PDA

View Full Version : The Center Cannot Hold [Group B]

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-31, 01:11 AM
Our Intrepid Heroes:

Adrian (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=46581)
Dvar Urrand (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=46560)
Lenneth Brynhild (http://www.shonuffstudios.com/gothmoor/profiler/view.php?id=229)
Ydralianna "Yann" Kyr'n (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=46518)
Ashley Lebed (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=10154&sid=b1628debc520f08d0e16e30472cc648a)
Gathon (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=28620)

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-01, 12:20 AM
decided to make a new post, on the off chance folks are waiting for a new post to register in their thread subscriptions box.

Narrator:
It is a pleasant evening at the Cork and Arrow, a mid sized tavern in the Imperial garrison town of Deenan, the only strong imperial presence in the eastern frontier of Caradhras. You are awaiting contact from a fellow named Dal-Penel, a gnome that finds you work from time to time. You have just about finished your supper, and are listening to a minstrel tell the tale of the fall of a great empire, one that ruled a thousand years ago. It might be an interesting tale, but this minstrel isn't very good. The gist of it is that the capital of this empire was sacked by a barbarian horde, and the elite warriors of the empire never showed up to fight in the battle. The emperor drank from a poisoned goblet rathet than face the humiliation of defeat. The tale is about to end when your contact sits down at the table with you. He has dark hair that is a shade of purple, you think. It would be unusual if he wasn't a gnome. He is dressed in dark green and gray clothes, of a fashionable cut.

"Evenin' gents. I 'ave some work lined up for you. Fella by the name of Illichin Melindy owns a diamond mine a day 'nd a 'alf north from here. 'Parently there's some crazy muck taken over the mine, killed his men, and the last group he sent to check it out did nae come back. Payoff is 400 platinum, plus he'll look the other way if you want to pocket any loose diamonds you find. This crazy mook's probly got some magic of his own you can loot as well- Melindy's got no interest in tha', he just his mine operational again, afore the empire misses its next shipment. Thar's 'ell to pay if the empire don't git its taxes from him, and they want the dimonds, not gold."

SoD
2008-04-01, 04:00 AM
Dvalr

Dvalr chases the last scraps of cheap sauce around the plate with a small chunk of bread and rolls his eyes ''Hell to pay? Anythin' to avoid the Empire missin' out on its taxes.'' After a moments thought, he adds: ''Do we get any more information apart from 'day an' a half north' and 'crazy muck'? I'm in, but I wouldn't mind more information on what I'm in fer. Give me more news an' I'll pay fer yer next drink or two.''

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-01, 04:47 AM
Dal Penel pulls out a map. It isn't particularly well drawn, but it is good enough to get the idea of where things are. The location of the diamond mine is marked on the map.

"I don't have much intel on the guy. I heard he's got some earth critters workin' with him. One of the survivors from the first attack said he saw a critter with a mouth on top of its 'ed, and eyes on its side. Three long clawed arms, and it came up out of the ground, and et most of 'is crew."

DC 18 Knowledge Planes or Bardic Lore to identify as a Xorn. DC 28 to know its special qualities. Yes, this is ad-hoc DCs, the standard rules for that are rubbish.

I will have an actual image of the map tomorrow

J-H
2008-04-01, 07:19 AM
Adrian
"Wonderful. We get to help finance the Empire," he snorts. "Still, it's quite a bit of money." He leans back in his chair.

"I'm in. Though...with the Empire controlling most of the magic, either they are going to come down on this guy too, when they get the chance, or he's a rogue from the Empire." This may get a bit more interesting if we don't get there quickly.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-01, 09:13 AM
Yann

A fine-featured elf steeples her fair fingers and massages her temples through the silky golden locks obscuring her forehead. The corners of her lips curl ever so slightly into a frown as her gaze narrows...

Ydralianna heaves a sigh and reaches down, grasping the dirty pewter mug as if it were the daintiest goblet of glamerglass. She swirls the vessel and stares into the murky depths of the cheap ale within.

How low I have fallen... serving the very foe against which I was sworn... Well, at least wherever I go, I can bring some measure of the cheer of ages past, some measure of the learning that was lost at the fall of Larevyn...

Yann takes one last sip of the bitter brew then slides the still-half-filled mug to her dwarven companion. Tired green eyes meet his and with a wink and a half-hearted smile gives the ale away.

As Dal-Penel prattles on about their latest contract, Yann's melancholy slowly fades as her innate curiousity comes to the fore. She leans forward, eyes glittering in the tavern's smoky light. Out flashes her charcoal pen and a sheet of rough parchment and almost without knowing it, she takes swiftly to transcribing their latest encounter with the gnome. Knowledge--- in whatever form, from whatever source it may come, is precious. Knowledge is a sacred power that flows through all life. Learn, keep on learning, keep on remembering and keep on teaching. Never let knowledge go to waste, or worse, be used toward the wrong ends...

Her breathing quickens a pace as she remembers the doctrine handed down to all novice loremasters at the Library of Larevyn and her lips come together in a grim line as she keeps on writing...

