PDA

View Full Version : Is Haley Pregnant? [Spoiler]

ChaoticEvilGuy
2008-03-31, 09:19 PM
okay we all know that Elan and Haley are dating. And also in Strip #404 Roy says
"...don't tell me you two are going to stop at the inn and fool around..."
Haley than replies
"OK. We won't tell you."
however this theroey is prior to Haley's relation with Elan.
In strip #324 the group is confronted by a Magic Mouth. The Magic Mouth than states
"If you are nursing, pregnant, or might become pregnant, you shouldn't visit the Oracle."
Elan gives a werided out face:smallconfused:
Roy gives an annoyed face:smallannoyed:
but Haley gives a freaked out face:smalleek:
also having the innability to talk she can't tell the other memebers of her condition. And in strip #303 it is revealed that Haleys speech problem is caused by her holding some many secrets. Than in #309 Haley reveals a long list of secrets to Elan. However one is incomplete it says
"Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call-"
than Elan interupts however, this is apparently Haley's deepest secret. She hasn't even told V about it. Could this be the deepest darkest secret in the life of Haley Starshine?:smallconfused:

EvilElitest
2008-03-31, 09:22 PM
okay we all know that Elan and Haley are dating. And also in Strip #404 Roy says
"...don't tell me you two are going to stop at the inn and fool around..."
Haley than replies
"OK. We won't tell you."
however this theroey is prior to Haley's relation with Elan.
In strip #324 the group is confronted by a Magic Mouth. The Magic Mouth than states
"If you are nursing, pregnant, or might become pregnant, you shouldn't visit the Oracle."
Elan gives a werided out face:smallconfused:
Roy gives an annoyed face:smallannoyed:
but Haley gives a freaked out face:smalleek:
also having the innability to talk she can't tell the other memebers of her condition. And in strip #303 it is revealed that Haleys speech problem is caused by her holding some many secrets. Than in #309 Haley reveals a long list of secrets to Elan. However one is incomplete it says
"Elan, it turns out I may not be exactly what you would call-"
than Elan interupts however, this is apparently Haley's deepest secret. She hasn't even told V about it. Could this be the deepest darkest secret in the life of Haley Starshine?:smallconfused:
I doubt it, i seems unlikely that she wouldn't tell when she was with elan

Also she slept with elan after hte oracle
from
EE

Paragon Badger
2008-03-31, 09:22 PM
I find it unlikely that she dun' got preggurs before the blossuming relationship with Elan...

But, it would be slightly plausible- if only because of the latent creschendo of jokes regarding her fat ass.

Gamerlord
2008-03-31, 09:28 PM
i support this theoory

ChaoticEvilGuy
2008-03-31, 09:28 PM

from
EE

she wouldn't have told Elan that she slept with another man... woud she? I mean her life is based on secrets pretty much

Felixaar
2008-03-31, 09:30 PM
Its gotta be atleast four months since that point in time, and for haley to know shes pregnant would have taken atleast a few months. I imagine haley would be obviously pregnant by five months in, more so than fat ass comments.

TroyXavier
2008-03-31, 09:32 PM
What is the obsession with every girl in the strip being pregnant....Hilgya, Celia, Haley....I don't think Rich is interested in doing it.

FoE
2008-03-31, 09:33 PM
Obviously if Elan was the father it would be showing by now. It has been several months since they were last together.

EvilElitest
2008-03-31, 09:34 PM
she wouldn't have told Elan that she slept with another man... woud she? I mean her life is based on secrets pretty much

Sure, but if she was going to be greatly hindered by something as important as, i don't know, pregnancy, i think she'd let him know. he isn't hte jelous type, look at all the girls he was with before he joined with her.
from
EE

ChaoticEvilGuy
2008-03-31, 09:41 PM
What is the obsession with every girl in the strip being pregnant....Hilgya, Celia, Haley....I don't think Rich is interested in doing it.

hey I thought about that to but seriously think about it. What was Haley freaking out about then in strip #324? She hasn't taken any Potions of Remove Disease. The only things left are nursing, pregnant, or going to become pregnant. And she's not nursing

Paragon Badger
2008-03-31, 09:45 PM
I think it's more of a reaction to the potential dangers of the Oracle than anything else.

