PDA

View Full Version : Lunia-free manga style button mashing MMORPG

Oslecamo
2008-03-30, 05:59 PM
Well, as you all know, manga style free mmorpgs are poping up like mushrooms all over the net.

Lunia is one more of them, but with some interesting features.
I found the game today and played it a little, and these are my first impressions:

Manual controls- You need to use the keyboard to move your character, and there's no such thing as auto aim. You attack to the direction you're turned. The enemies also follow this rule, so you can actually dodge attacks by moving out of the way in the right moment. Hitting the enemies also isn't very hard since most attacks affect alarge area . Besides skills/powers/spells, wich consume mana, there's also 2 basic attacks wich can be chained into combos and don't consume mana, suposedly in a great variety of attacks, at least that's what the game says.

Stage system: The good news is, there is a story. Hoorrah! You follow a party of 4 guys who in a quest. Each part of the quest is divided in stages, each one representing roughly one day of adventuring, always ending in a campfire where you can see the loot you got, rest, etc. They even give(optional) cutscenes at the begginning of each stage to advance the story. Actually during the game, in important events, little portraits of the characters will show up saying things. Each stage has main objectives, neeeded to finish it, and secondary objectives, wich will net you special rewards. You begin with only acess to the 1st stage, but as you complete them you get acess to more stages. You can repeat a stage as much times as you want.

The bad news is, there's almost no initial customization for your character. You can only choose wich party member you want to play, and there are only 4. Warrior, healer, mage and some kind of thie/illusionist I think. You can however customize your equipment to make it look diferent from the other players.

Of course, this wouldn't be a MMORPG if you didn't play with other persons. There are several miniservers called "squares", created by the players. People who choose the the same square can play in the stages togheter. You can even make the squares private so only people with the password can enter.

There are also PvP arenas where you can join up parties and challenge other parties to duels to test your strenght, altough I have still to try this.

Button mashing-The enemies come at you by the dozens, and the best way to survive is by mushing the basic attack buttons and now and then some skill, slaughtering them like pigs. However it isn't completely mindless. If you let yourself be surrounded you'll end up being attacked by behind, and the enemies hit hard. Some creeps also have special powers like ranged attacks and some other nasty tricks. But since I only played in the first stages, I believe advanced creeps will actually be challenging beyond mindless button mashing.

Besides the common creeps there are also bosses that are not only much tougher but also have mighty attacks wich demand you to move carefully to dodge them or die. If you die then you can choose to ressurect if you have extra lifes. You get extra lifes at the begginning of each stage, but they don't carry on to the next stages. There are also ressurection stones, but those cost money and are one use.

Well, if you are interested, here's the download link. The game takes less than 3GB and runs fairly smoothly even if your computer(like mine) sucks. Completely free and 1 hour download, I say it's worth a look, even if it's just to relieve some stress by hacking hordes of orcs and wolves to death.

http://lunia.12foottall.com/download/default.asp