PDA

View Full Version : Can you give me a decent melee-divine (base or prestige) class?

meet shield
2008-03-31, 02:28 PM
Well that's the situation: my character is a melee Cg that had a cursed medallion of Nerull, that I can't wear off, and that bring me +4 to Str, Dex, Con and an equal bonus to Ac (deflection).But the amulet also force me to a saving throw on will once at hour and once for every combat round, or I lose the controll of myself and i start to attack every people i see while I pass a seguent throw.
During the avventure, I killed one of my compaigns, a cleric of St. Cuthbert, and when i was raised, I asked to him to kill me once and for all.
But then I arrived in some sort of black desert, not in the after-life, and there I met my two either personality (I am a fighter9 storm fighter6, the second one is a rogue based fighter LE and the third one is a barbarian CE)
and When they raised me (the other people in the group killed the cleric...) the other two personality come with me in the true world.
And now, after a little adventure I am in a jail of the evil general quarter whit my friends.
Now, in the next session, the Dm sad I will find my gear and then the other will fight a big cleric and a dragon during I fight my two bad personality.
Now.
I gained a new level.
My pc wasn't religious, but I think that is cool convert him in the jail the pantheon (I wanna become a follower of Pelor, Heironeus, Kord, Corellon Larethian and Valkar) and take a level in a divine ispiration class.

Can you tell me what do you think is best?
I think to Crusader or kensai, but I don't have enough initiator level for be usefull, and i will not have the time for meditate on my chosen weapon...

Yuki Akuma
2008-03-31, 02:43 PM
Cleric.

No, really. Cleric.

Kizara
2008-03-31, 02:54 PM
You are remaking you character from scratch?

Ethier cleric X or Paladin 2/Cleric X.

Artanis
2008-03-31, 03:09 PM
I'm not entirely sure if you're remaking the character from scratch. If so, a Cleric would be about as powerful as it gets, with Crusader also being pretty useful.

If you aren't remaking the character from scratch, but rather just adding one level of something, I honestly can't think of much that wouldn't entirely suck. A Cleric gets some neat level 1 spells, but at level 16, having one level of Cleric spellcasting is going to do almost nothing. With your other classes upping your Initiator level, a level of Crusader could probably to pick up some level 4 maneuvers (IIRC), which also wouldn't be particularly impressive at level 16, but at least it wouldn't be as far behind the curve.

Either way, taking that level is probably going to give more mechanical advantage than just another level of Fighter or something, but not by much. Odds are your character would pretty much "find religion" in almost entirely fluff terms.

dman11235
2008-03-31, 03:20 PM
You know, there is a reason it's called CoDzilla. Cleric or Druid-zilla. They do melee better than the fighter or barbarian and have full spells on top of it (typically they use their spells to do melee). Even works core only, but gets a lot worse with non-core added. Here's a crash course:

druid: take Natural Spell. Done.

Cleric: take extend, persist, and DMM persist, and then buy night sticks and persist divine power, divine favor, and any other buff you want. If you really want, you can also persist a Righteous Might (but being large all the time can be a hindrance). Lesser Vigor (or mass LV) is also a good one. Don't care about your BAB, since Divine Power makes it always full. And Touch of Healing and Augment Healing help you out.

LoneGamer
2008-03-31, 04:30 PM
Can someone translate this? All I could discern was a cursed amulet, multiple personalities, and death.

kamikasei
2008-03-31, 04:36 PM
Can someone translate this? All I could discern was a cursed amulet, multiple personalities, and death.

He is currently a "fighter9 storm fighter6".

He has a cursed amulet which boosts his stats in exchange for frenzied raging on a failed hourly will save.

He has two "evil selves" made real who he will battle soon.

He has a new level and wants to represent finding religion with it.

And Artanis is right, mid-build changes in class direction aren't likely to do much for you. Crusader is probably the option that'll do the least damage (edit: to his build \/).

Closet_Skeleton
2008-03-31, 06:02 PM
Crusader is probably the option that'll do the least damage.

To his build or to his enemies? You're not being clear here.

dspeyer
2008-04-01, 12:43 AM
As others have said, you don't need a divine class to be devout. In a typical DnD world, most characters are at least somewhat religious. A few ranks in knowledge(religion) and a habit of regular prayers may gain you friendlier interactions with clerics of that church (as well as principles to guide your decision making).

If you want a prestige class, there are a few that might be useful. Holy Liberator is basically Paladin of Freedom with the magic coming sooner, and it seems appropriate for someone who embraced religion in the dungeons of an evil tyrant. There's also straightforward Paladin, and I think some old sourcebooks have rules for being a paladin of a god, instead of an alignment. One other thing you might find helpful is Divine Crusader, which gets you powerful magic faster than anything else (1 spell level per class level) at the expense of versatility (your spells known are one domain). The downside of Divine Crusader is 3/4 BAB and d8 hit dice -- the same combat abilities as a cleric.

