PDA

View Full Version : Auromar: Light and Dark (IC 3)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Lochar
2008-03-31, 04:35 PM
IC2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64532)

OOC: Continuing from where we leave off on IC 2. Ritual will not move over here.

Lochar
2008-03-31, 04:36 PM
Kjapp:
The guard is fairly reeling now, but still strikes at you.
A1: [roll0]
CC: [roll1]
D: [roll2]

A2: [roll3]
CC: [roll4]
D: [roll5]

A3: [roll6]
CC: [roll7] <-- I have to laugh, I accidentally roll 1d2022 instead of 120-2, and it still rolls stupidly low.
D: [roll8]

Greymist
2008-03-31, 04:49 PM
HP:80

Kjapp pulls his blows as the guard starts to sway (non lethal)

Attack1:[roll0]
Crit1:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]

Attack1:[roll3]
Crit1:[roll4]
Damage:[roll5]

Lochar
2008-03-31, 06:02 PM
Kjapp:
The guard falls before your feet and seems to disburse into nothingness. Before you are able to draw breath, the other guard steps up, swinging at you as well.

"One more after me, sleeper. Then you earn your reprieve for the night."

Greymist
2008-03-31, 06:15 PM
HP: 76

Does my body look to be suffering any effects of the spirit fight?
Spot [roll0]

Kjapp smiles grimly, already ready for the next spirit.

It seems I can't kill them, better try to knock them out as quickly as possible so they can't whittle me down.

Attack1:[roll1]
Crit1:[roll2]
Damage:[roll3]

Attack1:[roll4]
Crit1:[roll5]
Damage:[roll6]

Edit: And I actually ment to do subdual damage but it wouldn't have made attack two hit anyway.

Lochar
2008-03-31, 06:36 PM
Kjapp:

The guard takes your first blow straight, but the second flies laughably wide.

Then the guard takes his time on you.

CC: [roll7]

A3: [roll9]
CC: [roll10]
D: [roll11]

Beyond the bruises and abrasions you've collected, your spirit body and body itself look fine.

Greymist
2008-03-31, 06:44 PM
HP: 63

Kjapp winces as the guard rains down blows on him.

If only I had my sword or my bow.

CC1:[roll1]
D:[roll2]

Attack2:[roll3]
CC2:[roll4]
D:[roll5]

Lochar
2008-03-31, 07:16 PM
Grazys:

It's about forty-five minutes before dawn now, and you sense one of the spirits in the town fade away, and the area around where it disappeared is again filled with the sense of a light mist. It doesn't spread out very far from it's point of origin.

Kjapp:

Dodging the first blow and taking the second one, the guard attacks again.

A4: [roll9]

Greymist
2008-03-31, 07:31 PM
HP: 54 - thank god for high con.

Kjapp manages to fend off two of the guards attacks the the remaining two connect solidly.

Please crit confirm!

Lochar
2008-03-31, 07:36 PM
Kjapp:

The guard is looking fairly well roughed up after those hits, but still able to fight.

A4: [roll9]

Greymist
2008-03-31, 07:55 PM
HP: 41

So did the crit confirm? :P Also if this guy drops before Kjapp he will immediately (if possible without provoking an AOO) cast CLW spontaneously [roll0] dropping Endure Elements.

Attack1:[roll1]
CC1:[roll2]
D:[roll3]

Attack2:[roll4]
CC2:[roll5]
D:[roll6]

Lochar
2008-03-31, 08:00 PM
Kjapp:
No, you didn't confirm. By 1 point. Also, if you were hit by the second and fourth attacks last round, subtract two damage for each of them. I forgot to modify for off-hand damage.

The guard is now weaving dangerously, his body damaged and seemingly breaking apart instead of bleeding from your hits.

Undaunted, he continues to pummel at you. "Even if I fall, you won't wake!"

A1: [roll3]

A1: [roll6]

A1: [roll9]

Greymist
2008-03-31, 08:16 PM
HP: 24 - ouch, the 5 dmg crit.

"And if I don't wake at least you wont be the one to take me"

Kjapp spits as he lashes out at the guard viciously.

OOC: I'm just heading out of the office for 30 minutes for a meeting, will be slow to reply

Lochar
2008-03-31, 08:21 PM
Kjapp:

The guard falls, disbursing like the previous one did. As you look around, you don't notice anyone else for a moment, before another walks straight through the door bars.

"I am Hsin, and I regret that we must do this to you, but it is required that we have bodies in which to protect our town, especially with the curse now lifting.

I will give you one minute to channel any energies you need to heal yourself before I kill you. I will not have you at anything less than a fair fight."

Grazys:
A second spirit vanishes, and the mist spreading out from that location stretches further.

Greymist
2008-03-31, 09:08 PM
Lochar:

He nods at Hsin as he casts all the healing spells available to him, knowing he's in a bad state Kjapp lets out a sharp whistle hoping vainly that his companion owl Silentwing may also be in this dream like state.

One more CLW [roll0] and 3x cure minor.

HP: 33 - horray for two 2's on my CLW

"You have strange honour for one trying to kill me, what is this curse you speak of and why does it lifting mean you need to take my body?"

K:Religion [roll1] Any idea what he's talking about regarding a curse? Also what the spirit state he's currently in is.

Lochar
2008-03-31, 09:25 PM
Kjapp:
"People will come to our town and attempt to take what we have for themselves. As it always was before, it shall always be now. We who protect the town must be able to do so."

He flexes his body for a moment. "I will cross fists with you once. Should you survive my onslaught, you will have your reprieve for the night. But I will be your opponent at first sleep when you return. Realize this."

Hsin steps in front of you and bows. "Strike at me, and then I will strike back."

Hsin will not attack you or take AoO if you want to burn a spell on him.

Greymist
2008-03-31, 09:49 PM
Kjapp nods at Hsin and whispers a prayer "Fharlanghn, let me see the dawn and travel your roads again".

First round fighting defensively -4 to hit, +2 dodge. AC: 14

OOC:My ranger spells taken were camoflage and pass without trace to be used after an escape. Claws of the bear would have come in really handy about now.

Lochar
2008-03-31, 10:03 PM
Kjapp:
Your first punch seems to slide right by Hsin, while he easily parries the second.

"May you stand before me, if you can." Hsin says, before unleashing a flurry of blows on you.

As you weather the blows, Hsin bows once to you. "You stood well. The next night you sleep, you will not awaken though. Stay with your body and you will not lose it tonight though."

Hsin leaves your cell, and you are alone.

OOC:I dropped him a level, otherwise you would have had 5 attacks at 1d10+2 damage. :P

Greymist
2008-03-31, 10:16 PM
Kjapp sits by his body panting, head bowed, thankful he survived the night.

If I have to face that one again I'm not sure I'll awake tomorrow, I have to get out of here today.

Does Kjapp's real body reflect the spirit bodies condition?

OOC:I did have rolls in this post because I didn't read the second half of your post before replying, whoops. That's why there is the litte * post roll count doesn't match database

GimliFett
2008-04-01, 08:27 AM
Grazys Senneker

Standing quickly, the binder turns around and looks in every direction."I think our mate's done it, Dothen!" Grazys calls out with a wide grin. "An' if I'm not mistaken, the Curse's presence seems a touch lighter, too! Not a lot, but somewhat lighter. Every little bit helps, eh?"

Impatiently pacing as he waits for his friends to awaken, Grazys ponders the things that happened this morning. "Couple other things I didn't mention before - not a big deal, but maybe relevant - but I could wait fer them ta wake up, whaddya think?" he asks Dothen.

Lochar
2008-04-01, 08:28 AM
Kjapp:
No, your body does not reflect your spirit body's condition.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-01, 08:35 AM
Hist

Well done Reid. That seemed like a good sign.

The spirit form of Hist turned around for a few seconds, enough to see the flash of light.

Is that it? No, can't be. Not that quickly.

Do I go back in? But what if the ritual's not done yet? Probably best not to risk it.

Toliudar
2008-04-01, 09:03 AM
Reid

Feeling...well, nothing much at all at this point, Reid walks over to the two figures. He smiles at both boy and man, and makes a small, simple version of a sun-symbol greeting to both.

Greyen
2008-04-01, 09:13 AM
Dothen

The bright light reveals Dothen standing by the doorway, he looks back at Grazys and says Wait fer them to wake on their own. They may still need to be asleep. If they do not wake before the priests come then we'll figure it out then.

Lochar
2008-04-01, 09:20 AM
Reid:

The older man situates the boy on his lap. "Welcome, Raidente, to Pelor's Light, home of peace."

He musses the hair of the boy in his lap. "And you, Rico, why did you attempt the ritual? Master Illian should have known to not let you attempt it, you are only an acolyte."

"Grandfather, I spent years and years of those nights getting better. When I asked Father Illian to allow me to attempt the ritual, I would have been at least an eighth light." Rico says, attempting to get his head out from under the older man's hand.

"I see." He says, before looking back to Reid. "Sit, enjoy your time here, Raidente. The true test was getting here, this is where your soul rests from it's test. Might I enquire as to your name?"

Toliudar
2008-04-01, 09:29 AM
Reid

The man's warmth and gentility break through the exhaustion and fear of the trial. Reid extends a hand to the grandfather, and then to Rico.

I am Reid den Birchcliff. A pleasure to meet you sir, and you, Rico. Your parents...will be very happy to see you, soon.

He settled on the ground near the other two, and simply looked out for a time. The light felt good. Like a friend.

There was so much that he and Rico would have to talk about...especially if they were now to be merged into one body. If that had happened. Nothing was clear. Well, leave the talk of bodies to when he had a body, he supposed. Reid glanced up at the older man.

You are also a Radiente, then?

Moral Wiz
2008-04-01, 09:29 AM
Hist

Hold a moment; Didn't Grazys say that there was no sign of the spirits during the day?

Curiosity and Duty start to war in his mind, and, after a harsh struggle, curiosity won.

If they isn't any other spirit, I'm probably safe in going in and taking a look.

Probably. If the ritual didn't let the spirits stick around.

After a few more moment, Hist resolves to peer around the entranceway, into the temple, renewing his invisibility beforehand, to ensure that he didn't interrupt anything.

GimliFett
2008-04-01, 09:39 AM
Grazys Senneker

The binder nods in agreement. "Sure thing," he says as he resumes his pacing.

Lochar
2008-04-01, 10:04 AM
Reid:
"At one point, yes. Before the curse came to Auromar, I was."

"Grampa came up here to ask for Lord Pelor's help to stop the curse." Rico adds.

The old man shakes his head. "By the time I ascended to here, the curse was already laid, and no divine hand could end it. And the mortal body left behind withered with the rest of the townsfolk."

He shakes his head. "But enough of that. You are here, and you need to know what you will be bringing back with you. Pelor's Light will follow you always now. I've watched the abilities of the Raidente change when they stopped having to take the Test of the Dawn. You will find that any healing prayers are the same as if they were prayers from the domain of health, now."

The older man stands, setting Rico down. "Pelor's Light is not easily fooled either. Call upon the light, and nothing hidden will hide. Pelor's light must be drawn from light already there though, so in darkness you must summon light before."

"There may be other things. It has been so long since any have taken the actual test. You don't have much time left here, Reid. Pelor's Light is only accessible for mortals during the time of dawn. Once the sun no longer touches the horizon, you return to your body."

Indeed, you can actually feel the thread that connects body and soul reforming, and it has a gentle tugging sensation.

"You may return though. As dawn breaks, draw the light the way you did to first get here, and you will return."

Rico looks between you and his grandfather. "Do I have to go back too? I remember he tied us together, like the curse was supposed to be."

He looks down at the boy. "No, you've made it here. Here you will rest." He then turns back to Reid. "Go, follow your cord back, and let the light guide you, Raidente Reid."

OOC:

Mechanical changes. All healing spells you cast are now considered to be Healing Domain spells in regards to your abilities as a Radiant Servant.

You may summon Pelor's Light to your eyes. For one minute per Radiant Servant level, all illusions are stripped from your eyes. Anything invisible or ethereal is visible to you. Any spells to hide something instead reveal to your eyes what they hide. This ability requires you to be in an area of full light, either natural or magical.

Hist:
Looking into the temple, Reid's body is on the ground. There is no cord attached to it, and the spirit Reid is no where to be found. Neither Father Illian or Rico are there either. Reid's body pulses with a slight light, which negates the shadows in the room, leaving Dothen and Grazys visible, even though both are still translucent.

Your life thread pulses slightly, and you could now follow it back to your body and wake up if you so choose.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-01, 10:10 AM
Hist

Hmm... well, everything seems to be fine. I'll just wait a little, to be sure.

He sits down on the ground, facing the door. He knows, on one level, that nothing will happen now, and his invisibility spell vanishes, but skepticism still clings to him, like his old familiar cloak.

Toliudar
2008-04-01, 10:26 AM
Reid

Bowing slightly, Reid struggles to take in all that the Grandfather says. He then takes Rico's hand.

Then I will just say thank you to you both - for your guidance, and Rico - for providing an example of what courage can do. Exalt in the light, and the darkness cannot hold.

As the grandfather had sugested, Reid relaxes, and tries to release his hold on this place. Focusing on the cord that still holds him firm, he slides back towards his body.

Woot! Empowered healing!

I've got to focus on work for about 7-8 hours now. I'll post more if I can in about 3 hours.

