PDA

View Full Version : A world for stories (WIP)

InaVegt
2008-03-30, 09:02 AM
Disclaimer
This world is very much a WIP, and is meant for fantasy stories with differing levels of technology. Several parts of this world are in a rough state, waiting to be built into stories. I'm also looking for a partner to create stories with, so, if you feel inspired by this world, please send me a PM.

Index
The home world
The nature of magic
Technology
Technology and magic
The bigger picture

The home world

Astronomical location

The as of yet unnamed lush planet which this world is centered upon is not very much like earth at all. It is circling around the smaller star of a twin star. While it is a lot closer to the smaller star than earth is to the sun, it doesn't become as hot because of the lesser size of the smaller star. The larger star is very far away, resulting in about as much light as we gain from the moon. There are four other planets in the system, one revolves around the same star as the home planet, just further away, two others revolve around the larger star and the last revolves around both, moving in a sort of egg shape. The twin solar system is located quite a bit away from the center of a disk shaped star system. The planet itself has one natural moon visible to the naked eye and it has a single ring, kept in place by this moon.

Physical description of the planet

The home planet has many heavy noble gases in it's atmosphere, resulting in a very dense atmosphere. Besides the noble gases in the atmosphere, there is a large amount of water dissolved in it. There are four major continents, The largest lies at the north pole. Just a few hundred kilometers away from the north pole continent lies a smaller continent which is thin but extends all the way to the equator. On the southern end of this end is a street of water roughly two hundred kilometers wide. At the other end of this is the second largest continent of the planet. Roughly on the other side, halfway down south, lies the last and smallest continent.

Plant live

The increased density of the atmosphere has allowed for trees to grow to extreme heights. Most of these trees have raised themselves even more by gathering light gasses into huge bags at their high points. Many trees reach a kilometer in height in their contest for light. There is a common plant parasite hanging of the branches of the trees. There exists some plant life on the ground, but those plants grow slowly and require very little light.

Animals

There is a plethora of "non sapient" animals on this world, the most important groups are detailed here. First I detail the animals in the air. There are the sky wales, enormous creatures traveling through the skies. Then there is the plankton, similar to earth plankton, yet they are like clouds high in the air. The most important predator is the bast, a hive minded creature praying on solitary animals. On the ground live animals used to very small amounts of light. You have the slithers, snakelike creatures covered in slime with two clawed arms. There are the mogs, blind creatures who live in between the fast roots of the trees. In between the free skies and the ground live several animals traveling between the wooden pillars and other plants. There are the swingers, who throw themselves from one tree to the next, eating the bugs living inside the trees in the meantime. There are the gliders, traveling in between the trees, occasionally pulling themselves up with their claws and drinking the liquids inside.

Sapient creatures

/TBD/

InaVegt
2008-03-30, 09:03 AM
The nature of magic

/TBD/

InaVegt
2008-03-30, 09:04 AM
Technology

/TBD/

InaVegt
2008-03-30, 09:05 AM
Technology and Magic

/TBD/

InaVegt
2008-03-30, 09:06 AM
The bigger picture

/TBD/

Szilard
2008-03-30, 10:12 AM
:smallconfused: What is this for?
I like the solar system though.

Rayzin
2008-03-30, 10:17 AM
Why the heck is this in arts and crafts?

InaVegt
2008-03-30, 11:03 AM
Why the heck is this in arts and crafts?

Because it's not meant for gaming, and arts and crafts isn't just for visual art. Worldbuilding is an art too, and I eventually plan to start writing stories for it.

@Szilard: It's gonna be for my literary endeavors.

Szilard
2008-03-30, 11:07 AM
I thought it might have been for a story setting. What does WIP stand for?

Bayar
2008-03-30, 11:13 AM
Work In Progress.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-03-30, 11:18 AM
This is very much a craft, though it might fit into homebrew.

InaVegt
2008-03-30, 11:21 AM
This is very much a craft, though it might fit into homebrew.

Homebrew is for gaming, while, if I get terribly lucky, this might spawn a game, it is not my intent to create a game.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-03-30, 11:25 AM
It is for gaming only?:smallconfused: I never knew that.
Well I learned something new today then:smalltongue:

Then it very much belongs here:smallbiggrin:
Looking forward to this.

And I might want to make history for the dwarves or write stories in this world if you allow it. After your set basics etc. since it is your world after all:smallwink:

InaVegt
2008-03-30, 11:41 AM
It is for gaming only?:smallconfused: I never knew that.
Well I learned something new today then:smalltongue:

Then it very much belongs here:smallbiggrin:
Looking forward to this.

And I might want to make history for the dwarves or write stories in this world if you allow it. After your set basics etc. since it is your world after all:smallwink:
It /is/ in the gaming section after all.

Now, as for your comment about dwarves, I might consider it /after/ I finish writing most of this out. (They'd most likely not be placed on the home planet though)

Dallas-Dakota
2008-03-30, 03:07 PM
They're able of space travel then? Wooohooo for Tinkering space dwarves!