WANTED!

Fighters for hire to deal with

brigands around the town of

R E D C A P

~ REWARD ~

Two Hundred Crowns

to each successful hireling

See Redcap Constable.

The town of Redcap has about 200 residents, and is situated along a road, neither major nor minor, somewhere in the middle of the Western Marches. It is situated among central plains and grasslands, just south of a great deal of fertile, arable farmland. As could be expected from this, Redcap exports food, imports everything else, and serves as a stopping point for every manner of person traveling to and from the kingdoms to the east, and the free cities further to the west, where mithril and elven ruins have become the foundation for civilization.

The main road of Redcap runs east to west through the center of town, and inns and stores line the packed-dirt thoroughfare. Off of this, sprout innumerable minor roads, leading back into the rest of the town. However, most travelers never see past the main road, for they have neither need nor inclination to. The shops and inns cater to everything a traveler passing through could want. Food, rest, washing, women, supplies, everything.
Like every town in the marches, Redcap is built mostly out of wood, and hardly any stone plaster or paint can be found in it. Bare and weathered wood houses with either thatch or wooden roofs make up the town, with one stone temple of Toh nestled between a tavern and the town's brothel.

~

It was a few days ago, in another town along the route upon which Redcap sits, when you saw the poster. It was nailed up near the center of town, perhaps to the constable's outside wall, perhaps to the front of a shop. It was nailed up by a tired looking messenger who rode in on a tired looking horse, and then he read it aloud for anyone nearby to hear, before disappearing into a nearby Inn.

That was a few days ago, today, you arrive in Redcap.

The Boyce
2008-03-31, 06:59 PM
If you were looking west on the road through redcap you'd probably thought your eyes were playing tricks on you, for tiny flashes of light kept blinking in and out of existence. Not only that, but they seemed to be drawing closer.

Indeed they were as the flashes were the light just the sun reflecting off Murdoc Hillstomper, or rather his armor. He wore his scale nail over his clothing and he kept it well polished. This was in stark contrast to his clothing which was as dirty as you might expect from someone wandering the wastes. From his belt hung a sword that would give most men trouble to wield but Murdoc's size enabled him to use it with ease. Speaking of which Murdoc is quite large by most human standards, standing at six and a half feet towers over most men. He has a harsh gaze in his blue eyes, which tends to scare people.

Murdoc strode into town, his eyes roving seeking out information. He strode towards the middle of town wondering where to find the constable.

Snowfall
2008-04-01, 12:22 AM
On a small hill outside of Redcap, two figures stand in the dust. The taller one, a dark-skinned man dressed in sun-bleached leather armor, is twirling a dagger through his fingers while looking pensively at the town below. This goes on for several minutes until the shorter figure lets out a bark, slight but pleading.

Claw sheaths his dagger and turns to Ghost, patting the dog's big head. Reaching around back, Claw rummages around in his pack for a moment, finally pulling out a smooth leather collar which he places around Ghost's neck. Closer inspection of the collar would reveal words in Rouisi, carefully etched around it's length: "Mostly civilized".

With the collar in place, Ghost starts walking into town with Claw only a few steps behind.

Selv
2008-04-01, 04:45 AM
A motley collection of wagons wends its way into town. Most are modified farm carts, carrying families west. Some are the high sprung-wheel carriages more common in towns. At the head and rear of the column are open carts, in which sit a group of men, unshaved and holding crossbows. With the caravan pulling into town, they relax and start chatting idly.

As the group pulls to a halt, people hurry out to Redcap's shops and taverns. One of the guards talks to a well-dressed man with a pocket watch, who counts out a few gold crowns. Something in the bustle distracts the payer and the guard, unsure whether he's taken his leave, waits a few seconds, nods uncertainly and walks off.

When he gets to the shade of the street's edge, the man drops his canvas bag to the ground and looks out into the street. He scans from left to right, looking out for the constable's office. Spotting it, he reshoulders the bag and sets off with the measured stride of someone used to marching.

Penn is momentarily blinded when he steps from the sun-bleached street through the dark doorway of the Redcap Constabulary.

Sicarius
2008-04-01, 11:20 PM
Rina

Quite out of place amongst the hustle and bustle of Redcap was a woman. That isn't to say women were out of place anywhere, even in this town. But, there was something off. Standing tall and thin, with a bejeweled fencer's sword at her hip, her poise gave off every appearance of a noble. Yet one look at her choice of garb, a set of well-cared for leathers and a sturdy set of traveler's clothes, meant something completely different.

Dark-haired with a piercing stare, she moved without hurry, as if nothing was necessary for her. She read the poster carefully, eyes boring through it as if to weaken the wall it was posted to, before she gave off a rather impassioned comment directed to no one in particular. "How unimaginably dull..." However, they could have been hassling green scholars trying to dig up elven ruins without the proper sense to know which end of the sword to stick into an enemy. But showing up looking for blood was so drole. If there were people ready to do this, they would ask around before leaving, and that's when she could approach them. Showing up looking to get paid for blood was certainly unladylike, for whatever that meant.

jagadaishio
2008-04-02, 03:36 AM
Elia

The lone figure of a young girl walks slowly into town, stumbling every few dozen steps. She wears only basic travel clothes, but carries a large bag which clearly weight heavily on her. The first water pump or well she sees in the town she half-sprints, half-stumbles towards, brining up enough water for a few mouthfuls as quickly as possible.

Elia had underestimated the amount of time that it would take to reach the town, something which she only became all too aware of last night, when she expected to arrive. Because of the miscalculation, she rationed out her water incorrectly and ran out nearly twelve hours ago. She had been walking under the hot sun for a few hours now without anything to drink.

After refreshing herself with the water as best she can, she straightens back up, brushes herself off, and adjusts her clothes and bag, both of which had become disheveled and lopsided from the careless stumbling gait which she had been using. I can chastise myself about my miscalculation later.

Elia then looks around the main street just long enough to find the constable's office, which she enters hoping that there is still at least one spot left open for her to earn some money. Books useful to her tend not to be cheap, after all.

Townopolis
2008-04-02, 07:06 PM
The main street of Redcap is taking care of business lazily, as if affected by lethargy like a farmhand who wakes mid-day. Shopkeepers sit in front of their shops and watch what little activity there is, a few men carry goods into a store, and an eager innkeeper comes out to greet the men and women from the wagon train that has just rolled into town.

The constable's office is found somewhere near the middle of the street. It is a simple wooden building like the rest, and has a shingle hung up front like any other shop, but the picture on the shingle, a stylized shield in blue, identifies the building for what it is. There are few people in the street, and none around that building until a young man enters, and shortly after him a lady, as strange as it seems.

Otherwise, travelers are uninterested in that office, preferring to avoid any contact with it for reasons which are assuredly varied. Rather, they disperse themselves among the locals in one of the three taverns, ranging from dive, to 'classy,' or two inns along the street, or in the simple cool of one of the many shops.

Inside the office

The office is dark and cool, in contrast to the street outside, and it takes a moment for your eyes to adjust, time which is taken by the hobgoblin watchman reclining in a chair to stand up and walk around his desk to greet you. The office is sparsely furnished. Two benches flank the door, and a desk bisects the room. Behind the desk, a pair of large chests sit on the floor, and a weapons rack above them. In the back left corner of the room, a door leads deeper into the building. Two windows bring light into the room from the main street, but they are small.

The hobgoblin wears loose clothing and a leather jerkin, a longsword hanging at his side. With his arms akimbo, he regards the two people who have entered. After a short pause, he nods to the man.

"Take a seat, will you?" He then turns his attention to the lady and smiles a toothy smile.

"Morning, miss, what can the con-stab-u-lary do for you today?"

The Boyce
2008-04-02, 08:02 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

It doesn't take Murdoc a long time to stroll down the street. His eyes darting about looking for the constabulary. He sees it not too long after the first two applicants had entered, but he didn't see them enter. The Hillstomper grinned when he saw the sign and strode toward the attached bulding.

Murdoc opened the door and walked in he blinked several times as his eyes adjusted to the darkness. He sees first the well dressed man and raises an eyebrow, his eyes then shift to the figure of the girl, which he considers for a moment before continuing to look about the room. He sees the hobgoblin and his eyes narrow, but only briefly. He takes a few more steps forward and stands at his full height, his hand resting on the guard of his sword.

Snowfall
2008-04-02, 08:44 PM
Claw and Ghost

Coming to the edge of town, Claw spots the metal-clad man striding ahead. The sight makes him pause for a moment, surprised, but then he trots ahead to catch up with Ghost, who stops walking to look up at him inquisitively. Claw places his hand on Ghost's head, and the two wait until they can see which building the man enters. They follow after.

Three steps from the door, Claw stops and considers the building. The pensive look returns to his face as he realizes that the metal-man's path has intertwined with his own. Claw has spent enough time in towns throughout the Western Marches now to know that not all metal-men have much to do with his people, but he still hesitates outside the door. "Fate casts a long shadow." he reminds himself, "if you let her walk too far ahead."

Turning to Ghost he says, "Bai tho, dost"*. The hound responds by setting his back to the building's wall and sitting back on his haunches.

