PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Spell...

SamTheCleric
2008-03-28, 09:51 PM
So, as I was putting together spell lists for my characters... I got to thinking about my favorite spell. What is your favorite spell of all time? Maybe not the most effective, not the most useful... but the one you like the most.

Mine? Celebration from the Spell Compendium... 3 rounds of a drinking song that takes you from buzzed, to nauseated to flat out passed out. Awesome!

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-28, 09:52 PM
Prestidigitation.

DementedFellow
2008-03-28, 10:12 PM
Dancing Lights

Then some honorable mentions go to:

Cure Smoked Ham
Tasha's Uncontrollable Bladder
Transmute Rock to Jazz

SamTheCleric
2008-03-28, 10:13 PM
Rock to Jazz? Screw that! Flesh to Funk! *boogie*

Ward.
2008-03-28, 10:17 PM
Acid orb, there's very little it can't do (story wise at least).

Hal
2008-03-28, 10:19 PM
I would say Color Spray, but my DM jokes that I turn every combat into a gay pride parade with it.

That aside, Arcane Mark. Wizardly graffiti. Also useful for fooling people into thinking your mundane articles are magical trinkets when Detect Magic suddenly shows runes all over them.

streakster
2008-03-28, 10:20 PM
I'll second Prestidigitation.

GrassyGnoll
2008-03-28, 10:21 PM
Delayed fireball. It's just an ordinary marble, I promise.

Yahzi
2008-03-28, 10:21 PM
Prestidigitation.
Ya... I agree.

The rest of the spells, you use because you need to. This one you use because you want to.

Edan
2008-03-28, 10:23 PM
Incite Riot, PH2. Make a whole group of people randomly punch the guy next to them. Then watch ensuing hilarity.

Nohwl
2008-03-28, 10:28 PM
its pretty hard to choose just one.

if i had to pick just one, i would say storm of vengeance.

Squash Monster
2008-03-28, 10:32 PM
Solid Fog.

Because, as far as ways of absolutely wrecking people go, I think it's one of the most amusing ways you can do it.

Collin152
2008-03-28, 10:36 PM
Mindrape.
Because theres death, fates worse than death, and fates that make fates worse than death look like a dream.

Zincorium
2008-03-28, 10:40 PM
Stoneskin. It's really just a holdover preference from 2nd edition, but man, nothing messes with a would-be mage slayer like being utterly ineffective in melee.

Paul H
2008-03-28, 10:41 PM
Hi

Tenser's Floating Disk.

An actually useful (non-damaging)spell that a Warmage can take (Advanced Learning).

Happy memories of a Halfling sat cross-legged on my disk behind me as I walk. Also memories of GM asking ".. and just how're you going to carry that heavy item back - it's heavier than you"!? Answered "..on my Floating Disk - carries 100lb/lvl, lasts 1hr/lvl".

(My main char in RPGA's Living Greyhawk campaign is Clr/Warmage/Mystic Theurge, and uses disks regularly. Including ferrying other party members across acid pools, etc).

Cheers
Paul H

TempusCCK
2008-03-28, 10:45 PM
Very few things make me happier than throwing out a Magic Missile, I don't know why, it just makes me happy.

Draz74
2008-03-28, 10:58 PM
Defenestrating Sphere certainly deserves a mention.

Evard's Black Tentacles is pretty fun if you're playing in a game where you can't use Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion instead.

Persistent Image and Grease are close to the prankster's heart, as Core spells go.

Edit: Thinking back to the thread a few weeks ago, about "Which spells would you want in real life?", I definitely want to add Scholar's Touch.

Crow
2008-03-28, 10:58 PM
Ya... I agree.

The rest of the spells, you use because you need to. This one you use because you want to.

"Here, have a warm cup of apple cider..."

My old favorite was Mirror Image, but I've recently changed to Sleet Storm (or whatever it's called).

Collin152
2008-03-28, 11:02 PM
"Here, have a warm cup of apple cider..."

Care for a wishing apple, m'dear?

Hal
2008-03-28, 11:11 PM
Remembered another.

Entice Gift.

"Why, BBEG, you want to hand me that epic Staff of Awesomeness you've been carrying? The MacGuffin we were supposed to retrieve as the focus of our entire campaign? Why, that's so thoughtful of you! Thanks!"

