PDA

View Full Version : IC Droaam Expedition - Benejeseret

Benejeseret
2008-03-31, 10:37 PM
Around you mingles the Eye-Gouger clan in vast numbers, awaiting the arrival of the Orge-Mage Calach. Nearly every race of Droaam is present in the horde, and the smell of wet fur and grungy beast gags the throat.

In the distance the drummers start their pounding beats. The pulse of the Crag. From dusk until dawn these drummers sound out the will of the Sisters, and it is reflected in every Orc step, every Gnoll sway. Night is the coming of the fires, huge pillars throughout the tangles of the Crag below. With the parting of the darkness with fire-light across the broken cliff face Calach rears over the crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pTPBv2l5X0&feature=related

“Quiiiiiiet!,” the hush is immediate save the grunts of excitement, “Dis be da horde a’Eye-Gougers! Dis be da horde dat crush shakes dem mountains! And dees be da words of da Clan!”

A meaty finger thrusts towards your group, “Power, Strength, Moneys. Dees be the tings this lot gonna bring us!” The tide of the horde breaks over you in deep, rhythmic grunts. The growing chant takes over, rumbling throughout the steppes of the broken hills. Soon the bonfires, booze, and wrestling blur the evening into blackness.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

The winds whip through hide banners all around erected upon stone-hewn piles brandishing adorned pikes. You awake on the edge of the Great Crag, its gapping maw stretching behind and into the morning mists pouring over the edge in the winds. The morning is pre-dawn, humid, dew soaked and dingy.

It seems you were dumped here at the edge of the Crag, and your equipment and supplies roughly tossed into the lone wagon by your clansmen. A few of the Gnoll smunderlings (cause they’re smelly and underlings) are already stirring and readying the old oxen into place at the yoke.

Your party is twenty-four strong with the eight champions, fifteen Gnoll smunderlings and Finger-Death, the ornery Oxen tethered to the wagon. Smarsh, the alchemist magewright, is stooping near Finger-Death holding a long parchment case. He and most of the crew await Knaath, and the strange parcel delivered to him by the Orge-Mage himself three nights earlier.

[Enter the PC’s]

Boggs
2008-04-01, 12:22 AM
Lukas sits on the edge of the wagon, patiently awaiting for the time to leave. When Gnoll smunderlings pass by, he growls at them, not patient enough to put up with their constant yapping.

He hops off the wagon, pulls out an arrow and begins cleaning his teeth. Staring at the sky, he kneels down to pick up a bit of debris, seeing the way it drifts in the wind.

[roll0]

Chronicled
2008-04-01, 12:53 AM
Jarkko retrieves his spellbook from his satchel, and spends fifteen minutes tracing the runes within. Then, he stows the book and pulls out a carved stick and a vial, muttering and drawing symbols on his body with the vial's liquid. Done, he watches for Knaath's arrival by the wagon.

Rememorize Mage Armor and False Life; then cast them, Extended with the metamagic rod.

[roll0]

serow
2008-04-01, 04:21 AM
Kaej, sitting by the wagon, takes out a small patch of smelling weed. Holding it with a few fingers, he carefully ignites a small portion of it by channeling the briefest of energies into it, then shaking the weed, leaving a very mild smell.

He sniffs it, and mutters under his breath about how long the wait is.

Cast Draconic Flight on myself, and Enduring Elements on everyone else. ASF = 20%, but just keep casting until it's active on everyone.

Duke of URL
2008-04-01, 06:53 AM
Knaath

The flind warleader sees the group assembling for their journey. Hmm... let them wait a little while... it will remind them who's in charge. He makes sure his equipment is on just right, including adjusting his heavy plate armor and checking his flail-like flindbar to make sure it is ready for use. He may be a hair shorter than his gnoll cousins, but he's powerfully built. His armor shows signs of both use and care.

Knaath picks up the mysterious package. For the last three days he's been tempted to peek inside, but as it's destined for a dusk hag, who knows what's inside, or how it might be protected? Discretion wins over curiosity. For now, at least.

He mulls over the mission. It is a great opportunity, but fraught with risks. Not only will the mining operation need to be built and defended, but the interests of the clan need to be enforced, especially when dealing with the representatives of House Tharashk.

It is time.

Knaath strides confidently toward the assembling team. He pays little notice to the smunderlings, but greets the other champions and Smarsh warmly. "A fine morning, the dawn of a great era! Is everyone prepared for adventure, glory, and profit?"

serow
2008-04-01, 10:33 AM
"I'm ready. Kaej." says Kaej, jabbing himself with his thumb briefly, smelling weed held in his other hand. "Lead the way."

GimliFett
2008-04-01, 10:47 AM
Gremmar Blooddance

Walking over from the group of smunderlings comes a slight gnoll, shorter than most, but something about his stance radiates power and confidence. "A glorious day, cousin! Praise The Fury!" Yellow eyes look around at those assembled, seemingly peering deep into the viewed's very being. "I am Gremmar Blooddance, Chosen of The Fury! Rejoice for we live another day! Another opportunity to make our place in this world that much stronger!" The gnoll's voice rises to a ringing crescendo with the final word.

Gremmar's chain shirt gleams whenever sunlight strikes it, though a few places here and there refuse to shine, covered as they are in dark red splotches. A bright green, circular crystal is affixed to the shirt over the sternum. A well-worn, but finely crafted rapier is sheathed at his belt and a shortbow rides in the quiver on his opposite hip. His left hand carries a darkwood shield, also covered in red splotches. Affixed to the center of the shield is a blue cabachon-cut sapphire. A close inspection reveals a flint arrowhead within. On his feet are a pair of crocodile-skin boots, odd for a gnoll, but somehow they seem form-fitting and appropriate.

Nomad5
2008-04-01, 12:41 PM
Maosh

Maosh begins this morning with prayers and ritual, facing out to the opportunity and trail laying before this assembled band. Kneeling he is still almost as tall as many of the smunderlings that are scurrying about their morning duties. Using a large bone dagger upon his arms as he lets his blood flow to begin this day, he mumbles to himself mimicking the devout he had seen at the temple. Not too much is needed for today. Great thanks to him. Let chaos be.

Hearing Knaath, Maosh rises to ready to leave. Standing at just under 10' tall, he is the largest of the group and well exercised, a strong looking beast, though not especially so for a giantkin. His body, not covered by any armor, is covered with scarring, markings, and piercings of many kinds, as well as his own free flowing blood at the moment. His only items seem to be his pack and his club. He wears a ring and dull bracers, both stained with blood and age, and a single necklace lined with tusked teeth and holding what may be an onyx, or a grimy rock.

Maosh smiles at Knaath's words. He has always been one to smell opportunity when it blew past him, and this day wreaked of it. "Today we start." Looking at Kaej, "Maosh ready too."

Ivius
2008-04-01, 04:21 PM
As he had been doing for the last few months, he grabbed his spellbook (bound in the stickiest sap he could find, with a thin slate cover) and read the familiar runes and symbols, memorizing as many spells as his head could hold. He put on a blue headband, understanding the mysteries of life slightly better afterwards. He finally took out his spear, dropping it and letting it fly back into his hand a few times (that never got old). Hearing the Gnoll right as he finished, he responded "I am ready!"

Chronicled
2008-04-01, 05:12 PM
"Let's be off already. I'm not being paid to stand here," Jarkko says, his toothy mouth forming a grin.

Boggs
2008-04-01, 05:53 PM
Lukas hears the chatter coming from the group, readying themselves for their mission. He puts the arrow back in his quiver and quickly adjusts his gear making it fit more comfortably amongst all his hair. Looking back to the group, he walks over to them and speaks in a baritone, husk voice, "Lukas is ready to, sir. Am I to assume that I'll be taking point on the ground?" He smiles after asking the question, That's my favorite place to be; gives me a chance to take some quick shots at any enemies before being noticed.

Benejeseret
2008-04-01, 07:48 PM
Smarsh approaches Knaath, ears back and the white of his eyes showing the trembling fear staring downward to his clawed feet. He extends the parchment case towards the warleader and the scouts.

The alchemist scrambles back to the horde of smunderlings and whips them into action. Finger-Death begins the week long journey toward the enclave of the Hag.

MAP
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk303/benejeseret/DroaamHag.jpg

Instructions for Travel

If you want to continue chats, now is the time to switch over to the campfire thread. That is a great place to coordinate strategy and tactics.

Knaath and Scouts - determine the marching order and how how hard to march the horde. There are roughly 112 miles to cover and the oxen cart normally (8h march) travels 16/day. You can force march or hustle everyone if you desire.

Everyone - You will have (roughly) 8 hours of down time each day in the camp. Please post any week/day skill checks you want to perform during this time. This could include crafts, spells cast, professions, survival to supplement food supply, etc. etc.

serow
2008-04-01, 11:31 PM
Kaej

With a slight grin at his mouth, Kaej says "Second point, from the air." Faint ghost-like wings emerge from his back as Kaej draws on the power of his sorcery, and his feet leave the ground a short distance (about 15 feet up). Kaej can fly much higher, but he would rather not draw attention from too far away.

OOC: Just to confirm, Kaej will cast Enduring Elements on everyone. It's basically the Endure Elements spell for 24 hours, plus they are immune to my breath weapon. If we're going to choose a spot to stop, Kaej would want to cast Magic Insight (Detect Magic) to scan the area first. It's unlimited use, so might as well just use it. And damn my skills aren't correctly set up to be a scout, but oh well...

Madmal
2008-04-02, 06:56 PM
Reksheen

"Show off. But if it's really necessary for the trip. Hmph." Reksheen shrugs and lays on a side.

Nomad5
2008-04-02, 07:11 PM
Maosh

Maosh moves to the front of the group, getting room for his longer stride and away from some of the smell, and sets his eyes down the great crag into the plains. It will be very open down there, but getting away from the Graywall Road sounds good to me. He watches Kaej create his wings and fly off. He laughs a little at the sight. That would be fun to try to hit my club. I wonder how far he would fly then?