Claw then follows fate through the door.

*Nobb "Wait here, brother"

jagadaishio
2008-04-02, 11:00 PM
Elia

"I'm hear looking for a job," says Elia glancing around the room. "I saw a poster saying that you might need some help a few days ago. I could really use the two-hundred crowns. Mind if I sit down too?"

Elia predicts that she will initially be refused such a dangerous job. She can talk most people into almost anything, though. And she could really use the money.

Selv
2008-04-03, 03:50 AM
Penn

Penn sits down, holding his brad-brimed hat in his hands. "Uh, that's why I'm here too, Constable."

He certainly hadn't expected the other applicants to be stick-thin girls with educated accents. But then, it's the marches. If not here, where? Although the next two people to enter the room were closer to what he'd expected, both were pretty remarkable. One seemed to be a human dressed in Nobb garb, and the other looked like an imposing statue made by a militarist in a bad mood. COme to think of it, the armoured man looked like his mood wasn't too bright itself. He's here to complain or something, maybe. But he seems like he doesn't know the constable, so maybe he's not from Redcap.

"Perhaps I think we all are here for that."

Snowfall
2008-04-03, 09:01 AM
Claw

Upon entering, Claw looks around the room his eyes taking in all the people, and exits. He stands to the side of the door, away from the others, and listens as the man and woman talk, his intuition telling him nothing except that they carry very big bags and that the woman speaks... funny, like no one he has ever heard.

But when the man mentions that they're all there for the same job, he nods his head and pulls a scroll of paper out his pack, unfurling it to show the constable the wanted sign. For some reason, the messenger who had nailed it up in that town hadn't been too happy with Claw taking the paper, but a growl from Ghost had encouraged him to call it a night.

The Boyce
2008-04-03, 11:35 AM
Murdoc Hillstomper

The exiled Hillstomper raised his eyebrow yet again, but this time at the man coming in behind him. But he turned his attention back to the matter that brought him here when the man spoke.

"Yes. That's why I'm here. And it looks like that's why he's here too." Murdoc said in a neutral voice, nodding at the newcomer and his sign.

Sicarius
2008-04-03, 12:35 PM
Rina

Four people in that constable's office now. Rina watched from her perch across the street. Four well-equipped people. That was enough, certainly. The crowns weren't important, but if these people were competent, then she could use them to investigate ruins.

Nonchalantly, she also walked into the constable's office. She said not a word, she just sat down wherever she could, appearing to patiently observe the surroundings.

Townopolis
2008-04-05, 03:00 PM
When Elia stated her intention to chase brigands down, the hobgoblin appeared just a little taken aback, and opened his mouth to speak but was cut off by the others as each one declared the same intention. The hobgoblin stopped and took it all in, then briskly strode to the back door and slammed his fist on it once then yelled "Mercenaries!" as if to someone on the other side.

Turning back to the five others in the room, the hob looked at each in turn; curiously at Rina, blankly at Penn, and with a look of ambivalence at Claw. He caught the slight hostility coming from Murdoc, and returned it with a slightly arched brow, then turned again to Elia.

"Miss, I can't let you go chasing after the Black Dogs. You wouldn't last a day out on the trail, and if you did, I know how you'd end up. I can't let that happen. If you really need work... If you... I'm sure someone here'd be glad to have a cultured lady to help them, perhaps as a clerk? Or one of our estab-lish-ment owners might hire you as a tutor, there's a real lack in ed-u-cation out this far..."

The hobgoblin trailed off as the back door opened, briefly revealing another room behind it, and letting a sternly dressed man out and into your room, at this point, the front office of the constabulary is getting rather crowded. The newcomer wears black britches, a shirt that was once white but has now been permanently altered by wear and lack of proper washing, and a tight leather jerkin keeping everything snug. From his leather belt, a sword hangs in its sheath, and a dagger in its frog. He stomps in as if he owns the place and takes a seat in the chair the hobgoblin had originally occupied and propped both booted feet on the desk.

"So... you folks all came here for the bounty, right?" The man spoke from beneath a drooping, iron gray mustache. "Well I'm constable Fallsey. I guess this makes me your new employer, eh?"

Fallsey chuckled at this as if it were quite humorous for him to be employing anyone, then stopped himself and turned serious.

"Redcap's recently been hit hard by a bunch of no-good scoundrels call themselves the Black Dog Boys. A bunch of brigands blown in from all the places they got themselves kicked. Well now they're here and they're ruining us. Caravans can't get in or out without a heavy armed guard, and worse, the outlying... heck, all the farms are being hit by their raids." As he speaks, Fallsey's excitement increases, until he swings his feet off the desk and gets up to pace in what little free space is left. "Now, we could just hire guards for the wagons and the farms, and sure it'd be cheaper for a week than you folks, but after that... which is why I want this Black Dog business resolved, that's why I'm here to hire... folks like you. Deal with the Black Dogs, hunt them down and bring me their cold bodies... Lirg will fill you in on what we know." Fallsey finished and sized up his mercenaries with a critical expression, all until he looked straight at Elia.

"The hell're YOU doing here?"

Fallsey stomped back to sit behind the desk, and busied himself with looking over what papers he could find there. In the meantime, the hobgoblin, who had sunk into a corner of the room and faded into the wall came back out and cleared his throat.

"The Black Dog Boys have about 10 members, we never get an exact count of their strength, but it seems to be around that. We believe they're encamped to the north, beyond the farms... They're all armed of course... You shouldn't have any trouble spotting them when you find them, they're all clad in black leathers and aren't uncomfortable declaring themselves. They don't come into town, but where they do go they're doing their best to own the place. If you want a place to start, I'd try the northwestern edge of the farmlands, the eastern farms are still recovering, so the west'll be where they strike next." The hob pauses and takes a breath, then sits back on the edge of the desk. "So... any questions?"

Selv
2008-04-05, 03:52 PM
Penn glanced sideways at Elia, wondering how she'd react to this dismissive attitude. He'd grown up in a guerilla war and was under no illusions about "the weaker sex", but even he'd paused at the teen's seeming frailty. He kept quiet for a moment.

Sicarius
2008-04-05, 04:12 PM
Rina

Rina kept her mouth shut, but there's a look of utter contempt on her face toward the hobgoblin and constable. If looks could kill, she would've slain the entire room, but that wasn't the case. Instead, she was just a hawk-nosed, thin-limbed woman staring holes into their heads.

It was funny why she wasn't considered weak and inferior as well. Maybe it was her bearing and poise. Maybe they didn't connect the dots to realize she was there as well. But something must've tipped them off that she was either scarier or equipped enough to handle the hunt for blood.

The Boyce
2008-04-05, 05:00 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc considered the information he had just been given as well as what he could garner about those around him from their dress. Then he decided to ask some questions. He didn't address the hobgoblin, rather he let his questions hang in the air.

"Has anyone tried this before, or are we the first ones brave enough to risk our necks? Well I suppose it doesn't matter since I doubt there'd be any survivors. So tell me, what do they do when they attack a caravan? Do they have a known leader? Would you prefer they be captured or dead? Also there are five of us, so that's 1000 crowns total right?"

Murdoc had other questions, but he'd let the hob answer him first.

jagadaishio
2008-04-05, 11:50 PM
Elia

"I assure you that I am more than competent enough to handle some brigands. I'm one of those scary people who can do unexpectedly brutal things despite a harmless appearance," she says, a slightly dismissive smirk on her face. Glaring slightly at the hobgoblin for his statement, and slightly less at the constable for his, she continues bysaying, "While being a tutor would doubtlessly do this town just as much good as removing these predators shall, I would likely be paid the same 200 crowns for a much longer of a job in a locale that I would rather not live in. Now, I rather agree with this man's question," says Elia, jabbing her thumb towards the armored man, "about our payment. Do we get 200 crowns apiece if we accept this job or will we be forced to split 200 crowns between those that accept?"

She has had people dismissing her as incompetent as an adventurer for her entire life. She's used to it and treats the situation with an almost dismissive casualty. Elia clearly won't take no for an answer, and what if she's being honest about being a dangerous person in a young girl's body?

Townopolis
2008-04-07, 04:51 PM
The hobgoblin was visibly taken aback by Elia's word, Hallsey barely looked up and snorted.

The hobgoblin Lirg stood silent for a moment, as he gazed over Elia again, seeming to reevaluate her, then muttered something in Nobb "Vkogde..." and looked away. After scratching himself around the scruff on his chin, he turned back to the group, speaking again in Rouisi.

"Yes, that's 1,000 crowns total as long as you're all alive when you come back. Just bring the Black Dogs back dead or alive and the money is yours... Less if you cause you're own mayhem, hear? Right, now... Raids on caravans and farms are quick. They come in far from the town, hit them from both sides on the road. Caravans usually try to run and they just can't move fast 'nuff, and too far from us or any other town for aid. Caravan splits up, they go for the biggest carts, that's how reports reach us... Farms they just ride in from one direction, always a different one though, and loot the place." Lirg pauses and lowers his eyes here, taking a moment of silence before continuing.

