PDA

View Full Version : Swearing in non-english language.

Bushwhacked
2008-03-30, 12:25 AM
We're just starting a game of serenity in the role play forums at the moment and the character i'm playing isn't going to be too mindful about what he says, luckily the game encourages players to swear in chinese.

Well i say luckily but thats for those who don't understand chinese; for example the series firefly has some resonably nasty cuss phrases in it (in chinese) but it has an age rating of 12years as most people here in england either don't understand the words or even if we look them up online we don't get the full meaning as we have no basis of the rest of the language. Even what we think is a mild taboo word here, may when translated be really offensive.

So what if somone who's first language was the language were using as a fun way of "not swearing" comes online and is offended by this?

bluish_wolf
2008-03-30, 12:34 AM
You know, there is always the chance that some people who view this forum are from China.

Brickwall
2008-03-30, 12:59 AM
That's his point, and why he's asking.

And I can remember at least four forumites speaking Chinese native-like.

Pocketa
2008-03-30, 01:17 AM
Make that five.

Diu nei lomo bun loo yin!

Nevrmore
2008-03-30, 01:38 AM
Wo ai ni, man. Wo ai ni.

Artemician
2008-03-30, 01:44 AM
Diu nei lomo bun loo yin!

你在说什么?我不明白从你嘴巴出来的语言。看起来这里需要专家来应付。有没有人知道Solo在哪儿?他应该 会有影响。

Trans: What you saying? Me no understand. Me think need expert to translate. Where Solo? *Grunt*

Pocketa
2008-03-30, 02:12 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diu_(Cantonese)

IDK bun looyin.

IDK.

Diu nei! Diu lei loh moh!

屌你老母!

Might be helpful?

That's the only Chinese I know.

Well, sorta.

Artemician
2008-03-30, 02:24 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diu_(Cantonese)

Diu nei! Diu lei loh moh!

屌你老母!

Might be helpful?

That's the only Chinese I know.

Well, sorta.

Ah, dialect. I don't speak Cantonese, so it's small wonder I didn't understand then. But I *can* read it thoug-

*Blink*

That's incredibly vulgar, y'know that?

Pocketa
2008-03-30, 02:27 AM
Yes, but this a thread about swearing.

Also, apparently, 'Diu' means 'cool' in Taiwan.

Who knew.

Rawhide
2008-03-30, 03:56 AM
Using an alternate language to swear would fall under circumventing board filters. Not only that, we ask that everyone use English on the forums as it is not only rude to speak in a different language on an English speaking board, but we have an English speaking moderation staff. When people using another language (without containing swearing or insults) we will ask them to stop.

The Hairy Modfather: This thread is being locked until someone has a chance to translate and confirm the foreign language parts. Just because this is a thread about swearing in a foreign language, it does not give anyone the right to do so.