PDA

View Full Version : Order of The Stick Wiki!

Ardolich45
2008-03-29, 11:30 AM
I have sent in a request for an Order of The Stick wiki! No word on it yet, but I hope it passes! Anyone is welcome to join if it passes, but you must obey all wiki rules. :smallsmile:

Constantinople
2008-03-29, 11:37 AM
Problem: Discussion and archiving of events, people and places that happen in the storyline of Order of the Stick may lead to people discussing what happens in Start of Darkness and Origin of the PCs, something which is frowned down upon by Rich and the Moderators. I'd doubt they'd allow something to happen.

Plus it could be trolled, leading only more work, fairly pointless work at that, for the moderators to do.

NerfTW
2008-03-29, 11:44 AM
Problem: Discussion and archiving of events, people and places that happen in the storyline of Order of the Stick may lead to people discussing what happens in Start of Darkness and Origin of the PCs, something which is frowned down upon by Rich and the Moderators. I'd doubt they'd allow something to happen.

Plus it could be trolled, leading only more work, fairly pointless work at that, for the moderators to do.

Um, since when? They just want it in spoilers so people don't get anything spoiled on them.

Also, the wiki would be off site, not here. The mods here would have nothing to do with it.

That said, I think a wiki for Order of the Stick is a bit pointless, given how relatively short and easy to follow the comic is. Someone can jump right in and be up to speed in a week or so. It's not like some comics with thousands of strips, where important plot info is left languishing in some nether region of the archives. Rich does a very good job of reminding readers when he needs to bring up an older plot point, and since the story doesn't jump around much, and follows a very linear path, readers can easily find the original mention of a plot point.

WarriorTribble
2008-03-29, 11:49 AM
If memory serves Rich still has the "I forbid any of my artwork to appear outside of this site" going on, but then again wikipedia doesn't seem to have any issues.

NerfTW, this is a RELATIVLY short comic, but there's still hours worth of material, and sometimes it's just easier for people to read a article on a character instead of spending time combing through the archive trying to find all the significant moments for said character. At least it is for me.

aapje
2008-03-29, 01:13 PM
Uhm it already exists? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Stick

Morgan Wick
2008-03-29, 01:30 PM
In fact, if memory serves me correctly, Wikipedia has articles on individual OOTS characters. Not a lot of webcomics can claim to even have an article, let alone individual articles for each character. Regardless of whether Wikipedia makes it redundant, you can't say there's no need for one period.

Zrana
2008-03-29, 01:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_stick
And here is said wiki article! And it seems it's kept pretty lovingly up to date.

Edit: Awe, beaten to it. I knew I shouldn't have sat and read for awhile before posting...

Szilard
2008-03-29, 01:41 PM
Uhm it already exists? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Stick

That would be an article, not an actual wiki.

What kind of wiki would it be? A Wikia wiki? there are several others as well.

NerfTW
2008-03-29, 02:19 PM
Exactly. A wiki is a great idea for information that is spread out over several sources, with simualtaneously running stories that are not easily accessed. Order of the Stick only has ONE running comic, and is very structured and seperated into chapters. A Wiki would actually make the information MORE fragmented, whereas a simple article on the plot plus a quick character guide is more than enough to follow every detail of the comic.

WarriorTribble
2008-03-29, 03:03 PM
I've no idea how a wiki would fragment information unless it's badly organized to be honest. Wikia is more than just plot and character guides it's could contain trivia, maybe speculation, terse summaries instead of prose, and other things that aren't recommended for wikipedia, but might still be wanted by the fanbase.

Studoku
2008-03-29, 03:34 PM
Call it stickipedia.:smallsmile:

NerfTW
2008-03-29, 03:58 PM
It would fragment the information because, as I stated, there isn't that much information to write. One page for the story synopsis (which Wikipedia already has) and maybe one page for the main characters, and one for the secondary. Most secondary character bios, with the exception of a few, are completely contained within the story arc they appeared in. A wiki is intended more for compiling multiple sources into one page.

Storyline speculation would be more relevent in, say, this forum?