"You're the first to answer the call. Just bring 'em in. Oh, and no, we don't know who's leadin' them."

Nobb
"Crow..."
'Crow' and 'Vulture' are both terms used by native hobgoblins to describe easterners who come to establish dominion in the marches, specifically surrounding the elven ruins and mithril mines. Both terms refer to the bird's method of flying in and picking someone else's kill of food. 'Vulture' usually refers to strong-arm military types, whereas 'Crow' is usually used for upper class entrepreneur types and and carries a connotation of ruthless craftiness.

The Boyce
2008-04-07, 05:49 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc's eyes became narrow as the girl spoke, but he just grunted. He believed her to be acting tough, he wouldn't be surprised if she became useless in battle. He didn't think the richy would be much help either. The other two looked like they might be of some use, if for nothing more than distractions.

"So where can I, or I guess we, find some survivors? I have the feeling they'll be able to tell us more than you can."

jagadaishio
2008-04-07, 07:08 PM
Elia

Elia narrows her eyes at the insult, but otherwise ignores it. Her eyes swept the other people there, taking them in for the first time. The other girl looked like she may be well educated, always a boon in a companion. She expected Claw to be someone very familiar with the wild, a trait useful in a companion. Beyond that, there was the man with the eyes of a soldier and a man who is, himself, a rather nice shield of shining metal. She would have to interact more with these people before she would draw any more conclusions about any of them.

Sicarius
2008-04-07, 11:09 PM
Rina

"Where and when did the last attack take place?" Rina's eyes noticeably narrowed, as if now she was paying attention.

Selv
2008-04-08, 05:08 PM
Penn

Penn stays silent, in the attentive posture of the lowly-ranked. Not that this was the typical militia... far from it. The girl certainly had willing, though Penn found he had a growing sense of unease. I'm a level-head guy, not like my old baba telling stories about Ygva-in-the-wood.

Not that the older woman was any less unsettling. She dressed like an Eastern (or, as Penn still thought of native Rousi speakers, Southern) aristocrat which would make sense if she weren't sitting in the middle of a dusty frontier constabulary.

By my count, between three and five people in here think they're in charge. The countess and the tinman will be knocking heads over it before we're out of here, if I'm a judge.

And what about the man in the back, dressed like a wilder hobgoblin but clearly human. Reminds me of the missionaries who go native- but this man's no preacher that I can tell, not an integrationist. What on earth is his story?

Snowfall
2008-04-08, 05:25 PM
Claw

Claw rolled up the wanted notice and stuffed it back in his pack. Upon hearing Lirg calling Elia 'crow', he quickly turned his attention to the girl to see her reaction. Claw knew that crow spirits were thieves by nature, in the sense that they knew how to recognize what was valuable and draw it to themselves. They were also incredibly intelligent and perceptive, and so Claw took Elia as a sign that he needed to pay careful attention, something significant was beginning... well, at least if Lirg's assessment of the girl had been correct.

He decided for the moment to keep his mouth shut, waiting to see what questions this potential set of companions would ask and what it would show about them.

Townopolis
2008-04-09, 04:20 PM
Lirg nodded quickly to both the questions. "The last attack was two days ago, at the Wingol farm..."

"You'll find the Wingols at home, ask around the northeast farms, you'll find them. Most farm folk'll be at their homes too, so you can just go door to door thereabouts if that catches your fancy. Caravaneers, now they'll be in the Shining Star." Hallsey interrupts his deputy from behind the desk, spouting out the information with the tone of a man dispensing with duty. Lirg picks up again after him.

"You'll find the Shining Star near the eastern edge of town on the main road, big tavern on a corner, hitching rail all around."

The Boyce
2008-04-10, 12:28 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

"How long do they usually wait between attacks? And could we borrow some of your bows?" Murdoc now directed his questions at the constable, trying to ignore the hobgoblin.

Snowfall
2008-04-10, 09:39 PM
Claw

Never one to stay in one place for long, Claw finally spoke, his statement sounding like a punctuation mark "The Shining Star." He then turned to walk out the door, pausing in the doorway to question the others, "You will all come?"

He then walked out the door, calling to Ghost to come with him. The two walked east towards the tavern, though their pace was exaggeratedly slow.

Sicarius
2008-04-11, 12:22 AM
Rina

"Hmm. I suppose someone hasn't learned the virtue of patience." She eyes the departing wild-man with the same vacant look she had been giving everyone. She also is surprised that the walking iron wall hadn't thought to bring a bow with him. After all, it was a bow. It was infinitely useful. But still, she didn't speak up, waiting instead to see if this fool was going to cut into her pay by potentially breaking the constable's cheap equipment.

jagadaishio
2008-04-12, 01:43 PM
Elia

"I'll head after him," says Elia, gesturing after Claw as he leaves. "I'll make sure we wait at the tavern for you guys to catch up."

Elia then runs after Claw, hoping to catch up to him on the way to the tavern. If she does, she asks him, "Which languages do you speak?"

Snowfall
2008-04-12, 08:41 PM
Claw and Ghost

Claw turns when he sees Elia coming out the door towards him. He keeps walking but answers her question in Rouisi, "I am Big Bear's Claw, I speak like the People." But then he smiles suddenly, almost bashfully, "But I also speak like you." Pointing to Ghost he introduces the dog, "This is Big Bear's Ghost, he speaks only Nobb."

"You are the one the men do not value." He stops and turns to face Elia, touching his heart, "If you are the crow spirit, I am happy to walk with you. If you are not, I think I still am happy to walk with you."

Townopolis
2008-04-12, 09:59 PM
The Constabulary

Lirg looks to Fallsey, who is once again ignoring you, before answering.

"They're erratic, but we've been taking about two raids each week lately."

Outside

The streets are even emptier than when you first entered. All the business that was being taken care of in the morning is concluding, one last cart is packing up and wheeling back towards its home. The sun is rising further, and it is starting to warm up, and many of the shopkeepers have retired to the cool of their establishments.

The Shining star is about halfway between the constabulary and the edge of town, but is easy to spot. The hitching rail surrounds it on two sides as it sits on a street corner, and there is a shingle nailed above the door with a silver five-pointed star painted on it. The building itself is a single story of unpainted wood with a shingle roof and only a few small windows. A fair number of horses and carts wait outside, and the sound of music wafts from within.

The Shining Star

Inside the tavern is dimly lit with light from the outside. There is a large fireplace in the back, but it lies dormant. The front room is large and square and scattered with round and square tables. In the back a bar covers left half of the wall and a door behind it leads, presumably, to the kitchens. In the back right corner, a staircase leads down.

A dozen or so men and women populate the bar, most of them gathered at the bar nursing drinks, but a group of four are gathered at one table where a man in a black leather vest and white sleeves is playing his instrument. He plays an old tune that you recognize, a favorite among people in the marches for its catchy melody.

As you enter, half the patrons look to see who has just come in, and half of those may give the pair of a wild man and a lady a dirty look, but just as soon they all return their attention back to their drinks.

jagadaishio
2008-04-12, 11:24 PM
Elia

"It's nice to meet you, Big Bear's Claw," says Elia, smiling. "And the reason that they do not value me is because of appearance. Things are, of course, rarely how they appear."

She then leans over slightly to look at Ghost and says in Nobb:
"It's nice to meet you as well, Big Bear's Ghost."

Standing straight again, Elia continues in Rouisi, "We should wait for the others when we reach the tavern. It would be bad to get too far ahead of them while they are still just preparing preparing."

Selv
2008-04-13, 05:51 AM
Penn (at Constabulary)

The merry-go-round of ignored questions and tell-your-friend comments was making Penn's head spin. It was at least clear to him that the Constable wouldn't be giving any advances on their wage. He wished he'd stepped out with the other two: attitudes towards women in the company of seemingly native men varied.

"I suggest we gather us at the Shining Star and ask if they have a backroom, for planning. But there is a question I have. Are the boys just thieves, or killers also?"

Snowfall
2008-04-13, 11:32 AM
Claw and Ghost

Claw told Ghost to wait outside again, people in these human settlements always seemed aggravated when Ghost went into their walled spaces. Claw agreed with Elia's suggestion, but added "With two voices, we are curious, with five, we are dangerous. We will be curious first, dangerous second." His voice made the last part sound like a statement, but his eyes added a silent question mark.

Once they entered the tavern, he gestured over to the bar, "I do not drink the storm water, but if you like, I will sit with you."

jagadaishio
2008-04-13, 03:04 PM
Elia

"I would rather not drink either," says Elia, looking around at the stares that they're getting. "But yes, we do seem to be quite the curiosity to these people. Let's ask the bartender who of the patrons the caravaneers are."

She then walks to the bar and asks, fairly certain that she still has the bartenders attention, "Do you know which of the patrons will be part of the next outgoing caravan? We've been hired by the constabulary as guards."

And bounty hunters, she things to herself.

The Boyce
2008-04-13, 09:00 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc regarded both the answer and his hasty companions with a growl. He looked at the richy with a raised brow. Then he gave a reply before the hob could:

"It doesn't matter if they're killers or thieves there are more of them then us so they won't come quiet. If you hold back during the fight then some of us will die, and it damn sure won't be me."

