PDA

View Full Version : Desert Blood

Lost Sage
2008-03-29, 09:17 PM
Evening

The sun sets red across the far dunes as Ali tends his evening camp. Evening, a hunters time. Shasha and he are full, and content to watch the sunset as their neighbours go about their business. Sasha perks up her ears as a flick of shadow tells of a desert fox off to make his rounds. But a glance to Ali settles her back down. The human says to rest now, and that she will do. It is wise to conserve for times to come.

A light breath of wind raises the hairs on Ali's neck, and some whispered words send a thrill through his nerves. Only one person would speak to him thus. Tonight was going to be busy after all.

"I have need of your services. Now. Side door as usual. Bring your friend. The red one."

Ali speculates briefly about his employer. He doesn't know much about the woman. She lives in a walled palace on the outskirts of the city. A small palace with but a few servants and no slaves. If that wasn't odd enough there was always the air of magic about her. Nothing overt mind you. But it was like air around her. Like the message he just heard.

Ali shakes his head. No time for daydreaming. He would have to move quickly. He packs up his few belongings and starts moving. Shasha is already scouting ahead.

Human Paragon 3
2008-03-31, 01:19 PM
Ali Elmer

The cold desert air swirls around the pair as they head to the city. The first time he visited the place, they'd told him that Sasha was not allowed in the streets. Once. Now the people knew to leave the dark man and his wolf alone, that if left to their own divices there would cause no trouble.

They paused at the city walls. He could scale them, as he had in the past, but there was no reason anymore, since Mohsen had shown him the secret entrance. The door was almost pefectly disguised, but those who know where it is can find it.

The red one. In some ways, he was everything that is wrong with the city men. Flippant, arrogant, and selfish. But his heart was in the right place, and Ali could deal with him. Together, they moved toward their goals. Much like his mysterious employer, he was an ally of circumstances, and one whose services were also needed.

The Hassan Watering Hole is not the finest establishment in the city. Most commonly referred to simply as "The Hole," it is servicable enough for the common men who drink there, eager to escape their wives and children for the night, or perhaps in need of wine to relax away the pains of the day. Ali was known there, but not exactly welcome. The wolf disturbs the patrons.

As he walks through the door, the place quiets and glances are aimed at him. Most try to ignore the desert man.

There you are, Mohsen, Ali says, spying the rogue. We have a job tonight.

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-01, 11:42 AM
Farjad Mansoor

It had been a rambunctious night thus far in the old Hole. The dive was generally too gloomy and depressing to suit Farjad's tastes, and the man only slipped in on occasion to listen to gossip and occasionally let slip a tale about 'Mohsen the Crimson'. He was quite fond of subtly campaigning for himself, and establishments such as this made it possible to do discretely. Tonight, however, the laughter was louder and the music a tad more lively - or maybe it just seemed that way due to the presence of a particularly charming serving girl who took a keen interest in his tales.

Farjad was lounging on a large cushion, goblet held firmly with one hand while the other darted to and fro extravagantly as he told his stories. He'd managed to procur a small audience by the time he heard the gruff yet familiar voice behind him.

Ali Elmer
There you are, Mohsen, Ali says, spying the rogue. We have a job tonight.

Damn. Farjad leans around to see the nomad Ali standing behind him (accompanies, as always, by that unnerving mongrel). He quickly affects a booming laugh and gestures towards the man. "Hahaha! My friend here gets so weary of hearing my tales about 'the Crimson' that he began to call me 'Mohsen'! A worthy compliment, but one that will get me killed one day, I fear!" Farjad rises up from his cushion, pulls his cloak on tight, and tosses a gold coin to the serving girl. "You were a delightful hostess, my dear. However, a good trader's work is never done! Blessings to you all." With a slight bow, Farjad turns and starts walking toward the exit with Ali. Rubbing his long black mustache, he whispers to his counterpart as they exit. "It's dangerous to use the name 'Mohsen' in public - there's no telling who could be looking for us, and some of us try to sleep safely in this city." After they've gotten outside, Farjad loosens up a bit. "So what kind of weather does the desert hold for us this evening? Your predictions always seem to be strong omens of our fortune."

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-01, 12:26 PM
Ali Elmer

My apologies, friend. I did not mean to put you in danger- of course, we may get a taste of that tonight anyway. Sasha, down! The nomad commands his wolf companion as she growls at a prowling cat.

"So what kind of weather does the desert hold for us this evening? Your predictions always seem to be strong omens of our fortune."

Wind. He looks out at the night sky. I fear a storm is coming, and this is only a taste of it. Sasha, heel! Ali pauses and looks warily around. Something is agitating her, but I can't see what. Best to keep our wits about us.

They have walked through the city to the palace district where the aristocracy dwell along with a few rich merchants. An unassuming door, perhaps a servant's entrance, stand before them in the wall.

Ah, we are here. Ali knocks on the door with his staff. Are you ready?

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-01, 12:49 PM
Farjad Mansoor

Farjad listens gravely to Ali's forecast, realizing the portent it could possibly bear. After a moment he shakes his head to clear such thoughts. Bah! Don't be foolish - no storm at sea gave Mohsen pause, and no storm on land will do so either! In response to Ali's question, the man whips off his cloak and begins to start pulling deep red fabric out of some pocket inside of it. As he continued pulling, the cloak seemed to diminish. It soon became apparant that he was literally turning the two-layered cloak inside-out. Soon he donned the garment, now a deep crimson color. With a smirk, he replies to the nomad. "NOW I'm ready."

