PDA

View Full Version : It makes me kinda Hungry...

Phase
2008-03-29, 10:45 PM
Everyone's favorite, semi-reliable, encyclopedia has reached it's ten-millionth article! (http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Hilliard)

It's the hungarian version of this page here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Hilliard)

Just wanted to bring it up and see thoughts!

Yay!

--Phase

thubby
2008-03-29, 10:47 PM
woopy?
i website dedicated to the indiscriminate gathering of knowledge has increased in size. i'm not exactly shocked here.

Phase
2008-03-29, 10:51 PM
woopy?
i website dedicated to the indiscriminate gathering of knowledge has increased in size. i'm not exactly shocked here.

I'm not surprised, it's just an accomplishment to be acknowledged. Are you only happy for your birthday if you don't expect to age?

Brickwall
2008-03-29, 11:17 PM
I'm not surprised, it's just an accomplishment to be acknowledged. Are you only happy for your birthday if you don't expect to age?

I'm only happy for my birthday when it represents some other good occurence (like no longer having the limitations of a minor). I'm not terribly happy at getting closer to death, though.

But that's totally different. Yay, Hungarian knowledge.

mathemagician
2008-03-30, 12:42 AM
Bring it up when there's such a number of articles _worth_ something. :P That is, when it's a rare thing for me to click "random article" and get some geek-fest about a Star Wars planet, or Klingon tattoo style or..

Now don't get me wrong, I love Wiki, and mostly the things I use are not suspect, there's just a lot of garbage on permanent storage there : )

thubby
2008-03-30, 01:35 AM
I'm only happy for my birthday when it represents some other good occurence (like no longer having the limitations of a minor). I'm not terribly happy at getting closer to death, though.

But that's totally different. Yay, Hungarian knowledge.

i think i need to see a shrink, I'm starting to agree with brickwall. :smalleek:

Felixaar
2008-03-30, 05:04 AM
^Definitely.

Also, cool. 10,000,000 pages is one hell of an acheivment.

Groundhog
2008-03-30, 06:48 AM
^ - Yeah, that's a seriously large number. One of the other forums that I frequent only just got up to 1000 threads. And they've been around for some time.

Szilard
2008-03-30, 10:48 AM
I saw that yesterday, my brother and I were celebrating because we are hungarian. When I saw the thread title, I thought hmmm, something to do with hungarians?

Mauve Shirt
2008-03-30, 10:53 AM
^ You're hungarian? Is it true that they use the word "whore" as a multi-purpose curse and have nothing else?
Just curious. :smallwink:
On topic, that's a huge number, but does it include those articles that are "stubs"?

Szilard
2008-03-30, 10:56 AM
I don't know. I only know the basics of magyar, I mean hungarian. I know what people say mean most of the time. I can talk about 3/4 of what I understand, I can read some of it, and the only words I can write is "hello/bye" and "no."
This all comes from me living in California since I was 1 or 2 years old.

PirateMonk
2008-03-30, 11:02 AM
Bring it up when there's such a number of articles _worth_ something. :P That is, when it's a rare thing for me to click "random article" and get some geek-fest about a Star Wars planet, or Klingon tattoo style or..

I'm getting mostly scientific things and places.

Mauve Shirt
2008-03-30, 12:49 PM
I don't know. I only know the basics of magyar, I mean hungarian. I know what people say mean most of the time. I can talk about 3/4 of what I understand, I can read some of it, and the only words I can write is "hello/bye" and "no."
This all comes from me living in California since I was 1 or 2 years old.

Understandable!
I can say..."Nem lehet hülye aki ilyen zacskót cipel!" Because it was written on a bag from an electronics store that someone brought back from Hungary. :smallbiggrin: I think it means "I am not an idiot!"

Szilard
2008-03-30, 01:22 PM
I think that means roughly translated and placed in a gramitacly correct way, "Those who have carryed bags are not fools." Do you want the word for word translation?

Mauve Shirt
2008-03-30, 02:25 PM
That is... fantastic! :D
*language nerd*

Szilard
2008-03-30, 02:28 PM
Wait? Who's the language nerd?:smallconfused:

Mauve Shirt
2008-03-30, 02:30 PM
I am GAH! filler

Szilard
2008-03-30, 02:35 PM
Okay.:smallsmile:

Jayngfet
2008-03-30, 08:08 PM
taking all bets as to when wikipedia gains so much knowledge it becomes sentient and begins editing important paragraphs, subtly at first, a few pokemon types here, a song ot two there, intentionaly looking through the history of its readers, that way it can mis direct them to a page full of pictures they're afraid of, something deeply disturbing (some of my first shock was on wikipedia), it will become so bloated and intellegent that it can control lesser wikis, making fake accounts, confusing everyone, working its way through forums and mmo's, eventually it can fake-chat a few scientists into making a wifi robot, giving it a body, even bodies, humanity enslaved by a hive mind, each new machine contribuuting to the horror...

...yeah congrats are in order, happy ten million!

Jayngfet
2008-03-30, 08:19 PM
taking all bets as to when wikipedia gains so much knowledge it becomes sentient and begins editing important paragraphs, subtly at first, a few pokemon types here, a song ot two there, intentionaly looking through the history of its readers, that way it can mis direct them to a page full of pictures they're afraid of, something deeply disturbing (some of my first shock was on wikipedia), it will become so bloated and intellegent that it can control lesser wikis, making fake accounts, confusing everyone, working its way through forums and mmo's, eventually it can fake-chat a few scientists into making a wifi robot, giving it a body, even bodies, humanity enslaved by a hive mind, each new machine contribuuting to the horror...

Jayngfet
2008-03-30, 08:28 PM

Phase
2008-03-30, 08:46 PM
Awesomest triple post ever!

Death, your friend the Reaper
2008-03-30, 10:13 PM
I'm not terribly happy at getting closer to death, though.

*Death stops knocking on Brickwall's door, sadly turning away after over hearing this, he throws away the roses and the letter he wrote ((If Dracula was killed, and then brought back to life, has he been re-vamped?)) and rushes off*

Mortals are all the same:smallfrown:

*Reads title of thread again and heads off to get breakfast*

Raiser Blade
2008-03-30, 10:25 PM
*Death stops knocking on Brickwall's door, sadly turning away after over hearing this, he throws away the roses and the letter he wrote ((If Dracula was killed, and then brought back to life, has he been re-vamped?)) and rushes off*

Mortals are all the same:smallfrown:

*Reads title of thread again and heads off to get breakfast*

Aww *comforts death*

You reap what you sow? :smalltongue:

sikyon
2008-03-31, 12:12 AM

Now don't get me wrong, I love Wiki, and mostly the things I use are not suspect, there's just a lot of garbage on permanent storage there : )

One man's trash is another man's treasure.