Lochar
2008-04-01, 10:29 AM
Reid:
You feel yourself starting to slip away, fading from Pelor's Light, but taking it with you as well. As you fade out, Rico's grandfather gives you a smile. "Oh, Reid? You're not all flash in the pan, either. Your union is blessed."

And then you are back in your body, waking up.

Toliudar
2008-04-01, 12:45 PM
Reid

Abruptly, Reid sits up. Instinctively, he glances around, and then down at his too too solid flesh. And grins. And grins. He glances over at Dothen and Grazys.

Well, that was both more and less than I was expecting. Oh! I have to find Abel. Oh, my friends. It's good to see you again.

He glances down at Hist's still form. He's still grinning, but there's a bit of furrow to his brow.

Oh! Hist's not back yet? Grazys, I don't suppose you can sense his spirit?

Moral Wiz
2008-04-01, 12:52 PM
Hist

At the sight of the insubstantial looking Reid rising, Hist smiled, and willed himself back into his body. It was unusual, but Hist didn't even notice, his happiness at the success was too great. His newly awakened body jumped up, with reactions it had learnt through long danger, but the warlock is soon fully conscious, and greeting the others.

Sorry for the delay. Just making sure everything was fine on the other side.

He saw the smiling Radiente and returned the look, shaking his hand for good measure.

Congratulations, Reid. Well done, and good to see you amongst the living still

GimliFett
2008-04-01, 01:07 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder closes his eyes a moment, apparently deep in concentration. Suddenly, they open wide and he looks around the temple, finally settling on the aasimar's newly risen form. "Yeah. He's fine, mate!" he grins. "So I take it things went well?"

Greyen
2008-04-01, 01:17 PM
Dothen

Dothen looks at the others. He grins as he steps toward Reid and Hist Even I can tell that something went right. Good job.

Toliudar
2008-04-01, 04:58 PM
Reid

Rising clankily to his feet, Reid still cannot stop grinning.

Hist, hi! It meant a lot that you came to keep an eye on me. You even...became a part of the test, actually.

It was simple. Terrifying. Beautiful. Not what tests of faith are made out to be - they're what they actually are, if that makes any sense whatsoever. I'm still...thinking about it.

Anyway, Rico is now safe, and secure on the other side of...well, on the other side. One down, however many to go.

He picks up his mace for a moment, considering its surface before sliding it into his pack.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-01, 05:07 PM
Hist

The warlock returned the priest's gaze, beaming, giving him a hand as he gets to his feet

Me, a part of the test? An example of how not to act, I assume. Perhaps a test of placing blind faith in others?

He winks as he speaks, and laughs.

Sounds like the type of thing worthy of tales. I'm glad you managed it. The darkness stretched all the way to the temple door, it even began to bled into the air. After the Father's words.. well, that... was a tad worrying.

So, where to now?

Toliudar
2008-04-01, 08:23 PM
Reid

The priest only laughs at Hist's self-deprecation.

You think the edges were worrisome?

But as for what next...It's still early morning. I'd like to take some time to pray and meditate on what the test showed me. Not much on the topic of averting the curse, by the way. Sorry. But perhaps, with different spells today, I might be able to make more of a difference. I thought I might head back to the inn to do so, and have that chat with the innkeeper.

Besides, if you really did want to try to liberate Mister Kjapp and his accoutrements, I suspect I'd only get in your way.

Greyen
2008-04-01, 10:32 PM
Dothen

Dothen stiffles a yawn Lets do that, its time fer me ta catch a cat nap any way. Shall we go?

Toliudar
2008-04-02, 12:33 AM
Reid

Reid is happy to accompany the others out into the sunshine. His voice is as soft and stealthy as it gets.

If we return to the hotel, it should be assumed that all four of us are remaining there.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-02, 04:43 AM
Hist

Indeed.

Hist is still smiling at the priest's attempt at stealth As the party turns a corner, he raises an idea of his own.

I wonder if our spirits still roam if we sleep during the day. It'd be the perfect way to spy on the jail, with minimal risk.

Toliudar
2008-04-02, 08:30 AM
Reid

Reid nodded at Hist's creative suggestion.

Well, perhaps Kjapp would know. Clearly, he's come up with some way to make it through two weeks - perhaps he sleeps during the day. If we headed back to the inn, you could then go, ah, inobtrusively and chat with him before going further?

GimliFett
2008-04-02, 09:17 AM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys hurries to catch up with the others when they had turned the corner and he had continued forward. "OY! I just remembered, there were two spirits just before dawn that seemed to disappear and spread out into whatever area they were in at the time. Sorta dissolved, eh? Whaddya think it means?" He asks with a puzzled look on his face.

Toliudar
2008-04-02, 12:51 PM
Reid

The priest shrugged, still beaming a bit, residually as it were.

The spirits described the state of simply ceasing to be, or at least to be awake and aware, when dawn came. Perhaps that's what happens to all of the spirits at dawn, but you happened to be closer and focused on those two at that time?

GimliFett
2008-04-02, 12:55 PM
Grazys Senneker

Grazys shakes his head. "No, no. This was before dawn! A good while before, too! It wasn't the same as when they went wherever they go when the sun comes up."

Moral Wiz
2008-04-02, 01:36 PM
Hist

Hist shrugged

Do you know where this was? I was in spirit form all through the night, and didn't see anything happen near the temple.

Still, if we can take spirit form during the day, we can take a look from the other side as it were.

Greyen
2008-04-02, 02:09 PM
Dothen

Dothen trudges along with the troops. Keeping an eye out for any strange reactions to the four of them, or any obvious changes in the attitudes of the populace. He is also looking for the dark haired female from the day before.

spot [roll0]

Toliudar
2008-04-02, 02:36 PM
Reid

Assuming we make it back to the inn unmolested.

Reid settles into a seated position against a wall.

The place I ended up after the test, Pelor's Light...it was remarkable. A place of serenity and healing, a place where things are what they are. I think I may be able to bring a little of that same feeling back here. To see past the seeming of some magics, and to better channel His energy into the body's natural ability to right itself. I...I wish I were a poet, to do the place justice.

Unless there are further demands on his services, he will start the process of praying and thinking about his recent experiences, and gathering new spell energies for what will doubtless be another fun-filled day.

Lochar
2008-04-02, 04:23 PM
Grazys:No, you're not certain of the location.

The dark haired lady Dothen looks for is not out and about on the streets this early in the morning. In fact, there are very few people this early after dawn.

GimliFett
2008-04-02, 04:50 PM
Grazys Senneker

Once the group seems to have settled down, into morning routines, Grazys takes a few monutes to bind the day's vestiges.

Binding Check - Andras (DC 22) [roll0]
Binding Check - Paimon (DC 20) [roll1]
Ooo. :smallbiggrin: I'll be a nasty little bastard with my rapier today! 'Course I'll end up not needing it, but that's okay! Knowing I would have been will be enough! :smalltongue:

Greyen
2008-04-02, 10:26 PM
Dothen

Back at the inn, Dothen excuses himself to the room. My turn for some shut eye. Wake me in a couple hours. Withtthat Dothen proceeds upstairs and into the bed. Where he swiftly lets sleep claim him.

Toliudar
2008-04-03, 05:53 PM
Reid

Pausing briefly in his prayers, Reid smiles at Grazys and Hist.

If you'd like to get some rest as well, of course, please feel free to do so. I'm not going anywhere. But if you'd rather stay awake, I'll be able to cure you of your fatigue in a little while, if that's helpful.

GimliFett
2008-04-03, 06:55 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder shrugs. "Meh. Sleep's overrated, right? There're a few things I'd like ta try an' track down, if possible. Wanna go shoppin'?" Grazys asks with his usual lop-sided grin.

Toliudar
2008-04-03, 10:52 PM
Reid

Reid shrugs.

Me and Him-

He points up.

- we're not done chatting yet. Lots to discuss, after last night. Besides, someone should wait here with Dothen. But if you're going shopping...

As quietly as he can manage, he pulls a lovely and lightweight shield out of his pack, and hands it to Grazys.

It's Mithral, beautifully made. See if you can get some small diamonds for it. With enough diamonds...I could make sure that what happened to Freeman doesn't happen again.

Greyen
2008-04-04, 04:15 PM
Dothen

Dothen awakens a few hours later. He stretches and looks around, nooding to his friends in turn. Well what's the plan for the day? His miscievous grin is in place.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-05, 02:09 AM
Hist

Hist smilled as he rose.

Well, I think we aught to spring Kjapp. I did tell him we would last night, poor guy must be a bit annoyed.

Greyen
2008-04-05, 02:49 AM
Dothen

You want to spring him while I provide a distraction? Maybe lead the guards on a merry chase through town? Or you want me there with you?

Moral Wiz
2008-04-05, 06:21 AM
Hist

Hist shrugged

Do whatever you think best. I'm.. not exactly experienced at this sort of thing. I can get Kjapp out myself, come hell or high water, assuming the guards don't all start chasing me immedietly, but if we're going to put the guy in danger, might be best to grab his kit too.

Greyen
2008-04-05, 06:25 AM
Dothen

Well lets head over there and scope out the situation, first thing. Then we adjust accordingly. Dothen says as he finishes strapping on his assorted weapons, rechecking the "peacebonds". He then heads outside of the inn.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-05, 06:32 AM
Hist

Hist, on the other hand, opens the window, and sticks his head out, seemingly to get a bit of air. After a few seconds, he ducks back into the room, calling up his spells of invisibility and flight, before flying out of the room towards the jail.

Greyen
2008-04-05, 06:37 AM
Dothen

Dothen heads into town, finding a convienient place to sli pinto unseen to fade into the shadow to watch the guardhouse in and get a good full round view of it.

Lochar
2008-04-05, 09:13 AM
The guardhouse is a somewhat large building, as seen before is made completely of stone that does not seem to be stacked blocks, but instead one piece of stone.

▓▓▓▓░▓▓▓▓▓
▓ ▓
▓ ▓
▓ ▓
▓ ▓
▓ ▓
▓ ▓
▒ ▒
▓ ▓
▒ K▒
▓ ▓
▓ ▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

K is Kjapp.
░ is the front door, the door does not have any normal door handle on it.
▒ are windows into cells.

Greyen
2008-04-05, 09:31 AM
Dothen

Dothen scales a nearby builing and sticking to the shadows begins to take a quick headcount of guards. He also looks around for the more deserted portion of town.

Are there enough shadows around to maintain HiPS?

Looking for guardsmen that are out and about.

Look for a building nearby that is desserted and unused.

Lochar
2008-04-05, 09:37 AM
Dothen:
As long as your within 10' of shadows, you can hide. Literally. So as long as you're within 10' of a building, you're hidden. It does extend to where you can walk 10' away from a person and use their shadow to hide in.

Out and about guards that you can see number about six or so. There could be more in the guard house, there could be some already at the walls.

The local area isn't as highly trafficked as the rest of the town, probably because there is the guardhouse here. You can find an unused building about three to four blocks from the guardhouse.

Greyen
2008-04-05, 09:48 AM
Dothen

More scouting happens quickly. Dothen checks out the abandoned building a few blocks south making sure that it is truly abandoned. Inside the building Dothen also looks for combustibles. He will also check the distance from this building to any others nearby. Once finished he will go to the window of Kjapps cell and wait for Hist. Assuming that Hist is invisible he will wait for Hist to start talking to Kjapp or vice versa.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-05, 09:54 AM
Hist

Hist swoops around the city a few times, still invisible, looking for where the other guards are positioned, how attentive they seem and if any of the settlers could represent a physical threat (Such as particularly strong, or any who seem to be mages (Or at least, anyone who seemed to be carrying possible spell components.))

[roll0] Spot check for all that.

Lochar
2008-04-05, 10:03 AM
Dothen:

The building is unused, and there are no combustibles. It has the look of a small warehouse, and there are buildings nearby it as well. One looks used but no one there, another empty as well.

Hist:
There are four guards at the gate you all came in, and two guards each at two other smaller gates.

You don't see anyone that would pose a considerable threat.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-05, 10:10 AM
Hist

After a few circuits of the town (Both for the purpose of scouting, and for his own pleasure at being able to stretch his wings), the warlock descended to Kjapp's window.

Hello?

He whispered into the cell; if Kjapp had been taken, the guard hopefully wouldn't remember anything, and that would give him away.

Hopefully.

Greymist
2008-04-05, 11:05 AM
Inside the cell you see the sleeping form of Kjapp which doesn't stir when you whisper.

Listen [roll0] to notice the whisper and wake up.
Base DC15 for a person whispering and -10 (which I forgot to subtract) for sleeping so not, he doesn't wake up.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-05, 11:36 AM
Hist

Hello?

Hist repeats himself, calmly, five more times, trying to wake up Kjapp before considering another option..

Greyen
2008-04-05, 12:36 PM
Dothen

Dothen whispers to Hist I'm here. Want me to try the front door? Or raise a ruckus?

Moral Wiz
2008-04-05, 12:43 PM
Hist

The warlock twitches slightly at the unseen Dothen's greeting.

I'm tempted to port in first, take a look around, and give you better directions for his gear, before we get this show on the road. But that could go belly up easily. In case it does, But I'd prefer it if our friend here could wake up firs5t. Last thing we need is someone who's only half conscious.