Hectonkhyres
2008-03-28, 11:11 PM
Mindrape is, quite simply, awesomeness personified. You grab any bastard under the sun and rewrite their very being to fit your desires. Yes, yes. Its an evil spell... but who wouldn't succumb to a temptation like that?

Of course its an obscenely high level. Fitting considering how deliciously game breaking it is.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-28, 11:14 PM
I have lots of favorites although if I could only have one it would be Miracle for no experience spell duplication.

Read Magic, Prestidigitation, Mending, Mage Hand and Ray of Frost (Create Ice blocks) for cantrips.

Charm Person, Color Spray, Mage Craft, Protection from..., Shield and Sleep at low levels.

Alter Self, Continual Flame, Glitter Dust, Invisbility, Mirror Image, Web.

Dispel Magic, Major Image.

Charm Monster, Dweomer Transfer, Invisibility Greater and Shadow Conjuration.

Fabricate, Teleport, Wall of Stone.

Antimagic Shell.

Anyspell and Anyspell Greater for a Sorcerer. (Mostly for downtime and when the PCs have 15 minutes in an adventure)

Limited Wish, Summon Monster 7 (For a Deva (Commune, Raise Dead....), Teleport Greater.

Miracle at high levels for no experience spell duplication, Shades.

Collin152
2008-03-28, 11:14 PM
Mindrape is, quite simply, awesomeness personified. You grab any bastard under the sun and rewrite their very being to fit your desires. Yes, yes. Its an evil spell... but who wouldn't succumb to a temptation like that?

Of course its an obscenely high level. Fitting considering how deliciously game breaking it is.

Yes, join me, and together we can rule!
Or, fight me, and lay waste to nations as we strive to destroy one another.
The choice is yours!

Ponce
2008-03-28, 11:15 PM
Blindness/Deafness. Obviously not the strongest spell out there, but when it does shine, well, nothing's funnier than an otherwise fully functioning opponent who just can't find you. Even though you're standing in what would normally be plain view. I've smashed many low to mid level encounters with this spell. The funniest instance was my 4th level wizard shutting down an 8th level sorceress. In the first round. The range on it is also appreciated at low levels.

Chronos
2008-03-28, 11:22 PM
Got to be Prestidigitation. Not only are its uses limited only by your imagination, but it's always available. A few percent of games will get to the point where you can cast a Wish or Miracle, but Presto is there for you every single game. It was already my favorite spell back in 2nd edition when it was called Cantrip, and then they went and made it even easier to cast, and made it a full hour's worth of fun tricks, instead of a single one.

Hectonkhyres
2008-03-28, 11:22 PM
A dwarven wizzer I once had to play with had the belief that Wall of Stone could solve any and all of life's problems... and subsequently proved this belief to be true by flooding the BBEG's city with a redirected river, shooting stone bridges between castle spires when fighting hoards of flying enemies, and building a fortress in the enemy's own castle without him knowing. The poor BBEG had a complete mental breakdown.

Yeah. I have been converted to the church of the Wall of Stone (possibly by the effects of the mindrape spell). Rock on.

Callos_DeTerran
2008-03-28, 11:23 PM
Favorite spell?

Power word: Orgasm. Why?....I find it extremely funny to be honest.

On a more serious note.

Heward's Heavenly Upliftment (And nah shall I succumb to Wizard's new trend of removing the rightful name of a spell's creator!) is tied with a previous all time favorite of mine...

Apocalypse from the Sky. There truly is no problem it can't solve. Except for a shortage of artifacts, in that case it just makes everything worse.

BardicDuelist
2008-03-28, 11:27 PM
The various image spells are probably my all time favs simply because they are rarely not useful.

I love Shivering Touch. It is basically my "break glass in case of emergency," as I only use it when I know the odds are stacked way against us.

Dispel magic is one of my most used.

Summon Monster/Summon Nature's Ally are annother set of incredibly versitile spells that one can almost always find a use for.

Of course, as a player of bards, it's not a spell that I love, but a SLA. Suggestion with a DC based on skill ranks made of win.

Collin152
2008-03-28, 11:29 PM
Yeah. I have been converted to the church of the Wall of Stone (possibly by the effects of the mindrape spell). Rock on.

You have chosen the path of suffering.

Hal
2008-03-28, 11:39 PM
The poor BBEG had a complete mental breakdown.