[roll0] Bardic Lore about the 'creature'

And then at the mention of the "earth critter", her breath comes short. Her mind races with remembrance and a corner of her lips curls back in revulsion, in disgust and loathing. Recalling the strange creature that had once graced, no, stained an examination table in the Library, Yann speaks forth, "That beast that slew those men--- the one with three arms... 'Tis called a 'Xorn', indeed as you have very well said, a being of elemental earth. However, verily, what is quite interesting to note at this point is that xorns are not flesh-eating monsters of the dark romances. Rather, 'tis a creature that quite literally feeds on and consumes raw ores, precious metals and other minerals... therefore it is not implausible to conclude that it was after the diamonds that your man Melindy has sought to procure"

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-02, 12:06 AM
"Well, if ya 'avn't got any more questions, I've got some horses ready for you. Will you be 'edin out t'night, or waitin' til mornin'?"

SoD
2008-04-02, 01:49 AM
Dvalr

Catching Yanns eyes and accepting the drink, Dvalr grins. Or at least makes the effort.

''A xorn, eh? So what you're sayin' is we're going to go an' kill something that's eatin' Empire taxes? Shouldn't we be givin' it a medal an' helpin' 'im? Ah...do they insist it gets killed? What if we just move it, or get 'im back to 'is 'ome?

Looking into the drink, thoughtfully, Dvalr speaks again after a few moments. I say we leave now. The sooner we leave, the sooner we get back. Oh, and grab yourself a drink, Dal. and with those words, Dvalr throws a silver peice onto the table in front of his Gnomish contact, drains the ale Yann had passed him.

Just in case you want it for a half full thing of cheap ale. [roll0]

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-02, 01:55 AM
"There really ain't much but grassy plains between here and there. When you start to see the mountains rising in the distance, you'll be getting close to where you're going. Coming from the south, as ya likely will be, you'll hit the mining camp afore you get to the mine itself."

OOC: what happened to the post I just responded too?

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-02, 02:16 AM
((@^: Sorry, chief. It was... inconsistent...))

"I highly doubt that that lone xorn is all that there is over yonder..." the grey elf mutters.

"Though to our eyes such creatures seem beastly and savage, they are actually no more or less intelligent than you or I. I suspect more than a tad of magical mischief is afoot here for it takes a spellcaster of significant power to bring xorns from their native elemental plane and here bind them and enslave them" Yann pauses thoughtfully, stroking her chin.

"As you have indeed stated, Dvalr, we can 'move it' or return it to its home--- verily, such liberation for a spellbound slave is the solution I would myself prefer, but if that is our course of action then we must find some way of breaking the spellchains that anchor it to its unnatural service..." thus she says and grunts as she picks up her pack and shoulders it.

Huffing with the strain and somewhat wishing that she had ordered something more substantial than soup and salad, Ydralianna straightens her stance, standing as tall and steady as she can. Trying not to lean too much on her staff, she forces a smile and inclines her head ever so slightly towards Dal-Penel. "May the Seldarine smile upon you. Our thanks for the aid in time of need", she intones the olden blessing even though it rankles her heart to have been forced into such shady dealings...

She then tucks her charcoal pen away and blows upon her scroll, making sure that it is clean of loose scrapings. Taking the parchment itself, she folds it backwards, then slips it into one of her numerous folders in her satchel of scrolls and other papers. Arching a delicate brow at her companions, she says, "Well comrades, the moon waits not... shall we be off, then?"

J-H
2008-04-02, 07:28 AM
Adrian
"Travel here and stay awake in town through the day, then depart at night and... travel through the night and the next day? Time is important, but we should also take care of ourselves, and that means having enough sleep. Let's leave first thing in the morning--out before sunrise when there are fewer observers, and eat breakfast on the move."

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-03, 12:07 AM
In the afternoon of the first day of travel, as you are making your way through the grassy plain, you hear a low growl. Before any of you can react, a great cat with a fiery mane and glowing red eyes leaps upon Lenneth, biting and clawing. Its roar echoes across the plain, and is answered by a pair of growls, one to your left, the other to your right, the source of both still unseen. The lion's teeth and claws sink deeply into Lenneth's arm and torso (3 hits, 22dmg total), nearly dragging him to the ground, but in a feat of heroic strength, he throws the creature off (you beat the lion's grapple check with I. Grab).

wow, both Group A & B were caught totally unawares in the first encounter. That does not bode well.

Initiative:

Dvar Urrand
Ashley Lebed
Lions
The lion will continue to attack Lenneth, unless he withdraws, in which case it will attack/pounce the nearest target
Adrian
Nicolas Sinvos
Lenneth Brynhild
Ydralianna "Yann" Kyr'n

DC 10 knowledge: nature to recognize lions, DC 15 to know special traits of lions.
DC 10 knowledge: planes to recognize fiendish creature, DC 20 to know special traits of fiendish creatures.

Anyone with combat reflexes and a reach weapon may take an AoO on the lion when it charged Lenneth.

