PDA

View Full Version : 4 domain questones

Gamerlord
2008-03-31, 02:48 PM
ok here are 4 domain questones...

what domains can thors clerics use?
what domains can the twelve gods clerics use?
what domains can the dark ones clerics use?
what domains can banjo's clerics use?

Shishnarfne
2008-03-31, 02:56 PM
First of all: Whatever Rich decides, that's what they can cast...

I don't think we've seen any of Durkon's Domains outside of what grants him "Thor's Lightning"... IIRC Air or a homebrew are the popular ones... Good is probably on the list.

I'm guessing that each of the Twelve Gods grants different domains, but we do see the High Priest cast "Hold Monster", a Law Domain spell (as he says).

For the Dark One, we can safely assume Evil is on the list, but Redcloak probably doesn't have it. There is good evidence that he has the Destruction Domain. There is some SoD evidence that he also has the Law Domain. He casts "Hold Monster" on the Manticore. (Spoilered for SoD content).

As Banjo has no worshipers capable of casting Divine spells, what domains he could grant is moot. (Though I would expect Chaos, perhaps Luck, perhaps Trickery...)

Also, check out the Class and Level Geekery Thread here (http://http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61354)... they've put together a decent idea on some of the Domains characters have and many other facts. speculative comments. (e.g. though Durkon's domains aren't explicitly listed, Redcloak's are...)

Chronos
2008-03-31, 03:35 PM
For starters, every god gives access to those domains which match the god's alignment. Banjo is certainly chaotic, and probably good (to match Elan), so at the bare minimum, he'd offer the Chaos and Good domains. Likewise, the Dark one is definitely evil and presumably lawful, so he'd offer Law and Evil.

Beyond that, it's anyone's guess. Most gods offer two or three domains beyond their alignment domains, based on what they're the god of. At a guess, I'd say that Thor probably has something thunder-y, like Air, Storm, or something homebrewed, and something martial, like Strength, War, or Destruction.

The best guess for Tsukiko's deity (on admittedly thin and circumstantial evidence) is Rat, and she probably has the Death domain (and possibly Travel).

The Hop Goblin
2008-03-31, 03:44 PM
If Rich takes Thor from the Deities and Demigods book from WoTC...

Alignment: Chaotic Good
Portfolio: Storms, Thunder, War
Worshipers: Barbarians, Fighters, Paladins, Rangers, Farmers and other commoners, dwarves, half-orcs.
Domains: Chaos, Good, Protection, Strength, War, Weather
Favored Weapon: Warhammer.

From D&D 3E - Deities & Demigods, page 192.

Morty
2008-03-31, 03:54 PM
If Rich takes Thor from the Deities and Demigods book from WoTC...

It's been mentioned few times that he doesn't.
As for domains, all we can know here is pure speculation. For all we know, both domains Durkon has taken might be 100% homebrewed. Depends if "Thor's Might" and "Thor's Lightning" are homebrewed spells, domain powers or core spells with different names. As for Twelve Gods, it's possible -not very possible, but still- that southern clerics worship the whole pantheon. Note how they're referred to as "clerics of Twelve Gods", while for example Durkon is cleric of Thor and the cleric in Small Town was a cleric of Freya.

Starbuck_II
2008-03-31, 04:24 PM
For starters, every god gives access to those domains which match the god's alignment. Banjo is certainly chaotic, and probably good (to match Elan), so at the bare minimum, he'd offer the Chaos and Good domains. Likewise, the Dark one is definitely evil and presumably lawful, so he'd offer Law and Evil.

The best guess for Tsukiko's deity (on admittedly thin and circumstantial evidence) is Rat, and she probably has the Death domain (and possibly Travel).

I'm not sure you know this but Clerics get to be within 1 step of an alignment: they don't have to equal the alignment!

So Banjo can be CN and Elan can be his Cleric.
Thor could be LG and our favorite dwarf can be LN (like he is) and stay a Cleric.

Chronos
2008-03-31, 05:28 PM
Yeah, that's why I said that Banjo is only probably good. But there is some debate about Thor's and Durkon's alignments. Most folks agree that Durkon is Lawful Good, but Thor, as seen in the comic, does seem to be chaotic. The simplest explanation is just that those rules don't apply too strongly in Rich's world.

Prowl
2008-03-31, 05:42 PM
Actually we have some pretty solid evidence that Redcloak doesn't have the Law domain. In the duel with the high priest of the Twelve Gods (HPotTG), the HPotTG casts Hold Monster and Redcloak says "Where'd you get that spell?" to which the HPotTG replies "Law domain".

edit: addressing the SoD issue:

The simplest explanation is that Hold Monster is diety-specific for the Dark One rather than a domain spell.

Pvednes
2008-03-31, 08:12 PM
I reckon Banjo has the Destruction domain.

Greg
2008-04-01, 05:28 AM
It's been mentioned few times that he doesn't.
As for domains, all we can know here is pure speculation. For all we know, both domains Durkon has taken might be 100% homebrewed. Depends if "Thor's Might" and "Thor's Lightning" are homebrewed spells, domain powers or core spells with different names. As for Twelve Gods, it's possible -not very possible, but still- that southern clerics worship the whole pantheon. Note how they're referred to as "clerics of Twelve Gods", while for example Durkon is cleric of Thor and the cleric in Small Town was a cleric of Freya.
Thor's Might sounds like Righteous Might (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/righteousMight.htm).

someonenonotyou
2008-04-01, 06:41 AM
banjo's domain is probley fricken awsomess:smallbiggrin:

Gamerlord
2008-04-01, 10:46 AM
no off topicness

hamishspence
2008-04-01, 12:53 PM
it wasn't clear whether Redcloak was surprised at another cleric having the same spell or domain as he had, or whether it was that he was getting it from the crimson mantle. simplest explanition is that Redcloak has Law domain.

Extra corroborating evidence of Evil domain- goblic cleric casting Unholy Blight on party, needs Evil domain to cast.

So, Dark one has Evil, Destruction, Law, Redcloak has Destruction, Law.

Can a deity have a domain not matching its alignment? (Law on a NE deity)
Yes, but it is VERY rare, only one example in core D&D of note: Maglubiyet, the NE goblin god has Chaos, Destruction, Evil, Trickery, with hobgoblins favouring Destruction but not Chaos, and goblins favouring Trickery but not Destruction. See MM, and Complete Divine. MM has goblins and goblins both worshipping him, but getting different domains, Complete Divine confirms that Maglubiyet offers all 4.

Penquin47
2008-04-01, 09:34 PM
I'm not sure you know this but Clerics get to be within 1 step of an alignment: they don't have to equal the alignment!

True. However, it seems likely that one matches the alignment of the person who elevates you to deityhood, doesn't it?

monty
2008-04-01, 09:34 PM

No, that's just his portfolio. He has Chaos, possibly Good, 1337, and Win domains.

Chronos
2008-04-01, 10:41 PM
Don't forget the coffee domain; he probably has that, too.

Prowl
2008-04-01, 11:27 PM
No, that's just his portfolio. He has Chaos, possibly Good, 1337, and Win domains.

The most powerful spell in the Win domain:

Blue Screen of Death

monty
2008-04-01, 11:33 PM
The most powerful spell in the Win domain:

Blue Screen of Death

I thought it was I Win, as the Pun-Pun ability.