Murdoc pasued to consider the door before growling again, "We might as well get going before the girl gets laughed out of the tavern." He then strode over to and out of the door.

Sicarius
2008-04-13, 09:55 PM
Rina

"This bores me to tears." She replies flatly. "We should be interviewing the people from the farm, and trying to track them from their last attack." But seeing as three of the five had left, there was little point in arguing.

Rina strides out and leisurely makes her way to the tavern.

Townopolis
2008-04-14, 07:43 PM
The Shining Star

A handful of patrons take notice of Elia's question, glancing up from their drinks and eying her questioningly. The Bartender has come over as the pair approach the bar, and is busily drying mugs as he speaks.

"Next caravan? Not sure what you're talking about. We han't been in trade for the past few days, after what happened to the last ones. Constable hired you on as guards you say?" He eyes Elia, then turns to look at claw, giving him a much more dubious look. "I heard Fallsey was looking to hire bounty hunters, not guards." He shrugs. "But 'ey, What Fallsey does is his business and I hope none of mine. Anyone here's a caravaneer, 'cept fer the troupey, but I don't think anyone's keen to set out anytime soon."

The door swings open again as the others arrive, and again the patrons look over to see who it is for a moment before returning to their drinks.

One man sitting near Elia and Claw at the bar has listened in on their question and the bartender's response. He is not the cleanest man, and his graying hair is coarse and hangs down to the base of his neck. He chews his lip a bit, smoothing the stubble around his mouth, then speaks.

"I'm a trader, miss. Not sure what you're trying to sell, but nobody's gonna to be fool enough to try to get past the dogs. They spot anyone trying to move cargo, and unless it's got a heavy guard on it, it's theirs. Lost my wagon trying to move goods here, nobody's going to risk that kind of sure bad thing... and this town's got nothing worth hiring guards for."

Selv
2008-04-15, 12:07 PM
Penn

So I might not be hunting killers, but it looks like I'm working with at least one. I hope the other two are easier to get along with.

On the walk between the two points, he tries to introduce himself to the others. The name is Penn, by the way. Pleased to meet you. He tips his hat to Rina, and then Murdoc, in the slightly old-fashioned way still usual among people from his country.

(at the Shining Star)
Penn tries to enter a step behind the other two. Seeing Elia in conversation, Penn goes to the bar and sits on a stool without acknowledging them, hoping to listen in on the conversation without announcing himself just yet. After all, between Duchesses, wild-men, lady scholars and a man in armour a head taller than the crowd, who'd notice me?

Townopolis
2008-04-16, 08:17 PM
The bartender leaves Elia to meet with Penn, tucking the mug under the bar on his way over and flipping his towel over his shoulder.

"Greetings, friend, anything I can get you?"

The old trader sitting next to Elia scratches absentmindedly at his cheek with a sound like a scrub brush being pushed across a floor. He picks up his drink from the bar and takes a swig, sloshing the ale around his mouth before swallowing and smacking his lips.

"So tell me, what is it you're after? Looking for a safe way out of town or something?"

jagadaishio
2008-04-16, 10:20 PM
Elia

After listening to the explanation of how the caravan industry is effectively dead within the town, Elia thinks to herself, Well, without a caravan to use as bait, we may have a harder time of tracking them down.

"When the bandits attack, how brutal are they, and do they take the wagons and draft animals along with whatever cargo they're carrying?" Elia asks, deciding to just glean useful information since it appeared that her first plan wouldn't be working.

We could get a covered wagon and pretend to be carrying cargo, only to reveal warriors inside. Or we could try to find out where they camp and storm them at night. If they rely on theft, they must sell their goods somewhere. Perhaps we could pretend to be a group of fences for stolen goods and infiltrate them. There are always other options, she thinks to herself, brow just slightly furrowed in thought.

Sicarius
2008-04-16, 10:51 PM
Rina

Rina scowls at everyone. This was wasting time. Their best bet was to track them down and cut them down in their sleep, not let themselves be ambushed in the process. She sits down wherever there is a free seat and idly observes them until something more interesting happened.

The Boyce
2008-04-16, 11:54 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc looked around the tavern and grunts in slight approval. Seeing his presumed companions engaged at the bar Murdoc decides to ask questions of the other group. He waits for the music to wind down before approaching, then he says "Good day" to the assembled.

Selv
2008-04-17, 03:05 AM
Penn
"Sun's still up, so I'll have a sarsaparilla."

Penn orders a bitter drink, popular among teetotalers. He considers starting a line of questioning of his own, but decides against it when the others are already doing so within earshot. He starts sorting through the tiny coins in his pocket to pay the barman.

Snowfall
2008-04-18, 02:59 PM
Claw

Claw turns towards Penn, "Sarsaparilla? Does this sun drink make your head burn too?" Assessing Penn momentarily he adds, "I am Big Bear's Claw. You are the one that is observant. I greet you." Claw places his hands on Penn's shoulders and then pulls him into an embrace. He whispers a request into his ear as he does so, "Who observes the hunters?"

He turns back to the trader and the bartender, announcing, "We hunt the black pack."

Selv
2008-04-19, 04:50 AM
Penn
Er, well, is just still morning so... When Penn hears Claw's whisper and connects it up with the word observant, he nods as slightly as possible.

So, I'm not the only one worried about the colossus here.

Townopolis
2008-04-19, 01:07 PM
At the Bar

"That it is." The bartender duly replies to Penn as he pours him a mug of dark liquid from one of the many barrels stacked behind him and sets it down on the bar.

The trader's eyes darken at Elia's question, and he pauses before answering. "They took my wagon, for sure... I hear at first people were a bit luckier, then the bandits got smart, now they cart your stuff away on your own horses..." He takes another sip of his drink before continuing. "If they're brutal they're not thorough 'bout it... Still, they deserve whatever trouble they can get."

The bartender, and a few people at the bar, take notice of Claw's declaration, and they all give the savage-looking man a funny look. The bartender seems to shrug it off and responds to an order further down the bar. The trader has also noticed and leans over the bar to get a good look at Claw.

"So, you're the town's bounty-hunters ah? That explains the dodgy questions. Well Let me tell you, I for one hope you get these dogs. I reckon most of us do. In fact, if there's anything I can do to help..." He just lets the rest of the sentence hang in the air unspoken.

At the Table

The player and his audience all look over at the armored man and make room for him to sit. Chairs are scooted and one person shifts a seat over so that there is a seat available. The player himself sits on the high back of one chair, his feet resting on its seat.

"Come, have a seat, friend." The player invites while re-tuning his instrument. "Anything we can do for you, well-armored sir?"

The audience look between Murdoc and the player, waiting to see what would happen.

jagadaishio
2008-04-19, 03:30 PM
Elia

"Well," says Elia, leaning in towards the trader and making a hand motion towards Claw and Penn suggesting that they do the same, "I was thinking that we would lure the bandits out with a fake caravan. They expect easy prey when the caravans come through because most traders aren't warriors and can't exactly afford body guards. If we set up a fake caravan, though, and hide us in the backs of the wagons where the cargo would normally be, they may be given an unexpected surprise when they strike. The challenge would be in getting a wagon, some horses, and a person who's willing to take a few risks and wouldn't look too out of place steering it."

The Boyce
2008-04-20, 09:01 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc grins as he leans down, planting his foot on the offered chair. "Well that depends, what do you know about these wannabe bandits?" Murdoc's eyes narrow looking for their responses, not just their replies.

Townopolis
2008-04-21, 10:31 PM
At the Bar
The trader starts to grin as Elia outlines her plan, and a bit of cheer lightens his face. "Well, I think I got that last part taken care of." He says with a wink, then leans back and looks about the room. "'fraid I got no wagon nor horse, but if you do find those... I'd be more'n happy to drive 'em for you. Just so long as you give those dogs a thrashing."

The bartender returns as the trader finishes. "What's this about a thrashing?"

"Say there, Arthur, you wouldn't know where these fine people could find a wagon and horse for rent, would you?"

"Looking to rent a wagon, you aren't planning on trying to run the Redcap gauntlet, are you?" The bartender quirks his eyebrow suspiciously at the trader.

"Tryin' to get out? Nah, looking out for my blood."

At the Table

The audience members all take on a sudden quiet and exchange glances. Some of them look worried, others quickly size Murdoc up and then share a pleased look. A singe "ooh" escapes the lips of one young lady.

"Aha! So I am correct," the player declares, "and the town is saved. I'm afraid we here don't know much about that lot, trying to keep our heads out of trouble and despair by staying indoors where the ale is. But I can tell you this. Nobody is safe outside of Redcap. If you're looking for something heroic to do, you might try your luck out in the farmlands, I hear there's no doubt the dogs will be there again soon."

He says all this with a smile, eager to grant his sage advice and wisdom on the matter at hand.

