PDA

View Full Version : Rules for alchohal and drunkeness?

nhbdy
2008-03-31, 05:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone here had a good homebrew for getting people drunk, one of my characters might try and get people drunk and use diplomacy to get them to share private information, and also any other things you think are relevant to alchohal.

vivi
2008-03-31, 06:05 PM
Me and my friend once had this problem, we decided to give it:
-2 Int
-2 Wis
-2 Diplomacy
-4 Sense Motive
+2 Cha(drunk people are fun)
help?

Sachiel
2008-03-31, 06:33 PM
gives me a great idea for a spell
Touch of Drunkenness

RyanM
2008-03-31, 10:28 PM
A character has a drink limit of Constitution minus 8 drinks, to remain fully sober (a character cannot have a lower limit than one, however). For each drink over this limit, they lose 1 dex and 1 wis. Every second drink over the limit, they lose 1 int and 1 cha. But they gain 1 str per drink, up to a maximum of 2. Each drink also gives you 1d6 temporary hit points for the duration of the drunkenness (no limit).

Keep track of the number of drinks you've had. This "drink counter" decreases by one every hour, with the associated effect reduction.

So for a con of 10, your third drink you lose 1 dex and 1 wis, but you gain 1 str. Your fourth, you lose 1 dex, 1 wis, 1 int, 1 cha, and gain another str. Your fifth, you lose 1 dex and 1 wis.

If you reach 3 times your sobriety limit, then on drinking that one, and for every drink thereafter, you have to make a fort save, DC10 plus 5 for each drink over 3xsobriety. Failing the save means you puke, which deals 1d8 subdual damage and leaves you nauseated for one round. Puking also deals 1d2 points of Con damage, which heals at a rate of 1 every 3 hours.

So con of 10 again, you gotta make a DC10 save on your 6th drink, DC15 on your 7th, DC20 on your 8th, etc., to avoid puking.

At 5 times your sobriety limit, you have to make DC20 Fort saves every drink, except it's to avoid passing out. +5 penalty for every drink over 5 x limit again.

For the purposes of this thing, "one drink" meets the FDA guideline thing. "One drink" contains 0.6 fluid ounces or 17 mL of alcohol. This corresponds to 12 ounces of 5% ABV beer, 5 ounces of 12% ABV wine, or 1.5 ounces of 40% ABV hard liquor.

Oh, can't forget hangovers. Passing out due to drunkenness (either failing the pass out Fort save or passing out due to puking-induced subdual damage) guarantees you will be hung over. Otherwise, on waking, make a Fort save, DC 5*your drink counter when you went to sleep. Waiting for your drink counter to reach zero before you sleep guarantees no hangover.

If hungover, you suffer 1d3 points Str damage, 1d6 con damage, and 1d3 wis damage, which all heal at a rate of 1 every 3 hours. You're also unable to see in bright lights, I forget the exact penalty for races that can't see in sunlight, but it's the same as that, except you can't see in the dark any more than usual.

Lappy9000
2008-04-01, 05:40 AM
Cityscape pg.44 has rules for drunkenness in a drinking game.

nhbdy
2008-04-01, 02:36 PM
A character has a drink limit of Constitution minus 8 drinks, to remain fully sober (a character cannot have a lower limit than one, however). For each drink over this limit, they lose 1 dex and 1 wis. Every second drink over the limit, they lose 1 int and 1 cha. But they gain 1 str per drink, up to a maximum of 2. Each drink also gives you 1d6 temporary hit points for the duration of the drunkenness (no limit).

Keep track of the number of drinks you've had. This "drink counter" decreases by one every hour, with the associated effect reduction.

So for a con of 10, your third drink you lose 1 dex and 1 wis, but you gain 1 str. Your fourth, you lose 1 dex, 1 wis, 1 int, 1 cha, and gain another str. Your fifth, you lose 1 dex and 1 wis.

If you reach 3 times your sobriety limit, then on drinking that one, and for every drink thereafter, you have to make a fort save, DC10 plus 5 for each drink over 3xsobriety. Failing the save means you puke, which deals 1d8 subdual damage and leaves you nauseated for one round. Puking also deals 1d2 points of Con damage, which heals at a rate of 1 every 3 hours.

So con of 10 again, you gotta make a DC10 save on your 6th drink, DC15 on your 7th, DC20 on your 8th, etc., to avoid puking.