You failed to spot the lions still in hiding. It is a move action to retry in combat after failing the initial free spot check.

The tall grass in this area provides concealment to opponents more than 10 feet away.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-03, 01:50 AM
[roll0] Knowledge Nature check
[roll1] Knowledge Planes check

SoD
2008-04-03, 01:52 AM
Knowlege (nature)
Knowlege (the planes) untrained [roll1]
Both failed? I'm a wilderness dwarf who doesn't know what a lion is?!

''Ah, wha-'' Quickly reaching for his morningstar from his side, Dvalr, grasping it with both hands, charges the catlike beast. ''Don't worry, Lenneth, I'll get ye out! Upon reaching the creature, Dvalr swing his morning star, throwing the force from the charge at the creature.

[roll]d20+12
d8+7

Battle stats:
Dvalr: 60/60hp, AC 14, longstrider

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-03, 01:55 AM
Go ahead and post your actions, guys.

SoD
2008-04-03, 02:04 AM
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] wouldn't let me roll on edited post.

Battle stats:
Dvalr: 60/60hp, AC 14, longstrider

J-H
2008-04-03, 07:38 AM
Adrian

[roll0]

If the other two lines come into line of sight and are reachable, Adrian will move towards the closest one and attack it in melee. If not, he moves to the lion attacking Lenneth.

Once he reaches the lion, his staff becomes a fast-moving blur.

Flurry of Blows, -2 to all attacks means I get 3 attacks w/ Qstaff at +6
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
not sure if AOO applies, rolling it in OOC

J-H
2008-04-03, 07:40 AM
Adrian
Not sure if I got an AOO or not. If I do, here it is. I'm assuming that since it's an AOO rather than part of the flurry, it's made at full AB... if not, -2 on my to-hit.

OOPS wrong window, this went into IC. Rather than clutter with more posts and a re-roll I guess I"ll leave this here. sorry
[roll0]
[roll1]

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-04, 05:53 AM
Ydralianna "Yann" Kyr'n

"Ailisel Seldarie!" Yann yells, her fair voice tainted with distress at their sudden plight. "Beware their claws lest they bring you down and rend you asunder!"

Keeping her staff levelled and steady in front of her, ready to fend off any beast should it come for her, the elven bard slinks up to the right behind the three warriors holding the beast at bay. Wincing at the lion's devilish growling, Yann steels herself and then lunges forward and touches Adrian's upper arm with a tender hand then sings some words of power in the high tongue of her people and the younger Common tongue.

"Sisir eil palaer, molol thys si kyr eil vol
Vari col sia shydia caer, shi vyr ail Jhasaerol'm jhol
Moli ol ail balys, ber si tari eil kaer si tol...

Fearless and dauntless, striving for the good and right
Raise high thy bloody heads, be proud in Larethian's light
Strive on in valour, just the cause and great the might..."

((Cast Heroism---+2 on practically every roll--- on Adrian. Prepare to either cast Grease on the lion/s or cast another Heroism spell on Dvalr))

Nephili
2008-04-06, 03:36 AM
Ashley yawns as she walks along with the group, staring at the ground. She was still having a bit of trouble getting used to a more 'normal' schedule, sleeping at night and waking early every morning, and she fails to notice the attack until she hears her companion's cries. Cursing under her breath, she drops down quickly, drawing her bow. Taking cover in the tall grass, her eyes peering through it as she scans for a target, doing her best to remain hidden at the same time.

[roll0] Spot
[roll1] Hide
[roll2] Move Silently

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-08, 04:33 AM
Dvalr charges at the fiendish lion as Ashley fades away into the concealing tall grass, as still and silent as a field mouse. Dvalr's strike lands true, and there is an audible crack as the lions head snaps back, and blood gushes from its temple. With unnatural ferocity, it continues to press the attack on Lenneth, tearing into him, and once more biting deeply, this time across his torso (total of 17 damage). Lenneth once again throws the creature off of him, and with a savage howl, his form twists and warps, his muscles strengthening, fur growing across his body, and massive sharp horns bursting forth from his skull. As Adrian moves up and strikes at the creature with his staff, Lenneth lowers his head and catches the beast's stomach on his horns, tearing through its hide and causing its guts to spill out across the prairie ground, mixing with his blood.

*wow, I guess it pays to NPC. near max damage crit that I rolled on behalf of Lenneth*

OOC: So, I am giving Lenneth until the next time I am online (see OOC thread) to post. If he posts, his display of savagery is too much for the remaining lions, and they flee through the grass. If he doesn't, they leap upon him with claws and fangs, almost certainly rending him asunder.

SoD
2008-04-09, 12:57 AM
Dvalr

Dvalr looks on, suprised at the quick finish of the beast.

''Once again, I'm filled with the thought that if he turned on us, we'd never know. I don't know what that beast was-'' says Dvalr as he draws his handaxe from his belt, ''but I'm not betting on it being alone.''

Dvalr looks around, trying to check for more 'large cat beasts', and murmurs under his breath: ''Nyr doch, gilgunn.''

