PDA

View Full Version : its like looking in a mirror, a slightly warped mirror

Jayngfet
2008-03-30, 05:18 AM
I'm still making my world(why do I keep forgetting things)

and I was wondering if it was a good idea for the overall theme to be mirror images, most things have a double (not usually an evil opposite but possible) law and chaos, good and evil, more specificly archons and devils (wich was misenterprited in my last thread), humans and goblins, whole pantheons, even some individuals (my bbeg and his dragon, the twins, a tiefling and aasimar, not in that order)

I was wondering if this was a viable idea, because I was going to start work on the planes, the plane between the plane of water and plane of air is one cloudy, hurriicane ridden planet while the plane between earth and fire is a rocky orb with huge cracks billowing flame and has constant weather

neither is inheritly better or worse than the other (not taking into account personal preferance) and often there are more images (goblins, humans, drow;hobgoblins, dwarves,svirfineblin)

what do you think(and no, I make normal antagonists, this is not just a cheap way to make evil opposites) I haven't really looked very hard at most of the other settings so I could just be ripping off someone else...

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-30, 05:58 AM
So its a world where everything has a polar opposite, and every pair of opposites has a middle?

Sounds cool.

Jayngfet
2008-03-30, 06:07 AM
So its a world where everything has a polar opposite, and every pair of opposites has a middle?

Sounds cool.

exactly, I'll post more details later. also, anyone got any suggestions for a setting name

Xefas
2008-03-30, 06:14 AM
In regards to the whole "Planes between planes" thing, there's a picture you might want to see.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/Innerplanes.jpg

In 2nd Edition, there were demiplanes between all the Inner Planes. That picture shows them.

Jayngfet
2008-03-30, 06:40 AM
In regards to the whole "Planes between planes" thing, there's a picture you might want to see.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/11/Innerplanes.jpg

In 2nd Edition, there were demiplanes between all the Inner Planes. That picture shows them.

huh, my planes lie kinda one dimensional on a giant spiderweb, where the threads cross marks where a plane is, each plane contaned within an orb just benieth the ever hollowing silk(magic spreads from the material plane to other planes by digging through and hollowing the threads, wich are repaired and widened slightly by magic spiders) but yes thats the general idea

MorkaisChosen
2008-03-30, 10:39 AM
Why in the name of Beelzebub is air-water ice?

Signmaker
2008-03-30, 10:44 AM
Be sure to include Dopplegangers, Shapechangers, etc. They're the creature equivalent of 'mirrors', and should fit flavorfully well.

Mewtarthio
2008-03-30, 12:13 PM
Why in the name of Beelzebub is air-water ice?

Because ice floats. :tongue:

BRC
2008-03-30, 12:15 PM
There should be an evil orginization with a crest shaped like a gotee

Jayngfet
2008-03-30, 12:17 PM
Be sure to include Dopplegangers, Shapechangers, etc. They're the creature equivalent of 'mirrors', and should fit flavorfully well.

already have.

Prometheus
2008-03-30, 08:57 PM
This is such an obvious phenomenon of the universe that intelligent life has to have some kind of meta discussion on it. People may accept it as a fact of life, but what do people think of it? Are they defined by their opinion, or is there uniform conclusion some kind of comment on human nature? Various opinions:
-Doubles are sacred: Things should be done in doubles, everything, no matter what it is, has an appropriate double and they use this contention to believe in things that would be the double of the observable (ie Teleological argument for God)
-Doubles are profane: The world is divided, and that is the problem. Only through moderation can one be in harmony with the universe and oneself and see that the double is really a temporal illusion.
-Doubles are conflict: Doubles represent an adversary built into the universe. Our destiny is to defeat our doubles, and prove ourselves the more deserving of that station which is doubled.
-Doubles are science: Maybe there is an elaborate system studying the scientific nature of doubles, maybe it works and players can take Knowledge (Dualology). We can infer from the known the unknown and thereby gain insight, but only if we know what double correlates to what.

Also, is it clear which is the object and which is the image? Can things be referenced as "right" or "left", "sun" or "moon", "clockwise" or "counterclockwise"? If so, you might want to generate some spells on the line of Detect X/Protection from X/X Word/Mantle of X/Subtype [x], where X would be one type or the other.

Dragonmuncher
2008-03-30, 09:35 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this, yet:

Mirror of Opposition (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#mirrorofOpposition)

Essentially an Evil-Twin-O-Matic.

If you wanted to, you could easily modify the mirror so that the opposing twin becomes a nemesis. It (or they) could escape after they lose the first battle, and basically become the Linear Guild.

Collin152
2008-03-30, 11:22 PM
THat planar diagram is wierd.
For instance, the symbol in the lower right hand corner means old in Japanese.

streakster
2008-03-30, 11:50 PM
Perhaps every thinking being has a double, and they will have great power if they can unite with their double and their middle. Just a thought.

Hmm - is the opposite of Wizard Fighter, or Warlock? I'd think Warlock, with Sorcerer in between.

Hmms - if the opposite of sound is silence, then what's the middle?

Hmmss - What would the third part of this relationship be - Undead/Living Beings? Angelic positive energy reanimated corpses? Perhaps there is some sort of side effect of being resurrected that changes the subject slightly - glowing white eyes, or being able to channel small amounts of positive energy. You could have a whole category of beings opposing the Undead - the Returned! Two different main variants, perhaps, to mirror Necromancy? Touched look as they did in life, save they radiate white energy somehow (glow, eyes, tattoos, etc), while Radiant are just white glowing shapes of their once physical forms. That'd mirror Zombies and Skeletons. Necromancy would need an opposing school - Radiamancy? Viviomancy? that focused on buffs and the Returned.

Collin152
2008-03-30, 11:56 PM

The sound of an empty room; the buzzing in your ear when there is nothing to be heard.

streakster
2008-03-31, 12:07 AM
The sound of an empty room; the buzzing in your ear when there is nothing to be heard.

Perfect! Call it .... "Null". Genius, sir! An age-old question, answered!

Rasilak
2008-03-31, 07:16 AM
Two hands clap and there is a sound. What is the sound of one hand?
(SCNR)

jamroar
2008-03-31, 07:28 AM
Two hands clap and there is a sound. What is the sound of one hand?
(SCNR)

"I dunno, what _is_ the sound of one hand clapping?"
*KER-SLAP!*

Heh, that one never gets old...

Funkyodor
2008-03-31, 08:37 AM
I'm thinking of a cool prophecy about a Single conceived by a Single with no Double meeting Doubles with no Middle, whose meeting will spell Doom for ALL. Have the Single be a Man who's Double(wife) was slain creating a Pygmalion'esque statue (Daughter, not wife) turned living through some means. Un-natural creation means no natural Double relationship. And the Doubles with no middle being something like, um, I'm drawing a blank. Maybe some pair that are so similar that they were created with out a Middle ground? Maybe they could be Two Neutral beings that find conflict out of how to proceed with the Single. One wants destruction and the other wants creation of a double in the manner the single was made. Um, I ramble quite a bit I guess.