WarriorTribble
2008-03-29, 04:32 PM
You'd be surprised. If you check out the OOTS on wikipedia you'd see that each of the major protagonists, antagonists, and She-Who-Must-Never-Be-Named have their own personal page. Your definition of wiki confuses me. If you limit it in that fashion, how would you validate the wikis for say... Heroes, Lost, Reboot, Ugly Betty etc? The purpose of wikia is to simply allow niche fandoms to have their own wikis with their own rules for notability and what not. Whether or not said fandom has multiple sources like Star Wars seems irrelevant.

Speculation would really depend on the fanbase's consensus. Heroes wikia, and Memory Alpha (the Star Trek wiki) allows it, while the Battlestar Galactica wiki forbids it.

Mauve Shirt
2008-03-29, 04:40 PM
It should encompass insane forumite theories too!

Ardolich45
2008-03-29, 04:52 PM
Enough arguing. WarriorTribble has a point. There is a massive amount of info for Oreder of The Stick. Does Wikipedia have an article for every character? No. A wiki can be much more in-depth than Wikipedia. You don't see an article for :thog: :sabine: :nale: or :roach:, do you?

ChaoticEvilGuy
2008-03-29, 04:56 PM
Call it stickipedia.:smallsmile:

I was thinking of Stick Wiki

Ardolich45
2008-03-29, 05:01 PM
It's already Order of The Stick Wiki. And to all of you who don't want the wiki to be made, tough. It's already been made. Flame me if you want. :smallmad:

Schnitzel
2008-04-01, 07:30 AM
I think an OotS wiki is a great idea.
Note that Wikipedia only contains general description of the comic, and character descriptions.
A specific wiki for OotS can have so much more:
Pages for locations (Azure City, Cliffport),
pages for the minorest characters (e.g. "unnamed evil wizard", "Soy Latte"),
a page for each comic, which can include a description, transcript (if it doesn't violate any copyright issues), and even statistics (such as character appearances).
Most of the statistics threads in the forum, such as character appearances and the graveyard can have their own pages as well.

Here's an example for a webcomic wiki:
http://pennyarcade.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

OP: Make sure Rich doesn't have any problems with this wiki... you wouldn't want to be forced to remove it.

Khosan
2008-04-01, 12:28 PM
Enough arguing. WarriorTribble has a point. There is a massive amount of info for Oreder of The Stick. Does Wikipedia have an article for every character? No. A wiki can be much more in-depth than Wikipedia. You don't see an article for :thog: :sabine: :nale: or :roach:, do you?

There aren't individual articles, but the ones for the Linear Guild (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Guild) and everyone else (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_the_Order_of_the_Stick) seem to be good enough.

turkishproverb
2008-04-01, 12:48 PM
I have sent in a request for an Order of The Stick wiki! No word on it yet, but I hope it passes! Anyone is welcome to join if it passes, but you must obey all wiki rules. :smallsmile:

Good luck. If Penny arcade, SHortpacked, and Megatokyo have a wiki each, than OOTS definitelly should.

P.S. People, you do understand the difference between a wikia and a wikipidedia page, right?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-04-01, 03:36 PM
It's already Order of The Stick Wiki. And to all of you who don't want the wiki to be made, tough. It's already been made. Flame me if you want. :smallmad:Uh, a link might be helpful if you want us to go start contributing?

I think this is a "maybe" idea. I can't really think of a reason why there should be an OotS wiki; Megatokyo, The Walky!verse, Penny Arcade, etc. have their own wikis because they've been running for 7-10 years each and have massive, sprawling, overly-confusing continuities (except for Penny Arcade, which has zero). However, it's not like we're running out of Internet to put stuff on, so I see no reason why there shouldn't be an OotS wiki either.

thogcool1242
2008-04-01, 04:51 PM
What doe wiki mean

Firestar27
2008-04-01, 07:42 PM
What doe wiki mean

It means a page of information (like an encyclopedia) that anyone can edit. Although risky (because anyone can edit), they allow barely known pieces of information to become widely known. Usually there is a copy of the page saved, so that if someone edits the page and deletes everything, the backup can be restored.

Ardolich45
2008-04-01, 07:44 PM
Link: oots.wikia.com

There. And I don't care much for the haters. :smallannoyed: If you don't want the wiki to be made, TOUGH. As I said in my last post, IT'S ALREADY BEEN FRICKING MADE.

Szilard
2008-04-01, 08:23 PM
Cool, I'll be there I guess. I'm Gyasz Kudeb.

