PDA

View Full Version : "Storing" favorite OOTS comics?

Soundtrack
2008-03-30, 02:15 PM
Hello all,

I was wondering if anybody has suggestions on how they keep track of their favorite issues of OOTS?

I thought about just having a "Favorites" folder...and keeping them all in there (part of my browser).

But then I thought I'd present the question here to see if anybody else has ideas... does anybody, for example, actually PRINT any out and have a binder or such?

I thought it would be extremely cool if Rich had a "Add Favorite" as part of the menu on top of each issue... and if a person clicks it... it becomes part of a personal archive of sorts. :)

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks much!

Szilard
2008-03-30, 02:21 PM
you could save them as pictures just in case rich ever decides to stop the comic and get rid of the website, however unlikely that is.

NerfTW
2008-03-30, 02:35 PM
I buy the books.

For other comics, I just use bookmarks.

Soundtrack
2008-03-30, 04:05 PM
I buy the books.

For other comics, I just use bookmarks.

This brings up another question... do the books have all new material? Or are they comics from the site?

Soundtrack
2008-03-30, 04:07 PM
you could save them as pictures just in case rich ever decides to stop the comic and get rid of the website, however unlikely that is.

Good idea! (the "saving pictures" part) :)

Gundato
2008-03-30, 04:07 PM
The non-prequels are compilations of the comics on the website (well, the first book is slightly tweaked, mainly because it would have looked like trash if he didn't :p) with some cut content added (occasional extra strips).

The prequels are completely new content.

The Hop Goblin
2008-03-30, 04:13 PM
Good idea! (the "saving pictures" part) :)

Or, as a sign of respect of the hardwork it took to put the comics up for your viewing pleasure, buy the books.

This is his bread-and-butter, and you talk about basically 'stealing' his work on his own forum? Sure it can be done... but to ask about it within 'earshot' of him is kind of rude.

Rich has put out 4 books (if I'm not mistaken). 2 of Released material (comics from the website), and 2 of "never going to be on the web" material. Help a brother out, if you like the comic that much to keep it - spend 25$ or so for a book.

I myself plan on having the entire OOTS collection :D

Soundtrack
2008-03-30, 04:20 PM
Or, as a sign of respect of the hardwork it took to put the comics up for your viewing pleasure, buy the books.

This is his bread-and-butter, and you talk about basically 'stealing' his work on his own forum? Sure it can be done... but to ask about it within 'earshot' of him is kind of rude.

Rich has put out 4 books (if I'm not mistaken). 2 of Released material (comics from the website), and 2 of "never going to be on the web" material. Help a brother out, if you like the comic that much to keep it - spend 25$ or so for a book.

Yikes! No, I'm sorry if I offended anybody... I didn't mean to "steal" it...

In fact, I plan on purchasing his books. And admittedly, a couple of Belkar t-shirts. :)

Again, I apologize if it was implied that I wanted to steal anything. :(

Edit: Does it matter in what order one purchases the books? Are they chronological? Or are the strips just randomly placed within the book covers?

Prowl
2008-03-30, 04:56 PM
The books I store in my light reading rack in the bathroom. (too much information for ya yet?)

The comics I store very conveniently on a website, right here (http://www.giantitp.com/index.html).

The Hop Goblin
2008-03-30, 04:57 PM
The Chronological order goes as such:

The Start of Darkness (non-released material - where Xykon and Redcloak came from)

Origin of the PC's (non-released material - how OOTS got together)

Dungeon Crawlin Fools (web-material from 001 to, I believe, when they finish the Xykon's Dungeon)

No Cure for the Paladin Blues (web material from after Xykon's Dungeon, through up to about Azure City [I'm not sure where this one ends])

Upcoming is "War and XP's" (web material chronicaling the battle of Azure City).

bluish_wolf
2008-03-30, 05:01 PM

You know, when you visit the site and look at the comic, it saves a copy of the picture automatically to the hard drive, right? In temporary files. So, he isn't doing anything that everyone else is doing. Besides, you can't steal something that is given away freely.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-03-30, 05:18 PM
Indeed. I copy and save everything to a folder on my harddrive, AND own copies of all four books. I just wish Rich would get the Dragon Magazine strips out to us.

The bonus material is pretty good, and the two prequel books were well worth the money I spent on them. Just waiting on War and XPs, and I'm curious about what the book afterwards will be named.

Soundtrack
2008-03-30, 08:01 PM
Hop Goblin: Thanks for the info. I'll keep note of your post so I have a chronological guide to purchase the books.

And thanks to everybody with thier kind help. :)

If Rich is reading this: I admire your work and would never dream of "stealing" it for personal gain... I just wanted to keep copies in case I can't access your web page. I apologize for any offense I may have caused.

Thanks again all!

Morgan Wick
2008-03-30, 08:18 PM
The Chronological order goes as such:

The Start of Darkness (non-released material - where Xykon and Redcloak came from)

Origin of the PC's (non-released material - how OOTS got together)

Dungeon Crawlin Fools (web-material from 001 to, I believe, when they finish the Xykon's Dungeon)

No Cure for the Paladin Blues (web material from after Xykon's Dungeon, through up to about Azure City [I'm not sure where this one ends])

Upcoming is "War and XP's" (web material chronicaling the battle of Azure City).

It's usually pretty obvious where a book break is. Remember #301? That "intermission" is pretty obviously where Paladin Blues turns into War and XPs...

I think the regular collections are in black and white, so...

Gamerlord
2008-03-30, 09:23 PM

i think the books are just a scam

monty
2008-03-30, 11:37 PM
i think the books are just a scam

Detect Sarcasm doesn't always work very well over the internet, so I really hope you're joking.

factotum
2008-03-31, 12:19 AM
Detect Sarcasm doesn't always work very well over the internet, so I really hope you're joking.

He's probably one of those people who has a real problem with somebody actually getting paid for their hard work, and who is therefore going to get a rude awakening when he finds out he actually has to work for a living...

Jube
2008-03-31, 04:29 AM
You guys do realise viewing the comics online costs him money?

And that re-reading them off your hard drive doesn't?

Just a thought.

(Also: Yes obviously you should buy the books. Just pointing out that downloading something isn't stealing)

NerfTW
2008-03-31, 12:44 PM
It's usually pretty obvious where a book break is. Remember #301? That "intermission" is pretty obviously where Paladin Blues turns into War and XPs...

I think the regular collections are in black and white, so...

No, they are not. Only the prequel books are in black and white.