[roll0]

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-09, 03:11 AM
"Indeed, dear comrades..." Yann mutters, her fair hands clutching the cold medallion of Corellon that lies hidden beneath the bodice of her dress.

Taking a deep breath, she bursts once more into a song of inspiration to unfailing valiant courage.

"Stand ready
Stand steady
Silver souls gleaming in the sable sky
Your valour does not lie
Watch the darkness,
The shadows, bless
Bless them with fire and steel
Heroes' wrath, you make them feel"

((Rip forth with some Inspire Courage, yo... that is, if the lions attack again))

Nephili
2008-04-10, 01:05 AM
Ashley returns to a more casual pose, not putting her bow away quite yet. "Are... um, are they gone?"She continues to scan her surroundings carefully, still on edge from the suddenness of the attack.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-10, 01:19 AM
Dvar Urrand
Ashley Lebed
Adrian
Nicolas Sinvos
Lions
Ydralianna "Yann" Kyr'n

Two lions leap out from where they were hiding and tear into Lenneth with teeth and claws, leaving naught but a shredded bloody ruin when they are through. Yann speaks words of encouragement to all, to counter the horrific sight. This concludes the second round.

SoD
2008-04-10, 06:35 AM
Dvalr
Shocked at the sudden appearance of the additional beasts, Dvalr swiftly turns and swings at the one closer to him, shouting out an incomprehesiable scream of rage and anger:

Swinging his weapons wildly, Dvalr thinks to himself: One moment of innatention can be dangerous. This was a harsh lesson for us, and, although we will mourn him, it must be a lesson learnt. Maktub.

Attack rolls, etc. here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4173140&postcount=55), because I screwed up. Again.

Oh, and: Dvalr: AC 16, 45 HP. Uninjured.

J-H
2008-04-10, 07:29 AM
Adrian
Adrian chooses the nearest lion and moves to attack it.

Do we get any AOOs? Rolling AOO and full attack, if they are farther away (should be close) then only get 1 attack I think. No flurry this time since I don't know if I'm getting full attack.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-10, 08:33 AM
"Fallen comrade,
Dear Lenneth
Thou shalt not fade
Even unto direst death
We'll treasure thy memory,
And cherish thy legacy
Of the world's woes, be ye now fee
Thus I exhort ye dear friends
Avenge his doom to the bloody world's ends
Arise in might
Show these beasts
Our cause be just and right
With valour true
With naught to rue
Herewith we ban
That they, on innocent heroes' flesh have their feasts!"

Blinking back damned tears at Lenneth's senseless slaughter, at the demise of so noble a savage, Yann's soul sings forth a song of sorrow, of pain and of exhortation. Magic and might there flow through from her heart and into her hands as she reaches forth and empowers Dvalr with her touch.

((Continue Inspiring Courage. Cast Heroism on Dvalr.))

Nephili
2008-04-10, 02:11 PM
Wide eyed with shock at the slaughter of their companion, Ashley raises her bow, snapping off a quick shot at the closest animal, taking several nervous steps backward as she does.

Attack the closest lion with +1 Shortbow, with inspire courage:
[roll0] to hit
[roll1] for damage
5 foot step back after the shot is taken

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-10, 11:31 PM
Adrian and Dvalr fall upon the lions, quickly slaying one. The other turns towards Adrian, its claws and teeth dripping with blood. Adrian is quick and agile, and manages to avoid all but a grazing blow across his back (9dmg) from the lion's claw. A surge of confidence flows through Dvalr as Yann's magic takes effect.

OOC: remember that your flurry of blows is a standard action for you, due to my houserules for the monk.

Next round.

SoD
2008-04-11, 03:03 AM
''Nyr doch, gilgunn!'' Dvalr shouts, the blood begining to pound in his head, ''This is for Lenneth!''

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Once again, if I need to move to reach the bugger:
[roll8]
[roll9]

First morningstar attack from the full attack, if a 13 hits, I do 26 damage instead of 10. Confirmation found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4177994&postcount=59), in the OOC thread.
Battle stats: Dvalr, AC 16, HP 45 (uninjured)

Nephili
2008-04-11, 04:06 AM
Ashley curses quietly as her first shot goes wide, dropping back down into a crouch, hoping she didn't catch the remaining beast's attention. Gritting her teeth, she lets loose another arrow, doing her best to make this shot count a bit more then the last one.

[roll0] Hide
[roll1] Move Silently
[roll2] To hit (assuming I'm still firing into melee)
[roll3] Damage
[roll4] Sneak attack damage (if applicable)

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-11, 04:43 AM
Once again, Adrian and Dvalr prove to be more than a match for a single lion, quickly crushing it. As you begin preperation to burn the body of Lenneth (as is customary for those who don't want the Empire to defile the body of a friend), Gathon returns from scouting out the land ahead of you. It looks like you will reach the mine in a few hours. Do you want to press on, and reach the site as night falls, or find a place to rest, and approach with morning's light?