Zeitgeist
2008-03-31, 09:46 PM
Obviously if Elan was the father it would be showing by now. It has been several months since they were last together.

This is possible, but not necessarily true by any stretch of the mind. Every woman is different.

ChaoticEvilGuy
2008-03-31, 09:46 PM
Sure, but if she was going to be greatly hindered by something as important as, i don't know, pregnancy, i think she'd let him know. he isn't hte jelous type, look at all the girls he was with before he joined with her.
from
EE

But she's afraid she'll loose him again. She knew Elans not the type to hate her if she asked him out yet she was still afraid of reject because it has happened several other times according to her Self-Loathing.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-03-31, 10:02 PM

I don't think either Haley or Celia are pregnant, but Hilgya might be, just because it gives us another look at Durkon.

It was Durkon's First Time, and he doesn't seem like the type to keep a "Dwarven Defender" in his wallet. After his tryst, he sent Hilgya away...

Hell hath no fury... :smallfurious:

Yeah, if Hilgya IS pregnant, all sorts of story possibilities can be developed.

EvilElitest
2008-03-31, 10:13 PM
But she's afraid she'll loose him again. She knew Elans not the type to hate her if she asked him out yet she was still afraid of reject because it has happened several other times according to her Self-Loathing.

1. Except she over came said self loathing
2. Pregnancy would be a major problem for somebody in here position. I think she would have mentioned it
3. No signs of her being pregnant prior to sleeping with Elan
4. No signs of it. IF she was pregnant before sleeping with Elan, then she would look it by now. She hasn't slept with anyone over the course of the comic, and its been at least 6 months.
from
EE

ChaoticEvilGuy
2008-03-31, 10:27 PM
1. Except she over came said self loathing
2. Pregnancy would be a major problem for somebody in here position. I think she would have mentioned it
3. No signs of her being pregnant prior to sleeping with Elan
4. No signs of it. IF she was pregnant before sleeping with Elan, then she would look it by now. She hasn't slept with anyone over the course of the comic, and its been at least 6 months.
from
EE

everyone here makes good points but they forget 1 thing. WHAT WAS SHE FREAKING OUT ABOUT IN STRIP #324!

Lizard Lord
2008-03-31, 10:35 PM
I am thinking she is freaking out about something in the previous panel. Such as that last symptom in the panel before the one you are talking about.

I would say the fact that that symptom is possible is enough reason for the shocked look.

Maulrus
2008-03-31, 10:42 PM
everyone here makes good points but they forget 1 thing. WHAT WAS SHE FREAKING OUT ABOUT IN STRIP #324!

She wasn't. She was just reacting to the long list of symptoms and requirements involved with the Oracle.

Also, the whole, "Nursing, pregnant, or may become pregnant", I'm doubting that that was put in there because of Haley. It's just a typical medical warning that fits in with the whole strip's joke.

Mauve Shirt
2008-03-31, 10:46 PM
The list of symptoms is so long and seemingly irrelevant, I'd think Haley is not freaking out as much as "WTF?!?"

EvilElitest
2008-03-31, 10:49 PM

Maybe she was thinking about what could happen to somebody who waspregnant when visiting the oracle and didn't like what she saw. I don't have cancer, but i know what it does to people and wouldn't look happy if i was thinking about its effects
from
EE

theinsulabot
2008-03-31, 10:51 PM
heres the comic in question

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0324.html

and that isnt freaking out. at all. its her generic expression of surprise. just like roy is wearing his very generic expression of impatiance, belkar looks annoyed. hell only elan is wearing an expression we havent seen at least a dozen times in the course of OotS, that cocked eyebrow is kind of new.

jamroar
2008-03-31, 10:53 PM

She's freaked out that a consultation with the Oracle requires so many bizarre legal disclaimers and warnings, and starting to worry that this simple visit might in fact be more hazardous than initially believed.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-03-31, 11:23 PM
Vaarsuvius is PREGNANT!!!1!