As they walk he eventually talks to Knaath, "I can help with scouts. Or maybe I keep the smunders in line?"

Benejeseret
2008-04-03, 11:36 AM
The day is dreary and long. Dust kicked up by those in front crusts into the sweat stained crevices of your armour. The smunderlings complain, but keep up the pace in the dying of the light.

The scouts find a small alcove against the rockface lining the road. Fatigued, the crew drops packs and gear into the curve of the granite. The sun is dipping near the horizon against the mountain peaks.

The shelter is just off the dirt road, inlaid as a 10' high alcove 10' deep and 30' long against a cliff face of granite 25' high on the eastern side of the road. To the west of the road runs a dense, dying, forest. Poplar trees spread small slashes of green amid the dark brown and decaying backdrop of ancient oaks.

[[ there is roughly 16 hours until you will be marching again. You can sleep in shifts or setup guards (can use smunderlings etc) as you wish. There is time for each character to craft/hunt(survival) what-have-you.

I am looking for long term (8hr) actions here and not immediate stuff (that can continue in campfire chatter as usual).

State your action over the time/roll as appropriate, state where roughly you'll sleep and when.

whomever chooses to guard etc please post spot/listen checks and what times you are on watch (ie. first 4 hours, first eight hours, last eight hours, last two hours) ]]

serow
2008-04-04, 03:40 AM
Kaej will spend some time checking out the surroundings of the cliff from the air, to get a better feel of the surroundings. Afterwards, he'll probably try some simple hunting or what, to lessen the load on the portable rations. I suppose since he's not going too far from the resting point and there's 8 hours worth of time, it'll be mostly take 10s. He'll offer to take the 8th-12th hour of the watch. Not too particular about where he sleeps, with the rest of the group.
Spot[roll0]
Listen[roll1]

Nomad5
2008-04-04, 11:08 AM
Maosh

Ah, the sore muscles after a long day. This will be a good test of our strength. The best thing for us tonight will be to stay warm. "I find wood." Maosh points at two smunderlings at motions for them to follow while grunting at them.

Maosh will do what he can about the normal business of a camp, or rather push/help the smunderlings to get it done. He will join the first watch and use the rest of the time to sleep. If a hunting party goes out, he will join.
Survival [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Spot [roll2]

Duke of URL
2008-04-04, 01:47 PM
Knaath

Let's see... how to deploy the watches? I'll keep the House Tharashk folks separated, I think. And make sure there's a warrior and a magician in each pairing, if I can.

"Okay, we take four watches, four hours each. Jarrko, would you care to join me for the first watch? After that, let's have Grim and Lukas take a turn, followed by Rekseen and Kaej, and finally Maosh and Ereb. If you want to have the smunderlings help, go ahead, but let them have enough rest so they can march tomorrow."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-04-04, 01:48 PM
Edited: ((According to PM posts I received, I see the night is to be split into 4 shifts:

1-4 = Knaath and Jarrko
5-8 = Grim and Lukas take a turn, followed by
8-12 = Kaej and Rekseen
13-16 = Ereb and Maosh

I will await everyone to post actions and listen/spot checks (or assign the last few and roll them if needed)

Once the guard checks are done I will post success of all actions (like survival) and move us along.))

Boggs
2008-04-04, 07:45 PM
Lukas leans on his sturdy bow, giving a quick, "Yes sir, understood," after his duties have been assigned. "Is it okay if I take a few small Gnolls for a quick scout around the campsite? May be able to find some extra food and a water source to refill our supply."

Lukas will take three smunderling with him for a quick hunt and patrol of the camp. If he finds trouble, he has made arrangements to fire a flaming arrow into the sky as a signal.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Benejeseret
2008-04-06, 10:42 AM
The two hunting parties return with moderate success, returning with enough meat to feed eight. The local forest has a few nests of short running birds that donated their flesh and eggs to the cause. Maosh ran across one such nest while collecting tinder near a brook. His two smunderlings quickly took them.

While out, Lukas noticed the far clouds wisping around the mountain peaks. They are far off and experience tells him that the days journey will be clear and warm, but the next night will likely be cold and rainy.

((OOC:since we have at least one roll from each time slot - shame on you who did not roll - I will assume the other member of the watch was distracted by duties and go by the main rolls.

[roll0]

A second post will follow based on the above roll, please wait for it))

Benejeseret
2008-04-06, 04:05 PM
Maosh and Ereb stand over the dying light of the campfire under a dim glow of the pre-dawn sky. The smunderings and the rest of the party are fast asleep within the rock alcove.

Maosh

A small rock skips and rambles its way down the cliff face. Glancing upward you see two goblin assassins scaling the upper edges of the overhang above your sleeping companions.

You get to make one full round action before they act.

How Combat Will Run

First off, no initiative. I will judge based on situation and the types of enemies and assign which group goes first and assign out any special cases.

(in this case, Maosh gets one round, and then it will be the goblins, and then all of you, including Maosh, and then goblins, all of you, goblin, you....etc.)

This way we are not waiting on particular people within one round.

Please use the following Format:

RP: character actions etc followed by

Goblin Assassin (round 1)
HP= something / total, AC=16, touch=14, Flatfooted=16

Move: 5' step to where-ever
Standard: Shoots at ______ ([-roll] 1d20+N [-/roll] ) for [-roll] 1dN [-/roll] piercing damage
Free/Swift: He scowls at Maosh
Then any special modifiers, conditions, OOC questions etc.

Tactical Positions:
Most of you are spread out (prone and asleep) around the alcove. Maosh and Ereb are outside on the road midway along the alcove.

The Goblin Assassins Maosh noticed are 15' above the sleepers along the outcrop of rock overlooking the road. They do not have line of sight to inside the alcove.

Nomad5
2008-04-07, 12:07 AM
Maosh

In an instant, as the rack slides from the top of the alcove, time slows a moment for Maosh. And it begins. Who wants to doom this mission? And so soon... As Maosh notices the goblin assassins he glances at Ereb, another goblin, and sees him apparently more interested in the stars and constellations than the watch of the night.

Maosh judges the height of the assassins as he rises and charges the climbers. As he nears the alcove, running, he raises a roar of warning to those sleeping and reaches for the assassins. These will be better alive.

Maosh (pre-round 1)
HP=44/44, AC=18 , Touch=10, Flatfooted=17

Move: Charges at assassins. Jumps if necessary. (Reach 16' so shouldn't have to.) Jump: [roll0]
Standard: Grapple attack on either assassin (maybe knocking the other down in the process?)
Grapple: [roll1] for Damage: [roll2] (non-lethal)
Free/Swift: Warns the others of the attack with a ferocious charge yell.

{3 OOC Questions-
1) Should the above be in a spoiler?
2) I am not sure on the unarmed damage of d8.
3) Can I charge and grapple? I did not add the +2 if I can. }

Benejeseret
2008-04-07, 11:53 AM
Opening Round

The savage growl of the towering ogre rumbles the small alcove. Most are shaken from their slumber.

but flatfooted and prone until their turn

Meaty hands slam into the wall and roots, grasping for the little goblin. The attempt misses yet the force of the large humanoid's powerful charge rocks the wall with enough force to dislodge the two climbers. They tumble to the ground unharmed.

Maosh needed a Touch Attack to initiate the grapple. I rolled it out for you (1d20+9) (12) which unfortunately missed. His unarmed damage is currently 1d4+6 as a large creature with amulet of mighty fists. I would have let you add in the +2d6 charge and treated it as a flying tackle...if it hit. I added the +2 charge to the Touch Attack attempt.

The area all around erupts with a quite flurry of motion. Crossbow bolts fly unexpectedly out of the western forest edge. One clips Eerb Derer in the right flank, cutting into his vital regions. The other whistles past Maosh's head and cuts into the moist earth. Each of the western snipers dip back into the shadows of the forest. ((Need to pass a DC=10 spot check to see where they are hiding.))

The two goblins surrounding Maosh recover quickly from their fall and each jump back from the roaring beast. The farther one (out of reach) pulls out a wand and mumbles in goblinoid while twirling. Thick, viscous mucus spews from it's tip and coats a large section of the ground beneath Maosh and much of the surrounding cavern. The ogre instinctively steadies himself with a hand grabbing a dangling root above to stay standing. ((I rolled your reflex save and it was a nat20))

The second little beast turns his jump onto a silent charge through the awakening sleepers and leaps upon Jarkko Dawes. His small dagger aimed at the groggy changling's throat. The blade sinks into flesh, but sheer luck keeps the otherwise mortal strike for doing much damage. ((Where is the 4 armor points coming from on Jarkko?))

Combat Summary round one

-Maosh missed but knocked the two goblins down

-Eerb takes 11 points of damage from the sneaky bolt in his back
- Jarkko takes 7 points of damage from the dagger at his throat.

-Two snipers are hidden (DC10 spot) in the western forest.
-One goblin with a grease wand is in the open along the road.
-One goblin is beside the prone Jarkko Dawes and threatens his square but no-one else.

-Maosh needs to make a balance check to move out of the grease (half speed and DC=10)

Round 1
[All of you can now post your actions over the next 24hrs in any order you please. I will assume that anyone who has not posted by Weds morning is still asleep despite the commotion and will leave you there snoring (or gutted if the assassins make it to you).]

Duke of URL
2008-04-07, 01:03 PM
Knaath (round 1)
HP=56/56, AC=14, touch=11, Flatfooted=14 (currently unarmored)

Move: Stand from prone position
Standard: Ready weapon (second move)
Free: Snarls "Get 'em!"

Ivius
2008-04-07, 03:54 PM
Eerb (round 1)
HP=24/24, AC=13, touch=13, Flatfooted=11

Full Round: Use Summon Monster III to summon several (1d3) fiendish medium vipers.

1d3

EDIT: Board roller isn't working, I'm gonna use Invisible Castle http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1554673/

GimliFett
2008-04-07, 04:44 PM
Gremmar Blooddance (round 1)
HP = 50/50; AC= 20, touch=14, flat=16 {+2 AC vs ranged}

Grim seems to stand and ready his shield at the same moment as his rapier practically appears in his hand. He bares his teeth in a feral grin. "To arms, brethren! The Fury calls us to an early breakfast!" he barks out.

