PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know how to get svg files on the net?

lothofkalroth
2008-03-28, 10:03 PM
okay, kudos to bloodyredcommie for cluing me in to inkscape, but how the hell do i get the files on the internet?

i tried to save them as pdf's but i can't find a way to get them on the net, and it wont save them as jpegs...

HELP PLZ!!! :smalleek:

Renegade Paladin
2008-03-28, 10:17 PM
What do you mean? How do you host them? :smallconfused:

B-Man
2008-03-28, 10:19 PM
If you mean for your avatars, you would need to export them to PNG format.
You can do that by going to File>Export Bitmap (or shift+ctrl+E, if a Windows user). Then you would upload the PNG file to an image hosting site.

lothofkalroth
2008-03-28, 11:10 PM
ahhh, many thanx to ye!!!!

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/A_light_in_the_Dark/?action=view&current=lothconcept.png

hopefully this will be the fruits of my labor!!!

Rawhide
2008-03-28, 11:12 PM
If it includes transparencies, exporting it to GIF would be a much better option. Seeing as transparencies in PNG format are (unfortunately) not universally supported.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-29, 10:28 AM
Seeing as transparencies in PNG format are (unfortunately) not universally supported.
Outta curiosity there any almost-common browsers within the last couple of generations other than IE 6 that don't support PNG. IE 6 is the only one I ever hear about. But I don't wanna make an ass out of myself by disparaging that one if there's also other prey. :smallwink:

As near as I can tell, Inkscape only exports to PNG for bitmaps. So you'll need to import the resulting PNG into another program that can convert it to GIF.

Or you can just dodge the issue and make sure the whole thing is on a background of #F0E7D3, which is the background color of the field avatars appear on.

Rawhide
2008-03-29, 10:33 AM
Outta curiosity there any almost-common browsers within the last couple of generations other than IE 6 that don't support PNG. IE 6 is the only one I ever hear about. But I don't wanna make an ass out of myself by disparaging that one if there's also other prey. :smallwink:

No, to my knowledge its pretty much just IE6, which unfortunately is still common enough.

Bayar
2008-03-29, 02:26 PM
SVG files cant be uploaded as images. But if you, for example, want to share it with other people, you can send it through E-mail, Messenger, or websites that let you upload/download files.

And it actually looks good. Keep up the awesomeness !

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-03-29, 09:26 PM
No, to my knowledge its pretty much just IE6, which unfortunately is still common enough.
Regrettably. :smallsigh:

I was pretty sure I wasn't missing anything. I like to think I keep up on these things, and I usually double check on most of the major browsers before I do anything experimental myself.

And while we're on the subject, I would like to point out that Opera has decent support for actual SVG files. Though I have yet to try out any of the interactivity options.