Honestly, no one is pregnant. It's a comic, and despite the Cerebus comment, it's supposed to be funny and light. Would pregnancy be funny, in and of itself? No. Then why would Rich include it, especially when there are better ways to advance the plot, and we've seen no sign of it? Really, these [spoiler] topics are getting boring and redundant. Please, everyone stop.

Trazoi
2008-03-31, 11:23 PM
She's freaked out that a consultation with the Oracle requires so many bizarre legal disclaimers and warnings, and starting to worry that this simple visit might in fact be more hazardous than initially believed.
Also I suspect Rich was trying to avoid giving any character the same expression in that panel to avoid bland repetition, so that's partly why Haley has the "surprised" look instead of another "quizzical" look.

Plus I also tend to get that reaction whenever I see something unexpected that has all those lists of medical restrictions, and due to the type of biological equipment my gender has it's highly unlikely you'd think I'd be pregnant :smallwink:

Yendor
2008-03-31, 11:37 PM
The only pregnant character in the strip is Kazumi Kato. And it's only been eight weeks for her, despite spending nearly four months with Daigo.

FujinAkari
2008-03-31, 11:55 PM
As a woman, I have about that same look of incredulous shock whenever I see that warning.

Do not take if you are going to become pregnant... when? In the next three months, three decades? A LITTLE VAGUE THERE?!?

What the hell is this going to do to my biological system that I should have to curb FUTURE EVENTS around this one?

Aaak!

David Argall
2008-03-31, 11:57 PM
It is just possible, tho unlikely, that Celia is carrying Roy Jr, but isn't showing just yet.

It is effectively impossible that Haley is.

The difference is in meta gaming. Celia can be put on the shelf until it's time for pregnancy or baby jokes. Haley is an active member of the party and her condition would be front and center, and definitely in the way when she goes out adventuring. And the baby would be inconvenient in battle too.

Now physically, Haley might not really be showing yet. A lot of women are, but she might be in the minority. But I'd say her plot purpose makes her sterile until we get to the final book or so.

Wooter
2008-04-01, 12:17 AM
Besides, I'm sure the protection spell Eugene mentioned is on th Bard spell list.

Hell, it's probably a cantrip. Then there would be no excuse not to have it.

factotum
2008-04-01, 12:20 AM

What everyone has been doing is coming up with the long list of reasons why it's extremely unlikely Haley is pregnant. Her "freaking out" in one panel of one strip (and I'd hardly call the slightly worried expression she had "freaking out") does not counteract the massive body of evidence that contradicts your theory.

turkishproverb
2008-04-01, 12:29 AM
It is just possible, tho unlikely, that Celia is carrying Roy Jr, but isn't showing just yet.

ITs even more unlikely Haley is carrying Roy Jr when you consider he doesn't do that kind've thing with the hired help.

Paragon Badger
2008-04-01, 12:55 AM
Also I suspect Rich was trying to avoid giving any character the same expression in that panel to avoid bland repetition, so that's partly why Haley has the "surprised" look instead of another "quizzical" look.

Plus I also tend to get that reaction whenever I see something unexpected that has all those lists of medical restrictions, and due to the type of biological equipment my gender has it's highly unlikely you'd think I'd be pregnant :smallwink:

Not unlikely enough! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_%28film%29)

Mewtarthio
2008-04-01, 12:59 AM

But Elan's a Dashing Swordsman with 18 Charisma! He's so damn sexy, he impregnated her retroactively!

Trazoi
2008-04-01, 01:00 AM
Not unlikely enough! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_%28film%29)
What, is fiction trying to tell us something? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MisterSeahorse)

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-04-01, 01:15 AM

Ugh, please, no. And it's been too long for any of them not to show. It's been years since we've seen Hilgya.

I hope Rich has more in store than a generic soap opera storyline for poor Durkon. OOTS is much better than that.

HamsterOfTheGod
2008-04-01, 01:34 AM

Hmm...could Tsukiko be pregnant...by the wight...what sort of template would that be???

Bavarian itP
2008-04-01, 01:38 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5435
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46211
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60623

Morgan Wick
2008-04-01, 01:51 AM

If Hilgya WAS pregnant, the kid's gotta be pushing a year old by now.