The Boyce
2008-04-21, 10:53 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc grinned at the response, though it might have looked like he was about to growl. "Well I know that they wear black and where they like to attack, but not so much their tactics or history. What weapons do they like to use?" Even as he says this he takes a quick glance at the girl who oohed.

jagadaishio
2008-04-22, 03:51 PM
Elia

"Might they have a horse and wagon for rent or sale out in the farmlands? It seems like such local trips would be less commonly hit by the bandits than the true caravans," says Elia, smiling now. "We could see if anyone out there is willing to loan or rent us anything, if they've got it. My name is Elia, by the way."

Looking around between Claw, Penn, Arthur, and the trader, she asks, "So, what do you all think about this?"

Sicarius
2008-04-22, 07:12 PM
Rina

This was absolutely pathetic. The tinman was preening like a peacock, the rest of the mercenaries were ignoring her. Rina slams her hands down on the bar, causing the glasses upon it to shake slightly. It seems the frontiersmen had no manners. She rather primly moves to where the tinman is preening and strutting his feathers. She narrows his eyes at Mr. Helpful, trying to get a read on him.

Sense Motive Check: [roll0]

jagadaishio
2008-04-22, 09:16 PM
Elia

"Might they have a horse and wagon for rent or sale out in the farmlands? It seems like such local trips would be less commonly hit by the bandits than the true caravans," says Elia, smiling now. "We could see if anyone out there is willing to loan or rent us anything, if they've got it. My name is Elia, by the way."

Looking around between Claw, Penn, Arthur, and the trader, she asks, "So, what do you all think about this?"

Townopolis
2008-04-23, 11:18 PM
At the Bar

The patrons startle and look over as Rina slams the bar and leaves. Arthur makes a hmm sound, then turns his attention back to Elia.

"Out in the farmlands? Well they certainly have them, don't know about for rent though. I figure they'd welcome the extra money, but I don't get a lot of farm folk in here, so I wouldn't know who or where. What exactly are you fixing to do with this wagon?"

The trader nods his head a bit, but remains silent and goes back to nursing his drink, letting others take care of the talking.

At the Table

The girl who oohed catches Murdoc's glance and blushes, turning her face to look down. Then, slyly, she glances up at him through her eyelashes, which she quickly flutters.

The player opens his mouth, then closes it. His eyes wander about the room for a moment searchingly, then center back on Murdoc.

"Oh... um. I can't really say. Swords, I guess... bows... maybe?" He quickly looses what little steam he starts out with and by the end it is a hopeful question, as if he were a child hoping to answer a question correctly. It is clear he knows little or no real information about the local bandits.

Rina
Mr. Helpful (I'm assuming it's the minstrel you're talking about) seems harmless enough. As far as you can tell he has good intentions but is of very limited knowledge and capability. It would be safe to say he's found the most useful place for himself here, playing upbeat music in a bar.

Selv
2008-04-24, 05:58 AM
Penn, at the bar

Guards or Mercenaries. I wish we knew. If we're policemen, we should let them know the law's here and hope they decide to retire. If we're mercenaries, we'd like the first time they see us to be a bloody surprise.

These dogs, what is their crime? Theft with menaces? Killing? Does anyone know who they are or where they are from?

When Rina stalks off, he glances after her silently for a second then shrugs and returns his attention to the other two.

Perhaps there are three routes we can take. We can hunt them to their home, as you said, Claw. We can lure them with a caravan as you said, Elia. Or we could fortify a farm and wait for them there. Is there another I have not thought?

jagadaishio
2008-04-24, 02:42 PM
Elia

"Like my friend just said, we could lure them into an ambush with a horse and wagon," says Elia to Arthur. "Anyway, there's always the possibility of us making it no longer... profitable for them to steal in this area. If we find their fences, whomever they sell their stolen goods to, and arrest them, the bandits may lose interest in the town and move on. Of course, in that circumstance we wouldn't be able to collect the bounty on them."

Sicarius
2008-04-24, 02:58 PM
Rina

"What a wealth of information..." Rina regards him coldly and speaks with all the haughty demeanor of a countess. "Does anyone here have anything contributory to add?"

The Boyce
2008-04-24, 03:22 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc turns his head slightly to give the intruding woman a harsh glare for the interruption before turning his attention back to the table. He shot the woman he was flirting with a quick wink before turning his attention to the whole table.

"While my companion could use a lesson in politeness I do agree with her question." Murdoc was, in many ways, in his element here. This is the sort of attention any member of the Hillstomper clan used to get in Barksburn. He was more than willing to take control of this little group while he had the chance to gain any information. He did not appreciate this uptight woman getting in his way.

Townopolis
2008-04-26, 06:03 PM
At the Bar

Arthur looks thoughtful for a bit as he mulls things over.
"Well, we don't know where the Dogs are from. They showed up a while ago and started with looting caravans, moved on to farms sure enough. Some of the town boys went out to hunt 'em down, never came back. Since then, peopl've died going in an' out o' town. So if you're worried about Toh havin' mercy on your soul, don't be.

Don't know much about bounty hunting, sorry."

At the Table

There is an uncomfortable silence as the player turns a shade of red and tries to shrink into his chair. The rest of the table looks at each other. Finally one woman speaks.

"I don't know much, most of 'hem come riding in on us waving all manner of weapons, but... they've two archers."

Sicarius
2008-04-27, 12:34 AM
Rina

"Now that is useful. Two archers, you say. Tell me more, if you would be so kind. When do you see them, and what else do you remember." Rina pays no attention to the player or to the tinman now that the former stopped wasting time and the latter stopped becoming a peacock.

Townopolis
2008-04-27, 08:58 PM
The woman looks down at her hands.

"Last week, they attacked us on our way outta town... my husband and I. 'Hey rode up, about a dozen of 'hem. Shot Mils as we were turnin' back."

She stops, fixes her hair, and continues again, he voice a bit weaker.

"The others rode in, whooping. Mils pulled my face into his shirt as he was tumblin' off. After that... after that I just heard them cursing and laughing and driving Mils' wagon away."

She stops again, and looks away.

"That's all I know" She finishes in a small voice, almost a mumble.

Sicarius
2008-04-27, 10:36 PM
Rina

"That's fine." Rina laid a comforting hand on her shoulder. "You did everything you can. Do not worry, your husband shall be avenged." Rina's delivery had something resembling compassion in it, but to those who had been around her, it seemed like a foreign concept to the ice queen.

"Now, if you are quite finished, I believe we have some farms to investigate."

Townopolis
2008-04-28, 10:24 PM
At the Bar

Arthur is called away to tend to some other patrons, refilling their mugs with dark, foamy ale and gladly taking the silver they give in return. A conversation down at the other end of the bar pulls the bartender in, and he is soon chatting away in his due style with them.

The trader looks over at Arthur as he moves away, then finishes his ale. With a wipe of his sleeve he mops up the ale from his bristly lip, then nods to Elia as he rises.

"Well, unless there's anything else you need me for today, I'm going to get me a nip of rest. Name's Nigel, by the by, and you can find me here, just ask Arthur and he'll tell you where."

With a tip of his head to Elia, then to Claw and then Penn, Nigel heads upstairs.

jagadaishio
2008-04-29, 02:50 PM
Elia

"Well," says Elia, looking to Claw and Penn, "I guess that it's about time to go look at the farm lands. Do you want to go and grab the other two to see if they have any other ideas?"

Townopolis
2008-04-30, 09:33 PM
Farmlands

Leaving the tavern, it is still around the middle of the day, and you set out for the farmlands north of Redcap. As you leave the main thoroughfare, the roads narrow drastically, but the houses become further apart, with alleyways in between them all. Sticking to the more sizeable roads does not turn you wrong however, and you emerge from the northern limits of the town into the farmland. Wide plains spread out before you, and it almost seems as if you can see forever. You can count half a dozen farmhouses, at least, within eyesight, and the farmlands do not stop.

Farmers can be seen, tiny as ants, slowly working their fields. Over the course of your walk out here, the sun has dipped a bit, but there is still plenty of daylight left to strike out into the farmlands and continue your investigations.

Selv
2008-05-02, 02:48 AM
Penn's walk to the farmlands put him in a much more resigned frame of mind. The Marches were country without centuries-established constables and courthouses, and in most places it wasn't clear which, if any, kingdom had authority. Consequently, mused Penn, this is a land of opportunity for psychopaths. But there have to be consequences. If these are ever to be more than badlands, there will have to be consequences.

Sicarius
2008-05-02, 09:14 AM
Rina

Once they started, Rina started looking intently for clues. If she could track them to some sort of hideout, it would be helpful. "Now move out, I'm going to see if I can find where they are striking from."

The Boyce
2008-05-02, 01:39 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc looked around at the various farms, looking for someone to talk to. Seeing a likely sort at work in his field, Murdoc set off looking for information about the recent attack.

"Good day to you sir," Murdoc says as he approaches the man.

jagadaishio
2008-05-03, 07:33 PM
Elia

Elia starts going from field to field, asking if any of the farmers either know any details about the attacks by the bandits or if they know anyone who knows any details about the attacks by the bandits. She also asks around trying to find someone willing to sell or rent out a horse/mule or donkeys and a cart.