Lost Sage
2008-04-01, 02:58 PM
The torch above the side entrance is dark but the moon illuminates the doorway adequately. After a minute or two the door opens to a dark interior and the familiar silhouette of the butler.

"Any interest in your approach?" he asks, eyeing you critically. When you answer the negative he nods, sticks his head out to peer back and forth in the gloom, then ushers you inside.

Once inside he un-shields a lantern and leads you through a dark kitchen into the main halls. Leaving the light he takes you forward to the front of the house, over plush hall carpets and past well-appointed rooms. Depositing you in a waiting rooms he informs you that the mistress of the house will be with you shortly and departs.

You've been in this room before. It is well furnished but not opulently so. Chairs to sit, a table for refreshments, and pleasant pictures for passing the time. Your eyes are drawn to the particular decoration that you noticed last time you where here. An arch of inlaid wood graces the side wall. The wall looks solid enough both inside and outside the arch, but you can't escape the feeling that one does not put an arch on a wall for no reason.

You wait.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-01, 03:08 PM
Ali Elmer

Curious... Ali remarks. Sasha stairs at the archway nervously, looking from it to Ali and back. He strokes her fur, calming her.

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-01, 03:29 PM
Farjad Mansoor - just a few more articles away from being 'Mohsen the Crimson'

Once the butler shows them into the usual room, Farjad quickly removes his cloak and drapes it on a seat for the moment. With a swiftness that is obviously practiced, Farjad doffs his shirt and begins pulling it inside-out as well, hiding its typical light brown color and revealing the crimson layer underneath. He begins worming back into it as he speaks. "I have my doubts that I'm fast enough to have my trousers reversed before the lady enters; besides, you've done nothing cruel enough to deserve being exposed to that, Ali," he adds jokingly.

Lost Sage
2008-04-02, 12:18 AM
The Meeting

Farjad is just about finished as a lady walks in. As is her custom she is fully veiled; all one can see is dark eyes that flick over Farjad as he reaches for his cloak. Behind her a huge male bodyguard enters and eye's you suspiciously.

The lady seats herself and begins without fanfare. "Welcome. Thank you for coming on such short notice. Time is of the essence." She pauses to give you time to say your greetings, then continues, "The Adab block is looking for more powers for the elite guard - to 'keep the peace' in light of the recent riots. You know what that means..." she says, glancing at Ali meaningfully. "My information sources have identified a document that would be crucial in exposing what is really going on. It is critical that we get it. you need to go now, before it is moved and we loose track of it again."

"The document is sitting on the writing desk of Shahin abin Tooraj. Go to his manor at the East end of the Palace district. You know it? Good. On the West wall, second window from the South edge. Second story. Enter that window. The desk is on the North wall. The document is on the top left of the desk and has a gold seal. It is the only document on the top of the desk. There are dogs on the grounds so you will have to deal with them. The guards will not bother you if no noise is made. Take only the document." the lady emphasizes, looking sharply at Farjad. "You will be well-enough paid and this is no time to take risks.

"Shahin will be out for another hour or two. When he comes back he may well move the document so you need to go now." The lady pauses again, looking back and forth between the two of you. "I need to emphasize that this could be a big break for the people of this city. Do whatever you need to do. But stop short of killing anybody."

"Any questions?"

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-02, 11:34 AM
Ali

No, I believe I understand. The nomad casts a glance at his partner in crime. Being more accustomed to this sort of activity, Farjad would likely know what questions to ask. Ali Elmer could barely keep all the targets strait. He was used to his small community, a few familiar faces. How many thousands lived in this city? And who were the ones responsible for the crimes committed against his tribe?

He had done a few jobs for this mysterious woman now, though this one seemed more important. Perhaps after this she would be more willing to share what she knew with him.

He did have a few concerns about the mission, but those would be worked out between Mohsen and himself.

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-02, 01:27 PM
Mohsen the Mostly Crimson

Mohsen nods thoughtfully to himself as the lady of the house tells them the specifics. He's mildly curious as to the contents of this document, but in his particular line of work he isn't paid to know or care about the mark - just that it arrives from one pair of hands to another. When she finishes and asks for questions, he mutters a short recap to himself. "House guards. Dogs. Window. No killing. Sounds just fine." He takes a seat and leans forward, as though he were asking a candid question. "This man...abin Tooraj. Do you know much of him? Is he a cruel man or a just master of his home? Such would determine whether his servants could be used to aid us or should be avoided entirely." Leaning back in his seat, he crosses his arms flippantly. "Apart from that, just one last bit. Know anything about the man's estate? Namely, about the presence walls or fences, as well as any gardens or courtyards. Such places are useful to lay low in while learning the routines of the guards."

Lost Sage
2008-04-02, 09:17 PM
Questions

The lady eyes Farjad/Mohsen coolly. "It would be best if no one would see you. I would not trtust the servants one way or another. The scroll should just vanish. I have been assured that the guards will be busy at the main entrance, and there is no reason for the servants to be in the room this time of night."