Greyen
2008-04-05, 01:04 PM
Dothen

Seems a good plan, if nothing else youc an port out up to the roof and fly off. Why'nt you go in and give'm a slap? Mebbe that'll wake him up.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-05, 01:30 PM
Hist

The warlock chuckles at Dothen's suggestion

Tempting. But they'd hear it. And I feel kind of responsible for the poor guy right now. I'd bet he didn't sleep last night, assuming we'd come and help him.

Still....

He double checked his gear, making sure he had Reid's fly, and the Healer's dagger before finding a nice dark spot that'd hide the brief image of himself that this spell would create. Then, he used his magic to enter the cell.

He looked around for a few seconds, trying to see as much of the station as he could (Before using his mystic sight to see a little more.)

Then, he touched Kjapp's sholder, very gently, just enought to wake him as e whispered into the man's ear.

Stay there, but be ready. Sorry, this took a little longer than expected.

Greyen
2008-04-05, 02:13 PM
Dothen

Dothen keeps watch for his friend making sure no one i the street notices their actions. If anyone comes Dothen hisses so that Hist can hear him but not the person on the street. If there is trouble Dothen has his sap in hand.

Lochar
2008-04-05, 02:41 PM
Hist:

▓▓▓▓░▓▓▓▓▓
▓ ▓
▓ ▓
▓ ▓
▓ ▓
▓▓▓▓dd▓▓▓▓
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▒ ░ ░ ▒
▓▓▓▓ ▓▓▓▓
▒ ░ ░ K▒
▓ ▓ ▓ ▓
▓▓▓▓DD▓▓▓▓
▓ ▓
▓ ▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
You can see out of Kjapp's cell and across from his is another. To your left from the cell, there are two very heavy, several feet thick metal doors. One of the doors is slightly open, and to your mystic seeing eyes, that is where the glow is coming from.

DD is heavy metal doors.

dd is heavy wooden doors.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-05, 03:01 PM
Hist

Can I see to the right? What's there?

Leaving Kjapp for a moment, Hist moves over to the window, and whispers to Dothen

I'd place his kit in the back of the building. There's a set of iron doors there, and one's ajar. Can't tell you what else's there.

As to the front, well, there's a set of wooden doors, prety heavy, but not that tough. Can't see what's past them, but there's another pair of cells between us and them. I'm guessing the front room is on the other side. Not that fancy.

One good thing though, is that none of them has a view of the cell from the frount as far as I can tell.

Even so, this could go bad. One thing; I assume you don't want to go out through the frount door. Running into the guards might not be fun Do you want me to leave the lock on this cell broken? That way, you could get out via the cell.

Lochar
2008-04-05, 03:05 PM
Map updated.

Greymist
2008-04-05, 03:13 PM
Kjapp's eyes creep open and he takes in the scene, processing the voice he heard in his ear before doing anything.

He slowly sits up on the bed working the kinks out of his body but not standing up.

Lochar: I assume it will have been less than 8 hours so I'll leave the cleric spells scratched off my list?

Moral Wiz
2008-04-05, 03:14 PM
My post updated.

Greyen
2008-04-05, 03:30 PM
Dothen

They won't find me if I do run into them. Any magic junk in there that I need to worry about?

Lochar
2008-04-05, 03:32 PM
Kjapp:
Correct, and besides, you don't have the hour for prayer it would take to update spells anyways.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-05, 03:33 PM
Hist

A few minor canitrips, most of which are for opening the doors. A load beyond the door. Some'll be Kjapp's kit, but some might not be. Nothing else I could see.

Are we ready to go?

Right?

Lochar
2008-04-05, 03:35 PM
Dothen:
AFAIK, you're still outside the cell. Are you planning on getting inside it?

Hist:There are more auras in the room behind the metal doors that are not cantrips..

Greyen
2008-04-06, 12:22 AM
Still outside, yes. And I will be changing that soon.

Dothen

Whispering for Hist and Kjapp's ears You too are doing fine. No one coming yet. Might want to get to work on the getting out part soon though. Even on a caper Dothen is sarcastic.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-06, 12:43 AM
Hist

Hist smiles, and pulls out the healer's dagger.

Ok. Any distraction you had planed though, would be appreciated.

With that, assuming Dothen would set to work on distracting the guards, Hist reappeared, and started to go to work on the bars with the combination of adamantine, and magic.

Greyen
2008-04-06, 01:15 AM
Dothen

Gotcha, be right back. Dothen moves down the street a ways and up the side of the abandoned building. On the roof he pours out 2 bottles of oil, marking the spot so he can hit it with an alchemist's fire from a few houses away.

Then quickly he moves a few houses away and throws an alchemist's fire at the patch of oil. Once the oil is burning nicely making a big cloud of smoke, Dothen waits a moment before yelling from one of the roofs FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!. He then legs it back to the jail cell.

Greymist
2008-04-06, 02:46 AM
Kjapp

Kjapp stands up and slowly pads over to Hist before whispering.

I'll keep a look out by the door

After which he moves to the cell door to watch and listen for guards.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Moral Wiz
2008-04-06, 05:19 AM
Hist

Ok, let's see how long it takes.

[roll0] Dagger
[roll1] Blast

[roll2] Dagger
[roll3] Blast

[roll4] Dagger
[roll5] Blast

[roll6] Dagger
[roll7] Blast

[roll8] Dagger
[roll9] Blast

[roll10] Dagger
[roll11] Blast

[roll12] Dagger
[roll13] Blast

Greyen
2008-04-06, 09:09 AM
Dothen

Dothen moves in hiding around to the front of the building there he checks the front door, if guards aren't pouring out of it yet he will pound on the door and yell HELP FIRE! FIRE! Trying to mimic the accent if it would show in a yell for help.

If guards are already pouring out he will put a pebble in the crack of the door keeping it from shutting all of the way and latching.

Lochar
2008-04-06, 10:10 AM
Round one: As Greyen shouts about the fire and comes around to check on the door of the guardhouse, Hist starts to work on the cell doors.

Round two: Three guards come out of the guardhouse and see the smoke. Cursing, two of them take off towards the smoke, while the third ducks back into the building. Hist has managed to cut probably half of the bars down, but not enough to allow someone through.

Round three: Hist has nearly completely demolished the bars and someone could squeeze through and get out. Hist and Kjapp hear a heavy lock being undone from the wooden door.

OOC:
Stopping here to allow reactions.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-06, 10:17 AM
Hist

The warlock allowed himself a smile as the bars began to fall, but it turned to a grimase as he heard the door move.

Oh sh....

He strode over to Kjapp, and whispered hard.

Go!

With that, Hist shoves Kjapp in the direction of the window, whilst quickly working on reactivating his invisibility spell.

Greyen
2008-04-06, 10:22 AM
Dothen

Dothen ducks into the building, before the door closes all the way, swiftly staying behind and careful of the guards who may be inside. Stepping out of the way of the door he quickly examines the room.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]
Spot [roll2]
Listen[roll3]

Lochar
2008-04-06, 10:50 AM
Round four:

Dothen:
The room is laid out with several desks, and two racks against the walls where weapons would hang. There are currently three swords hanging there. The room is otherwise empty of items.

Across the room, you see two guards opening a lock on a set of heavy wooden doors. As they get the door unlocked, one walks through while the other keeps the key in the lock.

Hist & Kjapp:

Kjapp can manage to get through the window as the door opens and Hist fades out of view.

Hist:
A guard comes running down the hall, not even paying Kjapp's cell any attention. He passes by the cell and heads into the back room.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-06, 11:05 AM
Hist

Hist wavers for a moment, before leaving the cell with Kjapp. Still he drops a copper piece as he leaves, hoping to distract the guard for a moment, now that Kjapp's escape seems assured.

Let Dothen do his job. He's damn good at it as a rule. No matter what this means, he can deal with it.

Still invisible, he whispers

Come on; I think we need to get out of here.

He places the figurine of the fly on the ground, and speaks the command word Reid had told him. At that, the fly grew to it's full size, reigns and all.

Get on. It flies. Steer it over the walls, but avoid guards. I'll be following.

Greyen
2008-04-06, 11:41 AM
Dothen

Dothen examines the room for a moment and takes his time slipping past the guard through the open door, careful to not touch anyone or anything. He follows the other guard down the hall, silent and amazed at his new hidey powers.

Greymist
2008-04-06, 03:54 PM
Kjapp

Kjapp dives through the window while listening at the same time for any guard alerts to his escape, when offered the fly he hesitates for a moment, looking down at his feet, then gingerly hops on.

Right he nods in Hist's direction.

Then wills the fly 100 feet into the air and over towards one of the town walls which looks bare at the moment.

Spot: [roll0]

Lochar
2008-04-07, 09:10 AM
With the distraction of the smoking building, Kjapp can successfully get away from the town, although probably not without being seen, but the guards have other things on their mind at the moment.

Dothen:

As you follow the man into the room, you see him grab a decanter sitting on a shelf and then run back out of the room.

The room you followed the guard into looks to be a storage room of some type. There are several chests with heavy locks on them, and also shelves with items sitting on them.

Greyen
2008-04-07, 09:33 AM
Dothen

Swearing silently to himself Dothen looks for labels on any of the chests before waiting for the guards to finish locking up. Once the outer door is locked he will listen at the door for a moment, if it is quiet he will the begin to rummage through the stuff in the room. Open locks and looking into each chest if necessary. Looking for any set of items that would outfit a person completely or anything tagged/bagged as a prisoners kit.

Toliudar
2008-04-07, 10:07 AM
Reid

Back at the inn, Reid prays hard for the safety of his two friends.

Lochar
2008-04-07, 02:02 PM
Dothen:
There are three chests total, and as expected, you only find the items Kjapp said belonged to him in the third chest you look into. By the time you're able to get into the chest, the door you came through is closed, an quiet sliding of doors. Checking the doors, you do not find any handles or keyholes on this side. There are no windows, and any light you have is the only light in the room now.

There are a good number of other interesting items in the other chests and on the shelves, I'll list them if you wish.

Greyen
2008-04-07, 02:53 PM
Dothen

Dothen quickly puts all of Kjapp's gear into his Haversack or whatever it will fit into easily before reclosing that chest. Then he will do a quick inventory of the room seeing what may or may not be missed and what is on the back shelves and what is prominently displayed (ie. missed). Dothen is in the vault and somethings are too hard to resist for the poor soldier. :smallfrown:

Yes please list them! :smallbiggrin:

Lochar
2008-04-07, 03:21 PM
Dothen:

Chest 1: a pair of goggles, a gray bag, a small pouch, two coiled ropes tied off seperately, various mundane equipment, and a well made set of studded leather

Chest 2: various paint sticks and canvas, a block of incense, and a large sealed jar of paint.

Chest 3: Kjapp's stuff

Shelves: Four well made longswords, several more longswords of varying degrees of use, a set of leather armor that has a sheen to it, and hidden under black cloth is a set of banded mail with a bunch of gems embedded into it.

Greyen
2008-04-07, 06:44 PM
Dothen

Dothen examines what is the most missable. What things look like they have been here the longest? Which things will leave a noticable dust ring around them if removed? Dothen also takes a moment after Kjapp's stuff is safely packed away in his pack to rearrange his disquise to resemble a half-orc female. He is thinking he has about 15 minutes in the cell before they come back.

After that he begins with the weapons, examining them for identifying markings, exceptional balance etc. Then the armor and the goggles. Then on to the other stuff. Messing around with looking for command words if it looks like it might be magical.

Lochar
2008-04-07, 06:55 PM
Dothen:
So, you're basically touching everything?

And everything in here has no dust. No signs of cleaning, but no dust as well. Probably because this room is sealed, there's nothing to create dust.

Greyen
2008-04-07, 10:25 PM
Touching everything with gloves on or with a dagger point if it looks wierd, except the jeweled banded mail. That has no use to Dothen. The swords are of most interest as are the goggles.

Lochar
2008-04-08, 07:57 AM
Dothen:
Everything you touch looks to be in good condition, with the exception of a few of the longswords which have pits and rust spots on them. Nothing is obviously magical, but since several of the things are material, they're either new or have had magical resistance to the effects of time.

Greyen
2008-04-08, 08:01 AM
Dothen

Dothen pokes around, sighing to himself. These may be tools of people who live here. Tools of defense for the settlement. Despite his natural greed his better nature takes hold and he simply waits next to the door, hidden for the return of the guardsmen.

Not taking anything he shouldn't.

Lochar
2008-04-08, 08:20 AM
Stuffing the goggles into your bag, you have a ten or so minute wait, then light appears as the door opens, the guard swinging the door open wide and walking back in. He places a still wet decanter on the shelf and leaves, grumbling to himself. "Wonder who gave the cry?"

You can easily follow him out while hiding.

Greyen
2008-04-08, 08:34 AM
Dothen

Dothen slips out of the building and into the street. He then proceeds back to the inn. Slipping in through the open window. Once there he sits down on the bed and appears shaking his head. I could have robbed them blind. Reid this is your fault you know. Making me be a good person and all. Its not fair.

Toliudar
2008-04-08, 10:14 AM
Reid

Only half-understanding what has transpired, and still flush with relief at Dothen's return, Reid simply smiles, and shifts to sit next to Dothen on the bed. After a contemplative moment, he adds.

Sounds like I'm not the only one finding some light today.

It sounds like everything went well. Hist and Kjapp are safe?

Greymist
2008-04-08, 04:17 PM
Kjapp

Once a1/4 mile out of the town Kjapp lands the flying beast and then jogs along side it for another 1/4 mile.

