PDA

View Full Version : About explosive runes.

droyer
2008-03-29, 10:47 AM
If you cast explosive runes on a coin press, would every coin then explode upon reading?

Mattarias, King.
2008-03-29, 10:49 AM
:smalleek: No... But if you made a coin press that CAST explosive runes on all it made.. Well.. :smalleek: ...

:smallbiggrin:

Nohwl
2008-03-29, 10:51 AM
were you planning on handing out copper pieces that explode to everyone in town?

droyer
2008-03-29, 10:51 AM
But that would be very difficult to sneak into a town.

droyer
2008-03-29, 10:52 AM
were you planning on handing out copper pieces that explode to everyone in town?

Yes, yes I was.

Nohwl
2008-03-29, 10:54 AM
cast fly and drop the copper pieces from the sky. you wont be next to anyone reading them that way.

Adumbration
2008-03-29, 11:01 AM
Hey, how much do you think a Stamper of Explosive Runes (say, 3/day) would cost? Might be fun.

MorkaisChosen
2008-03-29, 11:10 AM
It's a 3rd level spell, so a Sorcerer can cast it 3 times a day (4 with Cha 16) at level 6. Oh, the joys... One casting of it would cost 150gp from an NPC wizard...

This has possibilities...

droyer
2008-03-29, 11:15 AM
Does anyone know how much a quill pen cost? Now that would be funny. You mass produce them and sell them to the public. Then you run to the next town before they get you.

Jack_Simth
2008-03-29, 11:23 AM
Does anyone know how much a quill pen cost? Now that would be funny. You mass produce them and sell them to the public. Then you run to the next town before they get you.
An ink pen is in the PHB - 1 silver piece.

Xuincherguixe
2008-03-29, 12:33 PM
I like the way you think, but I don't believe you can do so.

Going to be a bit tricky to come up with a way to produce coins in large enough quantities for real chaos though I suspect.

Flickerdart
2008-03-29, 12:36 PM
How much is a Platinum piece? Would you incur significant losses for printing those instead of gold, since 150gp for 1gp worth isn't that productive?

droyer
2008-03-29, 12:40 PM
1 PP = 10GP
You still lose money.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-03-29, 12:49 PM
To create a magic item which cranks out Explosive Runes, by the Magic Item Creation Guidelines (who also has the rules for making an untyped magic item which constantly bestows a True Strike or Wraithstrike effect for less than 10k, so take it with a grain of salt), it would cost:

3rd level spell * 5th level caster * 2,000 * .5 (for having a duration of greater than 24 hours, which is to say, Permanent) = 15,000 gold pieces *2 for No space limitations = 30,000 to make an item which can create an unlimited number of Explosive Runes per day.

A nice GM might cut the cost in half if the object is as big as a minting machine, as it is bulky and hard to move around.

Have a nice day.

Flickerdart
2008-03-29, 12:58 PM
That's not that much at all. For only 7,500 GP per party member if the party is average size, you can completely obliterate an country's economy!

Even more devious. Isn't there a Metamagic feat that allows the spell effects to be delayed? Delayed Explosive Runes on the suckers, set time for, like, a year, and roll out!

droyer
2008-03-29, 02:30 PM
That's not that much at all. For only 7,500 GP per party member if the party is average size, you can completely obliterate an country's economy!

Even more devious. Isn't there a Metamagic feat that allows the spell effects to be delayed? Delayed Explosive Runes on the suckers, set time for, like, a year, and roll out!

But it's not funny unless you see it!:smallbiggrin:

Randel
2008-03-29, 02:34 PM
A few thoughts:

1. You could try using the resetting trap guidelines for cost. Say its a trap that casts explosive runes on an object set on it. Best to be careful when using it.

2. Could try one of The Giants metamagic feats that makes the damage delt be non-lethal. Still blows up and knocks people out but shouldn't kill too many people.