"As for the grounds... there is a wall around the grounds...some ground cover,... but the dogs could be a problem. I don't know if they are trained attack or just sound the alarm. There is a ledge around the manor at the second floor level that may be useful to you. There are lots of plants and vines - he is fond of them I believe - but nothing close to the window. The servants quarters is at the North of the building. The main entrance at the South. There is an inner court as you would expect. There are many rooms and staircases inside which I do not know about. I only know of the scroll location and what can be seen from the outside."

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-03, 12:27 PM
Ali

The dogs should not be a problem, and we can handle the gaurds. Unless something unexpected comes up... Ali looks meaningfully at Mohsen, recalling the time that they escaped just such a debacle together a month prior. I'll need a few minutes to mentally prepare myself for the coming task. Once I'm ready, we can leave presently.

If allowed to, Ali will take a moment to meditate, trading Cure Light Wounds for Hide From Animals.

Ali calms himself and thinks of the desert- his mind empties and expands to meet the horizon. The healing waters of life drain away and the desert creatures sense his presence hanging over them... then he merges himself with the earth and becomes invisible to them. After this purely mental excersise is over, he looks up. I am ready.

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-03, 02:05 PM
Mohsen the Crimson

Mohsen rises to his feet and puts his hands on his hips. "Ali is right; the task sounds simple enough. If unforeseen complications arise, this job will simply become more interesting." Spreading his arms, he dips into a slight theatrical bow. "With your leave, my lady." Straightening his posture, he casts a sidelong glance at his meditating partner. He opens his mouth to speak, but managed to stop himself. He was still getting used to working with a man who could harness the winds of magic. Better not interrupt him - if he doesn't concentrate on that, there's no telling what could happen to him. Or ME.

When he's finished, Mohsen addresses his partner. "I must return to my current abode to gather my tools. Do you need more time to gather your powers, or shall we go straight-away?"

Lost Sage
2008-04-03, 08:26 PM
Into the Night

The lady stands and nods to Farjad and then to Ali. "Very well then. Return here when you are successful. I'm sure you will also remember to take all precautions against being followed."

"Mahmud." she says to the guard standing by the door. "See them out when they are ready. I will be in my study."

As Ali meditates the guard stands motionless beside the door, arms crossed, eyes ahead, as if made of stone. Finally, Ali stirs "I am ready" he pronounces. The guard nods, and leads you back the way you came. You thread your way through the dark kitchen and out the servants door into the cooling evening air. Once outside, Farjad leads the way into the night.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-07, 08:51 AM
Ali Elmer

As the two walk, Ali answers his companion's question.

No, I believe my humble powers will be sufficient, as long as you have the right tools for the job. I could prepare further, but I don't believe we have the time for that, and even if we did, I may not have the strength to fight off opposition if I tax myself too far with magic.

Do you have a plan for infiltrating the house? he asks. This sort of thing was Mohsen's specialty, after all.

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-07, 11:09 AM
Mohsen the Crimson

As they set out for their first destination, Mohsen continued discussing their plan - it what seemed to be a series of colorful euphemisms. "Well, now; such a late-night visit may be somewhat rude, but it would be far worse if we were in town and didn't stop by at all. No sense in making a big clatter as we go in - might as well just hop on over into the courtyard and go straight to our bedrooms. I'd hate to be a bother, so we'll try to avoid bumping into any of the servants. Think we should bring snacks for the hounds? The neighbors certainly wouldn't appreciate their ruckus."

When they arrive back at his inn, Mohsen quickly works to reverse his cloak again, then holds it tight against his body as he reenters the inn. Looking as drowsy (and somewhat tipsy) as possible, he stomps back up to his room. Shutting the door behind him, he grabs the small table in his room and carries it across the room. He sets it down, then stands upon it and begins to reach up to begin probind at the ceiling to find the loose bit concealing his stash. After a few seconds of work he has his gear in hand, and reverses the rest of his attire. Making sure his pack is tightly secured, Mohsen then pulls out his crimson scarf and wraps it across the lower half of his face.

Mohsen scurries out his window and back down to street level, and meets back up with Ali wearing his full garb. "There! If it's as simple as the woman says, we'll be back within an hour. Unfortunately, it's almost never as simple as she says."

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-07, 11:46 AM
Ali Elmer

True enough, he agrees. Since this is a rich man, he will probably have magic, and that is always worth considering- not that you can actually be prepared for it. He says this grimly, with a hint of annoyance as he recalls past exploits.

He lowers his voice.

As for the dogs, a simple snack won't stop them. They will be well trained- I wouldn't expect Sasha to fall for such a tactic and we shouldn't expect these animals to do so either. I think a touch of our own magic should nuetralize them, though. I've learned through practice and magic to evade the senses of such beasts. When we enter the courtyard, we will be little more than scenary to them. He grins.

Lost Sage
2008-04-07, 08:33 PM
An Evening Stroll

The two companions stroll along chatting, looking for all the world like a pair of friends out for a night stroll. They circle the Manor in question. The results are not encouraging. The main gate is guarded. The guards watch you suspiciously as you pass. All you can see of the manor through the gates is the second story and two towers rising from the shrubbery. The manor grounds are surrounded by a 10 feet masonry wall topped with sharp iron spikes. A complete circuit finds no other entrances. At the back side, on the West side of the North wall, the streets are darker and you take the opportunity to hoist Mohsen to the lip of the wall to view the inside.