After Hist catches up and indicates his prescence:

Sorry about my pace, I just really had to stretch my legs, I haven't had the chance to in over two weeks now.

He hands the reins of the hippogriff back to Hist.

It may be a bad time to bring it up, but I was wondering if you could ask your friends whether I could travel with you when you leave the town? After this experience I'm not sure I want to travel to the interior alone.

I don't require a horse and my tracking skills and wilderness skills may come in useful if not my jail breaking skills.

Kjapp grins wryly at the last statement.

He was jogging at a sedate 150ft/round

Greyen
2008-04-08, 11:04 PM
Dothen

Dothen looks up at Reid ans says I do not know, I think they got away. No alarm was raised about them fleeing but then again the guardsmen had other problems. But now its time to go down stairs and wait for Hist to come back. Dothen will stand and stretch before resettling his old soldier face on and head down stairs. There he will find the land lord and ask You mind if I play a little music for a bit?

Toliudar
2008-04-09, 12:32 AM
Reid

The priest works very hard not to think about what the guardsmen might have been busy with, and to trust his friend.

He too heads down to the main floor of the inn, seeking out the man who had spoken so cryptically to him yesterday. Once Dothen has finished speaking with him, Reid smiles.

Sir, my apologies for not returning as I had offered last night. We spent the night in prayer at the temple. I would be delighted to offer you some of Pelor's bounty this morning, if that is convenient. And then, perhaps, we can speak more, as you had promised.

If the innkeeper is ready and willing, Reid will bring the food and water gifts of Pelor to suitable containers.

When the innkeeper's lined up a basin, barrel, or some such, Reid will cast Create water there, and follow it up with Create Food and Water in the kitchen area.

Lochar
2008-04-09, 07:33 AM
The innkeep nods to Dothen. "Sure. A bit of music always makes the place nicer to be in."

To Reid, he smiles slightly. "I've got plenty of empty larders and kegs if you're wishing to fill them, good priest. And then yes, I would like to talk with you."

Once Reid has cast the spells, the innkeep will direct Reid to a small room in the back. The room has a single table and four chairs around it. He sits in one and waves to the others. "Have a seat."

Toliudar
2008-04-09, 07:57 AM
Reid

After the kegs and larder have been filled - well, at least slightly replenished - Reid does indeed sit.

Sir, I understand a bit of your, ah, discretion in our conversation last night. The priests have given me a little background on the curse, and the solution of the merged souls. We were even able to help Rico find peace.

I'm interested to hear what your experience of the sharing has been like? Do either of you regret it?

Moral Wiz
2008-04-09, 08:03 AM
Hist

The warlock is rather out of breath by the time he manages to catch up with the supprisingly fast Kjapp

Please... don't... do... that.... again....

he pants, reappearing, and sagging down on the dead ground.

Well, that could have gone worse. Sorry about not springing you at night by the way, but we found out that there were... other eyes watching.

He smiled, and extended a hand

Thanks for the warning by the way; without it we would just have fallen down to sleep. We might have been easy prey. As it is, Dothen should have grabbed your kit as I was cutting the bars. You should have it back soon.

As to joining us... well, we're mixed up in somthing a bit more than simple exploration. But that's a tale for another time. First, I'd like you to tell me everything you know about the town, and it's spirits, since you arrived there. They... probably are tied to another factor.

Lochar
2008-04-09, 08:05 AM
The innkeep's face slacks slightly, and the accent has disappeared when he speaks. Ain't that bad. Granted, it'd be a lot better if there were people on the land again, but the damnable curse makes it to where not many want to come. I came to Auromar to start a new life, but you see what the land looks like. The only life here is us. I'm Kalamar, by the way."

The accent returns. "We share easily enough, as you see. Kalamar understands the need to be seen as one of the townsfolk at most times though. I am glad for Rico though. That one of us has managed to break free of the curse is wonderful. As for any regrets we may have about our sharing, well..."

"I'm not married, and there are several good looking women here in town, single. And Bozo here" "Boris" the innkeep sighs. "Bozo here won't date any of 'em, because his wife is still a spirit."

Greyen
2008-04-09, 08:44 AM
Dothen

Dothen will play quietly to himself, not skilled but something to listen to. If a few people gather he will increase the volume and play some more upbeat songs. As more people come he will do his best to keep them entertained, while playing with his tiny amount of skill, and trying to offset it with a little flourish of dancing and sleight of hand.

Perform :Flute [roll0] -Yeah! I haz the skillzorz!
Perform: Dance [roll1] - And look more! :smallbiggrin:
Sleight of hand [roll2] I will return thrown items to the owner.

Lochar
2008-04-09, 11:19 AM
Your flute ability draws something of a crowd for a moment, if only to laugh.

Toliudar
2008-04-09, 01:28 PM
Reid

Reid nods sympathetically, thinking of his self-imposed separation from his own "spirit" bride.

Clearly, the curse weighs heavily on the entire continent. But, aside from more fertile ground and more settlers, you are content? What of those who did not choose this life, but had it imposed on them?

Greyen
2008-04-09, 02:05 PM
Dothen

Dothen seeing that he is playing off key and out of tune, getting jeers and laughter will modify his little show to be a musically accompanied tumbling and sleight of hand show. More to entertain himself than anything, bu tupping the laughter in this dreery place is worth while too.

Lochar
2008-04-09, 02:26 PM
The innkeep shrugs. "From what I know, some wanted to just find a new home, some wanted to continue exploring. No one's left though."

"We can't, actually. They won't speak of it, but with a body, they can leave the town, but the further away we get, the weaker we get. Doesn't matter who, either. Guards, us, any of the others."

Greymist
2008-04-09, 04:19 PM
Kjapp

The spirits....well. For me, it happened like this; most nights when I fell asleep I would awake as a spirit, I could see my body lying in the cot with a whispy thread connecting it to my spirit self.

The first night I was visited by a young boy who's thread looked to be broken and he told me not to leave my body, I'm damn glad that I lisitened to him. In the last two weeks I've been both visited and attacked by other spirits, some of them attacked me directly, others went straight for the life cord

Kjapp raises a hand and taps on his chest above his heart

Last night though was the worst so far, three spirits who I had seen before appeared before me, they said they were sick of waiting and that they would take my body whether I resist or not.

His eyes unfocus for a moment

At least they set a gauntlet for me rather than attacking all at once, I knocked out two of them at which point their bodies seemed to fall apart and vanish. The third one, who called himself Hsin, after seeing that I could at least stand against his initial flurry left me and said he would be the first one to face me the next time I appeared in the spirit.

The spirits were strangely honourable for ones wanting to take my body, Hsin spoke of a need to defend the town from others who would take what they have, he said As it always was before, it shall always be now. We who protect the town must be able to do so

He offers a hand to pull the panting Hist to his feet

Toliudar
2008-04-09, 04:38 PM
Reid

The priest leans forward, concerned.

That's very generous of you, Kalamar. To give up your explorations to stay with Boz - Boris. A tribute to the kind-heartedness of all the new explorers, I'm sure. Blessings to you all.

He pauses to think.

I take it that, regardless of which of you is speaking, both of you are seeing and hearing this conversation? But only one of you can respond at a time. Are there any that have tried to more completely merge their consciousnesses, to make one person of the two personalities?

Also, are there any in the town who have chosen to stay, but who have declined to take on a spirit?

Just in case, Sense Motive [roll0] to confirm that there's no further evasion or deception in their answers.

Lochar
2008-04-10, 09:12 AM
The innkeep thinks for a moment, then shrugs. "I don't think anyone thinks alike enough to make one person outta two. But yeah, we can both hear you regardless of who's talking."

"As for not having a spirit, I don't think anyone here doesn't have one. The guards probably make sure of that. Minus you all, of course. But I wouldn't put it past the guards to try to keep you here until you do."

He's being honest.

Toliudar
2008-04-10, 09:33 AM
Reid

Reid nods.

Duly noted, Boris. I will hope that the guards are more patient and circumspect, then. The four of us have business that would be inconsistent with remaining here - noble though the work you do here is.

If all goes well, I will no doubt see you again later today. I may then be able to provide further provisions, Pelor willing.

Briefly grasping the man's hand, Reid walks back out into the main chamber of the inn, where he shakes his head appreciatively at Dothen's one-man variety show. He tries to catch the soldier's eye, glancing upwards towards their room, and then returns to their assigned chamber.

Greyen
2008-04-10, 09:53 AM
Dothen

Dothen catches the jugs he was juggling and sets them down on the tables near by before bowing to his audience of two. He then follows Reid up the stairs into their shared rooms.

Toliudar
2008-04-10, 10:21 AM
Reid

Nodding to Dothen as he enters, Reid shrugs and gestures to another bed.

I spoke with Boris downstairs. I feel that most of the paired townsfolk are at least content with their lot. The guards are different, but I continue to mull over what to do about those - especially since there's no indication that, even if we were able to force a guard's spirit out of its host body, that the other spirit remains to regain control of its life.

Boris also mentioned that any of the joined townsfolk get weak as they leave the town boundaries. This means that we'd be safe spending the nights well out of town, I think. But it also means that the guards won't be happy to see us leave.

If Hist has gotten Kjapp out of town, and returns, perhaps we should wait for word from Hist and all think of some inobtrusive manner to explore further outside. I'd like to see, first, how the guards respond if we simply try to walk out.

Your thoughts?

Greyen
2008-04-10, 11:59 AM
Dothen

Dothen sits on his bunk thinking, Hmm. Dunno really. The curse in this area needs to be broken so these folks can live a decent life. The land won't support them with out the curse being broken. I think we need to break the curse on these folks, sending the other spirits on to their judgement so that the living breathing people can get on with their lives. Sharing a life sounds like a tiny perpetual hell to me. These folks made it out here whole enough through the cursed forest, I think that they will be fine with out the spirits of the guards possessing them. Dothen pauses taking out his mug, he taps the side and it fills with ale. Sipping it he says All of this I get from listening to you and Grazys chatting with Hist. I really think that these spirits need ta pass on. They may have been cut short once, but that does not entitle them to finsish their lives by walking in another's skin.

Toliudar
2008-04-10, 01:01 PM
Reid

Reid nods, a bit sadly.

"A tiny perpetual hell?" Clearly, my friend, you are not the marrying kind.

There's wisdom in your words, Dothen. At the same time "entitlement" is a difficult concept. I carry the dagger of a Battlefield healer.

He puts a hand to...an empty boot sheath.

Oh, right. Hist. Well, I usually do. Anyway, one of their guiding principles is to start any healing by ensuring that their actions do no additional harm. Seems like not a bad place for us to start as well.

I'm not sure I feel comfortable in the role of judge of these spirits - to say that they have no right to whatever life they can negotiate for themselves. Certainly, I would be happy to help those who wish to pass on do so - Matthew, one of the four spirits we, um, befriended last night.

There is a blush of guilt, and he continues.

He was ready to pass on. There might be other conjoined spirits who would do the same, if they had a choice. But for others...do we have the right to dictate their lives, or their hosts?

Even the guards. They have done what I would consider an appalling thing - to take away the body and spirit of another. But they did so in order to fulfill their role as guardians. In the same situation, you as a soldier might have done the same thing. Can I say with confidence that I wouldn't? Pfffffff.

He releases his breath slowly.

And if we can't find a way to lift their curse? At the very least, we can send word back to Anura in Eras, get lines of trade and supplies coming through. Then, anyone else who comes, comes with foreknowledge of the town's curse, and they enter the town only with foreknowledge of the dangers.

Greyen
2008-04-10, 01:14 PM
Dothen

Dothen looks at his friend On this I think we may never agree. Once a person is killed, not dead of natural causes mind you, but killed. What happens to their spirits?

Toliudar
2008-04-10, 06:33 PM
Reid

Reid purses his lips.

Well, tradition holds that creatures whose spirits have self-knowledge transcend this place. There is significant difference of opinion as to two possibilities: either that they ascend to a place where they become a purer version of themselves, ultimately merging with the energy of that place, or else that they go there for a period of reflection, after which they return in a new form. Unless of course, as we have done with both Siriphae and Freeman, that cycle is broken and a spirit is directly returned to earth - either to its original body, or to a new form.

As far as I can tell, these people's lives were cut short by an act of evil, and not by any of their own doing. They were prevented from passing on to a spirit realm, and have made the best of a bad situation. In this, they are not at all dissimilar to the choices that Freeman and Siriphae have made.

I ask only to understand, my friend: you seem to think that once someone's body no longer works, they lose the right to live. Does this mean that, if you die in the course of our rather perilous activities, you do not wish to be revived?

There is no trace of malice in Reid's voice, only intense interest.

Greyen
2008-04-10, 10:19 PM
Dothen

No, no, no. Bring me back I'm not done kicking and screaming yet.

When someone is brought back, they get to use their old body right? Or a new one? Not someone elses correct? Thats my big catching point here Reid. Two folks, one set of legs is no good for either of them. Sooner or later one of them is going to want to go and get married to a nice girl or something and the other likes boys. Two spirits were not meant to sit in one body.

I remember stories as a child, of Malikar the Body Thief. A body snatcher wizard who traded bodies as he went. Only those of the purest heart were able to resist being thrown from their own body. Eventually he went to burn in the deepest part of the Abyss.

This whole bit about making the best of what's happened is wrong to me. They are dead. End of story. Sorry they were cut short. Too bad. Their time is past, time for new folks to walk. Time for the dead to move on to their well deserved rest. What does your Pelor say about it? Are two souls supposed to inhabit one body?