The BBEG or your DM?

Hectonkhyres
2008-03-28, 11:51 PM
The BBEG or your DM?
The BBEG. Creative thinking was the entire point of the exercise. Every time the players find a way to outthink the DM, he just cranks up the difficulty again.

Imagine hollow iron golems filled with archer kobolds, each shooting through special ports on the sides. Aboleths who animate their home lake like a giant ooze. Neogi who pack their surplus slaves with alchemic explosives and send them off to play suicide bomber.

You have chosen the path of suffering.
You only say that because your games don't have the skill 'Craft: MacGyver' and a godaweful huge number of encounters that you physically can not get through using straight combat or your usual bag of tricks. We have to have surfing lighthouses bristling with cannons, sledding on Walls of Iron down mountainsides, soarwhale jousting, and a thousand copper pieces each with an explosive rune written on it and disseminated into a city's economy.

It gets... interesting.

loopy
2008-03-28, 11:54 PM
Glibness, most definitely. It almost takes the fun out of lying for no reason.

Almost.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-03-29, 12:01 AM
Dimension Hop, in the hands of a Mystic Swordsage, makes for a riot of ninja prankster good times.

or

Alter Self (again as a MS) has all the flavor of being a panwere lycanthrope, only weaker and devoid of lunar mishaps.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-29, 12:14 AM
Elemental Body (Air).

Because a 60ft perfect fly speed that lasts all day lets you really be a jackass. Never walk, never sit, Hover all the time, for no reason. Every time you face any obstacle someone else has to deal with, laugh. Point out that you don't care about Walls/Pits/Water/Anything, because you can fly. And Flying is awesome.

Honorable Mention goes to Anticipate Teleport Greater. Use it to convince your enemies that their teleportation failed (the short range ones, where a Demon tries to reach you with a Teleport) Cast illusion spell, shape to convince them they are in the same place, and move over to where they were before they teleported. Laugh at their confusion.

NEO|Phyte
2008-03-29, 12:28 AM
For spells, I'd have to go with Detonate. Because sometimes, you just need to blow someone up.

If we go into alternate spellcasting systems, Form of Doom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/formofDoom.htm).

Chronicled
2008-03-29, 03:16 AM
Defenestrating Sphere, all the way. I just need to find a DM who will run a game set in Prague (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestration_of_prague)...

Entice Gift and Glibness are reasons to play a bard in and of themselves, all wrapped up neatly with a bow!

Kurald Galain
2008-03-29, 03:28 AM
The "image" line (silent/major/etc)

It doesn't get any more versatile than that.

Hawriel
2008-03-29, 04:12 AM
There are so many that I love. Some for carnage Ive caused using them. Some for the pure sillyness. And some because I found a seemingly benine spell that turned out to have a big use.

Flame Strike. I love my clerics version of smite with holey fire.

Implode. I only used it once. It was all I needed.

Tenser's floating disc.

Copy. Oh the joy a mage/thief will have with the second level copy spell. Followed by the third level homebew coalate.

Bigby's obscene gesture. Second level homebrew taunt spell.

Bigby's obscene gesture with verbal component. third level spell.

Bigby's diabolical five iron.

Bigby's Bitch slap.

Grease.

Flesh to stone. You never now when your going to need another lawn jocky.

Hold person. This spell has saved many a party members life.

Symbole of Insanety and Symbole of death. My party compromised the big evil's spy and used his own carrier pigeon to send a message of are own. We later found out that the GM had to creat a new big evil and most of his minions.

Forgot one. ah ahem the spell was Forget. Another spell a Mage/thief must have.

KazilDarkeye
2008-03-29, 04:19 AM
I'm gonna go with Reality Maelstrom.
Who doesn't love ripping a hole in the fabric of existance to a random location just to see what gets sucked in?

matthewmw64
2008-03-29, 04:31 AM
My personal favorite would have to be Sleep, simply because it can be so useful in the right situations.

Also, where can I find Mindrape? It doesn't seem to be in the PHB or the Spell Compendium.

Xefas
2008-03-29, 04:49 AM
My favorite is tied with two 1st level spells, oddly enough.

Grease and Ray of Enfeeblement.