Townopolis
2008-05-04, 12:41 AM
Eastern Farms

The eastern farms have been most recently attacked, so Rina's investigations soon take her there. There, the farmers are living out of shacks built from the wreckages of their homes. Yet, they continue on.

There is little to find out among the farms. The Black Dogs have struck, pillaged, and left.

Leaving the farmlands behind, Rina searches methodically for any tracks. Eventually, she finds them, heading northeast from the farms. It is an old trail, but still just discernable. ((Rina takes 10, gets 16 on track))

Southern Farms

The farmer looks up as Murdoc approaches, shading his eyes from the sun to see him better. Seeing the glint of armor, the peasant seems about to flee for a moment, then, seeing that Murdoc is alone and doesn't seem to bear any of the identifying marks of the Black Dogs, the peasant relaxes.

"Can't say so, but that same t'you." The farmer replies flatly, squinting at the armored man as sunlight glints off him.

Central Farms

The farmers have much and contradicting things to say to Elia. Sometimes there are a handful of riders, sometimes twenty men on foot. Sometimes they aren't even men, but orcs. Sometimes they come from the northwest, other times the northeast. About the only thing they can agree on is that they attack with abandon, sweeping through like a cloud of men and steel. There is no sense that these bandits are very organized, but strong enough to get away with it.

Finding a cart and horses to draw it is surprisingly easy. About one in every three farmers has a small cart and a horse for taking produce to town, and they are used to renting it out to their neighbours. Elia is even able to find one farmer willing to loan the cart and the draft horse used to pull it for free, with promises of its safe return and the end of the Dogs, of course.

((15 Gather Information))

The Boyce
2008-05-04, 07:20 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

"Yes, bandits tend to muck things up which is why I'm here. Me and some others decided to put a stop to their little band and well we need more information. Do you know anything that might be helpful, or somebody who does?"

Sicarius
2008-05-04, 07:53 PM
Rina

Rina stands and observes the trail in more detail, trying to see how many people were on it.

Snowfall
2008-05-04, 08:39 PM
Claw and Ghost

Seeing the others move to talk with the farmers, Claw follows along with Rina to check out the trail, silently pointing out what he sees.

Claw's got a 5 in Survival, so can he use it to assist Rina's check?

Sicarius
2008-05-04, 08:43 PM
Basic rules for aid another is a DC 10 check to give the other person a +2 bonus on their own check

jagadaishio
2008-05-04, 09:11 PM
Elia

Elia finds each of the others and explains that she's found someone to loan out their horse and cart in the event of them settling upon the counter-ambush plan.

Townopolis
2008-05-05, 09:57 PM
Southern Farms

The peasant cracks a grin, showing a mouth full of holes. "Sure I can.

Now, I jes' started working these fields few weeks ago. Afore that, I was hired out to a man on the edge o' the fertile land. Well, I was out in'e fields when them showed up.

Came around both sides, kickin' up dust and hollering like hell. Saw... five and one on one side, an the same on'e other. They was riding in on some horses. About five and...

...three?

Well, most o' them went to ripping up the house and yards up something fierce, the rest, four in all, came out to the fields.

They was jes yelling an all, but some people aren't going to take it well. So some o' the hands start running. Well, two o' the four stopped their horses and, well, started picking off the runners. That's about when I hit the ground.

One o' them came up to me and poked me with a spear or something, cut me light in the back, but it's nothing really. Had himself a good laugh at my expense. Then they all rode off together. I didn't get up until I could hear them were way off. Just got to see them dusting up the road.

After that, well, I couldn't work there any more, wasn't enough left to pay me for, or with."

The peasant shrugs and leans on the hoe he was using to clean furrows.

Bandit Tracks

((combined track of 18))

You can tell there were at least 8 riders, possibly more, it's difficult to tell with the way the paths constantly cross each other. It would have been much easier if they were riding abreast of each other, but it is clear they moved in a clump.

The Boyce
2008-05-07, 12:28 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

"Horses huh, that could be useful. Thanks for the help, hopefully I'll pay em back for that scratch they gave you." Murdoc grinned and walked off looking for other farmers to see if they had anything else to add. His conversation style would follow much of the same track, looking for information and building himself a reputation as a good guy, even if that wasn't true.

Selv
2008-05-07, 02:06 PM
Penn takes up a central position and leans on a fencepost, tipping forward his hat so the brim shades his eyes. This tinman's not so bad. He keeps an eye to the horizon, but doesn't spot anything suspicious.

Townopolis
2008-05-07, 11:45 PM
As the day draws to an end, Murdoc finds that his first informant has the most concrete story, and that the rest of the stories vary to degrees. The number of bandits ranges from six to twenty, and there is all the other variation that Elia encountered. From the remaining conversations, Murdoc only learns that there are between six and twenty bandits who are all either human, hobgoblin, or orc, and who don't seem to care about organization.

The people take to Murdoc well enough once they find out he is going to hunt down the bandits, but it is likely the friendship of need. Initial reactions of wariness change to relief and passive helpfulness at the hearing of the task at hand, and don't seem to move from there.

Townopolis
2008-05-10, 05:09 PM
The day draws to a close with little else happening, and none more learned. Returning to the Shining Star, your joint persuasions are able to convince Arthur to give you one night's rest free of charge.

"Dead men's rest, or hero's welcome. Either way, I don't want to see you back without a finished job now, here?"

His admonishment is mostly serious, but not all. You retire for the night to rest and rejuvenate, or perhaps to plan your attack by candlelight.

~

Morning comes with a ray of sunshine through your window. The nighttime cold has not yet been driven out by the light, and you shiver to leave the comfort of your bed. However, there is work to do, and soon enough you are preparing for the day ahead of you.

Sicarius
2008-05-10, 09:03 PM
Rina

Rina wakes up with a terrible cramp. I can't believe they have the nerve to call that a bed. Muttering to herself, she starts getting ready for the day, which meant washing and grooming. After all, just because the others did not seem fit to dress in a fashion appropriate to call upon a prostitute did not mean she had to stoop so low.

jagadaishio
2008-05-11, 12:12 PM
Elia

Elia sat up for the better part of the night, weighing the options before the group. All of the different ideas had their merits, and all of them had their flaws. There was so little concrete information, though.

It's almost impossible to decide. If we try for a reverse-ambush, they may actually get the jump on us, if we don't see them coming. If we try to track them, any wrong move could reveal our approach, and we would have to face them all at once.

She ended up with just a few hours of sleep, a fact visibly etched across her face in its expression and sunken eyes.

The Boyce
2008-05-11, 09:18 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc lets out a huge yawn as he awakes, he gives his armor and weapon a good polish before putting it on. He then leaves his room thinking to himself, "Ambush or track? Both have the same risks, but tracking has a bigger advantage in that they won't be mounted. Speaking of which, I wonder what we shall do with the horses. This may be more profitable then I thought."

Townopolis
2008-05-12, 02:13 PM
Nigel is downstairs when you arrive, having turned in much earlier than any of you, he has gotten down a little before. He sits at a table with a plate of grits and hash before him, digging into it heartily.

"One thing you can find in Redcap easy, food." he declares to you with a grin as you appear downstairs, and he accompanies this with a hand wave, beckoning you over to sit with him.

"Something to eat here, Arty?" He calls out. Arthur responds to this with a scowl at being called "Arty," but begins preparing some food for you.

"So," Nigel prys, "What's the plan to take out our boys, and what part do I get to play in it?"

His eyes gleam with eagerness and relish as he poses the question, and the grizzled, gray haired trader looks to you brightly for a response, still eating.

Sicarius
2008-05-12, 02:26 PM
Rina

"Tracking them gives us an advantage in deciding when the attack is sprung. Throwing ourselves into a trap doesn't seem to me as particularly effective. But if all of you can keep quiet, we can take their own encampment by surprise."

Snowfall
2008-05-12, 03:40 PM
Claw

Claw slept lightly and awoke refreshed, if not entirely satisfied. He was still never quite at home in human settlements, but decided to take the room when it was offered, having brought Ghost inside before any note of protest could be sung.

Pushing Ghost off the foot of the bed, the two head down to the common room to meet the others. He nods in agreement to Rina's suggestion,

"Trap the prey you know, stalk the prey you do not."

jagadaishio
2008-05-12, 07:01 PM
Elia

Upon arriving downstairs to the breakfast the others are engaging in, Elia visibly relaxes, as it seems the hard decision has already been made for her by the group. She does worry about whether they are all capable of being stealthy enough to pull off the tracking and surprising. "So you all want to track then down, then?"

The Boyce
2008-05-13, 06:11 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

"We shall not give them the benefit of horses this way," Murdoc says with a shrug as he eats his fill. "But we should hurry up I suppose might as well stop them before they hit again"

Townopolis
2008-05-15, 12:09 AM
The tracks that Rina found are another day old, but she and Claw manage to pick them up again without much trouble. They lead northeast from the farmlands for a while, before dropping into a dry ravine that runs north-south. Here you stop for a short break as the trackers pour over the ground. It turns out there are tracks leading both ways. Soon enough, however, it is confirmed that the freshest tracks, the ones you have been following, lead north.