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-11, 10:54 PM
Gathon stares at the group. He speaks for a moment, in a gritty, generally unpleasent voice. ""Well, I could go on for a few more hours, and darkness would bring us more cover, but, we should probably burn Lenneth. If anyone wants to immediately go after that, I'm ready."

J-H
2008-04-12, 12:32 AM
Adrian
Adrian rolls his head and stretches his shoulders back and forth, loosening his tense muscles.
"Right. Lots of ground to cover."

SoD
2008-04-12, 01:29 AM
Dvalr, begining to calm down, shares his thought from earlier, speaking sadly, but still holding his weapons: ''One moment of inatention c'n be dangerous. This was a harsh lesson for us, an', although we must mourn 'im, it must be a lesson learnt.'' Silently, Dvalr places his weapons back in their appropriate buckles.

Dvalr looks at Lenneths torn body. ''...ye were a brave warrior, an' steadfast in yer beleifs. Ye'll be surely missed by us, an' I hope ye know that we slayed the beasts that finally struck ye down. Maktub.''

And finally, to the world in general, and to nobody in paticular he speaks a third time. ''I've lost friends an' family before, but experience doesn' soften the blow. I say we press on as soon as we safely can. I'd rather not sleep jus' after a friend was killed. We mus' press onwards.''

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-12, 01:39 AM
"Methinks we should press on and make camp at the mine's entrance... who knows how many more leonine beasts...or worse... here lurk in the wilderness awaiting to ambush unwary travellers" Yann chips in, her delicate hands gripping her staff tightly, her emerald eyes looking at the lengthening shadows with more than a hint of worry.

"Aye... but first, we must tend to our hurts... " says the golden haired elf as she plucks a rune-graved wand made from a length of holly. "Dvalr, Adrian and any else who might be injured, please step this way... And then indeed shall we commit Lenneth's body to the flames that the vile necromongrels of the Empire shall not desecrate the bones of a hero"

With that, she gently lays her hands upon their flesh and passes the wand over their wounds, chanting softly.

"Blood and bone,
Skin and sinew
Hale once more, I make you
Pay me with but a thankful groan"

For whoeverelse
[roll0] CMW wand

For whoever took MORE damage
[roll1] CMW wand
[roll2] CLW bard spell

"Come, comrades..." she says, then bends down into the dirt to the selfsame task. "Let us gather the wood for the pyre and whe all be ready, I shall bless the body that his soul may speed on to a world of light, beyond the reach of the Emperor's darkness..."

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-12, 11:32 AM
((More healing for Adrian, as requested by J-H in OOC thread:
[roll0] CMW wand
[roll1] CMW wand))

Nephili
2008-04-12, 08:47 PM
Ashley nods in agreement with her comrads, returning her bow to her back and moving closer to the rest of the group. She takes a deep breath, still shaking a little from the sudden loss, her eyes avoiding the corpse "That makes sense... I'd really rather not stay out here, there could be more of those things around. The mine might have some cover, at least..." She shudders a little as she steps over to one of the dead lions, looking it over catiously.

SoD
2008-04-13, 03:29 AM
Dvalr

''I'll search ahead, for a worthy final resting place for him. Away from the dead beasts.'' And with a whistle, a tawny owl flies from the nearby trees to land on Dvalrs outstretched arm. Dvalr winces slightly as the claws poke him through his clothing, and starts walking away from the dead beasts.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-14, 12:30 AM
Finding a suiting place, you set a pyre for the recently departed Lenneth, and then find a place to rest for the night between here and the mining camp. It will be only a short hours march to get there in the morning.

J-H
2008-04-14, 07:15 AM
Adrian
"I'll take first watch." Adrian finds a good observation point and settles in to survey their surroundings as the rest of the group goes to sleep.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-15, 05:25 AM
The night passes uneventfully. The events of the previous day weigh heavily on your minds, and you awaken in the morning intent on not making the same mistakes again.

750 XP gained (each).

More later tonight.

Narrator:
You approach the mining camp, which lies in ruins. The smell of death lies heavy in the air, and you can see the bodies of the miners in the ruins of the camp. Standing over one of the bodies is a man in black robes. He is stooped over the body, and appears to be examining it.

J-H
2008-04-15, 07:21 AM
Adrian
Adrian slows and studies the man.
[roll0]
[roll1]
If a bunch of hostiles show up, I'm casting Entangle on them so that the ones farther away will take a few rounds to reach us.

SoD
2008-04-15, 07:38 AM
Dvalr

Dvalr also stops, and, distrusting of unfamliar mages at the best of times, reaches for his morningstar and handaxe, resting his hands on them, the touch comforting to him. At the movement, his owl flies off to a nearby tree.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-15, 10:26 PM
Gathon silently stalks over to a shaded area, and attempts to hide. He draws and nocks his bow.

