PDA

View Full Version : Rod of Seven Parts (and problems therein)...

Muz
2008-03-31, 05:57 PM
So hey, here's me coming to you folks for some DMing advice. I'm not sure if anyone's familiar with a 2nd edition AD&D (super)module called "The Rod of Seven Parts," (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Seven_Parts) but I'm currently running it. I've come up against a problem. It's a fairly (I should think) common problem in the DMing world, so advice is welcome even if you don't know the module.

Essentially the PCs have found a piece of an extremely powerful artifact weapon used in wide-ranging war between Law and Chaos. The Rod was designed to kill Chaos's major general/military mastermind, but, long story short, it merely weakened him enough to be imprisoned before the Rod broke into seven pieces. The war soon stalemated once this general was lost (thousands of years ago now).

If reassembled, the Rod could likely be used to finish this guy off...OR to break him out of his prison. Law is mostly okay with the current situation, Chaos wants their general back so they can get back to fighting. As such, Chaos is looking for the rod more actively.

The Rod is currently on the PC's world, and Chaos's search for it is causing the fabric of reality to start breaking down, at least a bit. The PCs are trying to find the pieces of the rod so they can either use it to kill off the general for good OR just plain get it off their world, either way solving the instability problem.

NOW, my problem: They'll run into a few rather powerful lawful good creatures in the course of their quest, and the module text says very little about just why these beings/creatures don't just trot along with the party and, ya know, HELP. Of course the game's a lot less fun when the party's just a few sidekicks to a powerful dragon or some other-planar ubergood, but obviously if they're playing in character, they're going to ask for help.

...Why wouldn't these creatures HELP them? :smalleek:

Any advice to keep the plot from breaking my game is appreciated. :smallbiggrin:

Solo
2008-03-31, 06:03 PM
Kill off the more powerful creatures, then let the party take over the counter-stabbing.

streakster
2008-03-31, 06:06 PM
Of course they'll help. Just give them a few thousand years to make sure that the party's goals are the best possible idea. They won't mind waiting, will they?

nerulean
2008-03-31, 06:08 PM
Put in place some kind of law stopping them from helping. As beings defined primarily by their place on the law/chaos axis, they're not going to be able to go against some edict preventing them from interfering.

Thane of Fife
2008-03-31, 06:14 PM
Any of those work - I was going to recommend the preventative edict.

Also feasible:

These creatures are helping - they're busy fighting the hosts of Tanar'i (did I spell that right?) and Slaad which the PCs don't encounter over the course of the adventure.

Or there's the classic "We'd help you, but we're busy holding the fabric of reality together long enough for you to succeed. Sorry."

The_Werebear
2008-03-31, 06:32 PM
Part of the agreement requires that people who have formally declared for one side or the other not directly participate in the precipitation of actions that could lead to further combat. Thus, the Chaotics mostly ignore it while the Lawfuls are more hesitant to provide anything other than advice and minor aid.

Prometheus
2008-03-31, 10:28 PM
How about they don't trust the PCs with the power of the rod and would rather it be in the safer hands of their stronger power?

Aquillion
2008-03-31, 10:38 PM
If reassembled, the Rod could likely be used to finish this guy off...OR to break him out of his prison. Law is mostly okay with the current situation, Chaos wants their general back so they can get back to fighting. As such, Chaos is looking for the rod more actively.

The Rod is currently on the PC's world, and Chaos's search for it is causing the fabric of reality to start breaking down, at least a bit. The PCs are trying to find the pieces of the rod so they can either use it to kill off the general for good OR just plain get it off their world, either way solving the instability problem.You answered your own question.

Muz
2008-03-31, 11:23 PM
You answered your own question.

Except for the fact that "Law" in this case is a group that doesn't just exist on the PCs' world. In general they're okay with the status quo of the war, but they might not know about the whole fabric of reality breakdown on this particular world.

And of course the lawful good types would hardly say "Yeah, I see you're trying to assemble these things and get Chaos to stop sending search parties here that mess with the fabric of reality on the world we live on, but I really wanted to stay home and paint the curtains, so I won't help."

BardicDuelist
2008-03-31, 11:25 PM
Just a heads up, the Rod of Seven Parts was updated for 3.x in AaEG. Might be worth checking out.

Also, why would chaos want a general back? So that can have somone to not listent to? (I realize that this isn't your work, but it's a thought)

Muz
2008-03-31, 11:27 PM
Just a heads up, the Rod of Seven Parts was updated for 3.x in AaEG. Might be worth checking out.

No thanks. I'm running a 2nd ed world, and I likes it that way. (I'm all old-fashioned.) :smallsmile:

Also, why would chaos want a general back? So that can have somone to not listent to? (I realize that this isn't your work, but it's a thought)

Hey, one plot-hole at a time. :smallwink:

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-04-01, 12:11 AM
Why did the rod fail to kill the general? Perhaps Law has reason to believe that it'll never kill him now and so reassembling the rod could only benefit Chaos, so it'd be more likely for the Lawful beings to hinder the PCs rather than help them.

Brawls
2008-04-01, 12:16 AM
Perhaps their help would draw undue notice from similarly powered minions from Chaos. In order for the party to have the best chances, the uber-lawful types must not associate too closely with the party, lest they draw Chaos' attention to the party (Essentially, the host of Minis Tirith drawning the attention of the "Eye of Sauron" so Sam and Frodo have a chance).

Brawls

Muz
2008-04-01, 12:26 AM
Perhaps their help would draw undue notice from similarly powered minions from Chaos. In order for the party to have the best chances, the uber-lawful types must not associate too closely with the party, lest they draw Chaos' attention to the party (Essentially, the host of Minis Tirith drawning the attention of the "Eye of Sauron" so Sam and Frodo have a chance).

Brawls

...Now why didn't _I_ think of that?! :smallbiggrin:
Thanks, Brawls (and likewise to the rest of you, since I'll likely be using multiple suggestions).

leperkhaun
2008-04-01, 12:56 AM
those other biengs have their own agenda and their own goals. While the PCs might be doing something important, those LG outsiders probably are looking at a bigger picture, working behind the scences to prevent chaos from finding the rod parts, or have been ordered to not help the mortals as maybe there is some weird cosmos law that prevents them from doing so.

Chaos does not have to play by the rules while the LG does.