Heading that direction, you follow the ravine as it wedges itself between two hills, then opens up as the hills part. The path slopes steeply downward into a small valley. The land in this area is grassland, suitable for pasture but not crops, and this particular valley has a stream running through it. It also just so happens to have a dozen or so horses grazing in it.

((On a side note, where does everyone see themselves in the marching order?))

jagadaishio
2008-05-16, 02:34 PM
Elia

Upon coming across the field of horses, Elia cranes her neck to see if there are any bandits around. If there are, but they do not appear to have noticed them yet, she immediately looks for somewhere to hid.

I see Elia as being somewhere in the squishy centre.

The Boyce
2008-05-16, 02:56 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

Murdoc takes a good look at all the horses, more than he really bargained for, but a good number nonetheless. They'd certainly pad their wallets, maybe even more than the actual reward for the bandits.

((OOC: I could see him being fourth or fifth given his lack of sneakery))

Sicarius
2008-05-16, 04:24 PM
Rina

Rina sizes up the terrain carefully, looking for the most ideal spot to start a battle, if there was one.

((Rina is second in the battle order, given that Claw is likely tracking, and Rina wants to be close enough to shout orders to everyone else))

EDIT: Rina's preferred order (which she will, of course, voice to everyone) is Claw, herself, Elia, Murdoc, then Penn. Claw in the front will be tracking, Rina next will be the ideal place to see the entire battlefield and give orders, Elia is in the front because she can be adjusted as needed (Rina won't admit to saying that she thinks Elia is absolutely useless in a fight), Murdoc is the baseline that Claw and Rina can fall back to in case a tactical regrouping is needed, and Penn's bow and keen eyesight would suit him well in the rear position.

Townopolis
2008-05-16, 11:23 PM
The valley sits between five large hills, with the creek cutting between hills to the east and west, and your ravine opening into it from the south, then appearing again on the north.

((starting at your position and going clockwise, the areas between hills are: ravine, empty, creek, ravine, creek))

To the north, you see the hills rising into craggy half-mountains, not large enough to be thought of as an actual range, to the east and southeast, you know the grasslands quickly turn into badlands, but they seem to be continuing elsewhere, in a hilly way.

Rina

If you do end up fighting, you're going to want the higher ground, so the tops of any of the hills would be ideal. The valley itself would be the last place to get caught, as you would be easily surrounded by reinforcements, possibly without knowing it. The ravine is poor as well, as it is the ultimate low ground, and would be difficult to get out of while under attack,.

About the only thing the ravine has for it is some cover against ranged fire and an easier transition into the valley.

Elia

As you peer at the surroundings, you catch sight of movement on the second hill to your left. Focusing on it, you see a figure pacing upon the hillside facing the valley, very close to the hilltop. It seems to be headed your way around the circle of hills, then stops, and walks the other way. After a bit of this, it hikes up to the peak and stands there for a bit.

jagadaishio
2008-05-18, 02:06 AM
Elia

Elia crouches down and motions for the others to keep their heads down as well. She points up to the hilltop where she saw the figure and says, "We don't want to get spotted yet."

Snowfall
2008-05-19, 06:45 PM
Claw

Claw nods at Elia's words, and then turns to Rina "The dogs' eyes. We hide from them or blind them."

Townopolis
2008-05-20, 12:14 AM
((Saying everyone ducks, covers, hunkers down, kisses gravel, etc...))

When Elia points him out to the rest of the group, it only takes a little peering and squinting to make out the figure, on the second hill to the left. Everyone scrambles to keep out of sight, and it seems, for the moment, that you are successful. Peeking over the lip of the ravine shows that the sentry is continuing to meander around his post atop the hill, watching over the horses.

As you ponder your next move, the sentry seems overcome with the boredom of watching over livestock, and lies down on the hillside to soak up the sun, or fall asleep, you can't be sure at this distance.

Sicarius
2008-05-20, 12:18 PM
Rina

"Not a very effective guard. We could easily slice his throat and drag him over to tree cover. If he's so bored with his duties that he falls asleep on the job, his compatriots would be not too suspicious if he disappeared for a few minutes."

Rina scoffs. This could be a trap, but she would need to be closer before she could make sure. "Claw, it should be either you or I. While I don't doubt Penn's skill with a bow, I doubt he could sever the vocal cords with absolute precision from this distance."

Snowfall
2008-05-22, 12:11 PM
Claw

Claw nods at Rina, smiling "Hunt together. One may catch what another misses. High ground is good for eagle eyes too."

Turning to the others he adds, "You will be ready. The dogs may stir."

"Bai tho, dost" he says to Ghost, who whines for a moment, but then walks over to sit by Elia. Claw checks his daggers, nods at Rina again, and then silently moves off into the brush.

High ground seems like a good tactical view point. After taking out the guard we could also spook the horses to draw the rest of the Black Dogs out, sending Ghost to play "wolf". Or drive them into the black dogs camp itself.

Sicarius
2008-05-22, 01:15 PM
Rina

"Then let's move while we still have the advantage of surprise." Rina begins to follow, moving as quietly as a mouse.

jagadaishio
2008-05-22, 05:53 PM
Elia

Elia watches as the hunter and the noble woman move out to take out the potential watcher. Having Big Bear's Ghost next to her is actually fairly comforting, as she's sure that he is a great protector if the fight were to reach the bottom of the hill.

I hope that guy actually is a guard and not a herder or something, no matter how unlikely it may be that he is.

Townopolis
2008-05-22, 06:31 PM
Rina and Claw ascend the hill and approach the sentry, keeping cover in the overgrown grass and brush.

Rina & Claw
As you come close, the sentry sits up suddenly.

"What?!"

He rises from his nap and looks around, his eyes sweeping over your hiding places searchingly.

"Jorgen, you there?"

As the sentry calls out, one hand comes to rest on the handle of a hatchet at his hip, the other reaching for a dagger tucked in its sheath under his belt.

He is a short-haired youth with stubble around his mouth and a thin face. He wears a leather jerkin over common clothes, trousers and a simple shirt, belt, and boots. He also has a peasant's shade for the sun, but that lies on the ground next to him. Without it, his dirty blond hair hangs over his eyes and he squints against the light.

Those watching from the ravine see the sentry suddenly get up, but cannot discern more about his actions.

Snowfall
2008-05-23, 09:51 AM
Claw

Claw crouches patiently, dagger in hand but behind his back so as not to catch any light. He waits for the young man to come closer.

If he doesn't approach, Claw will make scratching noise on the ground with his dagger.

Sicarius
2008-05-23, 11:24 AM
Rina

Rina keeps herself hidden and quiet, her hand on her bow.

Townopolis
2008-05-23, 10:45 PM
The sentry begins to slowly approach the direction Rina and Claw would be approaching from, though neither of them can be seen.

Rina & Claw

The sentry doesn't look like he's going to investigate, but then he hears Claw's scratching.

"Wha... what's that digging in there?" His tone changes from worry to amusement.

He begins climbing up towards your position, peering at the ground intently, as if he will find a groundhog or snake there, he casually draws his hatchet.

He approaches within feet of Claw's position, but his eyes are glued to the ground, and his eyes don't even pass over your positions as he passes between you.

Snowfall
2008-05-24, 03:36 PM
Claw

When the guard passes between himself and Rina, Claw rises up swiftly and strikes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4365255&postcount=12) with his dagger, seeking to rip his blade across the young man's throat.

Sicarius
2008-05-24, 05:52 PM
Rina

When he gets close, and seeing Claw's reaction, Rina attempts to slice at his jaw with her finely wrought fencer's blade.

Townopolis
2008-05-25, 12:41 PM
As the sentry ascends the hill, two figures rise suddenly from the grass on either side of him and assault him. A moment later, the sentry falls to the ground.

Claw & Rina

Claw's blade catches the sentry on the collar bone, and stabs upward into his neck, Rina's rapier strikes truer, and blood flows from the sentry's throat as he lets forth a wordless cry. The cry is stifled by the cut, only a tiny sound comes out, and then he crumples to the ground at your feet.

His eyes are still open, and he desperately clutches at his throat, having dropped his hatchet, trying to staunch the flow of blood.

Sicarius
2008-05-25, 02:05 PM
Rina

Coyly, Rina puts her finger to her mouth. "Shhh..." /COLOR] She smiles the devil's smile.[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]"Tell me what I want to know and I'll let you live. Are you one of the Black Dog boys?"

Townopolis
2008-05-26, 12:58 AM
Rina & Claw

The man tries to speak, but ends up slobbering blood instead. There is a desperate look in his eyes

Sicarius
2008-05-26, 11:04 AM
Rina

"How utterly disappinting." Rina reaches into her pack and begins staunching the blood flow.

Townopolis
2008-05-26, 08:42 PM
Rina

The man isn't dying, really, rather the cut across his neck has pierced his windpipe, and he is partially bleeding into it. It is a nasty wound to suffer, but you know how to deal with it. With care, you staunch the flow and get a seal over the problem. The man coughs up some more blood, then seems to breathe easier and relax.

