PDA

View Full Version : Three domain granted powers

Solo
2008-03-30, 04:25 AM
Discuss :smallbiggrin:

Cheese Domain

Granted Power: You are immune to cheese for a number of rounds per day equal to your cleric level. Activation is a standard action. You may split this duration up into several periods totaling the same amount. You are not immune to beneficial cheese, only harmful cheese. This is a Supernatural ability.

Domain Spells:
1) Detect Cheese
2) Protection from Cheese
3) Dispel Cheese
4) Cone of Cheese
5) Transmute Brie to Gouda
6) Wall of Cheese
7) Finger of Swiss
8) Storm of Curds
9) Grate the Soul

Sarcasm Domain:

Granted Power: You may use your cutting tongue, rapier wit, and biting sarcasm to shatter someone's ego. As a standard action, you may give up a turning attempt to force a target to make a will save equal to 10 + half your caster level + your Wisdom modifier. On a failed save, the target is frightened for a number of rounds equal to half your caster level. If he succeeds, he is merely shaken. This is a supernatural mind affecting ability.

Domain Spells:

1. Produce Sarcasm
2. Sculpt Sarcasm
3. Keen Sarcasm
4. Sarcastic Smite
5. Dispel Sarcasm
6. Sarcastic Barrier
7. Word of Sarcasm
8. Sarcastic Aura
9. Mass Sarcasm

Awesome Domain:

Granted Power: You may be Awesome once per day. Activation is a standard action. For a number of minutes equal to your Charisma modifier, you gain a number of action points (here by referred to as Awesome Points) equal to your charisma modifier.

Domain Spells:

1. Awesome Touch
2. Continual Awesome
3. Visage of Awesome, Lesser
4. Awesome Sauce
5. Bestow Awesome
6. Visage of Awesome
7. Major Awesome
8. Polymorph Any Awesome
9. Visage of Awesome, Greater

Jayngfet
2008-03-30, 04:26 AM
care to write out the spells...

Solo
2008-03-30, 04:37 AM
care to write out the spells...

I'd have to create them first.

Besides, this is about the domain granted powers. The spells are there for the "lulz"

Xefas
2008-03-30, 04:47 AM
Well, it was kind of funny...I mean, I didn't laugh out loud, but the 'Finger of Swiss' was good. Really, jokes like this go around so often, that it just becomes old hat eventually.

On a related note, I think when 4th edition comes out, we need a new word for something that's overpowered. The word 'cheese', while perhaps worth a few chuckles the first time you hear it, has become kind of annoying, at least for me.

How about something sarcastic? Like "Serious Roleplay"?
"Turn Undead is just as Serious Roleplay-inducing as before!"
"Please help me Seriously Roleplay my Minotaur Psion"
"The new Sorcerer writeup has about a 1000 things with the potential for Serious Roleplay!"

Something like that?

Jack_Simth
2008-03-30, 09:21 AM
Cheese Domain

Granted Power: You are immune to cheese for a number of rounds per day equal to your cleric level. You may split this duration up into several periods totaling the same amount. You are not immune to beneficial cheese, only harmful cheese.

Unless you're referring to the physical game item "cheese" (PHB Goods and Services table, for sale at 1 sp per 1/2 pound), this is rather difficult for a balance judge. See, one person will think a pure-classed Core, High-level pure spellcaster is cheesy in and of itself. Another will see nothing wrong with it. A third won't think "cheese" until someone tries to put Pun-Pun on the table. Another will look at a one-shot kill from leap attack/shock trooper barbarian/Fighter multiclass and say "cheese" while not worrying about the mass save or die spells that the Wizard's been throwing around for the last three levels at that point.

It's impossible to say the balance of this ability for the simple reason that it depends - utterly - on the DM.

On the editing side, how's it activated? As a standard action, swift action, immediate action, as the Travel domain power, or what? Is it Ex, Su, or Sp?

Sarcasm Domain:

Granted Power: You may use your cutting tongue, rapier wit, and biting sarcasm to shatter someone's ego. You may give up a turning attempt to force a target to make a will save equal to 10 + half your caster level + your Wisdom modifier. On a failed save, the target is frightened for a number of rounds equal to half your caster level. If he succeeds, he is merely shaken. This is a mind affecting ability.

Well, let's see...

Editing Comments:
First: You haven't specified whether it's Ex, Sp, or Su.
Second: You haven't specified the type of action (so it defaults to a Standard Action)
Third: You haven't specified a range.

Balance comments:
You've just given a cleric a no HD limit Cause Fear that doesn't interfere with actual spellcasting, is always treated as your highest level spell, scales strongly with level (and is based on caster level, not class level, so PrC's add to it, and you can get the save DC very high with items or effects that boost caster level - which are fairly common for divine casters). So at 1st level, the Cleric has a save or lose effect that he can use 3+Charisma Modifier times per day (assuming a Charisma modifier of +2 or better, the Cleric can do this more times than a sorcerer of that level can cast Magic Missile).
Second: Even on a successful save, the target is still Shaken... and fear effect stack. Two such Clerics, of any level, can Frighten anything who's not flat-out immune for 1 round, assuming they both get to go.

This is way too strong at low levels and doesn't use the same scaling mechanism as other domain abilities (which either don't scale or are based on class level).

On the plus side, anyone with your Cheese domain can ignore it if they know it's coming....

Awesome Domain:

Granted Power: You may be Awesome oncee per day. For a number of minutes equal to your Charisma modifier, you gain a number of action points (here by referred to as Awesome Points) equal to your charisma modifier.

Editing:
Type of ability, activation method?

Balance: I'm not overly familiar with Action Points, so I can't comment overly much ... but compared to normal action points, this is usable a LOT more often (per day basis, vs. per-level basis for normal action points).