PDA

View Full Version : Good Exemplar feats?

Chronos
2008-03-29, 11:44 PM
I'm making a character with the Exemplar prestige class, and have a bonus feat from the class that I don't know what to do with. The list of eligible feats includes all of the PHB skill-boosting feats, plus Blind-Fight, Combat Casting, Combat Expertise, Improved Initiative, Improved Swimming, Open Minded, Track, and Versatile Performer.

Ordinarily, I'd choose Improved Initiative from that list, but I already have an insanely high initiative modifier, enough to beat anything short of Celerity (and Imp. Init. won't help beat Celerity, either). Versatile Performer would give the most benefit in terms of just counting the number of plusses to the number of skills, but this character doesn't really have any particular use for Perform checks. Should I take one of the +2/+2 feats for skills I'm maxing, or should I go Open Minded and get five skill points to spend on my lower skills? Or something else?

Thinker
2008-03-30, 12:12 AM
If you have ranks in survival, Track couldn't hurt. I don't know how often it comes up in your games, but in mine it is somewhat useful. Other than that, Open Minded would be a good bet.

Iku Rex
2008-03-30, 12:46 AM
(and Imp. Init. won't help beat Celerity, either)(You can't use immediate actions when flat-footed, so high initiative does beat celerity.)

As for feats, both Blind Fight and Combat Expertise are useful choices. Depends on your character build.

Chronos
2008-03-30, 01:25 AM
Forgot to mention that I already have Track. And as the wizard fanboys are so fond of pointing out, Foresight prevents flatfootedness, so Celerity (in combination with other spells) can beat any initiative roll. But anyway, I have enough initiative bonus (around +25 or so) to beat just about any actual initiative roll (as opposed to things that bypass initiative completely).

Blindfight would be interesting, except that I expect to have Darkvision and See Invisibility active at all times, and probably a good Spot check, which cuts into how useful it would be. And is Combat Expertise worthwhile by itself, if I don't have room to take any of the feats it opens up?