Aren't you all supposed to exorcise one if a child has an extra spirit that making her talk and behave funny?

Toliudar
2008-04-10, 11:12 PM
Reid

Reid grins.

I believe that's with the assumption that the spirit is that of a fiend of some kind.

I understand what you're saying, Dothen, but can you really say that you'd have done anything different, given the choice? To have spent years, a timeless time, trapped as a spirit...what would you give for another chance to breathe? To laugh? To love? Even if the love is tainted, confusing, complicated? I may not admire the spirits for the choices they've made - but I can certainly understand them.

I suppose all of this is moot, at least until we come up with some way to at least have a chance to put the spirits to rest. If we are able to lift the curse entirely, they may indeed all go on to the next place. Or, perhaps, enough of them will choose to let go of this life that there will be enough unclaimed forms for the rest.

Greyen
2008-04-11, 12:44 AM
Dothen

So no matter what we are back to square one here. How is the curse to be broken in this town? Especially if all of the bits of it are tied up in the spirits. Is there a way to bring the light of Pelor to the spirits to give them a doorway to go through?

Toliudar
2008-04-11, 06:04 AM
Reid

Reid nodded sadly.

There are many ways to bring Pelor's light, literally, to this place. I suspect, however, that none will have the same effect as his own sunrays. And even if they did, they would only cause the spirits to dissipate for a short time.

There are things to be tried, although I suspect that the priests here have already tried some fo them. The removal of curses and diseases is pretty standard fare for those of my training - perhaps something of that sort will assist. Grazys had said something about a spirit dissipating oddly, before dawn this morning. That may have a clue. Conversations with Kjapp may reveal something of how he evaded the spirits for so long.

He shrugged.

The light will come.

Greyen
2008-04-11, 06:12 AM
Dothen

Dothen shakes his head sadly I dunno at this point Reid. All I know is that the only way for me to help relieve the curse here is to murder all of the poeple. And that is not an option. But someone like the Scolar may just do that to scoop up the curse energy that binds them here. We need to prevent that from happening. Maybe Hist will have an idea when he gets back from escorting Kjapp.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-11, 06:31 AM
Hist

meanwhile, the warlock nods, whirlst rising, accepting Kjapp's hand greatfully.

That explains somthing Grazys said

I'll confess though, that I'm more curious about the boy. Can you discribe him at all better than that? Was it usual for the spirits' cords to be broken in that way?

After an answer, Hist looks back at the town.

I should be returning. There is still much to do. I should be back again before nightfall. Hopefully, I can answer any questions then

Oh, and if you want to be useful..

Hist turned, and winked at the newly free Kjapp

The spirits we talked to referenced the fact that the Priests of Pyg... I mean, the One, who were here before the curse, left the town before it fell. They seemed to know what was going to happen.

They probably didn't rome far before they died. It's a bit of a streatch, but you might be able to locate their bodies. That might help us learn how to break this spirit effect.

with that, Hist gestured, and disappeared, before he departed on his unseen wings, and headed back to the town.

Sorry about the delay in posting. I've been up since midnight (my time). I'll join you guys in the inn after an answer from Greymist.

Greymist
2008-04-11, 07:18 AM
Kjapp

Thinking back on it actually I would call him more of a young man than young boy, unfortunately I don't recall many details of him other than the warning, he ran off through a wall shortly after.

He lowers his head for a moment thinking.

Only the young man who gave the warning had the cord exiting over their heart. Everyone else, including those who attacked me last night did not.

I'll definitely have a look around the outskirts of the town, it's the least I can do, where and when should I meet with you again though?

As Hist vanishes Kjapp sets off examining the ground for long dead corpses though also keeping an eye on the town for guards.

Since Hist asked me to do it, after any conversation he'll do a circle of the town I'll roll the checks a few times to notice any bodies.

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Survival: [roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

BTW, cause I'm bored, what's the weather like for the next few days :P [roll10]

Lochar: Is there any more information I should remember and let Hist know?

Lochar
2008-04-11, 07:50 AM
Kjapp:
Only the one person that warned you had the broken thread. The rest of the spirits, like those who attacked you, did not.

Weather will be rainy for the next few days.

You don't find any bodies. Then again, a thousand years have passed since the curse struck. Anything biological would have decomposed and blown away on the wind since then.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-11, 08:14 AM
Kjapp

Thinking back on it actually I would call him more of a young man than young boy, unfortunately I don't recall many details of him other than the warning, he ran off through a wall shortly after.

He lowers his head for a moment thinking.

Only the young man who gave the warning had the cord exiting over their heart. Everyone else, including those who attacked me last night did not.

I'll definitely have a look around the outskirts of the town, it's the least I can do, where and when should I meet with you again though?

As Hist vanishes Kjapp sets off examining the ground for long dead corpses though also keeping an eye on the town for guards.

Since Hist asked me to do it, after any conversation he'll do a circle of the town I'll roll the checks a few times to notice any bodies.

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Survival: [roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]

BTW, cause I'm bored, what's the weather like for the next few days :P [roll10]

Lochar: Is there any more information I should remember and let Hist know?

Hist

Interesting.

Don't worry. The guards won't be searching, and I'll have time to kill. I can find you.

The bodies is a longshot, but still.... if the curse killed everything, it should hopefully kill most6 of the bacteria responcible for decomposition, right? (I'm not a biologist, so I don't know, but still

After a while, the assembled group can hear a light knocking on the window. Upon opening it, Hist entered.

Kjapp's safe and sound. He's outside the town by quite a long margin, and he's one damn good runner. Even if they could leave, the guards wouldn't be able to keep up with him. I know I couldn't.

He laughed, and paused for a moment, remembering the incident. Then his smile faded, as he remembered the situation.

So..

he leans back against one of the walls, putting most of his weight on it.

What do we do now?

GimliFett
2008-04-11, 01:17 PM
Grazys Senneker

"Party? Everyone needs a good party now and then. We get the whole town drunk and then see what we can find out!" Entering right as Hist asks his question, the binder offers with his characteristic grin. Grazys closes the door behind him and slips his haversack off his shoulders and around in front of him.

He rummages through it for a moment and pulls out a sack. Tossing it to Reid he nods. "Pretty good deal there. Got seven." He also pulls out his darkwood shield and sets it on an empty bed then places his rapier next to it. He draws two crystals from his belt pouch. The first is a blue sapphire cut into a large cabachon. A small flint arrowhead can be seen within it. "This'll help against ranged stuff somewhat," he says as he affixes it to his shield and replaces it in his pack. The second crystal is a perfect sphere that seems to emit a faint white glow. He affixes this one to the pomel of his rapier. "Got a nice little surprise for our friend tha summoner's friends next we meet! Fiendslayer crystal." A sly smile creeps across his face as he replaces the rapier on his belt.

Setting his haversack on the floor next to the bed, Grazys leans back against the wall and folds his arms across his chest. "Well, ya two're here, so I assume things went pretty well, eh?"

Toliudar
2008-04-11, 02:01 PM
Reid

After waiting for Dothen and Hist to share their tales of derring-do, Reid beams.

Beautifully done, both of you. And Hist, you know roughly where to find Kjapp again? Oh, and I don't suppose I could get the fly back. It's become something of a constant companion.

I'd suggest that our next step will be to try to walk out of town, perhaps talking about trying to do some looking about for a source of fresh water or some such.

He shrugs apologetically.

Or perhaps I'll leave that to all of you more, um, creative types. In any case, I want to see whether the guards would actually prevent us from leaving. If so, it may at least lead to a potentially illuminating conversation with some of the guards. And if not, it means that we may be able to sleep outside at nights safely.

He fills Grazys and Hist in on the major points of his chat with Boris and Kalamar.

Plus, we can then meet up with this Kjapp, and perhaps share our wisdom with him as well. I am eager to learn how he has managed to fend off the guards' spirits for two weeks.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-11, 02:43 PM
Hist

Of course, Reid. And the Dagger of course.

Hist was holding the fly in his hand, and passed it over as soon as he was asked, taking out the dagger with the other hand, and handing it over too.

But... well, do you like jail food? Because, if the guards don't let us out, they'll probably lock us up. And do it a little better this time. Perhaps they'd even guard us. We could probably escape, but the whole "killing guards" thing...

I say whatever we do, we'd better not tip our hand just yet. A foe that doesn't know you are fighting him is far easier prey.

I'd personally go with Grazys' idea. A party sounds good.

Hist smiles, and winks at the group.

And we might just be able to use it as a useful excuse to gather the community. There are a few people it might be an idea to talk to. See if we can find a mage for a start. And that girl Dothen mentioned

Oh, and Kjapp mentioned a spirit that was unlike the rest. A boy, or young man, with a broken cord, who was running when he met our new friend. Any ideas about who he could be?

Greyen
2008-04-11, 11:44 PM
Dothen

Dothen looks at the gathered heroes Walking in and out of that place was pretty easy, I could do it again. No worries there. I like the party idea but then again I just like the idea of a party anyway. he says with a sly grin.

Toliudar
2008-04-12, 12:01 AM
Reid

Not entirely grasping the humour...all right, completely missing the humour in the party suggestion, Reid frowns.

I am pleased to provide the bounty of Pelor if there is some cause for celebration, but I'm fairly certain he won't answer a request for, ah, the refreshments that I think you're speaking of.

It would seem likely that the young woman Dothen described simply shifted from the control by the guest spirit to the host. If there are wizards among the community, couldn't we simply ask? Surely, in a group so small, isolated and interdependent, they would be well aware of each others' abilities.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-12, 02:27 AM
Hist

Hist nods at Dothen

Fair enough, but we wouldn't be able to operate as freely as we're now doing.

He smiles slightly as Reid speaks.

Well, that'll make the party a little less fun, certainly. But the best thing is to relax. Everything else is essentially a luxury.

And as to the girl... well, that's possible. But it seems odd. There wasn't any reason to, and, well, have any of the others the others done that in casual conversation?

And we could indeed probably find a mage just by asking. But.... well, the last mage I encountered on this continent didn't like the idea of talking to anyone. I had to pay five hundred gold just for a few minuets of his time. Personally, I'd prefer a somewhat less expensive conversation. Whilst he's a little distracted, perhaps.

Besides.. well, how can you resist an excuse for a celebration? We've just seen a man brought to safety, and this whole curse question is depressing.

Hist laughs at the end, and he is obviously just joking there.

Toliudar
2008-04-12, 09:29 AM
Reid

Reid sighed.

If a party is what you want...but if you're celebrating Kjapp's freedom, wouldn't it be better to, you know, wait till he was present? I am no expert in such things, however. I suppose I could help make, er, decorations or something.

If a wizard is what you want, I would suggest two expedient routes. Boris downstairs has seemed reliable and helpful, and as owner of a place of gathering and lodging - if anyone knows of any with magical skills, it would be him. You could ask. Or, failing that, I could send to Anura, and ask her to look in on us, then travel to us, if we haven't gone too far for her forms of transportation.

In the meantime, I'd appreciate an opportunity to chat again with the priests, to see if they have any further insights that they might be willing to share, especially now that we have found a way to help with Rico.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-12, 11:31 AM
Hist

Fair point on Kjapp. And we'd have to come up with some kind of excuse as to why we want to celebrate, and we'd have to satisfy the guards as to why we wanted to celebrate immediately after a prisoner escaped....

He olds a hand to his head, in mock thought, then smiles.

Heh. It's a shame, but we'd probably best forget the idea. I was only half serious anyway.

Don't bother contacting Anura. If the curse is here, teleportation can't be relied upon. Best to find someone in the local community.

But I'm not sold on the idea of paying for it yet. Hmm.... I wonder....

With that, Hist sits down on the floor, and starts to go over what they know of the curse so far in his mind, trying to get a firmer idea of how it worked.

[roll0]Knowledge, arcana check on what we know so far to try and establish how the curse is working here, as described by the spirits and Grazys; using that to try and gain better understanding of if/how it could be broken without loss of life.

Toliudar
2008-04-12, 02:23 PM
Reid

Reid scratches his head contemplatively.

"Paying for it"? What is the "it" that you seek, Hist? I don't think I understand.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-12, 02:30 PM
Hist

Hist opens his eyes, and looks up from his contemplation

Answers, Reid. I've already had to pay good money for a mage's knowledge in Eras, and for now would prefer to try and get the curse clear in my mind, and see if I can work out a solution before running into any more possibly mercenary sages.

He smiled before returning to his contemplations.

Lochar
2008-04-12, 07:55 PM
Hist:
The curse is tied to each individual spirit, tying them to the town, and keeping them from leaving, even when they take a host/partner by weakening the body. So the curse isn't completely gone from the living, even if Grazys can't sense it anymore.

Reid did share with the spirit of Rico before Rico moved on, so a good idea may be to have Reid attempt to leave town, see if he has the curse energy as well and if it weakens him.

If it doesn't weaken him, Reid might be able to send the rest of the roaming spirits in the same manner as he previously did with Rico.

As for those who live and share, you're not certain how that could be resolved.

Toliudar
2008-04-13, 09:01 AM
Reid

Rising, Reid slips into his packsack.

Well, I'm certainly up for more conversation, but would you mind if we did it while walking? The only people in town we know who are both experts in this curse, and have some experience with the powers of magic are the priests back at the temple of Pelor. Perhaps they can guide us onward to other practitioners. My feeling is that, if they think that we are trying to help end this curse without hurting anyone, no one's going to be charging us for their advice.

