PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Thing T. Thing!

Lord Tataraus
2008-03-31, 10:17 AM
Crawling Hand
Diminutive Undead
Hit Dice: 1d12 HD (6 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 20 ft. (2 squares), Climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 20 (+6 dex, +4 size), touch 20, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+4
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: 0 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Trample (1d2), righty-lefty
Special Qualities: Undead Immunities, tremorsense 60ft, true regeneration, turn resistance +4
Saves: Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 22, Con -, Int -, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Climb +14*, Hide +22, Jump +6*, Move Silently +10
Feats: Weapon Finesse(C), Improved Grapple
Environment: Any
Organization: Swarm (12-24) or Colony (12d10)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always evil
Advancement: 3–4 HD (Fine)
Level Adjustment: -

Combat

Trample (Ex): Crawling hands deal 1d4 piercing and slashing damage to any creature they are climbing each round. A crawling hand does not need to make a grapple check to climb up a creature at least two sizes larger than it.

Righty-Lefty (Ex): Crawling hands are very adept at grappling their opponents. A crawling hand may ignore its size modifier when executing a grapple check and gains Improved Grapple as a bonus feat. Additionally, if a right and left hand are both grappling a creature they give each other a +4 circumstance bonus to any grapple checks made against that creature..

Undead Immunities: Crawling hands are immune to all mid effecting effects, poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects. Additionally, they are not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damaging, or ability drain, or energy drain and are immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.

True Regeneration (Su): Crawling hands are not destroyed like normal undead. A crawling hand is not destroyed when its hit points drop to or below 0, instead the crawling hand becomes inactive until the beginning of its next turn when it is healed of all damage. However, if a crawling hand is dealt at least 5 points of bludgeoning damage it becomes dazed for one round. The only way to destroy a crawling hand is to submerse it while it is dazed in a powerful acid or other deadly substance such as lava or at least 3 flasks of holy water or if dealt at least 5 points of holy damage.

Skills: A crawling hand has a +8 racial bonus on all climb checks, can run while climbing, and may take 10 even while rushed or threatened. may use its dexterity modifier instead of its strength modifier for Jump and Climb checks.

RS14
2008-03-31, 11:25 AM
As 1HD undead, this should have BAB 0 and a -16 on grapple checks.

I have a really hard time seeing a fine creature dealing that much slashing or piercing damage. Remember, a fly is a fine creature. I would think a hand would be at least diminutive.

I also have a bit of trouble seeing this tripping or disarming anyone. Does it need to climb them to disarm them?

You have an asterisk after Jump. Why?

Other than that, it looks good.

AugustNights
2008-03-31, 12:29 PM
I like this monster's concept, especially as a familiar for a necromancer.

For a simple crawling hand it seems a little too powerful. True regeneration merits at least a CR 3 if not 5, Things that don't die and come back that can dish out damage every turn without trying to any creature of size small or larger. Thats a little more difficult than what a L.1 group of adventurer's can take on.

IMHO there should be about 2 versions, and personally I'd like to see a swarm of crawling hands, a simple animated crawling hand, and a paragon of crawling hands. This version is a good midpoint. But then again, this is just my opinion take from it what you like.

Also, a racial bonus to grappling is more than called for, Thing's ability to hold people down, and choke people (at least in the cartoon) was always amazing for just being a hand.

Lord Tataraus
2008-03-31, 02:21 PM
As 1HD undead, this should have BAB 0 and a -16 on grapple checks.

I have a really hard time seeing a fine creature dealing that much slashing or piercing damage. Remember, a fly is a fine creature. I would think a hand would be at least diminutive.

I also have a bit of trouble seeing this tripping or disarming anyone. Does it need to climb them to disarm them?

You have an asterisk after Jump. Why?

Other than that, it looks good.

Thanks for catching that stuff, the BAB and grapple was a copy/paste error. I had trouble figuring out what size a hand would be, I guess diminutive is best. Also, I might change that disarm/trip bonus to a grapple bonus and give synergy if a right and left hand grapple together.

watsyurname529
2008-03-31, 05:24 PM
Slight nitpick on the True Regeneration thing, I would allow Holy damage while it was dazed to kill it work as well. Or clarify that it takes say 2 flasks for enough water to submerge the hand.

Lord Tataraus
2008-03-31, 08:12 PM
Slight nitpick on the True Regeneration thing, I would allow Holy damage while it was dazed to kill it work as well. Or clarify that it takes say 2 flasks for enough water to submerge the hand.

That is a good point, I'll add that in.