3. There is the metamagic feat Fell Animate (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Fell_Animate,LM) from Libri Mortis that reanimates people killed by a spell as zombies under your control. Take Corpsecrafter and Destruction Retribution (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Destruction_Retribution,LM) and any zombie you make explodes with negative energy when slain. Make a bunch of things that explode when read, and anyone killed by them rise as zombies that explode when slain... and heal other nearby zombies. Create the most explosive zombie apocalypse ever!

4. If you can cast explosive runes, just get some level 3 pearls of power (unless you are going for some metamagic stuff) so you can cast it several more times a day, craft them yourself to save cash and you can still use them to recall other 3rd or lower level spells. Or during normal adventuring, leave a 3rd lvl slot open and if you need it for something else spend 15 minutes filling it. Otherwise use it for Explosive Runes (leaving you and your team mates out of the people who detonate it) and just put all of the items in a special bag in one of the side pouches of your handy haversack where you won't lose them.

5. Oh, and you might want to use silver pieces, platinum pieces are expensive but very few people acually use them. If people see that platinum pieces are exploding, they will just collect all of them and have bomb squads deal with them. Same to a degree with gold pieces (though they are common in shops I guess common folk don't use them too much) silver pieces are supposedly the most common. People might not even stop to pick up a copper piece but someone will get a silver piece.

Flickerdart
2008-03-29, 02:34 PM
But it's not funny unless you see it!:smallbiggrin:
Actually, that gives me an idea.

Make this happen, take Vow of Poverty and laugh as the money-grubbing fools blow themselves up a year later. Bonus points if you pretend to be a prophet and ramble on about the imminent destruction of capitalism...the second money starts exploding people will be willing to listen to you. Then you erect a Communist state and it keeps getting better from there.

droyer
2008-03-29, 02:54 PM
Actually, that gives me an idea.

Make this happen, take Vow of Poverty and laugh as the money-grubbing fools blow themselves up a year later. Bonus points if you pretend to be a prophet and ramble on about the imminent destruction of capitalism...the second money starts exploding people will be willing to listen to you. Then you erect a Communist state and it keeps getting better from there.

As ashamed as I am to say it, I only have the core books so I don't know what Vow of Poverty does.

Roderick_BR
2008-03-29, 02:57 PM
If you cast explosive runes on a coin press, would every coin then explode upon reading?
Nothing will happen to the coins it presses, but if someone reads an inscribbing on the machine itself, it'll explode. :smallamused:

FlyMolo
2008-03-29, 03:00 PM
As ashamed as I am to say it, I only have the core books so I don't know what Vow of Poverty does.

In return for not using magic or masterwork items, you're getting a, frankly, buttload of exalted bonus feats, it gives bonuses on stats, saves, AC, and weapons. It's design to replace magic items. It's less flexible, though. No fly speed, for one.

droyer
2008-03-29, 03:02 PM
In return for not using magic or masterwork items, you're getting a, frankly, buttload of exalted bonus feats, it gives bonuses on stats, saves, AC, and weapons. It's design to replace magic items. It's less flexible, though. No fly speed, for one.

Doesn't seem like my kind of thing. I mean, discovering what stuff does is always funny.

Jack_Simth
2008-03-29, 03:36 PM
I like the way you think, but I don't believe you can do so.

Going to be a bit tricky to come up with a way to produce coins in large enough quantities for real chaos though I suspect.

Fabricate copper. Should do the job.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-03-29, 04:28 PM
Wall of Iron is also nice for ruining enconomies. In simple terms, it costs 50 gold of components to make something like 3,000 gp worth of raw iron if you chop it up, used as a luxury item. Deflate the world's Iron market! Even better, do this in Krynn where Iron is stupidly expensive!!

Solo
2008-03-29, 04:30 PM
Wall of Iron is also nice for ruining enconomies. In simple terms, it costs 50 gold of components to make something like 3,000 gp worth of raw iron if you chop it up, used as a luxury item. Deflate the world's Iron market! Even better, do this in Krynn where Iron is stupidly expensive!!

Arm your Legions of Doom with masterwork weapons, and roam around the countryside in your mobile Fortress of Oppression.