Move: Stand from prone.
Standard: Ready shield (+2 AC vs ranged; thank you Lesser Crystal of Arrow Deflection).
Free: Draw Rapier (thank you Lesser Crystal of Return).
Free: Speak.

serow
2008-04-07, 09:20 PM
Kaej Krassha (round 1)
HP = 85/85, AC= 16, Touch = 10, Flatfooted = 16

Move: Get up from prone.
Standard (if a cone won't hit Jarkko): Use breath weapon (15ft cone of slow, DC 19 Fortitude or be Slowed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/slow.htm) for 2 rounds, save for 1 round
Standard (if a cone would hit Jarkko): Use breath weapon (30ft line of lightning, 1d6 lightning damage, DC 19 Reflex for half; creature taking any damage becomes Entangled and takes 1d6 of lightning damage for [roll0] rounds)
Free: "Disturbing sleep is a bad idea!"

EDIT: Entangled and ongoing lightning damage woiuld last for (1d4) = 3 rounds (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1554933/)

Madmal
2008-04-07, 10:52 PM
Reksheen (round 1)
HP= 55/55, AC=21, Touch=13, Flatfooted=18

Move:Gets up from prone
Standard: Readies weapon (Crossbow and crossbow bayonet)
Free: "curse those! i needed my sleep!"

Nomad5
2008-04-07, 11:28 PM
Maosh

Damned slippery beasts. Maosh considers his options for ridding the camp of these pests. Not having wielded his club already, there is little to do but pummel the creature that has become such a nuisance.

Maosh (round 1)
HP=44/44, AC=18, Touch=10, Flatfooted=17

Move: Moves out of grease. Balance:
Standard: Grapple attack on greasy assassin Touch: [roll1] Grapple: 1d20+13 for Damage: [roll2] (non-lethal)
Free/Swift: Growls at the goblin.

Boggs
2008-04-08, 01:09 AM
Lukas (Round 1)
HP=66/66 AC=20 Touch=15 Flat-footed=15

Lukas springs to his feet at the alarm. Immediately he grabs his bow and knocks an arrow. Unaware of how many enemies are afoot, he takes a brief look around to familiarize himself with the imminent threat.

Move: Stand from prone.
Standard: Prepare weapon.
Free: Spot check and whispers, "Come on, you bastards, show me your eyes..."

[roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-04-08, 03:42 PM
Jarkko Dawes (Round 1) (NPC'd by request-player illness)
HP=29/36 AC=13 Touch=13 Flat-footed=10

Jarkko clutches his gashed throat and barrel rolls away from the assassin. He rolls right over a smunderling before suddenly blinking out of sight.

Move: 5' roll away
Standard: Casts Invisibility
Free: -

Benejeseret
2008-04-08, 04:22 PM
Round 1

The ground shudders as the massive stumps called legs beneath Maosh flip violently out from beneath him, smashing his back and shoulders into the earth. The ogre is prone and flailing within the grease. This causes his attacker great glee. The little one almost jumps for joy but is quickly coward as a cascade of lightning streaks through the morning light. He instead turns and sends another blast of grease along the entrance to the alcove proper.

(basically, now everyone needs to make balance checks DC=10 if moving out of the alcove.)

As the spew of grease splashes across the rocky floor many of the smunderlings trying to flee the cave or charge the assassins slip and tumble back into the muck.

The assassin over Jarkko never sees the mage's disappearance as the lightning arcs directly into his chest, searing his leather jerkin. Smaller arks continue to flash and jump around his small frame. Despite his most malice efforts to ready his crossbow and pin Kaej to a wall he can hardly his fingers through the electronic spasms of his muscles. He ops instead to rush at the bringer of lightning in a jerky, spasmed, charge. The small dagger slashes across the dragon shaman's thigh.

Again bolts fly out of the western forest. One catches Reksheen's forearm and bites deep. Gremmar's shield reflects another to a harmless path into the dirt. A smunderling miner still on the ground yelps at it pierces the dirt a few inches from his hand. Once again the pair ducks behind the trees akwardly. (DC=4 spot.....).

Summary
Kaej takes 2 slashing damage
Reksheen takes 5 piercing damage

The goblin in the alcove takes 4 electric damage, is entangled.

there is now a strip of goo along the edges of the alcove, so balance=10 to move outside of the cave.

(Back to all of you)

Nomad5
2008-04-08, 05:01 PM
Maosh (Round 2)

Even with this setback, Maosh does not see the encounter as a loss to the group yet. A survivor would be valuable to the group, and maybe provide for some excellent amusement. However seeing his companions rise from their sleep so well armed, he doubts there may be any soon.

Move: Moves out of grease. (Again) Balance: [roll0]
Standard: Grapple attack on greasy assassin (Again) Touch: [roll1] Grapple: [roll2] for Damage: [roll3] (non-lethal)
Free/Swift: Focus on balance.

serow
2008-04-09, 01:58 AM
Kaej (round 2)
HP = 83/85, AC = 16, Touch = 10, Flatfooted = 16

Kaej looks at the assassin, bravely trying to get to him while being entangled and suffering the ongoing spasms, and shakes his head. He gathers more sorcerous energy into the space between his thumb and index finger and releases it.

Standard: Use breath weapon (15ft cone of slow, DC 19 Fortitude or be Slowed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/slow.htm) for 2 rounds, save for 1 round
Move: Fly diagonally away from the assassin, towards the greased patch. Will risk the AoO for leaving threatened area.
Free: "Brave. But foolish."

OOC: This is in order, Kaej will blast the assassin at point-blank before moving away. Breath Weapon is (Su), no AoO. But movement might provoke.

Boggs
2008-04-09, 06:58 AM
Lukas (Round 2)

Lukas takes note of the bolts coming from the forest. He focuses his eyes, trying to adjust from having been suddenly awakened. In an instant, he sees the culprits in the distance, There you are...

He releases his first arrow at one then quickly fires another at the adjacent enemy.

Full Round Action: Rapid Shot; separating attacks for two assassins in the forest.

First Shot: 1d20+6 for Damage: [roll0]+[roll1]
Second Shot: 1d20+6 for Damage: +[roll3]

EDIT: For Some reason the attack rolls didn't work. I don't know why...
Try again? [roll]1d20+6 and 1d20+6

And I am confused...

(OOC: I did a Spot Check on my first round getting a 26; I assumed I see them.)

Duke of URL
2008-04-09, 07:43 AM
Knaath (round 2)
HP=56/56, AC=14, touch=11, Flatfooted=14 (currently unarmored)

Option 1:

Move: Close to goblin assassin in cave (current speed 30' since unarmored)
Standard: [roll0], [roll1]
Free: "Take that, filthy assassin!"

Option 2 (if cave assassin is already disposed of):

Move: Run outside, [roll2]
Standard: Use attack and damage from above if any enemy is in reach, otherwise use combat expertise at -5 AB to gain +5 AC

Duke of URL
2008-04-09, 07:50 AM
(( I hate making typos in rolls... the damage roll was supposed to be 2d4, not just d4... add [roll0] additional damage ))

Benejeseret
2008-04-09, 09:37 AM
Lukas
[roll0] and second [roll1]

If they crit confirm rolls: [roll2] and [roll3]

Hope this works. Also, is there a crystal of lifedrinking as well?

Update Mid-Round
Knaath takes down the inside goblin who continues to twitch and arc electricity. (he is not dead but unlikely to stabilize and at about -6 hp).

There will be a AoO for the flight of Kaej that I will include in the final round summary afterward.

Boggs
2008-04-09, 03:42 PM
Yes, there is a Crystal of Life Drinking but I haven't been injured yet, thus no healing. Also, the first one does an extra 2d10 acid damage for the critical [roll0].

Madmal
2008-04-09, 10:45 PM
Reksheen (round 2)
HP= 50/55, AC=21, Touch=13, Flatfooted=18

Reksheen quickly scans the forest paying no heed to the bolt buried on her forearm for now.

Move:Load Crossbow
Free: spot check:[roll0]
Standard: Fires bolt at nearest assassin in the forest
Attack:[roll1] Damage:[roll]d8[/rolll]

Note:
-Least Iron ward Diamond gives me 1/- until it has prevented 10 dmg.
-Point blank shot feat not included in the rolls.

EDIT. well, that roll was crappy....and i doubt i'll have to reroll the damage, but i'll wait for Benes...

Benejeseret
2008-04-10, 08:56 AM
Mid-er-Round Update
one of the two snipers died a horrible death.

Reksheen fails to see the one in the trees (bad angle?) and so fires at the one on the path/in the open....it misses.

Benejeseret
2008-04-12, 01:24 PM
Round 2

Within the back of the cave Kaej lets forth another blast, catching the assassin and a few smunderlings in a wave of slowing exhaust. The assassins struggles against the spasms to strike at those around him but finds his arms painfully slow to respond. He barely has time to lift his red eyes to the Flindbar arcing down. It is the last thing he ever sees.

At the edge of the camp Maosh continues to slip and slide around. The massive ogre keeps upright, but cannot coordinate any movement. His reach and rage cannot reach any of the goblins.

Reksheen and Lukas respond to the western flank in a small flurry of bolts and arrows. Most strike trees and bury into the undergrowth.

"Ackhhhssssssssssssssssssssssss," comes a pained grunt, which drifts off into a low hissing of acid and burnt flesh. One of the two snipers catches a acidic burst as an arrow slips between two ribs. His torso dissolves and pools against a scorched oak.

((I am NPCing the slow-to-respond PC's))

Grim calls upon the Fury and a wave of baneful energy pulses over the battle. The one goblin in the open shakes his head as if trying to shrug off a weight. He is surrounded by the vipers, yet the leather bindings around his ankles keeps the small fangs from meeting flesh.

Eerb begins a short chant and channels his might into the earth around him. Pebbles, stones, and shale from the road swirl around his tiny frame. As he motions, the hail of stones plummet down upon the other sniper.