Mohsen sees a cart path directly below him. Apparently the path leads from the main gate around to the back where the servants entrance is. The grounds here are more open but still well kept. He can see paths and flower beds throughout the area. The North and West walls are about 80-100 feet from the manor proper. The Manor itself seems to be a large rectangular structure. The North wall is about 300' long, and the West wall about 200'. You expect that if it follows the architecture common to the city the manor would hold a large inner courtyard with fountains, beautiful flowers, gazebos and other trappings. The building would be expected to have two lines of rooms - one facing out and one facing in - except for more important areas where the rooms would span the entire width between the outer grounds and the inner courtyard. The building is 2 stories high on the North and West sides. There are two minarets rising 2 stories higher on the South-East and South-West corners.

Mohsen detects a line running along the building between the first and second floors. It could be molding. It could be a ledge. It is impossible to tell in the moonlight. Climbing vines decorate the Manor wall in a number of locations.

Edit: added more dimensions

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-09, 12:22 AM
Mohsen the Crimson

With his scarf pulled over his face, Mohsen begins to mutter to his companion. "Let's keep an eye open for a few more minutes to see if there are any city guards who patrol the area. If there aren't...Well, dead or alive, no one will notice if the two men guarding the entrance have gone missing. Still, going over the wall may be safer. Bringing," he points down at the wolf, "HER with us might be tricky if we take the high road, though."

OOC: Basically just staking out the place for a few more minutes for the above-spoken reason. Sorry to make a post that basically says "I'm stalling", but I've seen too many good characters (of others and of myself) bite the dust from rushing in too fast.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-09, 10:07 AM
Ali Elmer

Ali considers this. As talented as Sasha was, he doubted she'd be able to scale the wall. She may be able to sneak past the guards if he created a diversion, though. He voices this to Mohsen, as he looks around for inspiration.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Lost Sage
2008-04-09, 05:39 PM
All quiet...

Mohsen continues to watch as the minutes pass.... one... two... three... Something moves off to his right, inside the grounds.... A few moments later the shaows of 2 dogs trot into an open area. They pass by about 40 feet away without noticing Mohsen peering at them over the wall. He watches as they continue around the Manor. A hiss from below indicates that Ali has spotted something.

Ali has noticed a small group rounding the far corner of the wall. The two companions hurriedly back away from the wall and start strolling along the street. In a few moments they pass what looks like a noble, a servant, and two bodyguards. The two bodyguards look you over as they pass.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-10, 09:59 AM
Ali

That was close. Ali knew that this could get hairy fast. It was time to act.

Friend... he whispers to Mohsen, I grow nervous. We must act. Time is of the essense, and I fear if we linger too long by the walls, we will be exposed. What do you suggest?

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-10, 01:17 PM
Mohsen the Crimson

Mohsen discretely eyeballs the passing entourage as he lays as flat on top of the wall as he can to avoid detection. They look to be no more than a passing group. Good. Hearing Ali's whispers, he leans back down over the wall. The blood rushing into his head begins to make his face match his clothing.

"They weren't watching us. Time to lift the veil on this little raid. Leave the pup out here - she can lay low. Tell her to...I don't know, growl or something if people are near our exit point. That way we'll know when it's clear to come back over the wall again. Ready for a lift?" Mohsen slips one leg down on the opposite side of the wall to brace himself and reaches down with an arm, ready to help pull up Ali.

OOC: Aid Another on his Climb check (if it really needs a check). [roll0]

Sorry that this didn't go up 2 HOURS ago - I was once again having trouble getting the site to load. Thank goodness I've finally started making a habit of typing my posts into a text file first, then copy-pasting them over.

Edit: OUCH. Hope you weren't expecting any help from me on that Climb. :smallredface:

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-10, 01:26 PM
Ali

Very well. Sasha may well be most useful as a lookout in any case. But wait, I must prepare us.

The strange nomad spends a few moments chanting in a low voice, channelling the power of the desert. For a moment Sasha seems puzzled, then Ali lays a hand on her head and she looks up at him, tail wagging happily. He speaks to her in hushed tones and pats her, then looks up at Mohsen.

Good, let's go.

He accepts Mohsen's help and climbs the wall.

The dogs will not notice us.

OOC: Cast Owl's Wisdom, shared with Sasha (for a +2 bonus on her spot and listen checks). Cast Hide from Animals targeting Ali, Sasha, and Mohsen. The gaurd dogs are entitled to a saving throw to notice us, DC 16. After that, I purposely revealed myself to Sasha (since I was hidden to her), then gave her the gaurd order. If anybody approaches our exit point, or if she spots trouble that will put me in direct danger, she will howl.

I'm taking 10 on the climb check if possible. Otherwise:

[roll0]

Edit: D'oh! Well, I hope the DC was 5!

Lost Sage
2008-04-10, 06:11 PM
Over the wall

Sasha is left at a place down the road with instructions to guard and sound the alarm if anyone approaches her too closely. It's a little open spot with a few bushes. You will rendezvous with her there later.

Mohsen carefully climbs to the top of the wall will a boost from Ali. The spikes are a problem but he dexterously manages to avoid them. He hoists Ali up and drops down on the other side.

