PDA

View Full Version : Tardis

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-30, 04:55 PM
So, in the combined interests of convenience and style, my artificer has decided to make a TARDIS (Time and Relative Dimensions in Space) to use as his main base.

I'm suspecting a modified bag of holding with a few of those jars of air would do it, but one of those Endless Larders and Everful basins from the stronghold book would be useful as well. If I'm right, I can also enchant the "Police Box of Holding" to fly and teleport, although it'll cost a bundle. Also, is 250 cubic feet REALLY enough for a viable living space for 5 people?

Now I just need a way to keep atmosphere in, make sure its indestructible (walls of force?) and a way for it to translate things for me. Any ideas?

Oh, I'm 8th level by the way. I don't really need to time travel either.

mostlyharmful
2008-03-30, 05:01 PM
Just make it a door with a portal in it that you can move around remotely, at the other end you can have a nice mansion or what have you and it has the added benefit of being safe to send into places where you don't know as it's safe since you aren't in it.

That or just make a single room hut from the stronghold builders guide, throw on every transport and teleport function and whack a Magnificant mansion on an internal wall.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-30, 05:02 PM
Portable Hole. Bottle of Air. Portable Hole #2 at back of #1. Also, since you're an Artificer, set up the Portable Hole #1 on a frame that can be opened/closed with the push of a button and takes up little space. Just because you can.

bugsysservant
2008-03-30, 05:02 PM
I don't think it can be done with eighth level WBL, even that of an artificer. In addition to what you mentioned, you also need some kind of suggestion to keep people from looking at it or thinking too hard. Constant effects get expensive fast.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-30, 05:09 PM
Don't forget the Stronghold Builder's Guide permanent Rope Trick to expand your space to conserve cash although the pricier Magnificent Mansion will have more spaces.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-30, 05:25 PM
I forgot to mention... I took the -25% of the cost feat three times. My DM only has the original book, and it clearly states you're allowed to make it multiple times.

Shovah
2008-03-30, 05:37 PM
That's what erratas are for.

Annarrkkii
2008-03-30, 05:37 PM
Firstly, TARDIS is always in all caps.

Secondly, 250 cubic feet is not enough to be a very fun living space. Viable, maybe, fun, no. The generic manifestation of 250 cubic feet would be a cubic room about 6.3 ft. on a side. I'm almost 6.3 ft. tall. That's a tiny space. There are other ways to do it—a room 5x5x10 would work, also. Any way you slice it, you're not going to have much room at all. If this is your base of operations, you'll barely have room for a bed, much less an artificers workshop.

The portable hole idea suggested earlier is a good one. The Stronghold Builder's Guidebook can be of help here, if you by some small fortified room, enchant it with a glamer and one of the several mobility abilities from the SBG, and set a portal to some extradimensional space (be it a portable hole or two, a Rope Trick, a Magnificient Manshion, or whatever) in the doorway. Activate the portal and you can go into the workshop. Deactivate it and you're standing in a sparsely furnished 5x5 room.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-30, 05:46 PM
A continuous item of MMM is 91,000 GP. Activate it in a Portable Hole or Bag of Holding. It lasts forever and will be more than enough space. It's a bit outside of your WBL, but there you go. Start saving. :smallwink:

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-30, 05:46 PM
That's what erratas are for.

Sssssssh. :smallwink: We're rather unpaid in this campaign already.

Firstly, TARDIS is always in all caps.

Secondly, 250 cubic feet is not enough to be a very fun living space. Viable, maybe, fun, no. The generic manifestation of 250 cubic feet would be a cubic room about 6.3 ft. on a side. I'm almost 6.3 ft. tall. That's a tiny space. There are other ways to do it—a room 5x5x10 would work, also. Any way you slice it, you're not going to have much room at all. If this is your base of operations, you'll barely have room for a bed, much less an artificers workshop.

The portable hole idea suggested earlier is a good one. The Stronghold Builder's Guidebook can be of help here, if you by some small fortified room, enchant it with a glamer and one of the several mobility abilities from the SBG, and set a portal to some extradimensional space (be it a portable hole or two, a Rope Trick, a Magnificient Manshion, or whatever) in the doorway. Activate the portal and you can go into the workshop. Deactivate it and you're standing in a sparsely furnished 5x5 room.