The sniper yelps and sends back a bolt in response. The small bolt hits the Wu Jen in the thigh as he finishes his incantation.

Out in the open, the other assassin curses and dances as the vipers strike at his heels. The goblins pulls a small horn from his belt and puffs himself up to blow.

Faaaaa-fooooooooooooooooooooo

A thick mist billows forth from the horn and obscures the assassins from view. The mist also obscures those in the alcove from seeing the western assassin.

Summary

Eerb takes 4 piercing damage

Two assassins died. One to Kaej and Knaath and the other to a violent critical by Lukas.

One of the snipers remains as does the one on the road. The sniper is injured.

There is still a 20' by 10' strip of grease (Maosh is in it) coating the alcove entrance so DC=10 balance to move through it.

There is now a 10' by 10' zone of mist around the goblin on the road. The vipers are also inside of it. It further block line of sight to him (except to vipers) as well at it blocks line of sight west to the sniper.

Nomad5
2008-04-13, 12:30 AM
Maosh (Round 3)

Steady... focus... Seeing the tide of battle Maosh changes his tactics, well, at least the ones he had planned. The new course of battle will be to contain. They should not escape unless we choose. Maosh again tries to move out of the grease and continues to move through the fog to the far side of it to wait for the exit of the assassin, and an attack.

Move: Moves out of grease and through fog. Balance:
Standard: (Since the club is still not out...) Grapple attack any assassin coming out of the fog. Touch: [roll1] Grapple: 1d20+13 for Damage: [roll2] (non-lethal)
Free/Swift:

Nomad5
2008-04-13, 12:31 AM
Maosh (Round 3 update)
((Let's retry the Grapple with correct syntax.))
Grapple: [roll0]

serow
2008-04-13, 01:53 AM
Kaej (round 3)
HP 83/85, AC 16, Touch 10, Flat 16

Kaej growls just slightly at Knaath, a sign of respect for a quick clean blow.

Move: Fly over the grease patch to join Maosh in the fight outside.
Standard: Voracious Dispelling on the cloud
Free: "Let's finish this."

ASF 20%: [roll0]

Dispel Magic checks, rolling 5 of them, please take in order. If more needs to be rolled, please roll for me.
[roll]1d20+6[roll]
[roll]1d20+6[roll]
[roll]1d20+6[roll]
[roll]1d20+6[roll]
[roll]1d20+6[roll]

OOC: Sorry about hitting the weasels, Kaej can't tell there's those inside the cloud.

serow
2008-04-13, 01:54 AM
Ooops.

Dispel Magic checks, rolling 5 of them, please take in order. If more needs to be rolled, please roll for me.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Boggs
2008-04-14, 06:38 AM
Lukas (Round 3)

Lukas already has another arrow knocked, looking to the western forest when the mist obscures his line of sight, "Damn fog..." he mumbles under his breath before moving outside the cave. After he comes into the clearing, he peers down the shaft of the arrow looking for a target to fire upon...

Move Action: Move outside of cave (outside the greased area).
Standard Action: Fire upon any enemies if they are seen.
Free Action: Spot Check for enemies.

[roll=Attack (if Enemies seen)]1d20+10 1d8+1d6
[roll2]

EDIT: Something is wrong with my Attack Rolls, oh well, I most likely didn't see any enemies anyhow.

Benejeseret
2008-04-14, 08:54 AM
Update

The fog is suppressed for the next [roll0] rounds

Since the the vipers remain, Maosh got flank and managed to grapple the goblin with the horn.

Lucas makes it across the goop and sees the last goblin. I will try rolls at hit [roll1] damage [roll2] [roll3] (crit conf [roll4])

Duke of URL
2008-04-14, 09:11 AM
Knaath

Not happy about charging outside without his armor on, the warleader charges anyway, to set a good example. He promptly slips on the greasy patch and falls to the ground hard.

Double Move: Exit cave, move toward nearest living opponent
[roll0]

Ivius
2008-04-14, 03:28 PM
((Sorry, been a crazy week))

Move Action: Moves into range of the sniper, if necessary.
Standard Action: Cast Earth Bolt at the sniper, and anyone behind him.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1564178/

Benejeseret
2008-04-17, 08:56 AM
Round 3

The second sniper squeals in pain despite his training. Staring down at Lukas arrow in his arm he fumbles and pulls at the fletching. So focused on his pain that he never sees Eerb's outstretched arm. An earth bolt shoots straight and true, catching him under the right temple and painting the forest behind with the high velocity splatter of goblin brain.

A few meters south the obscured goblin is shocked to suddenly find his horn failing. In wide eyed horror he grabs at the horn to blow again as an ogre bears down on him. The little instrument produces a small wisp of fog before powerful arms hoist the assassin into the air, and then slam him violently into the ground. Dazed and bleeding, the goblin's attempts to wriggle out of Maosh's grapple fail.

From the rest it is a less than stellar performance. The war leader lays face down in the goop, his fur becoming an ugly knot of dirt and grime. The rest also slide and tumble into the goo. You're not quite sure on the invisible Jarrko, but a few of you spot a sudden ripple and splash in one especially deep section of muck.

Summary
only one goblin left and he is grappled and being pummeled by Maosh currently.

It seems a few are totally on the ball and a few have not posted this round, so in the OOC I am going to do a quick roll-call to confirm who is still around and active.

Other than that it is your turn again with the last goblin to finish

serow
2008-04-17, 09:38 AM
Kaej (round 4)
HP 83/85, AC 16, Touch 10, Flat 16

A quick look at the goblin in the grasps of Maosh is enough to tell Kaej that the fight is essentially over. Good luck trying to get out of that death, goblin.

Move: Fly over to Knaath
Move: Grab his arm and start pulling/sliding him out of the greased patch
Free: "They're barely worth the effort." to Knaath

OOC: depending on Initiative order, if Knaath can get free of the grease, then Kaej will go help the others.

Madmal
2008-04-17, 01:38 PM
Rekseen(round 4)
HP 50/55, AC 21, Touch 13, Flat 18

Rekseen curses as she tries to stand from the greased floor.

Move: Balance check to get up from the grease (if it applies) [roll0]
Free: "Bah, annoying pests..."

Duke of URL
2008-04-17, 01:42 PM
Knaath

Knaath tries to get free of the greasy spot, but his size and relative lack of agility work against him.

Move: [roll0] (+2 from aid another action?)
Free: Knaath lets out a stream of curses in Gnoll.

Nomad5
2008-04-17, 07:29 PM
Maosh (Round 4)

Maosh grins widely as the fog dissipates from around the goblin opening up the tackle. Now you are mine, and we will find what you are about.

Move: Maintain grapple.
Standard: Maintain Grapple: [roll0] for Damage: [roll1] (non-lethal)
Free/Swift: Whispers to the goblin, "Welcome the sleep."

Boggs
2008-04-18, 05:33 AM
Lukas (Round 4)

Lukas knocks another arrow, focusing on the forest edge. He takes a quick look to Maosh and notices the Goblin in his grasp, his fangs protrude in a small grimace. He looks back to Knaath and shouts to him, "Sir, I'm going to make a quick patrol of the area!" With bow still in hand, he moves into the shadows of the forest to make sure all the enemies are finished.

(OOC: If I find anything lurking in the shadows, forget the Search check. If not, I will take the time to search their bodies.)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Benejeseret
2008-04-18, 08:36 PM
Combat Summary

The final assassin eyes are becoming glazed as he struggles to take a breath, his green skin beginning to show a cyanotic hue. His tiny fingers weakly pry at the palms wrapped around his small neck. With a small shudder, his eyes roll back into his head and his body goes limp. The unconscious goblin slumps into the dirt.

Lukas comes across no more movement in the forest. A light breeze, the small crunch of leaves and odd creak of ancient tree is all he hears. A quick check of the two dead snipers finds very little. They seemed to be traveling light or have stored their provisions elsewhere. The two crossbows and one quiver of 30 bolts is recoverable with minor acid damage. The second quiver lays snapped under a pile of summoned rocks.

One of the small, black leather vests seems salvagable but the other is dissolved beyond repair in a pile of sickening, bubbling, flesh upon the forest floor. The damp steam of the goblin goo is still waifting into the morning air.

Nomad5
2008-04-19, 03:06 PM
Maosh

Feeling the goblin go limp, Maosh loosens his grip watching the unfortunate creature for a moment. He smiles inwardly at the thoughts of pain that this one might feel again soon. Keeping a strong grip on the limp form, he stands slowly pausing to pick up the strange horn, looping it about his belt.

Moash walks slowly back to the alcove giving time for the others to gather themselves from the grease. As he approaches the group he looks behind them and calls for rope from a smunderling. He confidently walks up to Knaath and holds the goblin up at arms length in front of him. "My first gift. It still talks." He looks at Knaath for an acknowledgment, then continues also looking at Kaej or Lukas. "I find them climbing on rocks, but where they come from?"

serow
2008-04-19, 11:38 PM
Kaej

"I find them climbing on rocks, but where they come from?"

With a faint snarl, Kaej answers, "I'll check up."

Kaej wills the sorcerous energy within him, and lifts himself off the ground, and moves in the air along the cliff near the alcove. He moves slowly and with caution, a small pulsing of his sorcerous energies carefully maintained between his fingers, ready to unleash upon a moment's notice.

[roll0]

Boggs
2008-04-20, 02:20 AM
Lukas puts his arrow back in his quiver and places the bow upon the ground. Carefully he gathers the salvageable items, grabs his bow and returns to the cave. Dropping the pile of knick-knacks on the ground, he speaks to Knaath, "Sir, they seem to have been traveling rather light. They may be a scouting party from a nearby encampment. It may be best to make our stay here a short one. Or, we could hunt down the rest..."

Duke of URL
2008-04-20, 01:44 PM
Knaath

Knaath tries to maintain as much dignity as possible while trying to exit the grease patch. "We don't have the time to search. Maosh, good job getting a captive -- we'll drag him with us and question him thoroughly before killing him. He might make a decent supper tonight, too."