Ali isn't so lucky. He has trouble maneuvering over the spikes and rather then fall tries to jump free into the enclosure. He gets an ugly gash on his calf from the long spikes, but manages to land softly and roll.

Climb DC is 15. Mohsen took 10. Ali couldn't make it by taking 10 and I took his roll. He did manage a tumble roll however.
Ali: 3 damage

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-13, 01:04 PM
Mohsen the Crimson

Although he managed to make it over the wall, his clumsy efforts to help his partner over resulted in the nomad getting a nasty cut on his leg. "Damn! Apologies, my friend. In my arrogance I continued to act thoughtlessly." When the two were over the wall, Mohsen begins to sneak over to some respectable cover to once again lay low for a few minutes to learn the pattern of any patrolling guards. He wraps a gloved hand around the dagger on his belt and leaves it resting in his hand - waiting to be thrown if a wayward glance spies him. Their employer's reminder of 'no killing' returned unbidden to his mind, but he still held onto the weapon for comfort.

OOC: Hide check - [roll0]
Move Silently - [roll1]

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-14, 08:58 AM
Ali

The cut stings him, but he internalizes the pain as they try and take cover. Please, it was nobody's fault but mine. I am simply not used to this environment yet.

As he takes cover, he keeps an eye out for enemies and searches for their goal.

Lost Sage
2008-04-14, 11:44 AM
Decisions, decisions

You hide in the bushes to see what will reveal itself. The desert moon, nearly full, illuminates the undergrowth like bleached sunlight. After a few moments a second pair of dogs trots into the clearing in front of you. They stop and look sharply in your direction before loosing interest and moving on.

It occurs to you that the dogs where travelling in the same direction as the other two. Ali finds it odd that dogs would continue to travel around the Manor with no particular reason for doing so. Unless they had been well trained. These are different dogs then the first two.

Ali mentions that it might be better to move on before more dogs show up. His spell is not fool-proof. Accordingly, Mohsen leads the way to the Manor wall and South to the window in question. On the was you pass a climbing vine that has made it's way all the way to the roof. At the window, you can indeed see that their is a decorative ledge running below the second floor windows. It is about 5 inches wide but slanted slightly. You are faced with a decision: Do you try to hoist Mohsen up to the ledge under the window? Climbing onto the ledge would be difficult. Or does he climb the vine and travel along the ledge - some 30' and past several windows - to get back here. You are uncertain how strong the vine is, and if he would be seen along the way. Or is there another option?

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-14, 12:23 PM
Ali

The nomad experimentally pulls on the vines, testing their strength. This could prove to be difficult. The ledge looked trecherous, but it would be less likely to expose them, that is, if Mohsen didn't fall to his death.

Knowledge checks in dice thread

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-14, 01:09 PM
Mohsen the Crimson

Mohsen actively listens to the night air, not only to attempt to hear the approach of guards but to determine if anything can be heard from the windows above the pair. While he listens, Mohsen begins to investigate his options and weighs them in his mind. Hmm. I could walk that ledge, but it'd take time. Time I won't have when traipsing about in front of those windows. Scaling straight up the wall won't be much easier... Mohsen looks up at the wall again. The scarf over his mouth hides an amused grimace. "I wonder if I could make that leap."

OOC: Listen check! [roll0]
Would you prefer rolls in the Dice thread, or is that just there for our benefit?

How high is either the ledge or the window off of the ground? On average, Mohsen can get a 5' jump off of the ground, so between his height and his arm span he MIGHT be able to grab on to something 12' above ground level. Not like that's any more impressive than just letting Ali lift him up, but still - it's the principle of the thing. :smallcool:

Lost Sage
2008-04-14, 02:07 PM
All Quiet

Mohsen studies the wall while Ali goes back to check the vine. Mohsen can hear the small noises as Ali's feet press against the sand and pebbles along his path. Far in the distance a muffled conversation can be heard. Maybe the guards around the corner by the gate are passing the time. The ledge is about 10 to 11 feet above the ground. The wall is rough natural brick that will provide some friction to his feet but nothing in the way of footholds. Mohsen figures he *might* be able to make it up the wall, if there are some decent handholds near the window sill.

Ali examines the vine. It looks fairly strong. A lot would depend on Mohsen's skill in placing his weight. There are two windows between the vine and their target. Both are dark.

Climb DC to get up the wall to the window sill is 20.
Climb DC of vine is 10. Balance/Climb of walking the ledge is still unknown.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-14, 02:28 PM
Ali

The vines could hold you, if you are careful, the nomad whispers. Wait... to be safe...

He closes his eyes and mutters an unintelligible phrase. When he opens them, the world is illuminated.

Casting Detect Magic and looking around.

If I need a spot check, I'll take 10 for a 20.

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-14, 03:34 PM
Mohsen the Crimson

After sizing things up a bit, Mohsen decides that a running leap may get him the clearance he needs to reach the ledge. Failing that, he thinks to himself, I'll just need to fall very quietly. Mohsen begins to lightly tread away from the manor, getting himself a little distance for his running start. When he glances over to see Ali chanting another of his spells, he decides to wait for a moment.

Lost Sage
2008-04-14, 04:10 PM
Other Sight

Ali scans the area but sees no magical emanations.