Hm. Wouldn't multiple portable holes be rather more expensive? Fixed the capitialization by the way.

streakster
2008-03-30, 06:01 PM
Hmm. Away from book, so let's see what the SRD can do.

Permanent MMM indoors.

Intelligent Item, max intelligence and wisdom. That gives us most languages right there, as well as scanners. Give it Detect magic, decipher script, and Knowledge (What you think fits best). For greater, Arcane Eye, Detect Scrying, and Status. Have it speak in those weird moans it makes.

Tongues at will, plus a continuous mind link power so it can hear what you hear and translate for you.

Plane Shift at will, Greater Teleport at will.

Permanent walls of force, surrounding the outside of the TARDIS.

Permanent Fly spell.

Add in a permanent Screen spell "There is no box. The box is a lie."

Also, an at-will Light spell, for the top.

That's a start, at least.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-30, 06:17 PM
Hmm. Away from book, so let's see what the SRD can do.

Permanent MMM indoors.

Intelligent Item, max intelligence and wisdom. That gives us most languages right there, as well as scanners. Give it Detect magic, decipher script, and Knowledge (What you think fits best). For greater, Arcane Eye, Detect Scrying, and Status. Have it speak in those weird moans it makes.
Tonges at will, plus a continuous mind link power so it can hear what you hear and translate for you.
Plane Shift at will, Greater Teleport at will.
Permanent walls of force, surrounding the outside of the TARDIS.
Permanent Fly spell.
Add in a permanent Screen spell "There is no box. The box is a lie."
Also, an at-will Light spell, for the top.
That's a start, at least.

*Punches it into cash register* Well, I think I can manage the persistent MMM, and then just add to it as I go along.

streakster
2008-03-30, 06:30 PM
Tell your friends in your party to chip in. They'll benefit too.

Also, Shrink Item can make huge amounts of cash - shrink some huge temple altars or such that are normally too big to move, and cash them in for work funds.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-30, 06:48 PM
Also, Shrink Item can make huge amounts of cash - shrink some huge temple altars or such that are normally too big to move, and cash them in for work funds.

Wait... wouldn't that be stealing? Or just start a building company and export entire cities at a time?

streakster
2008-03-30, 07:22 PM
Wait... wouldn't that be stealing? Or just start a building company and export entire cities at a time?

Well, only so much as your normal activities of looting the dead bodies of all who oppose you are. Just ensure that it's an evil temple, and go to town. Heck, you might even get a reward for removing the evil temple, too.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-30, 07:35 PM
Alternatively...

DM: So, you're at the edge of the stronghold, and you see-
Artificer: Everyone! NOW!
*party and NPC hirelings all fire Shrink wands*
Artificer: I did the math. We've got enough to shrink a dozen cities here.
DM: I... crap. Fine. You now have a tiny goblin stronghold. What do you do?
Artificer: We put it on the wagon. I hire the bard to begin advertising our fortress for sale.

D Knight
2008-03-30, 09:19 PM
i have no idea how this will work or even if it will. make a key that turns any door that it "unlocks" it to MMM that has 2 doors at the front entrance. and the key is an Intelligent Item so it will not open the second door for anyone but you. And now i want to see if this works enjoy my idea.

did alittle of the math and the price adjustment is 95664 then you add in the price of a key (simiple or fancy). you might be able to do it but it can only be used 3/day because thats how many charges it has of MMM and afew things off the list above.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-30, 09:34 PM
Don't forget the -30% discount custom magic item crafting rule's discount from the DMG tying the magic to something like the PC being the only one able to use it.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-03-30, 09:37 PM
Wasn't there a spell that let you make your own psudo-plane? Genesis or something like that? I'm sure an Artificer could whip up a scroll of a 9th level spell by 8th character level and UMD it into existance.

Problem solved.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-30, 09:53 PM
A scroll of Genesis is 3,825 GP. An item of Planeshift 3x per day is 46,000 GP. That may be the best idea so far.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-30, 11:03 PM
A scroll of Genesis is 3,825 GP. An item of Planeshift 3x per day is 46,000 GP. That may be the best idea so far.