The former because of the sheer number of hilarious moments it has spawned in my D&D group, such as casting Grease on the Swordsage and watching as he inadvertently sets himself on fire while using a Desert Wind maneuver, or the fun you can have with a Pixie/Wizard 1. Flying, tiny, invisible... "Why are we all naked and covered in grease?!"

The latter because, well...it stays useful for a looong time, starting at level 6 or so. As soon as those level 1 spells start looking useless, along comes Ray of Enfeeblement. You're now the bane of anyone wearing fullplate! Watch as they're crushed under the weight of their own equipment and have to spend 1d4+1 minutes taking it off. At level 10, you're likely to be lowering them by 8+, which certainly makes going toe-to-toe full-attacking the melee monsters more viable for your party. The Fire Giant that used to have to roll a 12+ to hit your Crusader buddy now has to go for a 16+; not to bad for a 1st level spell.

Enguhl
2008-03-29, 06:48 AM
Hmmm... excluding those mentioned already (magic missile), I would have to say...
A combination of fabricate and something else (forget the name. The second allows you to make a large amount of a material you have a small piece of. Then fabricate to make a finished product. I remember having a (psionic) character that was running around with a bag full of pieces of any material ever. So we would need something and I would create it, though the second spell mentioned only makes it for a limited time. So we would get halfway to town and our wagon would disappear :smallfrown: . It was useful in other situations though.

Morty
2008-03-29, 06:57 AM
Tie between Telekinesis, Dimension Door and Lightning Bolt.
One lets me move stuff with my mind, which is what all wizards are supposed to do, the second lets me disappear and appear at my whim and the last one lets me fry enemies with electricy. Give me those three spells and I can forget about the rest.

Eldariel
2008-03-29, 07:19 AM
I'll have to say, even though they aren't especially effective, Explosive Runes. Other than that, open spells such as Symbols, Control Weather, X Image, Grease and so on. I love spells that allow me to get creative.

Jayngfet
2008-03-29, 07:27 AM
mending, a cantrip that can destroy whole nations if used properly.

Mad Maudlin
2008-03-29, 08:00 AM
My sorcerer has practically made Colour Spray her signature spell. Any time the rest of the party are tied up in a melee fight they're losing... Shoot them all, and let the Gods sort them out!

She's currently grieving her advancement out of the levels where Colour Spray automatically knocks a target unconscious, but hey. It was awesome while it lasted :smallbiggrin:

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-29, 08:05 AM
My favourite spell is probably Mass Heal (it would be brilliant if I could use that in real life). Admittedly, I'd also love to be able to use Regenrate in RL.

hotel_papa
2008-03-29, 08:11 AM
Not a spell, but an infusion. Gotta love my blast rods.

Has to be a spell? Stilled, Explosive Burning Hands. Fun way to end a grapple.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-29, 08:46 AM
mending, a cantrip that can destroy whole nations if used properly.

I want to know how. I also now intend to buy 5000 explosive runed coins and airdrop them into the enemy city. And use stone wall.

Roythebattousai
2008-03-29, 09:11 AM
Um....

Stormrage, 8th level priest spell. It's in The Complete Divine.

It's something like you fly around the skies shooting (level)d6 lightning bolts doing 1d6 lightning damage each.

Nothing like flying around an army of orcs zapping each one of them to death, cause you rolled a 20.

Kaelaroth
2008-03-29, 09:14 AM
Suggestion.

Yesterday, my invisible sylph guard told a PC to take off all his clothes. It didn't go against his nature, since they were sure there wasn't anything in the room. :smallamused:

Keld Denar
2008-03-29, 09:25 AM
I'm gonna have to 2nd Solid Fog. So annoying, and absolutely NOTHING you can do about it.

Also, my favorite spell, Whirling Blade, from SpC. Its seriously so useful if you build a character who utilizes it to the fullest. Absolutely amazing and useful. I've raved about this spell in other posts, so I won't go into details.

Daelon
2008-03-29, 09:46 AM
The 5th level Druid spell Blizzard. When you first get it at 10th level, it's ten feet of snow on an area 2000 feet across. At 17th level, an Extended, Widened Blizzard(ninth level slot) dumps 34 feet of snow on an area 1.28 miles across.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-29, 10:11 AM
Giant Size.

Grow to colossal size (Even if you're a pixie). Gain +32 str, +12 con, +12 natural armor, for a mere -2 dex and -8 AC (Totally negated by the +12 natural armor).