I hope.

Besides, if the temple is one that used to belong to the priests of the One, it's as likely as any place to have clues as to the nature of the curse.

Unless there are objections, Reid will lead whoever is willing back with him to the Temple of Pelor.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-13, 09:14 AM
Hist

True enough. It's worth at least a try. And Reid?

Hist rises, the beginnings of a plan forming in his mind.

I'm afraid I know very little about the magic of the gods. Could you become invisible, and fly, under your own power?

He smiles

Just a... little thought on my part.

Toliudar
2008-04-13, 11:54 AM
Reid

Reid pauses to think.

Well, for short periods, I could certainly walk on air, or bring in help to fly, if the black fly was needed elsewhere.

But Pelor is a source of light. Hiding is not in our nature.

May I...ask what you are considering? Because I've been thinking about what you said - about how trying to leave might get us put in prison. I...do not believe that a jail cell such as the one that they put Kjapp into would hold us for very long.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-13, 12:18 PM
Hist

Of course not. But if we did break out... well, people might not be so happy to see us again, and would probably hand us back to the guards. Unless you feel like a lot of sprinting, or killing the bodies of innocents, it might not be best to tip our hand just yet.

He smiled, before continuing

Anyway, thanks to the ritual, you are apparently linked to Ricco somehow. I'm not entirely sure how that worked, but... well, the process would probably involve the transfer of the curse energy that sustains the spirits. That would explain why Grazys can't sense it in those spirits that are tied to a host.

He ploughed swiftly on, before Reid could say anything

The spirits are tied to the town, right? By the curse. If they can be tied to a host as well, moving the host away from the town might break the link of the curse that holds it, and them here. Spirits go on to a better place, I drain the curse energy, then get rid of it, and settlers have their body back. Everybody wins.

It's the best way I can think of. There are one or two other ways we might go about breaking it, but none much more promising. If the curse is weaker, I might be able to draw it out directly from the mortal hosts, but... well, I really don't know what effect that would have on the attendant spirit. Could be fine. Could destroy it's soul, leaving it without a chance at afterlife. Just don't know.

Toliudar
2008-04-13, 05:54 PM
Reid

Reid smiles.

Ah. Good point, about the jail cell. I suppose that that would seem un-neighbourly.

Rico and I were bound together, but only for a few hours. Unfortunately, because of the between-worlds state of his being, there was little that I could say to him until we completed the ritual. And by that point, my mind seemed empty of questions, and he didn't seem to have much to say. I suppose that, if I were to complete the ritual again with another spirit along for the ride tomorrow, they might also be able to pass on, but it doesn't help anyone who is more interested in finding a life here.

He holds up his hands defensively, looking at Draven.

Not that I'm trying to start that conversation again. My point was simply that I feel no link with Rico now. Boris had suggested that when a conjoined townsperson left the town, they started to feel weak - my assumption was that that weakness affected both body and spirit.

About this draining away of curse energy. Can you sense the flow of the curse's here? If you can drain away the energy slowly, why don't we find a volunteer whose sharing spirit is willing to take the risk - perhaps someone who has already lost those closest to them?

Moral Wiz
2008-04-14, 12:31 AM
Hist

Hist listens to Reid's tale of what happened with Ricco

Hmm.... But; if he has ascended, then he's lost his link to the curse, right? What happened to that energy? Might have been broken by the travel. Might it still be tied to you?

That's what I was thinking off. If you leave the town, we might have a better idea of just what happened here.

And what Boris said seems to back this up. The link would be drawn to breaking point. It's what happens after they finally get passed the town that is intriguing.

As to those who wish to lead a new life.... Fair enough, let 'em go on, but for one problem. This is very powerful magic at work here, cast by a god that liked to think he had a sense of humor. I'd be surprised if it actually worked this well, for the long term, without some sort of side effect.

And a certain archfiend is looking for the curse. And is unlikely to share our inhibitions about slaughtering the entire village to make sure he gets what he wants.

So, two problems. And neither leaves good results for the village.

Hist sights.

I can't sense the curse. But if there is energy behind it, I can try and draw it off. I haven't tried anything like it before, but I think I'd be able to.

But draining spirits... I'm not sure you quite understand the risk there. If it did affect the spirits... well, it'd possibly be the equivalent of darkest necromancy, and might leave the spirit totally destroyed. Shattered into a thousand pieces. No chance of reaching the afterlife.

Of course, it might be fine. The only real way to know is, as you say, to experiment. But are we really entitled to take that risk?

Greyen
2008-04-14, 12:58 AM
Dothen

Dothen, who has been following along a few steps behind pipes up I think that if we don't start experimenting soon then someone might just start killing these folks. I mena wouldn't that be the easiest way to release the bound curse energy? Then where are we? I think that we need to free these folks, even at the cost of the free spirits, so that those who are alive can live. If some fiend comes along and starts killing them both sides are dead and lost not just one. He doesn't seem very happy with the thought but more resigned to it than anything else.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-14, 01:44 AM
Hist

But the curse is tied into the existence of all those spirits. Absorbing the energy could also absorb the spirits; and the dispersal would destroy their souls. Could leave them with no chance at any other existence. No second life, no well earned rest. They'd just... cease to be.

His eyes cloud over

I'm just not sold on taking that gambit. On rending the souls of an entire village, if I'm wrong. Or who knows what? This is just my best guess. Anything could happen.

Hist sags down for a moment, looking at the floor. Then, he speaks again.

If you guys want me to, I'll try it. I've killed before, but not destroyed people this utterly, greater good or no. And.... But I'll put my trust in your judgment.You are my friends, and have not lead me wrong yet.

He doesn't look comfortable at this, but seems resolved to his decision

Greyen
2008-04-14, 02:08 AM
Dothen

I'm not trying to push you toward doing anything that you feel is wrong. That's not right fer me to be doing. Dothen sighs, I miss Anura, her wealth of knowledge would help magnificently.

Maybe if we find some spirit in town who would take the chance with us.

Wait a sec.

I think I have an idea, maybe tonight we can call a meeting with the free spirits in town. See what they say. What about that?

Toliudar
2008-04-14, 10:06 AM
Reid

Reid scratches his head. This was not NEARLY done.

I guess I think of it this way, Hist. The inhabitants know that leaving town weakens them - and we know that, even though there were people who were dedicated explorers among them, and that there are plenty of reasons to want to head back to Eras for supplies, they've all stayed here. Therefore, I consider having someone under the curse dangerous.

You're suggesting that draining the curse out of someone is more dangerous. You were closer to me than anyone when I underwent the Radiente test, and suggest that I may have the curse energy still in me. Certainly, no one felt the curse energy go, right? So...

He taps his own chest.

I am the perfect volunteer for this experiment. Drain me. Drain the energy from me. If it doesn't work, we can always go ahead with a conversation with the free spirits tonight. Although I'd very much like to find a way to converse with them that also allows them to maintain their own volition.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-14, 10:58 AM
Hist

But...

Hist was silent for a moment, before speaking again, as the myriad assemblage of problems presented itself.

If Ricco has ascended, then there are two problems. Firstly, we don't know if you are under the curse. That's why I suggested the idea of you moving beyond the settlement. If you started feeling weak, we'd know. I can't sense it, and I think once in humans, it can hide from Grazys' sight.

And second... well, it wouldn't establish what effect the draining would have on a spirit. That's what is truly worrying me. It almost certainly wouldn't have any ill effects on the original host.

As to communicating with the spirits... well, at night, it should be easy. Your spirit travels to their realm somehow. It's a good idea, but be careful. The further you travel from your body, the weaker you are. And they are tied closer to the curse, and the town. If they do become hostile, I'm not sure if I could do anything.

Toliudar
2008-04-14, 11:04 AM
Reid

I understand that we don't know whether I've got any of the curse energy. But the absence of a second spirit makes this the perfect place to try it out, since there's no second spirit to harm. And I'm not at all convinced that leaving town doesn't harm the host, since we don't know what harming the spirit does to the host.

So, again, I ask you to try your curse-draining on me now. What have we got to lose?

GimliFett
2008-04-14, 11:17 AM
Grazys Senneker

Shaking his head, Grazys stands up and stretches, arching his back in the process. "Ya mean 'sides a friend?" He looks at Reid. "I don't like it. Ya've got somethin' ta go back ta, 'member? Don't take foolish chances. Me on tha other hand, I got nothin' but ya three an' Anura. Lemme see if I can find someone ta share with who's willin' to take the chance of an indeterminate afterlife. It'll be little different from bindin', but I don't 'spect it ta get away from me. I'm fairly strong-willed, an I'm a bit used ta sharin' to one degree or another, anyway. I'll be tha test."

Moral Wiz
2008-04-14, 11:21 AM
Hist

It won't harm Ried. I'm prety sure of that. The only person who it might harm is an extra inhabiting spirit, and if Ricco is indeed gone...

He sighed

Very well, Reid. I'll try it.

He finally stood up

I have minimal idea as to how this works. It should be the same as when I draw upon my own power, but.....

Muttering to himself, Hist placed on hand on Reid's chest, and focused.

I'm tampering with the power of a god. This can't be a particularly good idea. I'm working only on my best guess. Anura would throw a fit.

This can't work. It won't work, if he's got the curse or not.

He continued to stand there, hand in place, his mind trying to break the habits of a life time; reaching out, calling for any fragments of power, trying to control them as though he was drawing upon the font of energy within his own soul.

But instead of focusing inward, he focused on Reid, trying, only half knowing what he is doing, to draw upon any energy of the One's curse that remained within the cleric.

Toliudar
2008-04-14, 12:54 PM
Reid

Standing to brace himself for, well, whatever, Reid holds up a hand at Grazys' offer.

You are kind, friend, but this shouldn't hurt me. Either there is residual energy from the curse inside me - which, naturally, I would rather NOT have inside me - or there is not. Either way, we have an opportunity to test Hist's theory in which he acts as a kind of lightning rod for the curse-energy - at a time when we aren't faced with a now-or-never situation, and the amount of the energy is clearly not enough to kill someone - or else everyone here would be dead.

I'd much rather find out now than when we're breaking into some sealed off bunker...

GimliFett
2008-04-14, 01:01 PM
Grazys Senneker

Reluctantly, the binder nods. "Fair 'nuff. Doesn't mean I like it, though."

Moral Wiz
2008-04-14, 01:07 PM
Sorry about not spotting your post Gimli, only just saw it.

I'll edit in a reaction on Hist's part in his first post. Hold a moment.

Lochar
2008-04-14, 01:07 PM
A black aura flecked with gray flares to life around Hist's hand touching Reid, and then Reid begins to shine with a holy white light. Inside Reid's aura is a small blackness that moves through Reid's aura towards Hist's hand.

The blackness in Reid's aura passes from him into Hist's hand, and Reid feels a momentary weakness as the blackness passes out of him.

The energy passes into Hist's hand, still cloaked in it's own aura. The aura seems to lighten a shade, before breaking apart on it's own in a cascade of dark energies.

Grazys:
The scar on your back twinges, and you feel blood run down your back. "Your oath, mortal..."

You've taken 1 point of Con and Str drain.

Anyone who can make a DC 20 spot check:
The back of Grazys' shirt seems to turn a deep, dark red.

Spot DC 28:
It's actually blood soaking his shirt.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-14, 01:11 PM
Hist

Hist sweats as the process continues. He closes his eyes as the small blot of Pygas' energy appeared, seeming to direct it with his mind.

He could feel it; the power of the curse, as it flowed on iit's course, at his direction. It was like... a spark? A blackened diamond?,,,, No, he couldn't discribe it. It was black. But... it's magnificence, if only in a tiny way....

He flinched at the thought, and continued with the exercise. As the energy came to him, he opened his eyes, in time to see it shift, slowly, and then break up..

The warlock stood stock still for a moment.

Then he fell to the floor, seemingly oblivious to everything for a moment, with what was more utter surprise at succeeding than actual exhaustion.

It.... worked?

[roll0]Spot check

Greyen
2008-04-14, 01:38 PM
Dothen

Dothen watches in interest.

Spot [roll0]

Dothen reaches for Grazys You okay?

GimliFett
2008-04-14, 01:46 PM
Grazys Senneker

As Hist drains the Curse energy from Reid, Grazys' eyes widen in shock and pain. "Aah!" The binder lets out a small whimper and doubles over in pain.

With a little difficulty, Grazys straightens up. "Damn. I'll be okay, I think. Well, if I'm party ta this dissipation, I'll hafta get used ta some pain. Tha Scholar wasn't pleased, by the way."

Moral Wiz
2008-04-14, 01:56 PM
Hist

The warlock rises quickly at Grazys' cry, the sound being enough to stur him from the floor.

Blood and damnation.... I should have thought.... Grazys, I'm sorry. We should have gotten you outside at least before trying this. Though with an archfiend, I don't know if that'd be enough.

Not to mention there was hardly any energy there. About as small a fragment as is possible, really. I can bare it easily, for now at least. If that's his reaction to such minor treachery...

He leaves his words unfinished, but it isn't hard to notice that dark energy is flowing around his hands. Hist doesn't seem to be aware of it though, it seems more like a reflex action than anything.