Benejeseret
2008-04-21, 11:50 AM
The wind rustles leaves and bush in the hills above the alcove, but no other movement or signs can be seen from the air. The assassins seem to have no trace of their passing other than their stiffening bodies.

A swift kick gets the smunderlings motivated and rushing around to get the wagon readied for the days journey. The few weapons and supplies collected of the dead are loaded into the wagon trailer. A young gnoll slides around the slick cave and recovers the two daggers dropped inside by the goblins and adds them to the pile. Maosh, through having the prisoner, currently is also in possession of the Horn and the Wand used by the assassins in the fight.

Within fifteen minutes they have the expedition ready to head out. All in line and loaded up, they await a signal to head out.

serow
2008-04-21, 11:37 PM
"Bad start." Kaej utters to nobody in particular. Looking around at the others, he helps in the packing of stuff and ushers the sumderlings to work. He also goes around and channels arcane energy into the more ferocious members of the party. Once that is done, he grabs a small handful of smelling weed and breathes in the odd flavour. Ah...

OOC:Kaej will cast Enduring Elements (Endure Elements + immune to my breath weapon)on everyone... well the PCs anyway. And he will renew Draconic Flight on himself. All last 24 hours.

Benejeseret
2008-04-24, 08:53 AM
FingerDeath, yoked and impatient, begins the long trek with a jolt. The sudden start was enough to knock a sleepy smunderling off the back of the wagon and face-first into the muck.

The trail becomes more rugged and rocky as it stretches into the foothills. The vegetation, however, is becoming sparse and dry. After a few more hours the ground seems to drop away from the horizon into a massive spread of red sanded badlands. In the distance the edges of the valley mark the end of the blasted lands, but the oracle is said to reside within the eastern expansion of this valley. The valley is a twist of hoodoos and sinkholes. Visibility is cut in all directions by cliffs and spires of the red rock. The main trail winds through these formations.

OK, here is your chance to post anything you would have been doing/preparing in the last 4 hours of the journey. HEALING of party members injured earlier, preparation of equipment, scouting actions while in the badlands etc, etc, etc.

In the next section you will be required to leave the main trail (the wagon cannot make the small path to the Dust Hag) and likely some of the smunderlings as guards/whatevers. You will be traveling east for a 30 min hike through especially twisty, cavernous, badland valley with overhanging red cliffs.

Get all action in by tomorrow, as we are moving into the blasted lands prepared or not!:smalleek: !

Duke of URL
2008-04-24, 09:03 AM
Knaath

Knaath rallies the troops, and gets them ready to march again, after cleaning himself up a bit and getting back into full armor. Once the captive awakes, he'll want to see to the interrogation... personally.

serow
2008-04-24, 02:47 PM
Kaej

Hmm, dangerous valley. Nothing new though. Despite the look of the area, Kaej isn't visibly impressed. Maybe it's because he doesn't know the true extent of the place. But one step at a time. First of all, Kaej knows that entering an unknown place without preparation is asking for trouble. He passes around his wand of Lesser Vigor to the more capable members of the entourage, so that they might heal up after the assassins' fiasco.

GimliFett
2008-04-24, 03:11 PM
Grim

Grim moves amongst the group, attending to the worst of the wounds. Minor stuff he leaves to scar, as proof of their involvement and favor of The Fury.

Who is wounded enough to need attention? I've got cure minors and lesser vigors (heal 13hps/13 rounds).

Madmal
2008-04-25, 08:59 AM
Rekseen

Rekseen grumbles about the lack of inrteresting plunders as she inspects the wound. Nothingto too serious.

well, i'm moderately back, but my eyes still need to focus together, and one got a minor damage, so it's taking it's time, and i see a little blurry about 55 % of the time.

Rekseen has been hit with 5 hp damage, i'll leave you up to you to judge

Boggs
2008-04-25, 11:16 PM
Lukas

A good sixty feet in front of the caravan, Lukas moves about the area searching for anything out of place. In these conditions it may be tough to do but better to be safe than dead.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Benejeseret
2008-04-27, 12:12 PM
Lukas

Several tracks dart back and forth through this stretch of the barrens. At least three bipedal animals with three pronged, clawed toes. In a number of areas small bits of steaming, green, saliva seems to be speckled around. As they round the next bend they seem to speed up based on distance and become erratic.

The wind rustles tumble weeds and the dry vegetation of this place, but on that breeze you can hear a light buzzing. It is hard to pinpoint in the wind but it is definably in front where the tracks lead, but seems to echo or drift from all around the upper hoodoos.

The trail toward the oracle is directly following the tracks into the buzz on the wind. The walls here would be hard to scale to red outcrops of rocks and some tumbled hoodoos dot the trail all the way along (can be used as occasional cover)

As Lukas rounds the bend up ahead you see..... Lukas: One of the strange bipedal beasts is laying some thirty feet ahead on the edge of the path. The other two or so tracks are widely spaced, running off into the later rocks. You can see the downed beast seems to be vibrating and shaking, and note numerous sets of small wings fanning out all over the beast.

[ Healing: lets assume one spell and one charge of the wand looks after the damage. The alchemist smunderling also assists with one of the wounded so all are currently back at full health ]

Boggs
2008-04-28, 10:24 PM
Lukas

Lukas kneels behind the rock, glancing behind him in hopes of spotting Kaej in the air. Making his best efforts to ward off the sounds of the caravan approaching. Trying to get a drop on the creature, Lukas stays low moving up to another piece of cover. Kneeling behind the cover he knocks an arrow, aiming it at the downed creature.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Benejeseret
2008-04-28, 11:06 PM
Round 1

An arrow sinks into the mass, but the death squeal is high pitched and insectoid. The small chirp grows and bellows into a mind-numbing buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

From the body a half dozen small insects raise into the air, twitching, and swarming angrily. The hoodoos around your party begin vibrating as well in an horrendous and loud buzzing. One of the creatures takes to the air very briefly, before the arrow skewering its thorax drags is downward.

Nearly a dozen of these winged creatures are in the air now. Each is rust-red with nearly a two foot double-winged span. Wickedly sharp needles for feeding home in on your body warmth.

The masses of these creatures are upon you in an instant. As many swoop past, others seek and latch onto each of you. Within moments only one of these winged horrors is still free in the air.

All of you find one or more of these insects buzzing and grasping on your shoulders, backs, or heads. You are all now "grappled" with numerous creatures.

Lukas = 1
Keij = 2 (being airborne they got you first)
Rekseen = 1
Eerb = 1
Grim = 1
Jarkko = 2
Knaath = 1

The are grappling you and holding with great tenacity with numerous small pinchers. Their needle-like proboscis feeders hover over your necks and exposed backs trying to penetrate.

[PC's go....assume chaos and buzzing is everywhere and you are all (except Lukas) within 5' of each other along a thin trail 10' across.]

Duke of URL
2008-04-29, 07:28 AM
Knaath
HP = 56/56; AC = 23, touch 11, flat 23

Knaath tries to wrestle with the insect-like creature.

Standard: Opposed grapple to damage, [roll0], [roll1] (nonlethal)

serow
2008-04-29, 08:31 AM
Kaej
HP 85/85, AC 16, touch 10, flat 16

Kaej knows that he is at a disadvantage when in a situation where he has to actually make use of his physical strength. However, if it's a big bug... maybe he has a chance. He decides to gamble on it.

Move: If possible, move to get everyone with range.
Standard: Opposed grapple to use breath weapon, catching everybody except Lukas in range.
Grapple check: [roll0]
Breath weapon (15ft cone of fire, 1d6 fire damage, DC 19 Reflex for half; creature taking any damage becomes Entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled) and takes 1d6 of fire damage for [roll1] rounds)
Free: RARRR!

OOC: PCs are immune to my breath weapon and its subsequent effects because of 24hr Enduring Elements invocation.

Benejeseret
2008-04-29, 09:51 PM
Update (since Kaej's action is fairly major)

Knaath struggles to grip the large insect upon his back, but it remains firmly attached between his shoulder blades and is ready to bite down. The large Flind flails and twists futilely.

From above Keij grips his aggressor by the wings and wills them to slam into the edge of your group. The crash erupts into a fiery blast that engulfs the party (except Lukas).

All of the little beasts squeal and twist as entangling cords envelop them. Unfortunately, given the close proximity to each of the members the entangling magical bonds fuse many of the insects onto the struggling party members. The one crawling up Grim's shoulder burns away to complete ash and the free one left in the air follows suit a moment later in the heart of the blaze.

[Grim is free and the free one is also dead. The rest took damage and are entangled...onto the party members (who are not technically entangled)]

Boggs
2008-04-30, 06:50 AM
Lukas Round 1
HP=66/66 AC=20 Flat-footed=15 Touch=15

Unable to use his bow, Lukas drops it to the ground and unsheaths his kukri. With a violent thrust he stabs at the creature, hoping to force it to release it's grapple.

Move: Draw kukri.
Standard: Attack.
Free: Drop bow.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Nomad5
2008-05-01, 05:55 PM
Maosh (Round 1)

Maosh is aware of the rising tension in the group as they travel further into these lands but is not aware of the inner glee he experiences as the chaos erupts before him. Almost as a discordant dance unfolding about him in the center of a fiery drape of Kaej's breath. The poetry of chaos. His instincts take over his reverie and force him to action.

Move: Draw club and move to help Knaath. (5-foot step or charge if further.)
Standard: Attack the bug. Attack: [roll0] (+2 if charge) for Damage: [roll1] (+[roll2] if charge)
Critical: [roll3] (+2 if charge) for Damage: [roll4]
Free/Swift:

Benejeseret
2008-05-05, 06:30 PM
((boo 50% postings, ah well.))

Round 2

A chorus of screams and roars rake the rock walls as half a dozen dagger-like mouths find the flesh beneath armor. Those still struggling feel a cold, tingling, spread across their limbs.