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-17, 01:09 AM
Mohsen the Crimson

After pausing a moment, Ali didn't seem to be giving Mohsen any warning signs or upset looks. Mohsen shrugs his shoulders to himself. He seemed to be looking around, so he must have magicked up some type of spell to aid himself. He didn't react, so must be fine. Mohsen takes a second to adjust the small climbing spikes, held onto his boots by leather straps. With a quick surge, he runs toward the wall at full-tilt, then with a quick bend of the knees he leaps upwards to press his hands down onto the ledge above. He manages to sink his feet into some of the masonry and hoists himself up onto the sloped ledge. After taking a second to even out his balance, Mohsen reaches down into a pouch at his belt and removes a small pair of picks. He begins tinkering with the mechanism on the window, but his constant need to keep his weight shifted properly throws off his manual precision. "Come on, you miserable contraption," he mutters to himself.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-17, 08:59 AM
Ali Elmer

Impressive, the nomad things to himself as Mohsen nimbly reaches the window. I hope he'll be able to get inside...

As he watches the thief work, he also continues watching carefully looking for any sign of danger, especially magical danger.

Take 10 on a spot and listen check for 20 and 16.

Lost Sage
2008-04-18, 10:07 AM
Just About...

Mohsen precariously balances on the ledge while trying to open the window. As he works away Ali scans the area for signs of danger. It seems quiet and calm. Only his friend's shadow moves on the moonlit wall.

Suddenly Mohsen drops from the wall and onto the sand beside Ali. The young man lands softly and rolls, barely making a sound in the soft earth. Impressive indeed. But the window is still closed. Ali looks around to see if anything took notice. All is quiet. They haven't seen any dogs for a few minutes now.

Do you want to try again? Or do you have another idea?

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-18, 01:31 PM
Mohsen the Crimson

Mohsen was beginning to feel particularly good about this pick. He could feel a few of the pins inside the mechanism beginning to click into place, but suddenly they seemed to be rising back up. Like they no longer had pressure on them. It was less than a split-second later when Mohsen's inner ear registered the problem - he was beginning to tilt backwards. Struggling as he might, he knew he couldn't stop himself. With a slight push from his feet at the last second, Mohsen sent himself falling backwards, away from the wall. When he neared the ground, he reached out with his hands and curled in his lower body, letting his horizontal momentum send him into a roll upon impact. It managed to negate a lot of the force (and sound) of the fall, but his spine was still SCREAMING at him. Aaugh! Damn! Damn...damn... He growls at himself as he rises to his feet and dusts himself off. Looking over to Ali, he shrugs his shoulders. "Guess they'll call me 'Mohsen the Dusty-Red' now," he quipped. "It is difficult to focus on such a precarious perch. If I fail again, we'll adopt a more brutish approach and shatter the window. If you can, find a rock or something to throw. If we could shatter two windows in separate locations simultaneously, it may confuse the guards."

With that, he bounded back towards the wall to leap up and try again.

Lost Sage
2008-04-18, 03:07 PM
a troublesome spot

Mohsen leaps toward the wall again. He makes the ledge and starts leveraging himself up onto it. Unfortunately his balance is a little different then last time. He misses the window sill with his left hand. His body drops a few inches before he catches himself. He balances, momentarily caught half up and half down from the ledge. With a surge from his legs he reaches the edge of the sill and pulls himself into a standing position, breathing heavily.

Mohsen stands for a few seconds cathing his breath. Then tries the picks again. This time he seems to have the knack. His manages to get both hands on the picks while hooking his elbow against the upper sill. The bolt finally slides to the side. The window swings freely - out of course. Mohsen looks in the crack briefly then holds it shut while considering their next step. Inside the room is dark. It looks to be a sizable study, about 15' wide by 20' deep.

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-18, 04:44 PM
Mohsen the Crimson

Mohsen smiles to himself as he begins to feel the pins clicking into position. After a moment, the device releases its grasp and the window swings open freely. Before opening it more than a sliver, he calls down to Ali. "Pst! My hands are full - can you toss me a light of some kind?"

While waiting for Ali to think/prepare for his request, Mohsen begins attempting to examine the windowsill and immediate area surrounding the entrance. The light was poor, but at least the moonlight still laid a gentle kiss upon the closest parts of the room to the window.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-21, 11:40 AM
Ali Elmer

The nomad nods silently and reaches into his pack. Standing close to the wall and using his body to block the illumination, he lights a torch and then raises it up to Mohsen's outstretched hand. Once he has it, Ali immediately turns back around, wary of any intruders who may have spied the light.

20 on another spot check.

Lost Sage
2008-04-22, 01:25 AM
Discovered

Ali lights the torch and stretches up to hand it to his companion. It's a stretch and he has to stand on his toes and hold the very end of the long 3 foot torch. His sharp ears detect a low, feral growl behind him. He does not flinch but waits for Mohsen to lift the torch from his hands before turning to face the sound.

Mohsen crouches down on the ledge to take the torch that Ali hands him. He has to drop one foot below the ledge to get down low enough. His fingers finally curl around the top part of the torch - close enough to the flame to feel the hair on his arm singe. The agile rogue straightens quickly only to be shocked by an explosion of barking from the ground behind Ali! He looks, but the nearness of the flame spoils his night vision.