I can't find a downside.

Well, unless you're need to visit a halfling.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-03-29, 10:17 AM
Explosive runes is hella awesome, but for stacking goodness, there is little that, with careful planning, cannot become utterly screwed up by quintessence.

Collin152
2008-03-29, 01:55 PM
Also, where can I find Mindrape? It doesn't seem to be in the PHB or the Spell Compendium.

The Book of Vile Darkness.
It is a spell most foul, most abominable, that men fear speak it by its name lest they find themselves its next target.

Dethcom1
2008-03-29, 03:12 PM
And yet you use it as your signature. Admirably creepy.

As for me, I'm a pyromaniac. I just love the idea of meteor swarm. The perfect weapon for killing PCs, eliminating BBEGs, whittling down armies, making toast, and pretty much any other domestic task you can think of - from a maximum of 1,200 feet away!

So very deadly.

Collin152
2008-03-29, 03:15 PM
And yet you use it as your signature. Admirably creepy.

It is my signature spell. I leave two things in my wake: Devestation and Mindrape victims.

Reinboom
2008-03-29, 03:39 PM
Giant Size.

Grow to colossal size (Even if you're a pixie). Gain +32 str, +12 con, +12 natural armor, for a mere -2 dex and -8 AC (Totally negated by the +12 natural armor).

I can't find a downside.

Well, unless you're need to visit a halfling.

I can find multiple downsides to it:
1st) You do not gain Gargantuan until Caster Level 16 (So 15th level via ioun stone, not that big of an issue) and Colossal until CL 19 (18th or 17th level, depending). The huge and gargantuan sizes are nifty, but, you are doing better by the time you get colossal access.
2nd) It's a Wu Jen only spell.
3rd) You are using a spell slot for it of at least 7th level.
4th) It has a casting time of 1 round, so, you don't get its effects immediately. You wait until the following round.

My favored spells:
Benign Transposition (Spell Compendium) (Sorcerer/Wizard 1)
This marvelous little spell has an incredible amount of utility for a 1st level spell slot. Combine it with a flying familiar early on. Getting your front line 30 feet closer. Putting the right ally for the job in strange situations. Retreating the rogue for the brawler whenever you need, etc. etc.
My primary caster I'm playing in a campaign currently is ECL 11, and she still utilizes this spell heavily.

Dimension Shuffle (Player's Handbook 2) (Sorcerer/Wizard 5)
If it isn't obvious, I love the benefit of (Teleportation) provides for tactical advantage, and this is a great one as well. Quickly rearrange allies in to flanking, on to the front, put enemies in to not so well off positions. Combine with slow to really mess with the masses. It targets 1 creature/level, so, the number to target rarely comes up - just the distance apart and distance in general. However, all of this isn't what makes it really special, and a really favored spell to me, it's because...

Anticipate Teleportation, Greater (Spell Compendium) (Sorcerer/Wizard 6)
This spell provides a marvelous tactical superiority for opposed teleporters. Three round delay, with a warning for you of the creature type, size, and exact location of which the enemy is not aware of, has no save, and has no spell resistance. Further, it lasts for 24 hours. The only significant downside is that it has a 10 minute cast time, meaning, it's a purely pre combat buff for a mid combat specific effect. This covers all teleportation descriptors, which makes 'Dimension Shuffle' in to a mass minor maze.

Ruin Delvar's Fortune (Spell Compendium) (Bard 4,Sorcerer/Wizard 4)
Add your charisma modifier to a save. Or gain 4d8 + Charisma to temporary HP.
For 1d4 rounds.
As an immediate action.
With only Verbal components.
This spell is incredible in defensive capabilities for Sorcerers and Bards. Further, it actually does more than that. If you chose to add to reflex, you get evasion for the duration. Fortitude? Immunity to Poison. Will? Immunity to Fear effects.
Even a wizard with a 'decent' charisma can utilize this, but for sorcerers this spell is a near must.

Benign Transposition is definitely my favorite still, though.

mabriss lethe
2008-03-29, 03:51 PM
Bestow Curse.

You can do nearly anything with it if you word the curse properly.

Bestow Curse
Necromancy
Level: Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You place a curse on the subject. Choose one of the following three effects.