GimliFett
2008-04-14, 02:18 PM
Grazys Senneker

Giving his friends a weak grin, Grazys shakes his head. "Nobody's fault but mine," he says, in a near-sing-song style. "It was my deal, and I forgot. At least now we know tha answer ta another question: How much involvement can I have? It seems not a whole lot without consequences. But they're my burden to bear for tha choice I made. I'll manage." Wearily he moves to an empty bed and sits down.

His smile twists slightly, now one of self-deprecation. Damn-fool! Pay attention! Can't stop this mess if you die too soon! he thinks to himself.

Looking back up to the others, his normal smile returns. "I've a few ideas on how ta maybe bypass such...reminders next time. Maybe some mental blocks of sorts, based on binding Haures. We'll see."

After another moment, Grazys sits up straight and winces. "I think I should change my shirt." Chuckling, he gingerly removes the stained shirt and drops it to the floor, revealing a gleaming mithral shirt underneath.

Toliudar
2008-04-14, 02:30 PM
Reid

Coming out of his stunned state at the transfer of the curse to Hist, Reid glances about.

Spot [roll0]

Noticing the splotch across Grazys' back just after Dothen does, Reid also gathers around the binder. His face is a plowed field of concern.

And you were worried about me, selfless one.

He slowly, methodically begins an examination of Grazys, trying to determine the nature of the effect of the curse.

Would a spellcraft check be appropriate, Lochar? He's got a +10. Just let me know if I figure out whether it's ability drain.

Lochar
2008-04-14, 02:44 PM
Reid:
Heal check DC 18 would reveal it is ability drain of his health and his strength.

GimliFett
2008-04-14, 02:44 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder looks at Reid with a strange expression. "Selfless? Me? That's not somethin' I've heard before now. Thanks, mate!" Grazys grins.

"As far's my current issue goes, I dunno what ya can do. It's a wound of tha body and spirit more'n just a wound, ya know? I'm a little weaker for it, but I'll manage."

Toliudar
2008-04-14, 03:37 PM
Reid

Reid looks Grazys over, concerned.

I'm not certain if I can do anything about it now, regardless. But if there's anything I can do to ensure that you don't suffer for resisting that - 'scholar's' - influence -

He chants a brief but resounding prayer, and bright light floods briefly into Grazys.

If something more potent is required, I will have to pray for guidance tomorrow.

Casting Lesser Restoration to try to bring his constitution back up. I don't think it'll work against drain, but it's time for Reid to figure that out.

Lochar
2008-04-14, 04:03 PM
Reid's magics flare against the drained Grazys' body, but fail to alleviate the man's body.

Toliudar
2008-04-14, 07:24 PM
Reid

Reid purses his lips.

Sorry, friend. And that means that this is probably beyond the power of the staff as well. I will pray for more help in the morning. You should not be punished for doing the right thing, after all.

Greyen
2008-04-14, 10:23 PM
Dothen

Come along Hist old boy time to try that against some more willing subjects! Dothen stands grinnning. Are you ready?

Moral Wiz
2008-04-15, 12:13 AM
Hist

Dothen's cheerful words seem to catch Hist by surprise. His darkened arcane energy is still flowing over his hands as he turns around to his friend. He notices it, and, with a mildly irritated thought, dismisses it.

Wha... oh yes, I suppose so. Did you have any in mind?

Toliudar
2008-04-15, 02:42 AM
Reid

Thrilled as it dawns on him that Hist's "so crazy it just might work" plan for keeping Pygas' energy away from the Scholar was indeed so crazy that it just might work, Reid grins.

Just like back at the monastery, I say. We ask for volunteers. There must be some of the townsfolk for whom this conjoined existence has proved no life at all. Perhaps Boris or the priests will know of someone.

Greyen
2008-04-15, 03:28 AM
Dothen

Well I was thinking of wandering around town chatting up some folks and seeing who we could find. If nothing else we can maybe get a town meeting.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-15, 04:35 AM
Hist

So our plan is to find a spirit, who, having gained a new life after spending several thousand years dead, is willing to risk destroying their eternal soul?

Hist, after looking at the floor for a moment, rose up, to reveal a grin covering his face.

Well, we have just ended up controling the power of a god. After that, I think we can manage somthing so simple.

Shall we go find someone now?

If the responce is positive, Hist beaming, jumps down the stairs, and starts making inquiries. He is careful to only ask people about their own state of mind, as the spirits seem to do most of the talking, that should be enough.

Looking for suicidal people... this should be interesting.[roll0] Gather Infomation

Greyen
2008-04-15, 04:53 AM
Dothen

Dothen grins and chuckles to himself. Thinking And now we are a crack suicide squad!. Dothe follows Hist and begins wandering about tow looking for those who are discontent and having issues with themselves. Mostly Dothe keeps to himself and lets Hist do the talking while Dothen watches the area for trouble and backs up his friend.

Gather info
Spot [roll[1d20+13
Listen [roll1]

Lochar
2008-04-15, 07:20 AM
Hist:You spend a few hours poking about, asking questions. You get some odd looks, but no one seems to be suicidal.

You do find out, in a roundabout way, that there have been several people that have died since coming here, and they were buried in the northern part of the city, past the fields. Unless you want to directly mention the spirit thing, you won't find out if they were already sharing or hosts.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-15, 08:09 AM
Hist

Some people have died? Already? What caused that? Interesting regardless. They might be the only ones who...

Somthing strikes him, as he leans against a wall for a moment. He turns to Dothen.

Didn't you mention a girl that was a bit unusual or somthing? Which one was she?

Yes, I know we havn't seen her, but Hist dosn't.

Greyen
2008-04-15, 08:38 AM
Dothen

Dothen thinks for a moments Oh yeah. Lets go look for her. If I remember right I saw her this away. Dothen spins on his heal and walks in the direction he saw her in.

Looking for that girl now.

Lochar
2008-04-15, 09:23 AM
It takes you about an hour to track her down, but you do eventually find her.

She is currently at a, for lack of a better word, community center, where she is working with several others trying to get some plants to grow in small tubs. She has long black hair and blue-green eyes, and if she was standing would barely top five feet. She is fair skinned, and an elf.

The others are three other women and two men. The men are elves, and the women are human.

Greyen
2008-04-15, 09:37 AM
Dothen

Dothen points the woman out to Hist allowing the more charismatic man to take the lead on this one.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-15, 10:11 AM
Hist

Hist jerked, seemingly expecting Dothen to take the lead. None the less, he steeped forward soon enough, and bowed to the group with a smile.
Good morning to you

He thought quickly for a suitable way in which to begin some sort of conversation. As he noticed what they were doing, he bent over one of the tubs to have a look

Any success? Oh, and how are you doing for water? Our priest seems to have taken... something of a shine to the natural world. I'm sure he'd be willing to conjure up some help if you're supply is running low.

Lochar
2008-04-15, 10:21 AM
Several of them look up at you and smile. "We get enough water from the temple, as getting anything to grow out here is very hard to do, even with plenty of help." One of the men says. He does have the accent.

Spot DC 25:
Something shifts in the demeanor about the woman you all came to see.

Reid:
Quite like when the innkeep swapped between one person to another.

The one that Dothen point out nods her head, before speaking with the same accent. "We've gotten some sprouts to grow, but they don't last very long. The soil is crap for growing anything in, it's more like sand. We just don't have enough compost to get a good base soil to work with, so we're doing out best."

Moral Wiz
2008-04-15, 10:30 AM
Hist

The warlock smiles back at the group.

You know, the forest is much more traversable recently. If you wanted, you could probably organize a supply convoy back to the port. All those merchants... I'm sure one'll have brought something upon tales of ground that bares no life. Or perhaps you could take some soil from the forest itself. It seems to now be capable of sustaining life.

He doesn't mention the name Eras, wanting to see just what they know when the spirits are in control.

On the off chance [roll0] Spot

Toliudar
2008-04-15, 11:28 AM
Reid

Spot [roll0]

Reid looks around at the plants with interest. He waits until after the man has had an opportunity to respond to Hist.

Sand is difficult. I've heard of farmers using compost to enrich and bind such soils. Do you have anything similar to use here?

Lochar
2008-04-15, 11:53 AM
"We're managing here well enough, without having to bring more here. The priests of Pelor summon us food, and that which isn't used we attempt to compost. Once we get things stable here, we can think about sending word again to Iras for more to come. Any more people here and we likely would not have enough food to feed everyone." One of the women tell Hist.

The black haired elven woman nods to Reid. "We don't have much to use as compost yet, so we don't have much to mix with the land."

Moral Wiz
2008-04-15, 12:20 PM
Hist

Iras? What...

[roll0] Bluff check to seem geniunly suprised,

Hist pauses for a moment before changing topic.

Hmm.... Fair point, I suppose. But why not get a little soil from the forest, if you are having problems there? That way, you might have some more success with the plants. True, it wouldn't be a long term thing, you wouldn't better the ground, but for the short term... well, you could grow a fair bit of food in those tubs.

Toliudar
2008-04-15, 12:23 PM
Reid

Reid smiles at the elven woman.

I know that many farmers make use of the household wastes, blending them with, ah, effluent from the barns, to fertilize. If you are restricted to the town, you might look no further than your own middens for help in your work. Blessings on your work, madam.

There is an abandoned elven community back in the forest, Miss. Certainly, I have always admired your people's understanding of the lore and mysteries of living things. Now that the forest is shrugging off the taint, you might want to seek advice from the library there.

Lochar
2008-04-15, 12:36 PM
One of the men replies to Hist, "The priests prayer food spoils a day after it's creation, and with the forest being a good week away, any who went there would no be strong enough to bring back enough to make a difference."

The elven woman nods to Reid. "We do that as well, but there is a lot more land than there is waste to mix with it. The soil is infertile, and it will take a while to make it fertile again." She looks thoughtful at the mention of the forest city. "If only it were possible to go there, but as Kevin," she motions to the man that replied to Hist," says, we do not have the food stores to make it there and back."

Toliudar
2008-04-15, 12:42 PM
Reid

Reid gazes contemplatively at the struggling plants, wishing that he had the gift to help. Hoping that they did.

Miss, what does it feel like, when you step out of the town?

Lochar
2008-04-15, 12:44 PM
She blinks. "Excuse me?"

GimliFett
2008-04-15, 12:47 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder hangs back, observing the interactions.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-15, 12:50 PM
Hist

Hist half curses at Reid's bluntness, but decides to back him

Fair question. What does it feel like, when you step beyond the gate? I mean, after being cooped up behind the walls for a while, moving out into a grand view of this blasted wilderness....

What was it like, before all this? Probably just as ghastly, I wonder. You always assume a place brought down was once beautiful, but it rarely ever was. Just the symptoms of poets who can't remember, pining for something....

He reflects aloud.

edited. Bluff will be rolled in OOC

Greyen
2008-04-15, 12:56 PM
Dothen

Dothen hangs in the back with Grazys, you can see that he is simmering with something to say but is exercising his (minimal) self control to the maximum.

Lochar
2008-04-15, 02:03 PM
All of them get startled and/or shocked looks. Kevin glares at Hist. "If you're trying to say something, say it. Or leave. We do have work we need to be doing, and it doesn't involve answering idle questioners."

Moral Wiz
2008-04-15, 02:13 PM
Hist

They are the spirits. They won't shift in casual conversation. And the others didn't re-take control when it was appropriate. Why not?

They know we are explorers. They know the port we landed at. Yet they don't send the explorer's spirit to talk with us. Why not? They surely, would be more comfortable with doing so, than people of another time and culture.

Something is wrong here.

Outwardly he smiles, though just a little, and bows apolageticly.

Sorry. I fear I'm never the best one for such things.

Reid's question still stands. What does it feel like to leave the immediate environment of the town. Forget what I said for a moment. Since you arrived here, have any of you tried to leave? Answer that and I promise I'll stop bothering you. Your work is important.

Lochar
2008-04-15, 02:20 PM
"It feels nice to leave the walls of the town for a while to walk. The land is blasted, but it was that way when everyone showed up as well. Anything else?"

Moral Wiz
2008-04-15, 02:25 PM
The last said with the accent?
Hist

The warlock smiles at the response.

No. Nothing else from me at least.

Sorry. You must forgive my impoliteness. I've.... a lot on my mind right now. I need to walk a bit. Stretch my legs. I won't go far.

The last is to the group. With that, he walks off, picking a direction at random, whirlst going over ideas in his mind.

Lochar
2008-04-15, 02:30 PM
Hist:
Yes, still with the accent.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-15, 02:40 PM
Hist

Hist rounds a corner into the darkest alleyway he can find

And doesn't appear to come out. Insted, there is just a slight fluttering on the wind as an unseen Hist flies out to explore the town.

Looking to see how people talk when we're not around. Do I have to make move silently rolls whirlst flying?

[roll0] Listen, for both accent, and anything else interesting that is talked about.

Lochar
2008-04-15, 02:45 PM
Hist:
Not as long as you keep above the people by 10' or so, no MS rolls needed.

This is going to take you about thirty minutes of flying randomly around.

You catch conversations from people, just about all of them in the accent. Once you get a ways away from where the group is, it switches to be more 50/50 between people with accents and those without. Conversations are mundane and range between hoping that they can get crops to grow, to discussions on the guards who seem to be looking for someone. You actually spot a contingent of six guards wandering the streets, poking their heads down alleys and looking into buildings. They're generally making their way towards where the rest of the group is.

