PDA

View Full Version : Dire Wallabies

Wiggle
2008-03-31, 12:06 PM
Finding a sourcebook with references to Australian fauna are ridiculuously rare.

Anyone want to propose some stats for a Dire Wallaby?? Probably, 2 x feet claws, tail club (wouldn't think they would bite).

Kangaroos and wallabies would actually get a pretty good grapple check - if you see them fighting in the wild (as they do near my parents) the big 'roo lads hold each other with their flimsy paws, then kick seven bells out of each other's guts with their big kickers.

By the way Giant - gladiatorial isn't spelt gladitorial. (Neither is Rolex spelt Rollex if I'm being pedantic)

Raging Gene Ray
2008-03-31, 03:41 PM
I'm fairly certain that Dire Wallabies were only mentioned due to most cultures finding anything Australian inherently hilarious. This site had some sort of contest for new campaign settings, and the winner for funniest was an Australia-derived island called Laussie whose economy relied partially on a drink called Laga.

Don't take the dire wallabies seriously. They aren't meant to be. Like koalas, those Fosters commercials and the Crocodile Hunter.

FoE
2008-03-31, 07:54 PM
By the way Giant - gladiatorial isn't spelt gladitorial. (Neither is Rolex spelt Rollex if I'm being pedantic)

By the way, Wiggle, "ridiculously" isn't spelled "ridiculuously." And it's "spelled," not "spelt." :smalltongue:

Callista
2008-03-31, 07:58 PM
Don't see why we can't stat them out. We already know their approximate CR from the comic, and there are a lot of other Dire animals as examples.

Paragon Badger
2008-03-31, 09:28 PM
This site had some sort of contest for new campaign settings, and the winner for funniest was an Australia-derived island called Laussie whose economy relied partially on a drink called Laga.

I would gone for a more... british route.

DM: A constable arrives on the scene.
Player: Oh, Sir, We're so glad you came!
DM: The constable says, "OIT? WOTS ALL 'IS 'EN?"

Felixaar
2008-03-31, 09:37 PM
I'm fairly certain that Dire Wallabies were only mentioned due to most cultures finding anything Australian inherently hilarious. This site had some sort of contest for new campaign settings, and the winner for funniest was an Australia-derived island called Laussie whose economy relied partially on a drink called Laga.

Don't take the dire wallabies seriously. They aren't meant to be. Like koalas, those Fosters commercials and the Crocodile Hunter.

But both Koalas and the Crocodile Hunter ARE serious. Fosters is a joke, though.

Taliesan
2008-04-01, 04:15 AM
Face Of Evil

Spelt is valid.

tyckspoon
2008-04-01, 05:09 AM
But both Koalas

I know we didn't make them, but are you seriously claiming that one can look at a koala and see serious business? :smallannoyed: Next you'll be saying the platypus isn't a joke. I tell ya, today's youth....

Serpentine
2008-04-01, 06:30 AM
Finding a sourcebook with references to Australian fauna are ridiculuously rare.

Anyone want to propose some stats for a Dire Wallaby?? Probably, 2 x feet claws, tail club (wouldn't think they would bite).

Kangaroos and wallabies would actually get a pretty good grapple check - if you see them fighting in the wild (as they do near my parents) the big 'roo lads hold each other with their flimsy paws, then kick seven bells out of each other's guts with their big kickers.Two feet, sure. I think they could bite. Never heard of one hitting anyone with its tail, though - it's just for balance and movement, nothing else. I think you'd do well to look into the giant carnivorous kangaroo that was around here for a while. I think that would be a pretty good basis for a Dire Wallaby (though a dire kangaroo would be much scarier).

tyckspoon: Not a joke, something else (http://blogs4brownback.wordpress.com/2007/11/30/demonwatch-platypusses/)...

curtis
2008-04-01, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Raging Gene Ray

Or elves, goblins and eskimos.

Phase
2008-04-01, 06:47 AM
Dire Wallabie:
Str: 50
Con: 50
Dex: 50
Chr: 50
Int: 50
Wis: 50

Movement rate: 100

Awesomeness: Australia

Trazoi
2008-04-01, 06:49 AM
Wallabies are like the smaller, fuzzier, cuter cousins to kangaroos. As Serpentine wrote, I doubt they'd use their tails as a weapon (they're for balance), but they can kick and bite. Kangaroos are a lot tougher looking; their torso muscles look uncannily human, like their some weird form of centaur.

Apart from the kick, their front legs aren't that weak either. Kangaroos also often drown dogs that are harassing them. While kangaroos tend to hop away rather than attack, if a dog is too bloody minded in chasing them, they sometimes hop into the shallow water of a drinking hole, river of lake. If the dog is stupid enough to go after them, a kangaroo will grab it and hold it underwater until it drowns.

And while platypi are awesome, koalas are totally overrated. Miserable little furballs.