-6 decrease to an ability score (minimum 1).
-4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks.
Each turn, the target has a 50% chance to act normally; otherwise, it takes no action.
You may also invent your own curse, but it should be no more powerful than those described above.

The curse bestowed by this spell cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell.

Bestow curse counters remove curse.

Bolded for emphasis

Collin152
2008-03-29, 03:55 PM
Bestow Curse.

You can do nearly anything with it if you word the curse properly.

My favorite thing to do is word the curse so it abates if they perform a certain course of action, inform them of this fact, and then watch them squirm.

Chronos
2008-03-29, 04:22 PM
This covers all teleportation descriptors, which makes 'Dimension Shuffle' in to a mass minor maze.I don't have Spell Compendium, but I would expect that Dimension Shuffle would offer a save when used against an enemy. Isn't the big appeal of Maze the fact that it doesn't offer a save?

bugsysservant
2008-03-29, 04:27 PM
I don't have Spell Compendium, but I would expect that Dimension Shuffle would offer a save when used against an enemy. Isn't the big appeal of Maze the fact that it doesn't offer a save?

Um, I think he means that casting Greater Anticipate Teleport (which allows no save) then having enemies being dimensional-ly shuffled into the radius of the spell means that you now have an set of enemies held in stasis for several rounds. Without a save. I'm not really sure what you thought he meant, though...

Grey Paladin
2008-03-29, 05:25 PM
Mindrape

Perception defines Reality

Magic defines Perception

Chronos
2008-03-29, 05:40 PM
Um, I think he means that casting Greater Anticipate Teleport (which allows no save) then having enemies being dimensional-ly shuffled into the radius of the spell means that you now have an set of enemies held in stasis for several rounds. Without a save. I'm not really sure what you thought he meant, though...Yeah, but he said that that was one of the reasons why Dimensional Shuffle was his favorite spell, implying that he's the one casting it. If he wants the enemies to be trapped by Anticipate Teleport, then he needs to be casting the Dimensional Shuffle on the the enemies, and teleport-type spells cast on enemies (if possible at all) generally allow saves.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-29, 05:53 PM
Stilled, Explosive Burning Hands. Fun way to end a grapple.

Technically, won't end a grapple, since the Cone can only radiate out from one of the corners in your square, and the grappler is in the square with you.

GrassyGnoll
2008-03-29, 06:39 PM
Um....

Stormrage, 8th level priest spell. It's in The Complete Divine.

It's something like you fly around the skies shooting (level)d6 lightning bolts doing 1d6 lightning damage each.

Nothing like flying around an army of orcs zapping each one of them to death, cause you rolled a 20.

Aren't you also encased in a giant orb of lightning which auto fries any interlopers or projectiles? Would anyone suggest the Storm Lord of Talos PrC from that book?

Bosaxon
2008-03-29, 06:46 PM
Cloudkill. Has a million and one uses, undeniably evil, and ooooohhhhh so much fun in an urban campaign.

DarknessLord
2008-03-29, 06:49 PM
Combust, it may be a touch attack, but, it lets you set people on fire for a level 2 spell, and that's pretty cool.

It's even more fun in NWN II, where the concept of "protect the squishy sorcerer" never seems to cross your party’s mind and you’re in melee a lot anyway.

Collin152
2008-03-29, 07:01 PM
Aren't you also encased in a giant orb of lightning which auto fries any interlopers or projectiles? Would anyone suggest the Storm Lord of Talos PrC from that book?

I thought is was just an orb of really strong winds, effectively a windwall spell surrounding you entirely.
Still pretty awesome.

bugsysservant
2008-03-29, 07:14 PM
Yeah, but he said that that was one of the reasons why Dimensional Shuffle was his favorite spell, implying that he's the one casting it. If he wants the enemies to be trapped by Anticipate Teleport, then he needs to be casting the Dimensional Shuffle on the the enemies, and teleport-type spells cast on enemies (if possible at all) generally allow saves.

Noooo... ya see, the thing about anticipate teleport is that its worthless unless the opponent happens to cast a teleport spell. You don't cast anticipate teleport, then teleport an enemy near you just to keep them in stasis for a few rounds. That would be stupid. He's saying that if someone happens to cast dimensional shuffle while you have an anticipate teleport effect up, its extra fun. And the reference to dimensional shuffle was from another passage in his post, implying that this was a separate instance, especially from context.