The following take constitution damage:

Lukas = [roll0]
Keij = [roll1]
Rekseen = [roll2]
Eerb = [roll3]
Grim = -
Jarkko = [roll4]
Knaath = -
Maosh = -

Knaath is spared this fate as the moment before his flesh is pierced he feels a rush of air over his shoulders and head. A massive club catches the bug and slams it violently into the red earth. Green, hissing guts splatter across the soil.

Duke of URL
2008-05-06, 06:13 AM
Knaath

Knaath attempts to follow the example from Maosh and lashes out at the nearest insect creature.

Move: As necessary to get in range

Nomad5
2008-05-06, 07:52 PM
Maosh (Round 2)

Maosh spins his 600 lbs. in counterpart to Knaath's turn to the rest of the group and steps to assist the next in line.

Move: Moves to help Kaej or Jarkko (with 2 each).
Standard: Attack the bug. Attack: [roll0] for Damage: [roll1]
Critical: [roll2] for Damage: [roll3]
Free/Swift:

serow
2008-05-07, 09:28 PM
Kaej (round 2)
HP 73/73, AC 16, touch 10, flat 16

The bite of the insects brings a sort of numbing pain to Kaej, and this feeling is terrible! Kaej's mind reels at the choices, and he responds with the simplest response to it: "More fire!"

Standard: Use breath weapon (15ft cone of fire, 3d6 fire damage, DC 17 Reflex for half)

Benejeseret
2008-05-08, 10:39 PM
sorry guys, works been killer. I will post tomorrow the next round. Between the new fire and the old lingering fire all the stirges will be dead...except the one harassing Lukas.

Also, it seems our 4 dedicated players remain. So unless I get some more action soon from the others in this campaign is going to take on a grizzly/horror feel as I weed the ranks a bit.

Boggs
2008-05-10, 06:33 PM
Lukas Round 2
HP=60/66 AC=20 Flat-footed=15 Touch=15

Lukas growls as the stinger penetrates his skin. He fights the urge to Shift, Come on, Lukas, it's only one insect...

Full Round: Attack.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-05-10, 08:39 PM
Round 3

With the last rush of fire the buzzing echoing through the red rocks dies down. Most close their eyes during the brief inferno despite the magical protection, and open to find oozing, flesh burnt corpses of a dozen large insects melting into your hair and fur. Much of your equipment is smoking slightly from two repetitive blasts but seems to be holding up under the charred organic slime.

The young artificer has clearly reached his limit. Frazzled, smelly, smoking, and hurting, the hobgoblin begins screaming and rushes toward Lukas. Rekseen gabs the bug and slams it into the dirt, stomping it with his heal again, and again, and again. The young pup is neatly in tears as his sheltered time in the academy never prepared him for such....exhaustion.

He stumbles about blindly in his rage.

He is oblivious to the cooing and shuffles coming from the far edge of the path near where the tracks let out. Two of the strange beasts like the one bled dry on the path come out of hiding with the stirges gone. The make their way towards their downed mate on oddly joined bipedal legs and poke it with thin proboscus mouths. As the artificer stumbles towards them they arch up and scream in a high pitched whine that ends in a gurgle as one spews a thick stream of acid toward the hobgoblin.

acid damage [roll0]

Nomad5
2008-05-14, 12:04 PM
Maosh (Round 1 (or 3))
HP=44/44, AC=18-2=16, Touch=10, Flatfooted=17

This hag has found a good nest. Maosh is wary of the long-nosed beasts that join the fight, especially after listening to the screams of Rekseen. Growling, he crushes the fear inside him and rushes forward to the battle at hand.

Move: Charge and attack.
Standard: Attack: [roll0] for Damage: [roll1] +[roll2] (Powerful Charge)
Critical: [roll3] for Damage: [roll4]
Free/Swift:

((How many poor rolls can be in a single post?))

Benejeseret
2008-05-14, 01:28 PM
((Alrighty, definitely a swing and a miss for the ogre. The two reptilian creatures are now ready for a fight. One is about 10feet forward of the other and about 40' from you, 20 from Lukas and Rekseen,, (Maosh charged the front one) and the back one was tending to its fallen mate.

So, everyone else can go and then they will counter-claw/spew))

serow
2008-05-16, 05:12 AM
Kaej (round 3)

More of them! More repellant we'll need!

Move: Move closer to the front bug
Standard: Use breath weapon (15ft cone of slow, DC 17 Fortitude or be Slowed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/slow.htm) for 2 rounds, save for 1 round

Duke of URL
2008-05-16, 05:53 AM
Knaath

Knaath charges the nearer creature, and lets loose with his flail.

Standard/Move: Charge & [roll0] (includes +2 for charge), [roll1]
Free: "What are those?"

Boggs
2008-05-16, 10:16 PM
Lukas Round 3

Quickly taking note of the encroaching enemies, Lukas retrieves his bow from the ground. He knocks an arrow and lets it loose into the nearest enemy.

Move: Picking up longbow.
Standard: Firing one arrow.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Benejeseret
2008-05-19, 10:35 PM
Round 4

The lead reptile struggles against the spell effects as it tries to slash at Maosh. Three-pronged, hooked claws manage to find the Ogres ankle and cuts across the thick flesh. It makes a gurgling sound and those of you close notice a small pouch beneath its neck slowly starting to fill with fluid. It is met with a brutal slam from the flindbar against the creature's thigh which leaves a dark welt.

Its mate, just caught within the edge of the breath weapon, manages to shake off most of the effects. The creatures legs are still stiff and slow to respond as it hobbles past the group to flank about 10 feet away where an arrow clips what should be a shoulder. The minor scratch in not even noticed by the beast as the acid simply wicks across its glossy scales.

Maosh takes 6 points of slashing/piercing damage

Both creatures were temporarily delayed (one saved) and so it was a brief round

Duke of URL
2008-05-20, 07:03 AM
Knaath (Round 5)

The flind moves to a position where the beast he's attacking provides some cover from the other one, and lets loose with the flindbar again.

Move: Reposition, if possible without provoking an AoO

Nomad5
2008-05-21, 01:06 AM
Maosh (Round 4)
HP=38/44, AC=18, Touch=10, Flatfooted=17

Maosh thanks Kaej and Knaath in his mind for keeping the beast from pouncing him as he almost tripped past it with the charging attack. Repositioning his feet and weight, he presses the attack.

Move: Attack the one that just hit him.
Standard: Attack: [roll0] for Damage: [roll1]
Critical: [roll2] for Damage: [roll3]
Free/Swift: Tries to not be flanked.

serow
2008-05-21, 10:03 AM
Kaej (round 4)

If it wants to flank, good.

Move: Try to get into position to catch both bugs in a straight line.
Standard: Use breath weapon (30ft line of lightning, 1d6 lightning damage, DC 17 Reflex for half; creature taking any damage becomes Entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled) and takes 1d6 of lightning damage for [roll0] rounds)

Benejeseret
2008-05-23, 06:02 PM
Round Update (waiting on Boggs)

The ogre struggles to strike the beast. Although slowed and entangled, the reptiles scales manage to deflect a poorly placed blow. The eldritch blast catches them both in its arc and they twitch at the small pain.

It skitters and strains against the enchantments binding its limbs. Whereas it dodges the ogre, the Flind catches it with a wooden clunk. Battered and bruising it slashes back at the cause of its pain. Knaath however is already weaving away unharmed.

From behind you the rest of the team is struggling as well. A few more of the reptiles emerge from your rear flank and the smunderlings and the other champions are engaging them (ignore them all for now...a way to resolve a few losses)

With all of the new commotion you fail to notice that the second beast near you is not moving in for the kill. Rather it puffs up and spews forth a great cloud of misty vapor.

((Boggs, you still get to go....or rather go twice for last round and this if you get to it quickly.))

((Everyone make a reflex saving roll somewhere in your next post from the breath weapon))

Benejeseret
2008-05-25, 11:37 AM
((everyone else can just go, if you're all done before boggs kicks in then he is outa luck))

Nomad5
2008-05-27, 06:43 PM
Maosh (Round 5)
HP=38/44, AC=18, Touch=10, Flatfooted=17

Reflex Save: [roll0]

Maosh dives for any cover he can as he sees the creature start to fill its bellows. Rolling through the dirt he plants a foot and takes aim at the enemy he stops near.

Move: Reflex save for cover and attack.
Standard: Attack: [roll1] for Damage: [roll2]
Critical: [roll3] for Damage: [roll4]
Free/Swift: "#@$%! Nose Spitters!"

Edit: Had the wrong round noted.
I will soon be renamed "The Mighty Casey".

Duke of URL
2008-05-28, 06:32 AM
Knaath (Round 5)

Knaath tries to shrug off the acid, and focuses instead on attacking the beasts.

[roll0]
Standard: [roll1], [roll2]

serow
2008-05-28, 10:30 PM
Kaej (round 5)

Reflex save [roll0]

One down better than two to fight!

Move: Get into position to aim at Maosh and Knaath's target
Standard: Use breath weapon (15ft cone of slow, DC 17 Fortitude or be Slowed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/slow.htm) for 2 rounds, save for 1 round

Boggs
2008-06-01, 02:31 AM
Lukas Round 5

Noticing that he only clipped the first creature, Lukas kneels closer to the ground pulling to arrows from his quiver. He places one in the ground and knocks the other focusing on the target.

Full-Round Action: Rapid Shot one target.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

((Sorry guys, I was out of town for work all last week. Not rolling for Acid. I'm thinking that they might have resistance.))

Benejeseret
2008-06-01, 02:59 PM
Round 5

*Schlech* The sound of a wet sucking crunch can be heard as the flindbar connects with the top of the creatures head. Instantly the beast falls and twitches on the ground foaming acid spittle in its flailing. Within seconds the corpse is no longer moving at all. Two arrows whiz by, one sinking into the second beast and the other skipping off into the sand. This shot is solid and the haft remains buried in the hip near its tail. The shot sadly does little to prevent the pent up acid burst later released.

