PDA

View Full Version : Account deletion

Kimpire
2008-03-30, 04:38 AM
Where can I request that my account be deleted? Here? Because I hereby request so.

InaVegt
2008-03-30, 04:50 AM
General policy is that Accounts are not deleted, IIRC.

Kimpire
2008-03-30, 04:55 AM
...an odd policy. Wouldn't that just encourage those desperate enough to commit serious infractions and receive a ban, thus getting what they want anyway?

I certainly hope that's not the actual policy. I'm too meek to do something like that, and I really would like my account deleted.

Ceska
2008-03-30, 05:01 AM
Accounts are not deleted, you can, however, request the account to be closed down. No need to hash for a ban.

MrEdwardNigma
2008-03-30, 05:02 AM
I don't get it. If you're not planning on hanging around on these forums anymore, just stop visiting (not that I encourage this...)
I don't see how having an account here you don't use anyways could be a problem to you.

Kimpire
2008-03-30, 05:05 AM
Accounts are not deleted, you can, however, request the account to be closed down. No need to hash for a ban.

The distinction between deleted and closed down escapes me, but yes, I'd like that.

Ceska
2008-03-30, 05:16 AM
The distinction between deleted and closed down escapes me, but yes, I'd like that.
Simple, a deleted account would make trouble for the database. Also, it would mean your posts would be deleted as well (as if you never existed), which would seriously screw with threads you participated in.
A closed account would be like being banned, you will have "closed account" under your username, not be able to post or similar, but your posts will stay.
If you want that, just PM one of the mods or admins with a request.

Kimpire
2008-03-30, 05:18 AM
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. If closing my account is the best I can hope for then that's fine with me. If a mod sees this I give permission to do so immediately; I'd rather do it this way then try to guess which mod may or may not be online at some indeterminate point in the future. :)

If I have to PM a mod, then a mod please let me know and I'll PM you :)

Renegade Paladin
2008-03-30, 06:43 AM
Okay, now I'm curious. I hope this doesn't seem rude, but if you don't want to post here anymore, why don't you just leave and not come back? I don't see how your account existing could hurt you. :smallconfused:

Talic
2008-03-30, 07:25 AM
Some people like a sense of closure, I guess? Who knows? It's Kimpire's right though.

Sensate
2008-03-30, 08:40 AM
Some people like a sense of closure, I guess? Who knows? It's Kimpire's right though.
Yep, I'm like that. Maybe the OP has subtler reasons, but when I make a decision on leaving a place, I want to do it for good. Mainly because I don't want to risk getting my spare time stretched out all over the internet so I could focus on one place more.

Kimpire
2008-03-31, 12:40 AM
Yep, I'm like that. Maybe the OP has subtler reasons, but when I make a decision on leaving a place, I want to do it for good. Mainly because I don't want to risk getting my spare time stretched out all over the internet so I could focus on one place more.

Pretty much. Except the "one place" in my case is my wife :)

Sensate
2008-03-31, 10:32 AM
Pretty much. Except the "one place" in my case is my wife :)

Oh well, at least it's for a justified cause. :smallwink:

NerfTW
2008-03-31, 12:47 PM
Then you could, say, have your wife change the password on the account. Or you could do it yourself by typing in a bunch of gibberish and copy pasting it into the confirm password field.

Then log out, and your account is now unaccessable by you.

Sensate
2008-03-31, 02:20 PM
Then you could, say, have your wife change the password on the account. Or you could do it yourself by typing in a bunch of gibberish and copy pasting it into the confirm password field.

Then log out, and your account is now unaccessable by you.

Then again, maybe his wife doesn't know about this forum at all. Wouldn't it be a bad move to willingly admit that a bunch of random people on the internet talking about comics and roleplaying games are taking a part of your spare time that you could otherwise spend with your wife? Now I'm speculating, but she could take that the wrong way.

Uncle Festy
2008-04-01, 10:41 AM
Goodbye, Kimpire!

Sensate
2008-04-01, 03:04 PM
Goodbye, Kimpire!

Aye, farewell and best of luck with your wife!