FlyMolo
2008-03-29, 07:25 PM
Quintessence. An amazing spell/power/whatever.

Quintessence squirtgun=win.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-03-29, 07:29 PM
Quintessence. An amazing spell/power/whatever.

Quintessence squirtgun=win.

As far as I know, quintessence + timestop/temporal acceleration is unbeatable vs. a single target.

It is awesome stuff - I play psionic classes just for the ability to get it, and lose sleep at nights worrying that I should have chosen psionic artificer instead of regular one.

Shas aia Toriia
2008-03-29, 07:38 PM
No question about it: Avasculate and its big brother, Avascular Mass. Why? Because its a ranged touch attack with no save and they insta lose half their HP. Plus I once made a combo with for HP/2 + 20,000 damage. :smallbiggrin:

Arbitrarity
2008-03-29, 07:40 PM
I say... Glibness, Improvisation, Major Image.

And for non-"spell" casters... Artificers with Bane weapons at level 1 > much. I love quintessence, and the power which grants line of effect through a scry window.

GammaPaladin
2008-03-29, 08:10 PM
I can find multiple downsides to it:
1st) You do not gain Gargantuan until Caster Level 16 (So 15th level via ioun stone, not that big of an issue) and Colossal until CL 19 (18th or 17th level, depending). The huge and gargantuan sizes are nifty, but, you are doing better by the time you get colossal access.
2nd) It's a Wu Jen only spell.
3rd) You are using a spell slot for it of at least 7th level.
4th) It has a casting time of 1 round, so, you don't get its effects immediately. You wait until the following round.

Yes, yes.

But you're missing the complete and UTTER cheese that is a WuJen5/Swordsage5/Jade Phoenix Mage 10

Practiced Spellcaster and Arcane Thesis get you to caster level 19 for the purposes of casting Giant Size (Which you have, because you are effectively a WuJen13 with regard to spells known), and you have an Initiator level of 16 (Sadly there's no way I can think of to quite squeeze in that one last initiator level to get Tornado Throw).

You can now grow to colossal size and use Ballista Throw on Ancient Wyrm Dragons.

Of course, the coolest thing is if your DM lets you make custom wondrous items via the DMG cost formula. Then you just go Swordsage 20 and have an item of persistent Giant Size made. Then you get your Tornado Throw to go with your colossal size. And the +16 it gives you to your trip attempts will translate into about 18d6 extra damage on the attack.

It's not horribly broken or anything... But c'mon... Picking up dragons and throwing them! Tell me that's not cool ;)

mabriss lethe
2008-03-29, 10:18 PM
My favorite thing to do is word the curse so it abates if they perform a certain course of action, inform them of this fact, and then watch them squirm.

I love a good multifaceted curse. What I like even more is skewing the curse so that it turns out to be slightly beneficial (requires a forgiving DM and a lot of fast talking.)

one of my favorites was reversing the way the PC rogue's eyes interpreted light and dark. He could see perfectly clearly in pitch blackness, but thought he was plunged into darkness when out in daylight. the curse came off something like "You've followed the shadowed path your entire life, now reap its rewards. As you embrace the darkness, so too, does the light of the world shun you."

I've helped the party bard escape notice from hostile city watchmen by placing a curse on her that transformed her from a beautiful young woman into a hook faced, hunched old crone. I don't remember what particular phrasing I used for that one.

he best part is doing stuff like that as a warlock, because you can do it all day long. even, technically, to yourself. And if I remember correctly, a warlock can dismiss his invocations whenever he likes.

Reinboom
2008-03-30, 12:13 AM
It's not horribly broken or anything... But c'mon... Picking up dragons and throwing them! Tell me that's not cool ;)

That's not cool.

I've only said this because you told me to. :smallconfused:

I don't have Spell Compendium, but I would expect that Dimension Shuffle would offer a save when used against an enemy. Isn't the big appeal of Maze the fact that it doesn't offer a save?

I just pointed to the maze (and the reason I said 'minor') due to the creatures being actually "nonexisting" for 3 rounds.
But yes, dimension shuffle (player's handbook 2, btw) allows a will save.
It's still mass target however, and as such, it's still a great combo for only requiring a level 5 and level 6 spell to use.