On the ground Ali has turned to face a vicious looking large guard dog. It's loud barking is laced with an angry growl that leaves no doubt to it's intent to attack. A second dog is standing behind the first. The second dog is quietly watching the first with it's head cocked to one side.

we're in combat mode: please roll initiative with your next action.
Ali: the first dog is about 10' away. The second is 15'
Mohsen: You are standing on the ledge with the torch in your primary hand, and your off hand holding the window sill for balance. The window has one shutter (it's a shuttered window, not glass) open an inch or two. The entire window is about 3' by 3'

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-22, 12:50 PM
Ali Elmer

He had hoped that no poor beast would need to be harmed tonight, but unfortunately this one did his job too well.

I'll take care of this, Ali says to Mohsen, Just get those documents.

He levels his glare at the creature, staring it down, asserting dominance. Without breaking his gaze, he speaks a few words of power, calling the elemental forces of the sun and wind into his humble staff. All the while, he is hoping he won't have to use it. If the dog could be cowed, perhaps the endeavor could be saved.

Ali casts Shilaghli on his staff, and then uses Wild Empathy as a move action.

[roll0]

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-22, 03:00 PM
Mohsen the Crimson

Knowing that time was no longer on their side, Mohsen holds the torch up near the window and spends a few moments visually scanning the room. Haste and sloppiness need not go hand-in-hand, he thinks to himself.

OOC:
Initiative, if needed - [roll0]
Search - [roll1] Looking for the documents, as well as any potential dangers (traps) or anything of interest

Lost Sage
2008-04-22, 10:14 PM
The guard dog stops barking and leaps to the attack. Ali is caught by the suddenness of the assault. He manages to get one arm up to protect his throat and the dog's teeth sink into it. The dog drops to the ground to gather itself for another try.

The second dog starts to growl also, but remains where it is watching the first dog.

Mohsen swings the shutter open and peers inside the window. He sees a well furnished study. To the right of him the walls are lined with books and the room furnished with comfortable chairs. To the left of him is a fine wood desk with many drawers. Pigeon holes full of papers line the wall behind the desk. A single scroll is on the desk itself, on the top left hand corner. A closed door is opposite Mohsen with a coat rack to the left and a fireplace to the right of it.

Ali backs off and calmly commands the dog to cease it's attack. The dog has tasted blood though, and it's uncertain it will take notice.

Initiative:
Dogs: 8
Mohsen: 5
Ali: 5

Ali takes 5 damage
Juris: As I read it Wild Empathy is a Diplomacy check. So either 10 full rounds or 1 full round rushed (at -10). If you would have won initiative with the roll you had the dog would have held it's attack until it knew more about what you where doing. As it is it got to attack first. If you want to change your action retro-actively let me know and I will edit.

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-22, 10:44 PM
Mohsen the Crimson

The path seeming clear, Mohsen gently sets one foot after the other onto the floor and walks over to the desk. He gingerly grabs the scroll and rolls it up, then sticks it in at the top of his backpack. "Rest easy in there, little friend," he whispers to the parchment.

The task completed, Mohsen knew that all that was left was the hasty retreat. No doubt the guards had heard the barking dogs, so time was of the essence. Mohsen glanced back at the window, and recalled the rough distance between it and the ground. Again, he smiled underneath his scarf. I sure hope someone will be watching. He runs towards the window and dives out, hitting the ground rolling to minimize the impact of the landing.

OOC: I'm pretty sure that the leap out the window won't happen until "round 3", since it'd take a good move action to get in the window and to the table, and another move to stick the scroll in his pack. Still, I'll go ahead and roll now just to keep things trucking! I'll do both a Jump and Tumble check - either can reduce the falling distance damage by 10', so may as well try!

Jump: [roll0] - Didn't include the +4 from the Run feat since I didn't get a significant running start
Tumble: [roll1]

Edit: Blegh! Heck, the Jump check may have succeeded but I probably deserve to take nonlethal damage for botching that Tumble roll unless you're just feeling generous!

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-23, 10:52 AM
Ali Elmer

These dogs were well trained, that much was clear. A distraction was in order, if there were any chance of getting out of here without further damage. Channeling into the elemental forces of wind, he called out to another plane for assistance, summoning up a child of the air.

Five foot step and casts Summon Nature's Ally II for a small Air Elemental into the square he just vacated.
Concentration check, if needed, is in the dice roller thread.

Lost Sage
2008-04-24, 02:34 AM
This Round

Embolded by it's previous success the canine lunges at Ali again. Ali easily side-steps the attack.

Mohsen Climbs into the room and moves over to the desk. He delicately picks up the scroll, senses alert for any traps that may spring. Nothing seems to happen and he breaths a sign of relief.

Looking for a diversion for his opponent the druid backs up further along the wall and begins a serious of gestures, summoning an entity from beyond the confines of this world.

Next Round

The lone dog attacks Ali again. It is no longer barking but only growling, so intent is the creature to get it's teeth into Ali's throat. Ali, involved in the concentration needed for his spell, barely manages to turn to the side as the dog teeth tears through his desert robe.

Mohsen stows the scroll in his packback and picks up the torch again, ready for a hasty retreat.

An elemental appears behind the dog and attacks it immediately. Overhead, Ali's keen ears detect a brief rustle... like... bird wings passing above him. In the distance, he can also hear the sound of people arguing.