The ogre continues to bumble and just moments before missed yet another mighty swing, sending him off balance. His momentum carried his just far enough however as the blast of acid spew covered the area he was moments ago. The fumes still burn his lungs and inflame the eyes. His luck does nothing for the rest of the team. Kaej, in the process of blowing out his own breath weapon, is caught full in the face and treated to a mouthful of acid phlegm. His entire face and chest burn.

Knaath fares the same. The second lizard aimed right at the Flind that killed its pack-mate and follows the spew with a leaping cry of fury. Through the burning sting the Flind does not see the oncoming claws until they rake through his side.

The beast before you is searing mad and frantic to claw out Knaath's eyes. Its strength and stamina remain high with only the arrow wound although its is sluggish for the moment.

Recap:
Big swing and a miss for the ogre again.
Knaath shows him how its done and crits the lizard dead.
Breath weapon baths the second.
One arrow hits the second.

Knaath and Kaej take 17 acid damage while Maosh gets away with only 8 acid damage.
Knaath is then charged and clawed for 7 piercing/slashing damage

Back to you to try and end this chaos

Duke of URL
2008-06-02, 06:10 AM
Knaath (Round 6)
HP = 32/56; AC = 23, touch 11, flat 23

Knaath expresses his rage with a stream of gnollish curses as he tries to duplicate his success with the first creature.

Free: "Get this thing off of me!"

Nomad5
2008-06-02, 11:42 AM
Maosh (Round 6)
HP=30/44, AC=18, Touch=10, Flatfooted=17

After inhaling the acid spray Maosh suppresses the urge to tackle the beast and tear it limb from limb as he sees the monster rake Knaath with its claws at close range. Not a good idea ogre. He continues his rolling in the dirt looking for the opportunity to plant his foot and get a flanking attack on the beast.

Move: Attack remaining near monster.
Standard: Attack: [roll0] for Damage: [roll1]
Free/Swift: #COUGH#, #HACK#

serow
2008-06-03, 11:15 AM
Kaej (round 6)
HP 56/73, AC 16, touch 10, flat 16

"Focus fire, get rid of Knaath's target first!"

Move: Get into position to aim at Knaath's target
Standard: Use breath weapon (30ft line of fire, 3d6 fire damage, DC 17 Reflex for half)

Boggs
2008-06-04, 07:01 AM
Lukas

As Lukas watches his shot miss, he winces and growls. Fighting off the urge to Shift he lets loose another two arrows.

Full-Round: Rapid Shot.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Benejeseret
2008-06-06, 01:30 PM
End of Battle

Two swift strikes stagger the lizard and send blood and scales to the ground. The beast takes a step back in pain only to be caught in a streaming inferno. Blinded by the fire, what serves as eyes are singed with cataracts, the last of the lizards turns to flee. The moment it breaks from the combat two arrows strike its torso, and with a gurgling sigh, it slips into death before even hitting the ground.

The corpses of the beast quickly begin to hiss and steam as they are eaten from the inside out by the swelling acid pouches near their necks. You turn to the rest of the group to find they have dispatched the other lizards already.

Everyone is tired, panting gnoll tongues hang out of most mouths, and the silence hangs. A few of the smundering are gathering around the artificer. The hobgoblin is face-down in the mud. His fur has been horrendously burnt by the acid blast and long gashes run down his back. Gremmar is leaning over the body and as you approach he shakes his head solemnly to you.

Eerb and Jarrko as sitting in the cart being attended to by gnolls each with wicked lacerations and most of Eerb's left arm is blistered and burnt to a husk. Jarrko's eyes are vacant, staring off into the distance. His wounds will recover but you worry how well the mage will hold up in the wild expanses yet to come.

The smunderlings and other surviving champions are shaken and look to you as you return to the group...

Your choice on what to do with Rekseen's body and belongings. Only his magical items remain as everything else is at least partially destroyed by the acid. Although his scrollcase remains, the scrolls inside are ruined.

All items are listed on his sheet:
http://pifro.com/pro/view.php?id=575

Duke of URL
2008-06-06, 02:33 PM
Knaath

"Damn."

This expedition seems to be cursed, and it's all going to come down on me in the end.

"Right, well, let this be a lesson to the rest of you to be alert and take nothing for granted." He bends down and starts taking Rekseen's remaining belongings (starting with the haversack and the buckler).

Benejeseret
2008-06-06, 07:16 PM
Oh, and your total XP gained so far in the game is 2000xp just to update.

Collect yourselves and decide whether to take some time and rest up/how/when to continue.

I will be NPCing the others for awhile (until they die etc) so if you have suggestions as to what they prepare as spell casters just post IC and ask them to assist or what particular things to have ready.

The next leg of the journey is roughly outlined here if you're interested in knowing next is the approach to the Hag. It will be focused on problem solving, social interaction, and the like. You have the other remaining PC characters to call upon as NPC to use in these tasks, but only if you specifically ask for them. I will set out a task or problem and the four of you using yourselves and your resources need to overcome whatever the issue is.

So indicate IC when you are all ready to progress.

serow
2008-06-06, 11:08 PM
Kaej

Looking at the downed hobgoblin, Kaej spends a very quick moment in silence, before bending down to salvage the magical scrollcase. Survivor's right to survive. He then gets up, and ignores the pain still pulsing in his body. Looking around at the tired beings, he asks, "Rest?"

OOC:I'd like the spellcasters to prepare the Restoration series of spells to help remove the Con damage. And our cleric can cast a few Cures or use my Lesser Vigor wand to help with healing up.

Boggs
2008-06-09, 06:22 AM
Lukas

Kneeling down to the fallen corpse of his comrade, Lukas growls. Maybe I should've watched his back... he was a useful asset. He takes note of the diamond lodged within his armor. Hm, I'm not one to loot from the corpse of a former ally... but that would be wasteful.

Nomad5
2008-06-10, 12:26 AM
Maosh

Maosh hovers near the fallen beast at first. It's hard to tell if he is examining it or just hungry. After a couple of kicks with his foot, he turns to rest of the group and mostly stays out of the way of the regrouping not seeing much of a way to contribute to the efforts. He rounds up a couple of smunderlings wandering around reminding them, "You no want get lost here." After seeing that the group is not moving out quickly he turns wanders to the rear of the group and begins to chant.

Maosh will accept any healing that is offered, and approach Knaath. "This not good place to camp."

Duke of URL
2008-06-10, 06:59 AM
Knaath

"Agreed. It is, at the very least, ill omened. Everybody get ready to move out!"

Knaath will keep them at a gentle pace for the rest of the day, stopping at the first good place to camp.

Benejeseret
2008-06-10, 10:17 AM
The red sand bakes in the sun around you. Little vegetation grows along the worn path. Lukas notes the winding trail you follow was likely an old riverbed at some point in the ancient past.

Four hours into the hike you come upon a small stream cutting across the old riverbed. A smunderling takes a quick jaunt upstream and comes back reporting of a small oasis nestled around a spring. Between the water, overhanging shade from the few trees and a break from the endless red-cracked dirt everyone welcomes it as their stop.

Grim continues to make his way around camp to attend to those he did patch during the hike. The power of The Fury sooths wounds, but fills your dreams this night with visions of power and conquest.

Healing
Grim will disperse up to 5 lesser vigors for 13hp each, his healing belt dispenses a further 13hp healed for the day. This should heal up all of you to *full* not including that lost by the CON damage, and assist the others and smunderling with their wounds as well.

As the camp gets setup the favored soul gets a few of the gnolls to assist him grinding small herbs and attending to those weakened by the stirges' bite. His help allows all to sleep more soundly.

Sleep
a few smunderlings offer to stay up as guards and the night passes uneventful. For 8 hours of rest with healing care all recover 2 points of CON damage and the HP corresponding.

In the morning the group takes its time around the small oasis resupplying water and harvesting a few of the plants that look edible.

PLACEHOLDER
Do what you wish in the area but do not leave just yet, I will be posting an event/issue here soon later today or tonight

serow
2008-06-10, 10:10 PM
Activities for the area
Kaej will renew the 24 hours duration of Draconic Flight and Enduring Elements, this time casting it on everyone instead of just the PCs, since there's more time now over camping. I estimate half an hour should be the absolute maximum amount of time needed. After waking, if possible, on everyone again. If not, on the PCs first.

Benejeseret
2008-06-11, 02:37 PM
With the early morning glint of sun reflecting off the small oasis, a few of the gnolls notice a reflection deeper within the pools while bending down to lap up the refreshing spring water.

Two of the gnolls come to the inner campfire area soaking wet. "Great leader," the smaller one bows, reeking of wet gnoll, "we have discovered something in the water. Some sort of crystal, stuck to the bottom."

They bring you to the small pool. In the center of the small oasis the glinting crystal can clearly be seen sparkling and glinting under the morning sun. The shard is over a foot long and as thick as Maosh's arm. It sits only a few feet below the surface of the pool.

The Pool
The pool is about 7.5 foot radius, round, and looks to be about 8 feet deep. The crystal shard is a deep blue and embedded in a calcified spire rising up from the bottom.

((Anyone with knowledge Geography or Nature can roll the check and likely glean a bit more information.))

"Me and Gart here swam in and tried to move the thing...but it's stuck. And whens we grabbed it we both felt really strange feeling. Came and got you rights away."

Boggs
2008-06-12, 07:13 AM
Lukas

Lukas follows the commotion, making his way over to the shimmering pool. When he sees the crystal his eyes widen. "Move!" He growls to the Smunderlings as he inches closer for a better look.

[roll0]
[roll1]

serow
2008-06-12, 07:30 AM
Kaej moves over to the pond and bends over slightly, taking a look at this strange crystal. When his eyes cannot see anything out of the ordinary (besides it being a crystal in a pond), he closes his eyes for a moment and channels arcane energies into them, then opens his eyes again and look at the crystal.

OOC:Detect Magic, concentrate for 3+ rounds. Attempt to Spellcraft [roll0]

serow
2008-06-12, 07:39 AM
OOC (Action Point for my Spellcraft):
[roll0]

Duke of URL
2008-06-12, 08:14 AM
Knaath

After resting, Knaath sees to interrogating the prisoner taken the previous night. "Who sent you? What did they hope to accomplish? Are there more assassins lying in wait?"