[roll0] Move Silently
[roll1] Hide

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-15, 10:49 PM
"How can I help you gentleman?" the man says without standing or turning to face you. "If you are here for some reason other than dealing with the heretic, I would recommend leaving this area, as you will not be sufficiently prepared to handle the dangers in this area." With that, he stands, and turns. He is of a fair complexion, with dark hair pulled back in a ponytail, slightly pointed ears, and eyes the color of amber. He hold a pad of paper and a pen in one hand.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-15, 11:28 PM
A bloodsman, a fellow elf or issue thereof? A fellow scholar, mayhap? Could he be some mage with those robes esoteric? How strange that he speaks witha voice so akin to mine! Yan's mind spins with conjectures and inferences as she takes in the stranger's appearance.

"Well met, traveler." she greets him as she comes forward, keeping her hands open and displaying no ill-will. "What heretic is this that you speak of, praytell? I am a scholar and keeper of lore, these fine fellows are my comrades and bodyguards... mayhap we can aid each other in an exchange of information? We... know of at least some of the dangers--- our sources gave us some data esoterica... but prithee, what other dangers do you speak of?"

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-15, 11:36 PM
"A follower of the old gods. This individual seems to have the trappings of a priest of Obad-Hai. Whether or not he is invested with the power of his faith remains to be seen. It will have no bearing on his future, but I am quite interested to see if the old gods are once again meddling in the affairs of this world." The man says, secreting away his notebook and pen in the folds of his robes.

J-H
2008-04-16, 07:05 AM
Adrian
Adrian watches silently.
Can someone do a Knowledge, History or Local check to make sure this isn't the Emperor? Also interested in finding out more about composition of army, and what race the Emp. is.

SoD
2008-04-16, 07:54 AM
Dvalr

''And can we assume ye're here to deal with the heretic? says Dvalr staring at the robed man. ''You'll forgive me for not trustin' you with our reasonin' for being here. We have no proof that ye're not the heretic ye speak of. What is yer name, stranger?'' he says, making no effort to hide his distrust.

As requested:

Knowlege (history): [roll0]

Edit: Damn! I know nothing!

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-16, 10:04 AM
((Bardic Lore check [roll0], as suggested.))

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-16, 10:09 PM
Details on the Emperor will be posted in the OOC thread, because it is common knowledge for both groups.

The stranger raises an eyebrow at Dvalr's comments. "Are you sure you are qualified to hunt a heretic? These are not the trappings of a priest of the old gods. Oh well, feel free to assume what you wish. If things go badly, I'll just have to deal with him myself, although I'd be perfectly happy to let you do my job for me."

SoD
2008-04-17, 12:43 AM
Dvalr

''Not all heretics are immediatly obvious to th' eye. There are those who wear disguises, or hide their true nature beneath a web of lies an' half truths, concealin' their identities. Speakin' o' which, ye still haven' said yer name.'' Semi-convinced that the stranger isn't going to attack, Dvalr gives a quick whistle, and Tawny flies from the nearby tree to land on his shoulder. ''An' I can assure ye that we're more than quilified to hunt down a heretic if we need to.''

Yes. I named my owl. And it's a barn owl.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-17, 12:52 AM
"My name? Of what use would my name be to you?If I were to say that my name was Jeremiah, would that mean anything? If I were a heretic in disguise, would I give my name, or would I give a false one? Or would I even care to give you a name at all?"

J-H
2008-04-17, 07:19 AM
Adrian
Adrian studies the man, attempting to determine if he has travelled on foot or magically to get here. "Do you work for the Empire, or against it?"

[roll0] check to watch for appearance of travelling (dust, wear, etc)
[roll1] check to watch for appearance of travelling (dust, wear, etc)
[roll2]
[roll3]

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-17, 08:13 PM
Gathon studies the man, looking closely for any strange marks or strange flaws in his clothes or skin. He

[roll0] Looking for strange marks on clothes or skin.
[roll1] Looking for strange flaws, things that don't seem natural, on the man's skin or clothes.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-17, 08:23 PM
"Why do you continue to ask questions to which you cannot trust the answer? If I work for the empire, I would say I work for the empire. If I work against the empire, I would still say I work for the empire, to avoid implicating myself as a traitor. Unless of course I believe you to be working against the empire, in which case I would claim to be against the empire, whether I was or not."

Adrian: There is no evidence that this man has been on the road for any length of time. His clothes are clean, unusually so. Based on your knowledge of the arcane, you speculate that this could mean he uses prestidigitation to keep himself clean, or that he teleported here.

Gathon: You notice an image of a bird in a ring on his left hand. Also, judging from the mix of human and elven features, you fairly certain he is a half-elf.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-17, 08:59 PM
Gathon calls out to the man. "Jeremiah, if you worked for the Empire, and believed we did not, you would not play cat and mouse games. You would simply attack, as is the way of the Empire."
"Instead, you chose to sit here and play games with us. If you are the heretic, you would attack us on the spot, if you are as powerful as the rumors state. So, I think you are neither heretic nor Imperial, but something inbetween."