Initiative:
Mohsen: 5
Ali: 5 (5 damage)

Ali, please roll for the elemental attacking the dog and take your next action. An Air Elemental is not in the list on http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/summonNaturesAllyI.htm. Is it some extension? What are it's stats?

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-24, 08:36 AM
Ali Elmer

Help had arrived and it was good. The elemental would surely keep the dog busy. But he didn't know how much time it would buy them at this point....

Ali turned his face up toward the window and gave his bird call, signalling that they were about to have more company, and of a sort not so easily distracted. He hoped that Mohsen had the documents, because it looked like any escape would have to be fast.

He used his staff to put some space between himself and the dog, hoping that the elemental would monopolize the creature's attention as they made their escape, and backed off toward the fence away from the sounds of voices.

Full withrdaw action away from the dog and toward the fence, moving about 40 feet away from the window.

[roll0]
[roll1]

It was Summon Nature's Ally II, btw, so that's why he is able to summon a small elemental.

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-24, 11:30 AM
OOC: I guess this is just a placeholder to show that I'm paying attention. This round is the round that I'm dramatically failing my skydive! :smallbiggrin:

Lost Sage
2008-04-24, 11:51 AM
Round 3

At the sound of wings Ali looks up, but he doesn't see anything against the night sky.

The small elemental slams the dog from behind. But the canine's instincts are sharp and it steps to the side at the last minute. It's eyes dart to the new threat, uncertain of what to make of it. Ali takes the opportunity to back up a few steps and beat a hasty retreat toward the fence.

Round 4

Two other dogs arrive on the scene barking loudly. One stops in the midst of the others and barks indiscriminately at anything and everything around it. This starts the other one of the original pair of on it's own barking fit. The last dog spies Ali retreating and closes on him, lunging for his leg. But the wily druid jumps away before it can make contact. There are now 4 dogs in total. One on Ali 40 feet away, one facing the air elemental, and two barking at each other under the window. The dog facing the air elemental looks at it uncertainly and snaps tentatively, missing the air elemental entirely.

Without warning a lit torch comes flying out of the upstairs window, followed closely by Mohsen. The rogue realizes too late that he is following his torch down to the ground. He tries to twist away but in the process lands badly and falls directly onto the flame. His face and arms are singed and he feels a twinge in left leg.

Initiative:
Mohsen: 5 (4 damage)
<-- we are here -->

Mohsen: 1 falling damage, 3 burning damage
Ali: you are about 50' feet from the outer wall (assuming you moved directly toward it)

TheGreatJabu
2008-04-24, 12:53 PM
Mohsen the Burnt Sienna

As he dives out the window into the dark night, Mohsen can't help but notice one critical piece of information. I should have thrown my torch to the side! He begins vainly attempting to flail away from the lit tender in mid-air, which only served to foul up his landing. "Wwwooooooooaaaah!"

He hits the ground (and the torch) hard on his right leg, and his momentum sends him rolling over on his side. Fortunately, at least, the rolling kept his clothes from igniting. When his rolling finally stops, Mohsen lets out a quiet groan to himself. I hope no one was watching that... After laying on the ground for a second feeling idiotic, he bounds up to his feet and shouts to Ali. "I've got it! Let's go!"

Move action: Lay on the ground, recovering lost morale
Move action: Rise from prone

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-24, 03:18 PM
Ali Elmer

This was getting downright dangerous! But the nomad barely noticed his wounds. They had the document and the fence, their escape, was a short way away. All they had to do now was get over it. And then...

Then he'd have his answers.

His air elemental ally swirls and grows and becomes a powerful whirlwind, 20 feet high, kicking up dust and debris and making it difficult for enemies to see them. It moves menacingly toward the dog, attempting to batter and immobilize it.

I'll leave it up to you, Sage, what happens here. The elemental becomes a whirlwind and moves into the dog's square.

Ali repeats the same process he did with the other dog, backing away from it and putting his back to the wall.

Full withrdaw again, this time all the way to the fence.

Lost Sage
2008-04-25, 12:56 AM
Round 4 (cont'd)

The air elemental rises up, becoming a towering whirlwind that engulfs the dog facing it. Ali continues his retreat away from the second dog. He reaches the wall surrounding the compound and puts his back to it, waiting for Mohsen to join him.

Round 5

The second dog follows Ali closely and lunges at him as soon as he is cornered at the wall. The druid barely wards the dog off with his staff. The other dogs quiet down, fearful and uncertain of the whirlwind that suddenly appeared in there midst.

Mohsen lies on a ground for a moment. Perhaps checking that all parts are still in place. Then he rises quickly and his shout pierces the night air "I've got it! Let's go!"

Initiative:
Mohsen: 5 (4 damage)
<-- we are here -->

Ali:
You can't command the elemental unless it can hear you and you can speak it's language. I don't think either of those apply. In any case it seemed like a natural thing for it to do so I went with it.
Also, how did your armor class get to be 20? You have a 3 in Other and a 5 in Misc. I understand the 5 but not the 3.

Lost Sage
2008-05-06, 02:28 AM
Opps, will fill this in once I figure out how myth weavers work.

Lost Sage
2008-05-17, 12:18 AM
Continued in http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?p=1056934