Rina & Claw

Rina manages to mend the sentry's wound, and he coughs up some more blood then relaxes. With his crises averted, he looks up at both of you, as if seeing you both for the first time, actually, he probably is.

"Who... are you?" His voice is tinged with fear.

Sicarius
2008-05-28, 08:44 AM
Rina

Claw and Sentry
"In this, I will ask the questions. If you answer them, you may be...rewarded." Rina lightly stroked his cheek with her finger, and pouted her lips a bit for maximum effect. "And if you don't...well, you've seen how good I am with a blade...Now tell me. Are you one of the Black Dog boys?"

Totally Sensing his Motive if he tells us anything. My intent is that I want him to answer honestly, not tell me what I want to hear.

Townopolis
2008-05-29, 10:49 PM
Rina & Claw

The captive looks at Rina then Claw, then back at Rina, confused fright in his eyes.

"... Yes?"

Everyone Else

You catch sight of a pair of figures entering the valley from the ravine across from your position. They appear at its mouth and then drop down into the valley.

At first, the horses all shy away from the two figures, and some outright run from them, but after a few moments, one of them is coaxed over by one of the figures. At this distance, everything is quite small, but you can tell at least that both newcomers are carrying something, probably saddles, on their shoulders.

Sicarius
2008-05-30, 12:55 AM
Rina

Claw and Sentry

"That's a good boy. Now, would you be a dear and tell me where you are based currently?"

Snowfall
2008-05-30, 10:42 AM
Claw

Claw continues to listen to Rina's interrogation, but quietly moves a few feet away to keep a lookout on their surroundings.

Townopolis
2008-05-30, 07:36 PM
Rina & Claw

Your prisoner's eyes flit back and forth around you, refusing to make eye contact with either of you. He looks at Claw, gulps, and chews on his lip for just a moment, then tries to compose himself before giving a quick response.

"No."

jagadaishio
2008-05-31, 10:15 AM
Elia

Penn and Murdoc:
Elia looks carefully and tries to see if the two men would be able to see Claw and Rina at the top of the hill. Either way, she nudges Penn and Murdoc and whispers, "I think we know where their camp is now."

Sicarius
2008-05-31, 01:23 PM
Rina

"That's...so...disappointing. But maybe that means I get to play." Rina removed her dagger from her sheath and licked the edge in an attempt to scare the helpless little sentry. "You know a human can live for a few seconds after getting stabbed. I wonder, do you want to know what your own heart looks like? I'm more than happy to show you...up close."

The Boyce
2008-05-31, 08:21 PM
Murdoc Hillstomper

Not Claw and Rina:

"Yes but now we are separated, and those two are taking far too long"

Townopolis
2008-06-01, 12:12 PM
Rina & Claw

The prisoner looks away from the blade in Rina's hands.

"Minutes, actually... miss."

Saying these words seems to relieve him, and when he adds the "miss" on the end, the corner of his mouth twitches into the beginnings of a smile, although it disappears just as quickly.

Elia, Murdoc, & Penn

The two figures get one saddle on a horse, and the one who coaxed the creature over hands it to his partner, then begins moving towards the rest of the horses. They still shy away from him, but are not very certain about it.

Soon enough, one horse is cautiously trotting towards him.

Snowfall
2008-06-01, 05:10 PM
Claw w/ Rina & Sentry

Claw slides in behind the man and grabs his hair, pulling his head up. He draws a new knife from a sheath - a long, sharpened one edged blade - and presses it against the sentry's scalp, just hard enough to draw blood.

"He does not talk. I now take my trophy."

Townopolis
2008-06-02, 11:38 PM
Rina & Claw

"NO! WAIT! I'll... no don't! Please, don't! You're crazy! You're a savage orc! Don't let him!"

His eyes flare with panic, and the protests spill out as from an overturned bucket. He tries to catch Rina's eye and give a pleading look.

"Don't let him! I'll... It's just down the ravine, past the hills, down by the lake-sentries on the hills, flanking the ravine! They'll know if you come from anywhere else, they'll know if they see you in the ravine, please don't let him scalp me! I'll talk!"

Sicarius
2008-06-03, 12:14 AM
Rina

"Now was that so hard, sugar?" Rina traced a delicate hand over the wound, licking the drop of blood on her finger. "Now...how many of you little darlings are in that camp. Two sentries and...?"

Townopolis
2008-06-03, 12:21 AM
Rina & Claw

The prisoner gives Rina a look as she licks the blood off her fingers.
"Two sentries, and..." he seems to have trouble with the number "Nine others?"

jagadaishio
2008-06-03, 11:52 AM
Elia

Murdoc and Penn:
"It looks like they aren't on very good terms with their horses," says Elia in reaction to the movements of the horses. "They may not have as much of an advantage mounted as we thought. Still, do you want to strike now before they're on horseback or hide and hope they don't notice us as they ride out?"

Townopolis
2008-06-04, 05:34 PM
A falcon cries its hunting cry far overhead as it swoops majestically through the air.

Sicarius
2008-06-04, 06:33 PM
Rina

"Well, I don't think I need anything more from him...Anything else you want to ask?"

Snowfall
2008-06-04, 07:51 PM
Claw

In answer to Rina's question Claw drops the man's head and lets it thud against the ground. He twirls his scalping knife around his palm and then sheaths it.

"The dog is yours."

Claw steps back again, his eyes scanning the valley below.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sicarius
2008-06-04, 11:13 PM
Rina

"Well, I'm a woman of my word. I'm going to have to tie you up, of course, just for added security. But after that, I'll let you go. I know it must seem arbitrary, but believe me, you're much better off. Of course, if you try to escape and betray us, well, he might just have to find the scalp off the pieces of you." She gives him a sly wink as she gags him first, then begins to drag him back quickly toward the hiding point, making sure she doesn't rub his wound extensively against the hard dirt.

Townopolis
2008-06-06, 10:59 PM
Elia, Claw, Murdoc, & Penn

The two figures in the valley now have two horses, and are getting their saddles securely fixed in place. One mounts up, then the other, and they begin trotting straight for the ravine, where Elia, Murdoc, and Penn are all hiding.

jagadaishio
2008-06-07, 09:55 PM
Elia

Murdoc and Penn:
"Let's ambush them, unless Penn wants to try to snipe them from here," says Elia, staying in her hidden position and preparing to leap out and start attacking once the riders get within 50 ft.

Snowfall
2008-06-07, 10:30 PM
Claw

Claw turns to Rina as she ties up the sentry, "We hunt again. Two dogs approach Ghost and the others."

He pulls out his bow and begins to head back down the hill, angling to come out above or behind the two riding guards. After several steps he pauses, waiting long enough to see that Rina's following before continuing on.

(ooc: Ghost will guard Elia)

Sicarius
2008-06-11, 10:33 AM
Rina

Rina also grabs her bow. This could be interesting. Dealing with the sentry was fun, but now it was time for the wicked things to begin.

Townopolis
2008-06-11, 05:15 PM
The riders trot their horses through the valley and to the mouth of the ravine where Elia, Murdoc, and Penn are hiding. In the meantime, Rina & Claw have managed to follow the riders along the hill, coming well into bow range and a little behind the riders.

Spot & Hide
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Listen & Move Silently
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

Initiative
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
[roll12]
[roll13]
[roll14]
[roll15]

The rider closest to Rina and Claw hears something over his shoulder, but when he looks to see what is there, Rina and Claw duck into the tall grass, and he sees nothing.

((Going to just assume His spot roll of 3 misses you guys. Surprise round (partial action only) for the party, then rounds begin. Selv is dropping out of the game, so I'll be NPCing Penn until I get him out of the group))

Marvin -> Penn -> Claw -> Elia -> Rina -> Murdoc -> Harold

Map

Green is difficult terrain going up (to the left) but not down (to the right) brown requires a climb check DC 15 to move into. If you end your move on a brown square you are considered to be climbing during everyone else's turns.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y114/lordsmoothe/SS.jpg

Snowfall
2008-06-12, 10:02 PM
Claw

Claw attempts to track the riders silently, keeping low to remain hidden. Moving slowly down the hill his foot snaps a twig and he tries to freeze behind a bush.

Claw moves to K8

Move Silently = 9 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4454808&postcount=16)
Hide = 20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4454819&postcount=17)

jagadaishio
2008-06-13, 02:00 PM
Elia

Elia moves forward so that she's within range of the riders, trying to stay hidden, and hoping that her invisible Eldritch Dart doesn't give away her position. She fires off a shot at Harold (the one on the left, as far as she's concerned), hoping to hit before they notice the various hiding bounty hunters.

Move to U18 and attack Harold. The eldritch dart is invisible, and I think inaudible, so it's up to the hide and move silently rolls to determine if she's obvious.

1d20+5
1d20+5
1d20+5
1d6+5 (This is Force damage)

OOC:
Whoops, wrong tags and wrong thread for rolling anyway. I'll leave that here to show that I'm not trying to delete bad rolls, and I'll actually make the rolls in the roll thread.