This whole thread's existence makes me so angry I could throw my laptop in the wall. If it weren't for some of the people here I'd come on these forums every day. Instead, if it weren't for the Sticks Awards, the strip discussion threads, and the fact the RSS feed can only be automatically checked once a day I wouldn't come here at all. There are WAY too many people like this who latch on to some minor meaningless detail that barely even needs to be explained (you wanna know why no one explained that look before this post? BECAUSE THEY'RE EFFING NORMAL PEOPLE) and use it to develop some wild and crazy theory no matter how much it may be out-and-out contradicted by later evidence.

I could cite Belkar's failure to get out of the way here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0409.html) as evidence Belkar has a deathwish and doesn't want to admit it to the rest of the OOTS. In fact, there's a lot stronger a case for it than for this, since Belkar's whole "game" with Miko during the trial was done with the express aim of having Miko kill him, and I have no other explanation for that scene in #408-409. (No matter how stupid you may be, pure survival instinct says you either get out of the way or fight back when a madwoman with a sword comes running at you prepared to put said sword in your skull.) But I don't make a post about it because I can't square it with Belkar's ultimate reason for reconsidering hooking up with Xykon (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0521.html), among other things. And I certainly don't make a post about it, have my position destroyed, and then whinily yell "But #408-409! WAAAAAH!!!!!!!!11!!!111!!eleven!" And certainly not based on my wrong assumption of what's going on in the first place!

Sorry, had to vent. (Not with a Coors Light, though.)

†Seer†
2008-04-01, 01:52 AM
Hmm...could Tsukiko be pregnant...by the wight...what sort of template would that be???

Incestual Demi-Life-Wight....

Or something scarier.

The Hop Goblin
2008-04-01, 02:11 AM
You know... I'm kind of up there with the folks who think this angle doesn't need to be done - period. I mean you could watch Degrassi Jr High if you want that sort of melodrama.

I would like to see, however, Belkar have offspring - and see exactly what that would do to His outlook on life, just to see if his evil is unswerving.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-04-01, 06:54 AM
Originally Posted by Surfing HalfOrc
If Hilgya WAS pregnant, the kid's gotta be pushing a year old by now.

Um, no. If Hilgya was pregnant, she would be due about now, or would have a baby only about 1 months old...

Check at the Kilo-Nazi chart on Belkar (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0489.html). Belkar's "Evilness" drops steeply when he meets Roy, then runs steady for the remainder of the year, spiking when Belkar tried to kill Miko. At the time of Roy's death, it had only been about nine months since the Order had formed.

The resistance has been going on for about four months, meaning that it's only been about 12-13 months since Roy recruited the Order for his quest to take down Xykon. There is an unknown, but probably short lag time from leaving the tavern until meeting the Linear Guild and Durkon's "adventure" with Hilgya.

(Now, for the true test of geekiness)
According to the "Book of Erotic Fantasy," the dwarven gestation period is twelve months. :smalltongue:

As for story opportunities, Durkon is the best to play off this scenario... Would the VERY Lawful-Good Durkon take Hilgya back for the sake of the baby? Would Durkon quit adventuring, like Eugene did? What if Hilgya went to Durkon's hometown (home tunnels? Homecave?) to settle down a raise a baby? How would that affect Durkon returning home, and the prophesy from Odin?

Roy and Celia or Elan and Haley don't really offer the story opportunities that Durkon and Hilgya offer. And since Hilgya's pregnancy would have happened "off-stage," we the audience would end up just as suprised as Durkon should Hilgya return.

someonenonotyou
2008-04-01, 07:27 AM
what about Therkla she could be to:smallbiggrin:

chrono
2008-04-01, 07:41 AM
As a woman, I have about that same look of incredulous shock whenever I see that warning.

Do not take if you are going to become pregnant... when? In the next three months, three decades? A LITTLE VAGUE THERE?!?

What the hell is this going to do to my biological system that I should have to curb FUTURE EVENTS around this one?

Aaak!

I was gonna say something along these lines but now I don't have to. In a word that warning of what may happen to your childbirth organs is like saying to a guy "... and you MAY experience a strong kick in the balls". It's wince-worthy material no matter how you look at it.