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-17, 09:26 PM
The man chuckles. "Perhaps, but what if I view you as a mouse to the empire's cat? Or perhaps I am the heretic, and am engaging you in conversation to delay you until my allies arrive. Or perhaps I have already told you why I am here, and am talking you around in circles until I discover your reason to travel here."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-17, 09:59 PM
Gathon thinks for a second. "Well, if you did, I'd have to assume you are here hunting the heretic, based on your comments about letting us do your job for you. I'd also assume that you are either powerful, arrogant, or perhaps both, with your talking of asking if we are qualified to take on this heretic."
"And I'm also wondering about that bird on the ring on your hand. I don't recognize it, seeing as how I'm not the most knowledgable man around. Can you tell me where it's from?"

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-17, 10:19 PM
"Oh, this?" the stranger lifts up his hand to let the light catch the jewel in the ring, making the image of the bird in the jewel almost seem to move. "It is just a pretty bauble I picked up in Caradhras. There is no special significance that I am aware of."

Yann:
The ring this man is wearing is very similar to a ring one of your teachers always wore.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-18, 08:54 AM
A sudden chill races down Ydralianna's spine when they encounter the man. As he speaks, an unfathomable dread courses its way through her veins, chilling her to the marrow. Heretic... follower of the old gods... but... I believe in the Seldarine! I shall remain faithful, let fall what may the tempest of the times!

And then when the faint morning's light strikes the heraldry upon the blackrobe's ring, Yann's breath catches in her throat. Her emerald eyes suddenly widen in shock and outrage as memories nearly a century gone rush back to her in a flood of grief.

She sees herself back in the golden halls and alabaster towers of the Library of Larevyn, following and listening, enraptured to lesson after lesson, tale after tale from her masterful professors. The faces and the voices of her classmates and her teachers and even the sights, the smells, the textures of those forgotten tomes of lore fade away into a grey sea of sorrow and all the light in those memories seems to be drawn into the glinting of that one avian-engraved band of cast gold.

...the selfsame ring that glitters on the blackrobe's gaunt, skeletal hand. You bastard! That's Master Cairthwhein's ring! He was a devout follower of the Seldarine and he would never give it up to an unbeliever! I may believe in the power of knowledge, but there are some secrets that are too horrible for the world at large to know, too powerful to fall into the hands of the wicked!

...but then, what if I'm getting ahead of myself? What if I judged him without proper information? But still...

The head of the daughter of Kyr'n bows as she succumbs to the drain of these memories. Her golden bangs fall across her darkened brow and her glaring eyes. One hand darts into the folds of her cloak and makes ready to draw forth a rind of pork to use in a spell while her other hand tightens around the haft of her ashwood staff.

Consciously steadying her breathing, she asks, "Sirrah Jeremiah Blackrobe, do the names 'Cairthwhein' and 'Larevyn' mean anything to you?"

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-20, 11:32 PM
"Based on you expression just now, and the nature of your question, I would say they are in some way related to this ring, which holds some a great significance to you. Aside from that, . . ." he shrugs.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-23, 08:31 PM
"Well, do you want us to take care of that heretic for you, or not?"

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-23, 10:48 PM
"Feel free. I certainly won't stand in your way."

SoD
2008-04-24, 12:31 AM
Dvalr

''Well, is that it? No information on 'im? What do ye expect us to do, go aroun' the area askin' everyone we see if they're the heretic an' knock 'em on the head if they say yes? If we're doin' anything to help yer, we need to know more!'' says Dvalr, getting tired at the mans word games, and almost loosing his temper.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-24, 01:10 AM
"Are you lacking in information? I would hate to think that you would have come all the way out here without knowing what you are here for. You are here to dispose of the one responsible for this, yes? Presumably offered a sum of coin to do so?"

SoD
2008-04-24, 01:17 AM
Dvalr

''Yeah, of course. But our orders were somewhat lackin'. Somethin' along the lines of 'there's a heretic in the area, we'll pay ye to sort 'im out'. Well, they said more than tha', but they speant a long time talkin' without sayin' that much. You seem to know more than ye let on, an' more information would be useful.''

Dvalr is feeling somewhat awkward at being put on the spot...

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-24, 10:20 PM
"Very well then. A straight answer you want, and a straight answer I will give you." He points northward, where you can see a path. "Follow that path for less than a mile. You will find the diamond mine there. In this mine, there is a man who calls himself the servant of Obad-hai, and who has allied himself with several Xorn, and captured the mine."

He turns back to Dvalr. "Happy now? You've gone and spoiled my fun."

J-H
2008-04-24, 10:53 PM
Adrian
"Fun? Fun is for things that don't involve life or death.

Will you come with us?"

SoD
2008-04-25, 01:10 AM
Dvalr

Dvalr opens his mouth to object to the stranger joining them, but closes it again. Probably safer if I let them do the talking...

He gives a quick whistle, and Tawny flies from the nearby tree where she'd been hiding, before landing on Dvalrs shoulder.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-25, 02:57 AM
"I don't think that would be wise for either of us."

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-26, 07:20 PM
Gathon goes and walks toward the path. "Thanks, Jeremiah."