Doesn't that spell have a high material component or experience point cost which would make the scroll cost more?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-30, 11:07 PM
Dangit, yes. I just saw that. 5,000 XP. It would be cheaper to Wish for an item of continuous MMM inside of a BoH. Someone fix Genesis, will you? It's an epic level spell, but there should be a cheaper way of doing this. :smallannoyed:

DementedFellow
2008-03-30, 11:22 PM
Firstly, Annarrkkii: When you make a thread in this forum with one word and try to make it ALL CAPS it will make it so that only the first letter is capitalized.

Quite frankly 50 cubic feet is plenty of room so long as you have control as to the proportions. I'm going to try some math, so if I'm wrong, tell me so. I at least admit I am prone to make errors when it comes to math.

So my assumption is that cubic means length times width times height. So we in essence have at least an average of 50x50x50, giving us the number 125000 to play with.

So let's say you have need use of a 20 ft ceiling. 125000 / 20 = 6250. Now, let's say we keep the original width of the place, that being 50. 6250 / 50 = 125. So we have a space of 50x125x20. Still adds up to 50 cubic ft.

And again, I apologize if I am wrong. I just want to bring a fresh perspective.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-30, 11:28 PM
Demented Fellow:You're wrong. :smalltongue:
50 cubic feet = 5*5*2.
125,000 cubic feet = 50*50*50.

DementedFellow
2008-03-30, 11:32 PM
Demented Fellow:You're wrong. :smalltongue:
50 cubic feet = 5*5*2.
125,000 cubic feet = 50*50*50.

lol I knew it was too good to be true. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-30, 11:37 PM
Don't forget most Stronghold Builder's Guide cost per space use a 20' by 20' room which is probably allowed a little leeway on the height 10 - 20' range.

The Psionic Genesis Power EPH might be a cheap way to acquire more space depending on if it can be cast for someone to make a private demiplane since it only has a 1,000 exp cost.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-30, 11:54 PM
If you did continuous MMM as Wondrous Architecture from Stronghold Builder's Guidebook, and if you did it as non-movable, but inside a Portable Hole, it would be 45,500(500*7*13)+22,000(Portable Hole)=67,500. Still bad, but better.

Randel
2008-03-31, 12:00 AM
Okay, I looked in the Magic Item compendium and found a Relic called the Enveloping Pit.

For lawful evil, lawful neutral, or neutral evil characters it acts like a portable hole except the opening can be as small as a 1-foot square or a 10-foot square if layed out and its 50 feet deep. So, set a few walls and floors in there and you could have yourself five or so 10 by 10 square foot rooms.

The market price is a mere 3,600 gp. But it requires Sanctify Relic in addition to Craft Wonderous Item and it seems the origional ones were made a kobold goddess named Kurtulmak.

So yeah, if you want to go that route, just find a deity that likes your idea and let them help you.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-31, 12:25 AM
Permanent Shrink Item could also work.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-31, 06:36 AM
Permanent Shrink Item could also work.

I was considering that. What happens if you enter a shrunken building? Thats the sort of thing that would work well. I think my best bet is to simply ask my DM about a modified shrink spell. I don't think he's seen enough Dr. Who to know where I'm going with this. It even sounds rather like a standard DMG item. The teleporting and other nifty extras I can add in later.

"Clever Blue Box" (forgive me on the measurements)
It appears to be a 10 foot tall, 5 foot wide 5 foot long box. On the inside, it is larger, a circular room roughly 30 feet tall and 70 feet in diameter.

Prereqs:Shrink Item, CL 6th, market price: 30,000 gp.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-31, 06:38 AM
Do it with a Permanency scroll for 1,500 exp.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-31, 07:18 AM
Do it with a Permanency scroll for 1,500 exp.

I think you'd need to twist it around a bit as per magical item creation.

DeathQuaker
2008-03-31, 12:17 PM
*Doctor Who geek gets sucked into thread* THWOOOOOOSK!