NerfTW
2008-04-02, 08:49 AM
Link: oots.wikia.com

There. And I don't care much for the haters. :smallannoyed: If you don't want the wiki to be made, TOUGH. As I said in my last post, IT'S ALREADY BEEN FRICKING MADE.

Calm down, sport. I haven't said anything since I gave my reasons why I thought it was pointless, and that's the second time you made that comment. I don't care if it's made or not, this is a message board, where we give, shockingly, opinions on things. And my opinions are that Wiki's have a tendency to be overused.

Ziggy's_Roady
2008-04-02, 09:28 AM
Did you just copy everything frfom the main Wiki?

Niknokitueu
2008-04-02, 10:12 AM
What kind of wiki would it be? A Wikia wiki? there are several others as well.
A Wicki Wicki? Wooo... (Sorry, couldn't resist :smallbiggrin: )

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-04, 01:03 PM
If memory serves Rich still has the "I forbid any of my artwork to appear outside of this site" going on, but then again wikipedia doesn't seem to have any issues.

Hells yeah fair use law. An author can't prevent their artwork being used if it falls under the fair use criteria. (http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/ca9/newopinions.nsf/B4EF4058496AF3AB88257170007CD791/$file/0356559.pdf) We can't discuss this here, but we could go into further detail on said wiki.

Renegade Paladin
2008-04-04, 01:58 PM
A word of caution: If an OotS wiki comes into being, many editors at Wikipedia will want to delete the OotS articles there and send the contents over to the OotS wiki.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-04-05, 03:44 AM
A word of caution: If an OotS wiki comes into being, many editors at Wikipedia will want to delete the OotS articles there and send the contents over to the OotS wiki.

Hah! Then I shall defend those articles from the deletionists with my +2 sword of inclusionism!

turkishproverb
2008-04-05, 04:07 AM

Would've happened anyway if the right editors saw the thing and knew it wasn't on network TV. the Gundam Wikipedia pages have been suffering inane and illogical purges for years now.

BURNhollywoodBURN
2008-04-05, 07:43 AM
Good luck. If Penny arcade, SHortpacked, and Megatokyo have a wiki each, than OOTS definitelly should.

P.S. People, you do understand the difference between a wikia and a wikipidedia page, right?
Don't forget Casey and Andy.

Schnitzel
2008-06-01, 04:11 AM
The wiki is up and running!
Help us expand it!

http://oots.wikia.com/

The Extinguisher
2008-06-01, 12:09 PM
You'd be surprised. If you check out the OOTS on wikipedia you'd see that each of the major protagonists, antagonists, and She-Who-Must-Never-Be-Named have their own personal page. Your definition of wiki confuses me. If you limit it in that fashion, how would you validate the wikis for say... Heroes, Lost, Reboot, Ugly Betty etc? The purpose of wikia is to simply allow niche fandoms to have their own wikis with their own rules for notability and what not. Whether or not said fandom has multiple sources like Star Wars seems irrelevant.

Speculation would really depend on the fanbase's consensus. Heroes wikia, and Memory Alpha (the Star Trek wiki) allows it, while the Battlestar Galactica wiki forbids it.

A few of those are rather pointless, but Heroes and Lost are also extremely confusing. Not to mention they don't have their back issues a single click away.

Regneva
2008-06-01, 12:49 PM
This has been discussed before.

I and Zicmu have started a similar project called "ootspedia". It mainly focuses on what each strip means, how it relates to role playing etc.

You could search about it in this forum.

Schnitzel
2008-06-02, 01:17 AM
I searched for the project, and I couldn't really find anything after the OOTSpedia Demo (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54299), which includes a broken link to the demo file.

I think a wiki is better, since it allows every user to edit freely and easily (and doesn't require any knowledge of programming or website authoring).

Paragon Badger
2008-06-02, 01:52 AM
Would that make it a... Order of the Stiki?

I'm so sorry. :smalltongue:

...No, I'm not. :smallbiggrin:

Jayngfet
2008-06-02, 10:20 PM
Will it have the oots style strips, it would be criminal not to, I'll add some this weekend if I can.

liuquinlin
2008-06-04, 03:32 PM
Nice, there's finally a Wiki for OOTS!
I'm going to try to help by creating pages for it, since I have a lot of free time.