GimliFett
2008-04-15, 02:46 PM
Grazys Senneker

After a moment, Grazys seems to return to the situation at hand. Realizing Hist seemed to have left the others holding the bag, so to speak, the binder looks to Reid and Dothen. "Um. Where'd our aasimar go?"

Moral Wiz
2008-04-15, 02:48 PM
Hist

Phew. That's one suspicion less.

Then he sees the guards.

Oh. Not a particularly good thing

He flew back in the direction of the others

Come on...

To be fair, this'll take him a little time. When shall Hist arrive back?

Greyen
2008-04-15, 02:54 PM
Dothen

He wandered off again. He'll be back. Dothen shrugs. This is not quite what he had planned but that's okay.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-15, 03:10 PM
Hist

Ok coming back now for simplicity

After a few minuets, you can hear the sound of footsteps behind you. Hist whispers to the group.

Well, good news and bad news. Good news is that yet another of my suspicions is wrong; the settlers talk when we're not there. They just keep to the spirits around us. Probably to ensure we don't smell a rat as it were, as it was the spirits that we talked to first.

The bad news, there are six guards heading in our general direction. And apparently, they are looking for someone, and as they know Kjapp's gone, I'd suspect it was one of us.

I think making ourselves scarce may be advisable.

Toliudar
2008-04-15, 04:48 PM
Reid

Nodding, Reid murmurs.

Let's go to the temple. The guards are less likely to be openly violent there, and I might reasonably claim sanctuary for us. Failing that, the fathers may side with us.

Unless there are objections, he will walk briskly towards the church of Pelor.

GimliFett
2008-04-15, 04:55 PM
Grazys Senneker

As they walk, Grazys leans towards Reid. "Are we sure we want to involve them in this? I know it'll be safer for us, but..." he trails off and nods.

Toliudar
2008-04-15, 05:29 PM
Reid

Reid shrugs.

They are involved. They are feeding men and women who they KNOW took bodies away from others involuntarily. And, I'm assuming, they knew that Kjapp was being held for the same purpose. Of course, I don't know the entire story, but they have no more right to turn a blind eye to that injustice than I do to the suffering of this village.

To my mind, putting them in the middle of any conversation we might be having with the guard, shortly, is only a step towards balancing the accounts.

Greyen
2008-04-16, 02:52 AM
Dothen

Well lets go give then another visit. Dothen heads out and once outside the door fades from sight, unless someone would obviously spot him dissappearing.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-16, 07:35 AM
Hist

I'm following.

Hist dosn't relax his spell as he continues after the group.

Lochar
2008-04-16, 07:45 AM
With quick steps, you all can make it to the temple of Pelor without running into any of the guards that might be looking for you.

Once you get there, the priests nod to you, before bowing to Reid. The currently head priest approaches. "How may we serve, Raidente?"

GimliFett
2008-04-16, 09:21 AM
Grazys Senneker

The binder stays towards the back, but looks at Reid expectantly. I really don't wanna get inta doctrinal issues, he muses to himself.

Toliudar
2008-04-16, 11:08 PM
Reid

Reid bows, but speaks quickly.

Blessings to you father. First, I have good news. Rico is released from his - in between state.

I have a few more questions about the state you all share, but first, a request. We believe that several of the town guard are pursuing us. They may have questions about the release of a prisoner earlier today. They may have more than questions. We would like the conversation to take place here.

Father, I believe that we have a chance to relieve the curse of this place. I have seen...

He glances at Hist.

What may in fact be a miracle today. We must be free to move about the continent in order to carry out that work. It is very important, I believe to all of us, that the guards not be allowed to detain us. Do we understand each other?

Lochar
2008-04-17, 08:25 AM
The priest smiles at Reid's news of Rico's release, and then frowns at the mention of the guards. "They have already been by twice today. A third time will be no different. If they wish to question you, we will stand to hear the truth, here."

He sighs. "As for the curse, it will be a welcome blessing if you can truly remove it." He looks to the empty space Reid looked to. "Are you invisible or spirit?" he asks, politely.

GimliFett
2008-04-17, 08:29 AM
Grazys Senneker

The binder snickers, but covers his smirk with his hand as he shakes his head.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-17, 10:02 AM
Hist

The warlock let the spell fade. AS he reappears, he seems to be holding one hand to his head, as though distracted by somthing but quickly relaxes.

Just invisible. Sorry. It was me that spotted the guards, and I didn't dismiss the spell yet.

Lochar
2008-04-17, 10:12 AM
The priest nods to Hist. "Ah. Thank you for your assistance then, Histantos."

Toliudar
2008-04-17, 11:13 AM
Reid

Since the guards didn't seem to be breaking down the door, Reid pauses to offer a brief prayer of thanksgiving at the front of the church, before returning to speak with the Fathers.

Father, do you know of any pairings within the city - any combinations of spirit and host - that have become extremely difficult and rancorous? My friend Dothen has remarked at how difficult it must sometimes be to share a body, but most of you seem to be managing quite beautifully. I'm wondering what happens to the exceptions.

We may have a way of alleviating the curse, but it may result in releasing the spirit onwards to the next world. I would only want to risk it with a volunteer, and thought that the most likely volunteer would be someone for whom this life had become especially difficult - or painful.

Lochar
2008-04-17, 12:24 PM
The priest shrugs. "We make do how we must. And as both souls are active, peace must be obtained between the two. If not, conflicting commands to the same body can quickly cause injury. There were a few that were so enamored with the idea of living again, that they caused those who shared much harm. Once they were healed, they were very careful."

He looks to Reid, facial features shifting slightly as his voice changes and the accent disappears. "Once we share, there's no going back. The souls of those who were cursed cannot leave our bodies again, nor can they remove the original soul and become the only soul in the body."

The accent reappears. "As for the curse and removing it, I know of two people whose spirits only asked to share because they wanted to die and not stay unliving forever."

Moral Wiz
2008-04-17, 12:41 PM
Hist

The warlock's eyes seem... somehow brighter as the priest speaks of the depressed spirits. Though he does not look happy.

What happened to them? Did they kill...?

He left the sentence unfinished

Please say this isn't the explanation for those graves.

Lochar
2008-04-17, 12:55 PM
"Almost everyone thought it was a dream the first few nights. I mean, how odd do you think it is to go to sleep and then 'wake up' outside your body? So when a dream asks you something, you agree without even thinking about it."

"They were the first of the guards, they asked to share, but then fought with the original soul until they tore the body apart. Then the rest of the guards just started taking bodies." The priest looks to Reid. "Do you recall the prayer to see that which is unseen, Raidente? Or was that not one of your prayer requests to Pelor this morning? Look around you here. You most likely do not like why we feed even the guards, but we have our reasons."

Toliudar
2008-04-17, 05:18 PM
Reid

Reid stands impassively, listening intently. The priest's question stirs him.

I believe I do now understand the nature of that prayer, Father, yes. I have thought that, at some time in the evening, I may try to use it to see if I can see the spirits that have not yet joined.

You speak - both of you speak - with some assurance that there is no stepping back from the joining, but I am living proof that it is possible. I acknowledge that the situation with Rico was unique, but that doesn't mean that there aren't other circumstances in which it may be possible. But what makes you so certain? Have you tried to sever the bond, once established?

Lochar
2008-04-17, 05:23 PM
"Those who died attempted it. One man said he managed it, but he fell dead moments later, his skin looking as if it had been shredded."

The priest looks at Reid. "I would ask though, that you say the prayer for sight before night falls, and look to the pews. You would understand more of the town, and it is not something I think you will believe without seeing it."

Toliudar
2008-04-17, 05:26 PM
Reid

A question springs to Reid's lips, and he suppresses it. Glancing at his companions, he turns to the pews and closes his eyes for a moment. When they open again, they flare briefly with a pure white light, and then settle back to their normal brown. He looks all around the church.

Summoning Pelor's light.

Lochar
2008-04-17, 05:39 PM
Reid:
As you look around to the room, you see...
People. Familiar looking people. In the second pew is one of the guards that was at the gate when you entered the town. As you continue looking, you realize that every one of the guards you've seen are in the pews, along with many other faces that you don't recognize.

Each one of them don't pay you any attention. Some of them chat with each other, although you cannot hear them. A few occasionally look around, but all seem extremely despondent.

And every one of them, every single one of them, all have one thing in common. Each has a spirit cord coming from their body, like yours was when you slept in the temple the night before. And each spirit cord is ripped and shredded at the end, connecting them to nothing, instead of to their body. The cords are all different lengths, but none more than eight feet or so long.

Even as you watch now, the cords occasionally shudder, and a small portion of it vanishes.

After a moment, the priest sighs. "Do you see? They gather here, because it is a church of light and hope. But I do not know what hope to give them."

Toliudar
2008-04-17, 05:45 PM
Reid

Reid's jaw literally drops as he looks around. He begins moving in and among the pews. His voice is a big haggard as he explains to the others.

I'm seeing spirits, the spirits of individuals who we've seen here in town. I recognize the face of a guard we saw when we came in. They all have the cords that are meant to connect them to their bodies, but all of the connections are cut. And it looks like the cords are slowly getting shorter. The looks in these peoples' faces...By the Light, when will people stop suffering from the actions of that One?

He stands amongst the despondent spirits, looking back at the priest.

I don't understand. Who cut these peoples' cords? Is this what happens when a body is seized? And...what happens when a cord is frayed completely away?

Lochar
2008-04-17, 05:52 PM
"The people that currently have the bodies are the ones that cut the cords. I do not know how to return the rightful souls to the bodies. And none have lost their cord completely yet, so..."

The priest trails off, looking beyond Reid. "May Pelor's light embrace you. How may I be of service?"

At the door, six guards have appeared. "We've got a few questions for the newcomers." One of them says.

Toliudar
2008-04-17, 06:57 PM
Reid

The Servant barely had an opportunity to nod at the priest's comments when the door opened. As the guards entered, he glanced around the pews to see if he could spot their spirit-doubles - and to see if the spirits saw their own bodies entering.

He raised a hand in greeting to the guards.

Good morning to you all, and like the fathers here, I welcome you to this holy place. What can we do for you, sir?

Lochar
2008-04-17, 08:27 PM
The guards look you over. "We've recently had someone break out of the jail. We were wondering if you'd answer some questions, see if you know anything."

Reid:Yes, you can spot the doubles. And they do look up at their own bodies, but seem to sigh and look away again. They look like they've lost quite a bit of hope of anything changing.

Toliudar
2008-04-17, 11:33 PM
Reid

Reid's face hardens as he looks at those who have lost everything. He turns back to the guards.

Ah. I thought you might have come to visit those whom you have displaced. What are your questions?

Greyen
2008-04-18, 01:53 AM
Dothen

Dothen remains quiet and hidden. Not wanting to interfere with Reid's religious intereactions or set off the guards. He does however slip over to the doorway and wait next to the wall, sap in hand.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-18, 02:40 AM
Hist

This is worse than the actions of the One. People chose to force the settlers out of their bodies. The One didn't even have to force them into this. Those in his service seem to be inspiered to do such things of their own will. No need for the comandments of religon. They become... warped by it.

That bastard.

Hist broods to himself at Reid's words before the temple has some unexpected guests. With that, he turnes towards them, and just stares at them. His eyes flare slightly, and his face is drawn.

A lot of memories are flashing before his eyes right now. Memories of people he knew back on Pyrosia before and after the war, who called the One lord and master.

Some of those disciples, I once called "friend".

He dosn't seem to notice Reid's words, but remains still and continues gazing at the guards. His face doesn't conceal his anger at the guards well.

Lochar
2008-04-18, 06:46 AM
The guards startle, before scowling. "We'd rather you come to the guardhouse to answer those questions. I'd rather not take up any more time of the priests here." The lead one answers.

The priest smiles. "Oh no, I have nothing particularly important today, and I'd like to hear the questions and answers myself."

A long suffering sigh, before the guard motions to the others, and they walk into the church, out of the foyer area. "Could you at least provide a prayer for truth then, so we know the answers we get are true?" The lead guard asks.

The priest nods, and a moment later, he casts his spell. "Any who wish to ask questions, or answer them, need to stand there." He points to a spot in the center aisle.

The guard nods and steps forward. "We know you weren't in your rooms last night, so where were each of you? And I'd like if each of you answered, as well."

Zone of Truth, DC 15 Will save when you step in.

Moral Wiz
2008-04-18, 10:36 AM
Hist

He's just doing his duty. What he thinks is right.

He's a bastard! These guys locked up Kjapp and wanted to make him loose his spirit.

He's clever. This'll be interesting

Hist steps into the circle, not letting his gaze be broken.

I was here. In this temple. Reid wished to conduct a ritual from the spirit realm, and I accompanied him into that state to ensure no one disrupted it.

Hist maintains DooL on will. He's had noting else to set it too, and knows that there may be mental battles, with the spirits, or perhaps minions of Grahf (like the first one).[roll0] will save

Lochar
2008-04-18, 01:34 PM
The guard nods. "And the rest of you, where were you last night? Step forward, and prove your innocence or guilt in front of the priests."

GimliFett
2008-04-18, 02:03 PM
Grazys Senneker

The binder shakes his head slightly and steps forward into the area of effect of the spell. He looks at the spokes-guard and turns on his lop-sided grin. "I was right here in the temple as well. Where were you?" he asks.

Will: [roll0]

Lochar
2008-04-18, 02:07 PM
"I was where I was supposed to be, asleep in my bed." The guard answers Grazys.