At any rate, I'm not sure why people are so confident pregnancy would show or that it would hinder Haley's rogue abilities... I don't really remember seeing rules for advancing pregnancy, which in itself would make for a decent joke.
*baby pops out*
*everybody stares in disbelief*
Haley: "What?"

I don't think there is much solid evidence either for or against pregnancy, but I would wager that if we have a pregnant female that we don't know about, Haley isn't it.

Callista
2008-04-01, 01:19 PM
If the pregnancy began at the latest possible point--the night before the Azure City battle--she'd know by now. Any earlier, and she'd also be showing. About 4 months is when it gets very hard to hide a pregnancy--though you could do it with a Disguise check... If she was actually pregnant before the Oracle, that Disguise check would be really high.

hamishspence
2008-04-01, 01:37 PM
I remember being told that sometimes it doesn't show till very late, and in rare cases menstruation can carry on through pregnancy, and so some women find themselves totally surprised by labour.

While it is EXTREMELY rare, its not impossible that Haley could be pregnant, late, and unaware of it.

However, I do agree that this is highly improbable, and there is a over strong tendency for people to make unwarranted assumptions.

Lunaya
2008-04-01, 02:18 PM
What, is fiction trying to tell us something? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MisterSeahorse)
Gah! Belkar's been having chocolate cravings. How do we know he's not pregnant? :smallamused:

Seriously, the only real evidence of Haley, Celia, etc. being pregnant is the fact that they happen to be female and have boyfriends.

The Wanderer
2008-04-01, 02:59 PM
What was Haley freaking out about then in strip #324?

The sheer length of the disclaimer.

The Wanderer
2008-04-01, 03:03 PM
There are WAY too many people like this who latch on to some minor meaningless detail that barely even needs to be explained (you wanna know why no one explained that look before this post? BECAUSE THEY'RE EFFING NORMAL PEOPLE) and use it to develop some wild and crazy theory no matter how much it may be out-and-out contradicted by later evidence.

Ditto. I have to restrict my urge to argue with fanboys/girls because it frustrates me too much and has an affect on my mental health for no good reason at all. As a result my posting within the past month or two has plummeted.

David Argall
2008-04-01, 03:04 PM
ITs even more unlikely Haley is carrying Roy Jr when you consider he doesn't do that kind've thing with the hired help.

a-Celia wasn't the hired help at the time.
b-"Doesn't do that kind've thing" contains the silent clause "unless really tempted".
c-see 318.

Ikialev
2008-04-01, 03:23 PM
The sheer length of the disclaimer.

Or maybe she took a level in FuturePsionic[^^], she futureheard about erections lasting for longer than 4 hours, and she was all omg, because she is a man.

Cyclotis
2008-04-01, 03:39 PM

The Chinese did it (http://www.malepregnancy.com/).

CasESenSITItiVE
2008-04-01, 08:07 PM
wow, i wonder how hailey was able to go well over 3 months of pregnancy without showing at all?

dogmac
2008-04-01, 08:10 PM
wow, i wonder how hailey was able to go well over 3 months of pregnancy without showing at all?

She obviously has VERY good stomach muscles!

Callista
2008-04-01, 08:12 PM
I remember being told that sometimes it doesn't show till very late, and in rare cases menstruation can carry on through pregnancy, and so some women find themselves totally surprised by labour.Yes, generally this happens when the woman is very overweight. Haley isn't.

This would likely be her first pregnancy, though, so it would show later than subsequent ones.

Callista
2008-04-01, 08:13 PM
The Chinese did it (http://www.malepregnancy.com/). Aw, cm'on, everybody knows that site's a joke...

FujinAkari
2008-04-01, 08:16 PM
b-"Doesn't do that kind've thing" contains the silent clause "unless really tempted".
c-see 318.

David, that was sarcasm. Read what you wrote:

I think we can all agree that it is even MORE impossible that Haley is carrying Roy Jr. than you meant :P

turkishproverb
2008-04-02, 01:17 AM
c-see 318.

Erm:

David, that was sarcasm. Read what you wrote:

I think we can all agree that it is even MORE impossible that Haley is carrying Roy Jr. than you meant :P

What she(?) said.