PDA

View Full Version : All for the want of games

wadledo
2008-03-30, 07:06 PM
I was recently asked by a local librarian to help her figure out some video games for them to buy, as they had recently gotten a sizable grant for teen stuff.
I have no clue what to get.:smalleek:

So I ask you fine members of the Giant in the Playground Forums;
What would you get?:smallconfused:

Conditions:
They only have a Wii, Xbox 360 and PS2.
No R rated games or anything controversial.
Few RPG's, because this stuff has to be pick up and play for the most part.

Definite:
Legend Of Zelda for Wii
Brawl for Wii
??????????

So, any help?

Rogue 7
2008-03-30, 07:12 PM
Mario Galaxy might be worth a look. If they've got space, Wii Sports and Wii play are great party games, as is Warioware (though Wario isn't something you want to do in public). Other good 1-player games for the Wii are Metroid (T), and that's really about it. Mario Kart will be a must-buy when it comes out.

360...Rock Band is great fun. Other than that, most of the games I know/want for it are RPGs or M.

puppyavenger
2008-03-30, 07:29 PM
I was recently asked by a local librarian to help her figure out some video games for them to buy, as they had recently gotten a sizable grant for teen stuff.
I have no clue what to get.:smalleek:

So I ask you fine members of the Giant in the Playground Forums;
What would you get?:smallconfused:

Conditions:
They only have a Wii, Xbox 360 and PS2.
No R rated games or anything controversial.
Few RPG's, because this stuff has to be pick up and play for the most part.

Definite:
Legend Of Zelda for Wii
Brawl for Wii
??????????

So, any help?

umm, hope they don't expect much use for the 360 if theres no M games.

Thiel
2008-03-31, 05:52 AM
Ratchet and Clank is a must for the PS2.
It's fun, easy to play and has a PEGI rating of 3+.

Revlid
2008-03-31, 08:17 AM
360...Rock Band is great fun. Other than that, most of the games I know/want for it are RPGs or M.

Rock Band. For a Library.

What?

yoshi927
2008-03-31, 08:36 AM
No RPGs? What's the reasoning here? Well, you can try the Sly Cooper series, they're all PS2, I believe. More platformers than RPGs.

Tweekinator
2008-03-31, 08:45 AM
umm, hope they don't expect much use for the 360 if theres no M games.

What's the rating for CoD4? That's an awesome game that people of all ages can enjoy.

Edit: And seconding Rock Band.

Sammich
2008-03-31, 09:19 AM
+1 for Rock Band.

Mr. Scaly
2008-03-31, 09:21 AM
Hmm... Tiger Woods Pro Tour 2007? Some kind of racing game? Pikmin?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-03-31, 10:42 AM
Hey, guys, he said FEW RPG's not NONE. We should suggest some, methinks.

As for pick up and play...get Marvel: Ultimate Alliance for the 360. That way, it gets some use.

Rock Band is good, if they don't mind someone screaming Welcome To The Jungle in a poor imitation of Axl Rose.

Brawl is a must.

Hunter Noventa
2008-03-31, 10:47 AM
I'll put in a vote for Lego Star Wars. Amazingly fun and Addictive, and family-friendly at the same time. I thinkthe second one is better, if only for the lack of Jar Jar.

Oregano
2008-03-31, 12:05 PM
I'll put in a vote for Lego Star Wars. Amazingly fun and Addictive, and family-friendly at the same time. I thinkthe second one is better, if only for the lack of Jar Jar.

I recommend getting the complete saga(I was considering suggesting it anyway). Awesome game also it's on Xbox 360 if that's not getting many games.

Was suggesting motorstorm, but it says PS2 not 3, so will suggest Soul Calibur 3(fighting game) and Seven Samurai 20xx(hack n slash).

Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games, not played it but it looks fun and easy, for the Wii of course.

Sensate
2008-03-31, 02:22 PM
Could it be that no one has mentioned The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion?

Oregano
2008-03-31, 02:35 PM

I would have mentioned it but it's an RPG, one that takes quite a while just to make a character and then get out of the sewers, hardly pick up and play.

Mystic Heroes(PS2): Like a kiddier version of Dyasty Warriors, easily played, simplicistic, can still provide challenges though.

Onimusha Blade Warriors: Smash Bros. style Samurai/Ninja free-for-all great fun, especially when you have Megaman and Zero(who is über cool).

Rogue 7
2008-03-31, 02:46 PM
One would assume that noise would be allowed, seeing as how most video games tend to have sound as a fairly key feature. In other words, yes, Rock Band would be alright, because the video games themselves would be alright. You don't really need to have Rock Band much louder, and singing at the top of your lungs isn't good regardless of where you are.

For casual RPGs, the Tales series is my favorite (admittedly, I haven't had a chance to play too many). Unfortunately, none are out for any of the next gen consoles. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn Of The New World comes out sometime late this year for Wii in America, and Tales of Vesperia for the 360 is still pretty far on down the line. All of the above feature real-time battles, which might be a bit more interesting to the casual gamer than a turn-based system. Which reminds me- Super Paper Mario. Great fun.

Sneak
2008-03-31, 02:51 PM
Even if you already have Rock Band, I'd say Guitar Hero is still a fairly safe choice.

But it's true, if you're not allowing M games then the 360 range is fairly limited.

stm177
2008-03-31, 05:28 PM
Any of the Katamari Damacy games

13_CBS
2008-03-31, 06:02 PM
IIRC, Dynasty Warriors 5 can be a pretty entertaining 2 person beat-em-up. Should be rated T, too.

Do any of the Mario Party games work for the Wii? They're a bit childish, but they're quite a blast.

Were-Sandwich
2008-04-01, 10:10 AM
The Splinter Cell series is fairly intuitive and fun, with very little gore/violence (if you do it properly).

Crispy Dave
2008-04-01, 10:16 AM
What's the rating for CoD4? That's an awesome game that people of all ages can enjoy.

COD 4 is M

but for the 360 there realy isent much there as far as T

Crispy Dave
2008-04-01, 10:17 AM

thats got a M rating

Terraoblivion
2008-04-01, 10:41 AM
The only reason Oblivion has got an M is because there exists user created mods that removes the built in underwear. Which is a rather silly thing to base a rating on i think.

Airk
2008-04-01, 12:38 PM
Rogue7: Tales of the Abyss is for PS2 and is arguably one of the best entries in the Tales series ever. Don't know that it's a really great idea for a 'public game' though, unless memory cards are provided somehow.

I'd recommend Okami (PS2, or Wii, eventually) with the same caveat - it's tons of fun and very well inside it's "T" rating - but it's a 40 hour long game. ;)

Definitely second the motion for Katamari Damacy though.

Logic
2008-04-01, 01:30 PM

What? Call of Duty 4 is a game all ages can play? While I highly enjoy it, the scenes of torture and executions do not allow it to fall into the "all ages" category.

Viva Piņata. This game appears extremely childish, and/or for girls that don't game, but I had fun playing it. Someone may take a leap of faith when their dollar is not riding on it.

Psychonauts is a decent one to add to the list. While I found it odd, and not nearly as good as the hype, I have yet to find someone that didn't like it. (Yes, I know it isn't 360, but Psychonauts is fully backwards compatible with most X-Box 360s. You only need the console update. It also came out for the PS2 for all you nitpickers out there.)

Bully is a good choice as well.

Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga

Beyond Good and Evil