Other fun spells (note: I'm a sorcerer fan):

Arcane Fusion / Arcane Fusion Greater (Complete Mage)
Mass cast a torrent of utility spells, buffs, and early offense in 1 round. Uses only a standard action, can be combined together for an even larger mix, and there's nothing stopping you from using another swift spell in the mix.
3 Spells in 1 round, using only 2 spell slots? Yay!
4 Spells in 1 round, using only 2 spell slots? :smallamused:

Glyde
2008-03-30, 12:25 AM
"End to Strife"

All intelligent creatures know that if they attack anything at all while around the caster, there will be 'dire consequences'.

It's fun when the players don't know that dire consequences is 20d6 to the face for every attack they make. No save.

This is seconded only by another exalted spell: Celestial Aspect.

It's a decent spell, and it's damn cool to play out. Pretty much what the spell says: you gain a celestial aspect for a while. Fun to add celestial-style ram horns to your already ram-horned covered head.

Ganurath
2008-03-30, 12:40 AM
The 3.0 Command. My best NPC combined that with Zone of Truth to run the government of a Hextorian village.

Kristoss
2008-03-30, 12:48 AM
Reincarnate.

"Aww, the poor wittle half-orc is a kobolt now".
Screw with your friends. This is why I like druidss more then clerics.

Squash Monster
2008-03-30, 12:49 AM
All this talk of Mindrape and no talk of Love's Pain? The two spells are right next to eachother in the book, and the combo is so obvious and hideously powerful. I'm shocked that so few people know it.

Step one: grab commoner
Step two: Mindrape commoner
Step three: tell commoner his truest love is (insert annoying protagonist)
Step four: cast Love's Pain on commoner with all remaining spell slots

No save, no SR, no range limit.

Hectonkhyres
2008-03-30, 01:11 AM
Reincarnate.

"Aww, the poor wittle half-orc is a kobolt now".
Half-kobold, half-crossbow bolt... all good fun for your half-ogre with the world's biggest crossbow.

Technically, won't end a grapple, since the Cone can only radiate out from one of the corners in your square, and the grappler is in the square with you.
If your DM is that hard assed, you need to get a new one. Or start giving the old one shots of single malt scotch during a game until he starts to improve.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-30, 02:17 AM
If your DM is that hard assed, you need to get a new one. Or start giving the old one shots of single malt scotch during a game until he starts to improve.

My DM would never even think of this. Only I can be that Rules Lawyerish.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-30, 05:53 AM
The proper response for the DM, if you brought that up (or vice versa) would be to pick up the appropriate rules manual, and then calmly and logically beat you with it.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-03-30, 08:10 AM
The proper response for the DM, if you brought that up (or vice versa) would be to pick up the appropriate rules manual, and then calmly and logically beat you with it.

No, the proper response would be to laugh. Because it's a joke commonly told at many D&D tables called "Haha, look at the weird crap that comes up if you try o codify all the rules of the universe."

Why on earth is the only response to me pointing out a rules issue become, "Your DM is horrible and/or you should be beaten." At what point did talking about the rules necessarily imply that you were in full agreement?

Everyman
2008-03-30, 12:31 PM
I think I can narrow it to three, but no fewer...

1) Major Image: Combine it with a good bluff check, and there are very few situations that you can't fool your way out of.

2) Prestidigitation: Good times.

3) Glibness: See "Major Image"

AmberVael
2008-03-30, 12:42 PM
Other fun spells (note: I'm a sorcerer fan):

Arcane Fusion / Arcane Fusion Greater (Complete Mage)
Mass cast a torrent of utility spells, buffs, and early offense in 1 round. Uses only a standard action, can be combined together for an even larger mix, and there's nothing stopping you from using another swift spell in the mix.
3 Spells in 1 round, using only 2 spell slots? Yay!
4 Spells in 1 round, using only 2 spell slots? :smallamused:

Completely agreed. ^-^
I love those spells. Any sorcerer I play has them (unless I'm not allowed access).

Emperor Tippy
2008-03-30, 04:39 PM
Mind Rape of course. It's just so fun. Although there is 1 9th level spell in the Book of Erotic Fantasy thats quite fun (I just can't remember it at the moment).

SilentNight
2008-03-30, 05:51 PM
Arcane sight. Blue eyes, detect magic and invisibility W/O concentration.