J-H
2008-04-27, 08:57 AM
Adrian
Adrian follows, glancing back at "Jeremiah" repeatedly. He doesn't like leaving the odd man behind, but doesn't feel like he has a choice.

SoD
2008-04-27, 10:52 AM
Dvalr

Dvalr also walks onwards, muttering to the others:
''Then onwards, and hopefully we've seen the last of him.''

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-27, 08:33 PM
Gathon glances back. "I think we'll see him again."

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-28, 01:32 AM
You head down the path, until you see the diamond mine in the distance.

This is what you see:
http://www.jewelinfo4u.com/images/Gallery/ekati_diamond_mine.jpg

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-28, 07:53 AM
When they come clear of Jeremiah's earshot, Yann releases a breath that she didn't know she was holding. She hisses in a whisper to her comrades, "That man, yon blackcloak is a thief or at least a fraud of some sort. I don't bloody trust him. That ring he's wearing--- it belonged to one of my teachers at Larevyn..."

SoD
2008-04-29, 12:36 AM
Dvalr

As they approach the mine, Dvalr speaks again, for the first time since they left 'Jeramiah':''The mage back there claimed that 'is hereitic was controllin' the xorn. Ye said that it was an intelligent creature, would there be a way to release it without harmin' 'im? If so, we should sort out our plan now.''

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-30, 01:41 AM
As you continue this conversation to plan your next action, make a spot check. I will make spot checks for anyone who hasn't yet by tomorrow night before I update. I would prefer for everyone to at least post to make a spot check, just to let me know that you are all still here.

SoD
2008-04-30, 03:52 AM
Dvalr

[roll0]

J-H
2008-04-30, 06:57 AM
Adrian
Adrian gazes outward as the discussion continues.
[roll0]

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-30, 07:10 AM
"Indeed, my deepdelving comrade..." Yann concurs.

Her hands pat down the pockets that line her dress, checking the pouches of spell components therein. The motion makes her suit of elven chain tinkle in the whispers of the breeze.

With deliberate actions, she loads her crossbow against her hip and speaks a word of the Draconic tongue, "Pyros", causing the bolt's head to blaze with a magical flame. Turning to Dvalr, she answers in Common, "If I am not mistaken, to break such an enchantment, we must strike at the enchanter or whoever mage is controlling the xorn. Through means fair or foul--- be he convinced or killed--- the spell that binds the xorn to his will shall then be broken... but honestly, I do so agree with you, dear Dvalr. Truth be told, I wouldn't want to harm any that intend harm to the Empire"

[roll0] Spot, yo.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-04-30, 09:22 PM
Gathon smiles. "Perhaps we can make some sort of deal with him. Have him lie low for a while, maybe, or something of that sort. We can always use allies."

SoD
2008-05-01, 02:05 PM
Dvalr

''I've got a feelin' it won't be that simple. It never is. I'll a gold peice each that it'll be more difficult than just 'talkin' it out'.''

Halna LeGavilk
2008-05-01, 11:14 PM
Gathon shrugs. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Unless, of course, they are both my enemies. You may be right. We shall see."

Skjaldbakka
2008-05-02, 01:57 AM
Unnoticed by the group, a pair of small winged creaures with dry, cracked, white skin and red bloodshot eyes approach, hidden, revealing themselves only by the spray of salt they both launch at the party, the glowing clinging particles sticking to them and getting in their eyes.

The save DC for the glitterdust-like effect is 14 Will. Between the two of them, they hit everyone in the party once with their repsective bursts.

I'm not going to bother with individual initiative for you guys, as you will all go before the salt mephits (DC 18 Knowledge Arcana to ID, DC 28 to know stats (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/mephit.htm#saltMephit))

Miraqariftsky
2008-05-02, 06:14 AM
[roll0] Will save

[roll1] Bardic Lore
[roll2] Knowledge Arcana

[roll3] Attack roll
[roll4] crit check
[roll5] crossbow damage
[roll6] flaming bolt damage

J-H
2008-05-02, 07:26 AM
Adrian
Adrian closes his eyes for a second, and then leaps & lashes out at the nearest mephit.

I am assuming the Heroism effect has worn off...
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

SoD
2008-05-02, 01:54 PM
Dvalr

''Typical! Bloody typical, first lions an' now bloody flyin' things! Why're our travels never uneventful?!'' Dvalr shouts, grabbing his weapons and charging at the nearest creature swing wildly with his morningstar, hanaxe in his offhand.

[roll0]
[roll1] (I am charging. +2 bonus allready added).
[roll2]
Not even bothering with the arcana checks, DC 18+0 skill points=does not compute.

I assume that 27 hits: if so, a total of 18 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4274296&postcount=126) damage.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-05-02, 07:30 PM
Gathon, roaring, launches a flurry of arrows at the creature closest to him.

[roll0] Will
Attacks
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
Damage
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

I'm using a full attack action, using Quick Draw for arrows and I'm assuming I have my bow out from our last encounter. If any of this is wrong, I'll change it.

Halna LeGavilk
2008-05-02, 07:37 PM
Confirming crit.

[roll0]