PDA

View Full Version : Best Divination spells?

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-31, 01:24 AM
What are the best divination spells? Specifically, for a sorceror going into Loremaster (also, wanting to focus a bit on divination).

Yes, I know that is sub-optimal, but there are no wizards in the setting, and I'm getting better skills from Loremaster than sorceror. Also, I'm trying not to make the party fighter and ranger look bad.

My current list, at level 6:

Some level 0 spells, including all the divinations.

Comprehend Languages, Ray of Enfeeblement, Charm Person, Hesitate*

Glitterdust, Invisibilty

Fly

So far, my suggestions for level 3 have been Arcane Sight, Unluck, or Alter Fortune.

*Hesitate is a 3rd party spell. It is a will save or be slowed (as the spell) for 1d4 rnds. Fluffwise, it makes them second-guess everything they do, slowing their reaction time.

Emperor Tippy
2008-03-31, 01:26 AM
What books do you have access to?

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-31, 01:35 AM
Certain- Core, Sandstorm

Certainly Not- Tome of Battle, Magic of Incarnum, Tome of Magic

Everything else is case by case.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-03-31, 01:38 AM
Draconic Bloodline feat from Dragon #311 is nice for higher levels and would probably open up a level 1 spell slot with an understanding DM:

http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Draconic_Bloodline,all

A level dip or two into MotAO Complete Arcane should meet the PRC divination spellcasting requirments for Loremaster if available as an option via the spell pool.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-31, 01:44 AM
The Diviner's Handbook. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=969772)

Also, there's a prestige class in the BoEF that adds an entire domain of mostly Divination spells to your list, while powering up Scry. The prerequisites are easy, and it can be re-fluffed simply by changing a couple spells. Only 3 levels, too.

Skjaldbakka
2008-03-31, 01:50 AM
I'm unlikely to take it, but what does balancing lorecall do? If I remember my lorecall line of spells, it gives some abilities based on your ranks in balance, but what kind of things make it worth taking (according to Diviner's Handbook)?

nargbop
2008-03-31, 02:22 PM
I'm playing a game where I just gained the ability to cast 6th-level spells. Three awesome spells from the PHB divination list , the most fun being legend lore. I'm in dreadful need of it right about now, so I'm very glad to have it.
It all depends on the kind of game you're playing. I'm playing a heavy-planning game with many enemies and lots of lies and obfuscated background information. Whee. So I'm taking a couple weeks in-game off and just scrying and Legend Loring, hard.