PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Swear-Words

Kaelaroth
2008-03-31, 12:49 PM
Hi everyone. I was wondering, is it an affront to the forum rules to use obvious replacement swear-words instead of actual swearing? For example, shouting "It fudging hurts!"?

I realise that it would obviously be taken as such if it was used in a flaming manner, or in an otherwise insulting way, but if it is just an expression of annoyance or pain (or use for emphasis) is it alright?

Thanks, and sorry if it sounds like a stupid question.

Ego Slayer
2008-03-31, 01:26 PM
I've never seen anyone caught for using "freaking" or "frickin'" etc, so... Heck, I do it all the time, and I've never even seen it brought up as an issue before. You're implying emphasis, but you're not exactly swearing...

While we're on the topic, since I was thinking about this earlier... why don't we have the old filter system (y'know, "spoon" and "wombat" and such)? It seems like that was much more tame than the current filter... I'd rather see a post with "wombat" than I would "****"... or do we not have that option, in a technical sense (which wouldn't make sense either). :smallconfused:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-03-31, 02:21 PM
While we're on the topic, since I was thinking about this earlier... why don't we have the old filter system (y'know, "spoon" and "wombat" and such)? It seems like that was much more tame than the current filter... I'd rather see a post with "wombat" than I would "****"... or do we not have that option, in a technical sense (which wouldn't make sense either). :smallconfused:

Agreed, and there is one(or multiple maybe?) with Wombat in the name even.

Sneak
2008-03-31, 02:22 PM
Yeah, that's actually what I thought this thread was about when I saw it. I wish we had the old one too. I loved it when people would say stuff like:

"I wombating hate this!"
"I'm tired of this spoon!"
"Stop being such an Dennis Leary!"

I was always amused that that word (an extension of the word 'ass') was translated into 'Dennis Leary.'

And then there was that whole mess with how the boards couldn't accept the word 'Nigeria.'

Ahh, well. It's not that important.

EDIT: And as for the original question...no, I don't think so. It's only bad if you use an $ instead of an S or something like that in order to bypass the censors.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-03-31, 02:26 PM
The old filter system sounds very amusing, even though it would be quite confusing at first ("Why did he write wombat in that sentence? That doesn't make any sense!"). I'd love to see it switched back to that, if it's possible.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-03-31, 02:33 PM
I recall it being mentioned that that's not an option on vBulletin. I do miss it, and occasionally manually filter my speech like that, but the mods can't implement it automatically with this wombating new-fangled software.

And I can't think of any conceivable reason why tame euphemism-swears wouldn't be tolerated. Unless the staff just wanted to be complete Dennis Learys.

Cybren
2008-03-31, 03:41 PM
filters are already ridiculously easy to bypass anyway, there's not much point to them.

Ego Slayer
2008-03-31, 05:56 PM
filters are already ridiculously easy to bypass anyway, there's not much point to them.
>.<;
No, there IS a point to them; not everyone is... unwise enough to bypass them.

Copacetic
2008-03-31, 06:10 PM
This thread has given me the idea to use "Wombating" As an adjective. Oh, and I suport the idea.

Reptilius
2008-03-31, 06:11 PM
Swear in poor Chinese. It worked for Joss Whedon. :smallsmile:

nerulean
2008-03-31, 07:24 PM
Although even he managed to steer clear of actually swearing in that bad Chinese. And frankly, it's far more entertaining to call something "stinking horse-urine" than use an actual curseword anyway.

Sneak
2008-03-31, 08:27 PM
Isn't there some swear word in Firefly that translates to "explosive diarrhea of an elephant?"

Castaras
2008-04-01, 03:01 AM
I used to always say "Chirp and tweet" instead of the more colourful swear words. <.<

I should really lower how much I swear...It's not that bad, but still pretty bad...

But that old word filter sounds awesome.

Malacandra
2008-04-01, 05:39 AM
Wait, what the Fark? There's a frellin' profanity filter? What count came up with that idea? Now I'm completely bugled. :smallfurious:

Above text is, in fact, completely as typed. :smallcool:

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-04-01, 09:03 AM
Swear in poor Chinese. It worked for Joss Whedon. :smallsmile:
I trust that's not intended as an actual recommendation... :smalleek:

Archonic Energy
2008-04-01, 09:17 AM
i'm a fan of Red Dwarf's "Smeg"

Charity
2008-04-01, 09:39 AM
Archie likes smeg...

what do you want from me? humour? tough ship sock clucker... I'm not really very keen on this sort of thing to be honest, it's not really any different actually swearing as we all kind of know what it's supposed to be... meh.

Haruki-kun
2008-04-01, 11:01 PM
I say "freakin'" all the time, and I don't think anyone would be told of for saying "gosh darn it!" or something like that.

I think it means more like.... writing swearwords in 1337speak or replacing an S for $ or something like that to fool the filter.

Kneenibble
2008-04-01, 11:09 PM
I vote we go the way of the Gargoyle and use "Jalapeno!" as an expletive, forum-wide.

Who's with me?

Roland St. Jude
2008-04-01, 11:15 PM
Please don't do any of it. Don't curse and let it be filtered. Don't filter it yourself. Don't evade the filter through clever boldings or the like. Don't swear Beetle Bailey style (@&(*#!). Don't say "fudge" to express "****" and so forth. Our rules prohibit profanity, masked profanity, and attempts to circumvent the filter to express profanities.

That said, occasional occurences in instances not directed at other posters probably doesn't catch anyone's attention. Just don't make a habit of it.