you felt like arguing. Because honestly, since Roy size seems to be the important question now, I really dont know where you are going with this.

LM TR
2008-03-29, 04:40 PM
Iīve just tried it again and now they are the same
I have to apologize, donīt know what I screwed up in the first try:smallconfused: