PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Druid with the Shapeshift Alternative Class Feature

matthewmw64
2008-03-29, 03:04 AM
Hi All,

I'm tempted to play a druid in our next D&D campaign and was wondering what most peoples opinions of the Shapeshift Class feature form PHB2 seems. Looking at it, it doesn't seem too overpowered and seems to shy away more form the spellcasting side of the Druid, which is what I;m more after. It also seems like something that the rest fo the party would enjoy working alongside. As far as I can tell, we have a Grey Elf Wizard and a Dwarven Knight (Who will take levels in Dwarven Defender as soon as possible)

Any thoughts at all are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthew

Chronicled
2008-03-29, 03:10 AM
Hi All,

I'm tempted to play a druid in our next D&D campaign and was wondering what most peoples opinions of the Shapeshift Class feature form PHB2 seems. Looking at it, it doesn't seem too overpowered and seems to shy away more form the spellcasting side of the Druid, which is what I;m more after. It also seems like something that the rest fo the party would enjoy working alongside. As far as I can tell, we have a Grey Elf Wizard and a Dwarven Knight (Who will take levels in Dwarven Defender as soon as possible)

Any thoughts at all are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthew

It's much better balanced than the normal Druid. I require this variant + the Spontaneous Rejuvenation (also PH2) for anyone playing a druid in my campaigns. It brings them in line with the rest of the party. It also eases up on the bookkeeping and (I'm told) makes Druids a lot more fun to play.

It actually frequently ends up shifting Druids more towards spellcasting, since melee isn't as powerful an option as before. Also, several of your buffs don't stack with your shapeshift bonuses.

I'd mention to your Dwarf pal that sticking with Knight is a far better option than going into Dwarven Defender. Dwarven Defender is a pretty bad PrC.

matthewmw64
2008-03-29, 03:14 AM
I was thinking of taking the Spontaeneous Rejuvenation Alternate Class feature, but it just looks really really terrible to me personally.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-03-29, 03:17 AM
Shapeshift is rather well-balanced and with some optimisation it can do its work but will not overshadow the whole party as a normal druid would even without any optimisation. Not bad at all, but it makes small-sized races rather sub-optimal choices, as well as losing the normal charm of "don't spend any points in Str and Dex".

Dwarven Defender, is a very, very awkward PrC. Sure it can hold its ground quite well but outside its 5-ft square it's no more than a fixture in the battleground. I'd recommend Deep Warden PrC (or whatever its name was) from RoS, as well as Deepstone Sentinel from ToB if the player insists on playing a DD. At least he/she can create barriers to control the battlefield beyond his 5~10ft. reach. It could be used to ready an action to create a stone barrier in front of a charging creature, I guess.

I was thinking of taking the Spontaeneous Rejuvenation Alternate Class feature, but it just looks really really terrible to me personally.

I agree that it's quite bad but then again everyone's entitled to their opinions. Depend on your character concept, it might be just the thing that you need! A servant of nature channelling the power of nature to cure his allies!

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-29, 03:20 AM
In regards to Spontaneous Rejuvanation, I'm gussing that Chronicled likes it due to it preventing Druids from samming SNA spells (someone else had that problem with one of their players, but they solved the problem by limiting the Druid to one summoned creature at any one time). I'd like to play as opne due to it needing much less bookeeping (I'm quite a new player, and I tend to lose track of things easily). Also, I'm not really a powergamer, which is another reason why I like the look of the class.

Chronicled
2008-03-29, 03:22 AM

Oh, it's a horrible swap :smallamused:. That's why I require it. It keeps the party Druid in line.

Spontaneous Summon Nature's Ally is, in the right hands, an almost too good class feature on its own. When you've had an encounter overwhelmed by a massive "Operation: Bear Drop," you'll see what I mean. (Also, summoning a Unicorn can give more healing than same level healing spells.)

Tempest Fennac
2008-03-29, 07:45 AM
Do you think limiting the Druid to 1 summoned animal at any one time would help as much? I know it wouldn;t help with unicorns, but would it stop the class feature from being too overpowered with other creatures.