At 5 times your sobriety limit, you have to make DC20 Fort saves every drink, except it's to avoid passing out. +5 penalty for every drink over 5 x limit again.

For the purposes of this thing, "one drink" meets the FDA guideline thing. "One drink" contains 0.6 fluid ounces or 17 mL of alcohol. This corresponds to 12 ounces of 5% ABV beer, 5 ounces of 12% ABV wine, or 1.5 ounces of 40% ABV hard liquor.

Oh, can't forget hangovers. Passing out due to drunkenness (either failing the pass out Fort save or passing out due to puking-induced subdual damage) guarantees you will be hung over. Otherwise, on waking, make a Fort save, DC 5*your drink counter when you went to sleep. Waiting for your drink counter to reach zero before you sleep guarantees no hangover.

If hungover, you suffer 1d3 points Str damage, 1d6 con damage, and 1d3 wis damage, which all heal at a rate of 1 every 3 hours. You're also unable to see in bright lights, I forget the exact penalty for races that can't see in sunlight, but it's the same as that, except you can't see in the dark any more than usual.

i like this, but i have a few questions. first, how many drinks would fit into a wine bottle, assuming the average drink of wine was about 4-5 ounces? and two what about the people that drink regulary? aren't they harder to get drunk?

Lord Tataraus
2008-04-01, 02:48 PM
Arms and Equipment Guide pg32 has a section on "Alcohol and Intoxication", sure its v3.0, but it still works fine.

Telonius
2008-04-01, 02:53 PM
Standard wine bottle is 750mL, with around five glasses per bottle; so 150mL (approximately 5.07 oz) per glass.

Hazkali
2008-04-01, 02:56 PM
There are many third party rules for alcohol and drunkenness, so it comes down to how in-depth you want them. This (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tournaments-Fairs-Taverns-System-Supplement/dp/1932374078/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207079673&sr=8-1) book has a very detailed set of rules, which I personally find too in-depth; if you seriously want to roleplay drunkenness, crack open the alcohols (I'll take a pint of bitter) and do it properly1. Vile Darkness has a quick and easy, broad-strokes method for all drugs, which I would say is better if you need mechanical effects. The only problem I've encountered is that even mature players can sometimes look upon drunkenness rules to roleplay out-of-control behaviour under the guise of "good roleplaying"...be warned! :smallamused:

1The poster does not encourage under-age drinking, but he does laugh at the poor souls living in a country with a legal age of 21.

RyanM
2008-04-01, 03:26 PM
i like this, but i have a few questions. first, how many drinks would fit into a wine bottle, assuming the average drink of wine was about 4-5 ounces? and two what about the people that drink regulary? aren't they harder to get drunk?

Telonius nailed number of drinks per bottle. Don't know if bottles were 750 mL in medieval times, but it's a very common size.

On tolerance, that could be simulated by having a bonus to constitution solely for inebriation rules. Say, +1 con for every drink they have daily, on a regular basis (at least 5 days out of the week). I dunno.

nhbdy
2008-04-01, 05:50 PM
thank you guys for helping me with the number of drinks per bottle and tolerance, and for you guys that are stating books i should read, i don't have them or have the money to get them at the moment (hence why i posted this on the homebrew thread and not the gaming d20 rules thread) i think that i have what i need,but if you think you have something better, by all means post it, i will check.

jindra34
2008-04-01, 07:42 PM
What about rules for getting addicted?

nhbdy
2008-04-01, 08:36 PM

ooh! not a bad idea!, how about if you start to build a tolerance to it, it becomes harder to not have it and you will suffer withdrawrals if you don't maintain at least your tolerance limit (at least enough to keep it from dropping) and withdrawls would maybe be a penalty to dexterity and charisma equal to your tolerance limit -2?

expirement10K14
2008-04-01, 08:50 PM

Book of Vile Darkness has this. After a certain amount of time without the drug, judged by your level of addiction, you have to make a for save. The more addicted the higher the save is. Then you take ability damage (Dex first, then dex and wis at higher addiction levels, then dex, wis and con, then dex, wis con and strength) depending on your level of addiction.

It also has rules for individual drug effects.

Edit: Just like to throw in that addiction levels are by drug, not by rate of use.

Mewtarthio
2008-04-01, 10:24 PM
They've also got rules for that in the "Variants" section of d20srd.org (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm#drugAddiction).