Other than that, most divine PrCs grant spells like your previous divine class, so you really want a level in cleric (or some other full caster) before you start taking them.

dman11235
2008-04-01, 08:59 AM
If you just want a PrC, then Pious Templar. Also, sdpeyer, Paladins can now be of any extreme alignment, or any alignment other than TN: UA paladin variants and Crusader respectively.

meet shield
2008-04-02, 10:11 AM
First of all, I'm sorry for my terrible english, but I wrote it really hustle...
And, at last, I voluntary wrote my name wrong as sort of warning for all the gentle people who will answer to my question.

secondly, now that I have more time, I explain the situation better.

1 I know I can be religious without have a divine class.
But from the role playing point of view, it's really better if I have some sort of divine resource for say something "I-will-destroy-the-shame-of-my-past!Your-blades-are-made-for-kill.The-blades-that-I-am-curring-now-are-made-for-protect.You-are-a-chosen-one-of-the-dark-god.I'm-a-follower-of-ALL-the-holy-Gods.You-cannot-win.Prepare-to-die!" style, can you understand?
Also, I know that take another level in my current prestige class will probably give me more benefits. But it's not so good for the role playing.

2I wanna some class good for the role playing, but not a totally suck! First level cleric? I mean...well...
The kensai really can be a good chose, but I don't have time for meditate...
Also, with a full-bab class, I will take an extra attack...

3I think crusader is the best chose, at last...can you give me an hand for the manouvres? I have initiator level 8...

Telonius
2008-04-02, 10:43 AM
Cleric. Really.

At first level, you will be an average of 1 hp behind the Fighter. You have access to the same armor as the Fighter. Your BAB is only one less. War domain gives you proficiency and weapon focus with the deity's favored weapon, so you're really not disadvantaged by the lower attack bonus. You can get the extra attack with Divine Power. The only thing you'll lack for being the party tank is the boatload of feats the Fighters get; and many of those effects can be achieved through spells.

There's a reason it's called CoDzilla. I say again: Cleric. Really.

Baron
2008-04-02, 11:06 AM
I'll second the cleric call.

Depending on the domains you pick for them, you'll get some nice snacky abilities. I quite luck for it's ability to roll again once a day and travel for the nice spells you get access to.

But there are others. As Telonius says War is a good one to get access to a martial weapon (with focus) without burning two feats.

The ability to heal yourself after/during battle is also nothing to be sniffed at either....

Cleric FTW! :smallwink:

Renegade Paladin
2008-04-02, 11:24 AM
I was going to comment on this thread, but the broken formatting makes doing so more effort than I care to go to. Could you please un-break it?

meet shield
2008-04-06, 05:53 AM
but if i am a fighter9 storm6 cleric1, first of all i lose one point of bba and then i don't take an extra attack (and i like extra attacks, i'm a full shots!)
Secondly, i take proficiency in heavy armor and with the war domain i also gain weapon focus and proficiency in one war-weapon... oh, wait, it sucks, 'cause i am a fighter, so I have proficiency in all the heavy armor and all the war-weapon. And if i don't lose bba, i have my bonus on attack rolls.
Also, i have wf for my weapons, so that is really useless.
I will have 1st level spell... what can i do with that? them require a standard action for cast! Why don't just charge, or use rapid attack?

Talic
2008-04-06, 06:12 AM
Only melee-divine class better than cleric?

Druid.

Really. You give up DMM for Beat you in the face with a huge bear paw.

Squash Monster
2008-04-06, 10:53 AM
Ruby Knight Vindicator.

It's the prestige class that advances Cleric casting and gives you maneuvers while giving you crazy melee powers by spending Turn Undead attempts. It's pretty much exactly what you want.

The Mormegil
2008-04-08, 08:49 AM
Ok, I'm the OP DM and I know he's not good at writing in English, so I'll post what he meant and add a few things he didn't write at all.

He is a TWF fighter. He uses the 3.0 Lords of the Wild "Storm" prestige class (we started the campaign without CAd and I don't want him to rebuild). He is a dedicated tank, he focuses on AC and multiple attacks with two bastard swords. He doesn't deal a large amount of damages, but his AC is far beyond most enemies' reach and he makes about 9 attacks per round. His party is composed by a Bard / Searcher of the Song that is completely useless in combat, but keeps the adventure going through Gather Info and such; a Rogue/Sorcerer/Daggerspell Wizard that blasts the hell out of enemies at (short but existent) range and a new PC they'll find in a cell (the old one got caught and is now in jail, thousands of km away, no hints on the new one).

Anyway, a few points worth noting:
1) THE PARTY ISN'T BROKEN ALREADY PLEASE KEEP IT AS SUCH.
2) HE ISN'T ALLOWED TO REBUILD HIS CHARACTER!!!
3) WE ARE NIGH AT THE ENDGAME, SO THIS IS THE LAST LEVEL HE'S GOING TO GET. We might continue later, but he needs to be full-operative in a pair of hours.

SO PLEASE STOP TALKING ABOUT CLERICS AND DRUIDS, ONE LEVEL ISN'T JUST WORTH IT!

As many said the Crusader is the best choice he has, though a little unhappy nontheless. He still gains Steely Resolve and Furious Counterstrike, though... Now, could you please answer his last question and help him a bit with the manoeuvres?

Thank you very much.