Okay, the ideal D&D TARDIS, close enough to the "real thing" while being a fantasy equivalent:

TARDIS Exterior: Closet of Holding, which contains the rest.

TARDIS Appearance: If trying to resemble a fully-functioning TARDIS (as opposed to the Doctor's), you'd want some Divination+Illusion magic that changes it into whatever looks most unobtrusive whereever it appears (so next to a Roman building, it turns into a column, and when appearing in a library, it looks like a bookshelf, etc.)

If you want it to be like the Doctor's TARDIS, with the non-functional chameleon circuit, just paint it blue and hope nobody notices it, which is all that the Doctor does pretty much (unless I'm forgetting some 'SEP field' explanation offered in the recent series. Note that usually people do notice it if they are near it).

TARDIS Interior: Technically, this is supposed to be a series of potentially infinite rooms (although the Doctor has jettisoned rooms in the past, and how you jettison a piece of infinity is beyond me). But with the idea that the TARDIS can add and delete rooms as needed, what I'd do is start small and add big. Go w/ your 50x50x50 foot space (or even just a 20x20x20 "console room" to start with) and see if you can expand the proportions later as you become more powerful. Ask your GM if you can research a unique spell if necessary.

TARDIS Rooms: You start off with your "console room"; this via various contingencies and the like control's the machine's functions. Make this room a Room of Tongues, where all is understandable (not sure how it would act as Tongues outside the room, though). Put in a scrying glass (scanner) and various Divination spells (as opposed to the Doc's various atmospheric readers, etc.). You'll want an "Alarm" set to go off if the magic is dispelled or disrupted for any reason, or if you've landed in an inhospitable area (Cloister Bell).

The Doc's TARDIS has been shown to have a master bedroom (or wherever the Doctor Sleeps) and 2 bedrooms for companions, which each can comfortably sleep 2 people (Nyssa and Tegan share a room; Adric has the other). There is a bathroom, a pool room (or indoor bath), a wardrobe, a medical room, and a kitchen (which is where you'd eventually put your everfull larder, etc.), and probably various labortories. There was a "zero room" at some point, which effectively had a Permanent "Calm Emotions" cast upon it (and possibly restored Int and Wis damage if you stayed there over time). Of these, the essentials would be the kitchen, bathroom, and bedrooms if you're planning to sleep there.

TARDIS travel: This needs to be cast on the exterior of the box, not the interior, since that is what technically does the takeoff and landing. But you could build a "console" with contingency buttons that set off the box's travel. TARDISes fly poorly--I actually wouldn't bother if you wanted to be "authentic" but OTOH it's cheaper to make it fly first.

Then of course teleport.... but if you want it to be like the Doctor's, it needs to have at least a 50% chance of not landing where it's supposed to--including landing waaaaaay of course even more than a standard teleport spell can do. You could work this "error" in and see if your GM would allow you to bring down the price. If you want it to be a working TARDIS, then teleport w/o error (or whatever it's called) off course.

The other option would be is if you really wanted to use it to only travel to limited places, then paint some teleportation circles on it.

Most of these you could definitely add on piece by piece as you had the funds for--make the box, make the console room, add the console room enchantments, etc. and go from there.

MorkaisChosen
2008-03-31, 02:48 PM
It needs Ghost Sound (maybe a limited version) as well.

Anyone that doesn't know why needs to scrape a key up and down the bass strings of a piano.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-31, 04:09 PM
Now... could I take an Efficient Quiver, and then fill it with wands and staffs and things, and then Shrink Item the lot? A bit of paint and "decorations" and suddenly I have a small object that does virtually anything and everything. Sonic Screwdriver.

How to make Physic Paper though?

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-31, 04:16 PM
Now... could I take an Efficient Quiver, and then fill it with wands and staffs and things, and then Shrink Item the lot? A bit of paint and "decorations" and suddenly I have a small object that does virtually anything and everything. Sonic Screwdriver.

shadow_archmagi
2008-03-31, 04:19 PM

MorkaisChosen
2008-03-31, 04:37 PM
Psychic Paper, you mean? Judicious use of a limited Silent Image at-will- you decide what image it is, and it shows that. Mind-afefcting effect with a will save, which allows for training to spot it.