[roll0], [roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-06-12, 02:40 PM
The small assassin squirms against his bonds as Knaath approaches. With the Flind looming over him and his companions long slaughtered, the lone goblin sweats and whimpers. He tries to avoid Knaath's gaze during the questioning but his sideways glance falls upon the gnollish alchemist Smarsh laying out tonics and strange tools upon a blanket at Knaath's elbow. He is currently inspecting a bone saw...and the little goblin suddenly finds the view of the Flind's fangs the better option.

"Clan Eship, we are Clan Eship. Goblin horde who run DirkTip Academy. Contract we have, hired...know not who. Just us four sent out first, top of our class year. More maybe sent, senior students, cause we failed.........You release me to deliver stern warning, yes? Brooding threat from powerful warlord Flind?"

Over near the pool a shriek breaks the morning. Kaej drops to the ground clutching his eyes. The closest gnolls scatter and one dares face FingerDeath with the intension of diving under the wagon. Grim rushes to the adepts side but finds no injuries on the shifter and opts to help rest him comfortable against an outcrop as Kaej tries to blink off the daze.

Lukas

The pond is out of place, and too perfectly symmetrical to be a naturally forming spring. In fact, the geology of the area seems completely wrong to even have a spring or any water bubbling up from this place.

The more you stare at the oddity the more you notice a lack of things that should be here. There are plants and trees off of the oasis, but to animals, birds or even insects. As Lukas walks around the small pond it becomes clear no track marks of any kind approach what should be a common and well used watering hole.

Kaej

For the next minute or so you are dazed, cannot speak more than a babble and are partially blind (like after staring at the sun for a sec - big white spot).

Nomad5
2008-06-12, 06:39 PM
Maosh

Maosh decides to join Knaath in the interrogation. Not that he could actually ask better questions, but that the presence of the Ogre that captured him standing nearby may further unnerve the goblin. Who knows, maybe he'll actually learn some new knife techniques from watching Knaath.

Hearing Kaej's scream, Maosh grabs his club and moves to the water. Not seeing any immediate danger he grins greedily when he sees the crystal and watches as those with more skill than he continue their inspections. That is a nice rock. But still just a rock. Why does it seem so special? Maosh sits down at the waters edge and begins to growl low while stretching and beating on himself, hoping that beginning some meditation may help him focus on this puzzle before him.

Maosh will take the time to watch and listen, imitating his teachers.
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-06-12, 06:53 PM
Maosh hears a wisp of a sound and he enters into his trance-like state of awareness. Hardly there, yet just on the edge of his mind.

The faint echo of a sound is a slow rushing, rhythmic and sweeping sound like waves over a beach or a gentle lapping of a riverbank.

Duke of URL
2008-06-13, 06:52 AM
Knaath

Gah! What else can go wrong on this journey!

He holds his frustration in check, looks at the goblin prisoner, and says, "we're not done yet," before heading out to check on the source of the scream.

Boggs
2008-06-13, 09:20 AM
Lukas

Squatting next to the pool, Lukas scoops a bit of water into his hands. He smells it and rubs it into his hands. "There's something... peculiar about this oasis." He makes another glance around the edge of the water. "This is the only watering hole in this area. And look, the only tracks around are ours. Kind of an... ill omen, right?" Lukas wades into the water trying to get a better understanding of the crystal and water.

If any of these can apply (I forgot about action points in the previous rolls):
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Nomad5
2008-06-13, 05:56 PM
Maosh

Life is shock. Maosh seems to stare beyond everyone moving about him...
Life is calm. not even bothering to ignore the strange looks from the smunderlings...
Life is pain. as he continues his slow exercise and concentration.
Feel the pain. His deep breaths exhale in low growls.
Find the calm. He finds a distant place in the waters...
The pain is not surprise. It is my friend. he stares into the waters pausing...
It will always find me. Maosh takes another deep breath as if trying to smell the air in a far off dream.

"I hear waves. From far away. They not strong. But they call us."

Benejeseret
2008-06-13, 07:55 PM
The water is cool and refreshing. There is almost no silt, no algae, incredibly clean water. Up close the crystal shimmers is a way not caused by the water above. To Lukas it appears there is water inside the crystal as well.

Calcified coral coming from the depths and engulfing the shard catches Lukas eye as it is not native to these lands. It is a deep coral, usually found only in caverns. This close the coral can be seen slowly moving or growing in a matrix up and around the crystal. The shard, however, is vibrating in a way that breaks off small bits of the coral every once in a while. Lukas cannot be sure, but he perceives that the crystal is slowly coming loose from the matrix.

Maosh
nice post by the way
The ogre relaxes. His conscious floats on the ocean of his mind, but he finds the ride not as calming as the sounds first appeared. He senses a struggle. Its cause, or the forces involved, remain far outside his skill and focus.

serow
2008-06-13, 09:20 PM
As the minute slowly passes second by second, Kaej suddenly remembers that he was a sailor in his past life, a brave and daring buccaneer of great wealth! He owned a ship called The Heavy Line, and was second only to Grimm the Grim in infamy. Then, he realises that 46 years after his death, the whole of Eberron will experience a great catastrophe and the entire planet will shapeshift into a planet-sized kobold to battle the catastrophe using a very very long longspear.

And as Kaej begins to regain coherent thought, he wonders if that was a premonition, all a dream, or... the crystal. "Be very careful, that thing in the water has very very strong magics about it."

Duke of URL
2008-06-16, 06:35 AM
Knaath

"Well, it's valuable, then. Do your best to retrieve it and we'll keep it safe until we can get an expert to look it over. At least it's not another attack." He leaves the others to the task of securing the crystal, and returns to the goblin.

"See, you say you don't know who hired you, but how can I be sure that you're not lying? The good news is, well at least from my point of view, that I'm rather going to enjoy the next ten minutes or so." He reaches over and grabs the goblin's hand, takes one finger, and breaks it.

To save the need for getting graphic, Knaath will inflict -- and enjoy doing so -- as much pain as he can on the goblin until it passes out. If he gets more information, great, otherwise he'll simply enjoy venting his frustrations.

In any case, when he's done, he'll kill the prisoner, cut off his head, and have it mounted on a pointed stick by the side of the road with a note stuffed in its mouth warning Dirk Tip Academy against sending any more assassins.

The rest of the goblin... well... it is time for breakfast...

Benejeseret
2008-06-17, 02:22 PM
(( *Poke* OOC: unless a PC follows through on Knaath's orders by later tonight I'll NPC either a smunderling or one of the other characters to do it. ))

Nomad5
2008-06-18, 07:36 PM
Maosh

Maosh listens to Kaej's warning and shakes off his attempted meditation hearing Knaath's commands. Playing with magic he didn't understand, which was most of it, was never something he trusted or enjoyed doing. That was best left for the Shaman or some other fool.

As Knaath leaves, Maosh looks at Kaej until he has his attention and then looks to the smunderlings standing near with a plain face. Gain at someone else's expense is always better.

{OOC - My apologies. I have been having problems with the webpage trying to post.}

Benejeseret
2008-06-19, 02:33 PM
With the champions turning back to other tasks, the two gnolls who first noticed the thing originally take up their mining equipment from the cart and begin pickaxing the coral below the crystal. Within a few minutes the shard shifts breaks off into the pool. The mass of it takes four smunderlings to carry to the cart. They leave it there to dry and return to readying the camp to leave.

All of you enjoy a bit of goblin flesh over the fire courtesy of Knaath. The sniveling sot told him nothing more of value about his academy.

I am making a general Intelligence for Knaath here to see if he remembers to ask about the wand Maosh now carries. If it is above DC10 then knaath remembers and you learn the activation (making UMD easier as if used before). [roll0] plus or minus knaath's intel mod

Having broken their fast with some meat, the caravan remains in high spirits as it sets off on the last leg of the journey to the Hag. The sun continues to bake down on the scorching red sands of the cracked riverbed. Within a few hundred feet of leaving camp many notice water still streaming off the back of the cart. In fact, most of the cart is now waterlogged and sloshing around. The small stream pouring off the rear of the cart is leaving a clear water trail of red mud.

Nomad5
2008-06-20, 08:05 PM
Maosh

Maosh "supervises" the removal of the stone with an unrevealed sense of anxiety. Is this a curse or an opportunity?

After the meal he takes to his usual marching. Seeing the stream of water pour from the back of the cart, Maosh checks on the cart to see what has spilled, hoping the water kegs have not sprung a leak. Seeing the crystal sitting in a pool of water, he is not quite sure what to make of this again. Instead he pushes a smunderling toward the cart, "Make sure food not get soggy."

serow
2008-06-22, 10:33 PM
Kaej looks at the crystal warily, cautious of its magic. But it's just sitting there and not doing anything right now, and Kaej doesn't know what to do with it. He touches it a bit, trying to get a feel of its material consistency.

Benejeseret
2008-06-22, 11:49 PM
The few gnolls near the wagon do their best to remove and dry waterlogged items. Each is unwilling to stay to close to the shard but manage to recover all the supplies. One of the younger gnolls simply hops up on the rear corner of the cart and begins bailing with an iron pot. Red specks of mud splash across the ruts left by the passing wheels.

Kaej
The shard is cool and still vibrating slightly. Every so often a larger jiggle seems to rock the small crystal to one side or the other in a circular rhythm. As always, it is wet and sweating water.

The journey continues into the late afternoon. As the halo of the sun begins to kiss the horizon the caravan comes upon a deep gash in the earth. The crack starts as nothing but a hairline and slowly widens as you progress into a chasm some 15 feet across. Its depth trails off into darkness after nearly a hundred feet in the dimming sunlight. Your trail follows the jagged earth before the canyon below you cuts across, halting the wagon's path. In the air you detect the hints of smoke, which grows into the deep aroma of campfires and roasting meat as you round the last hoodoo.

A small rope bridge tied to pounded posts dangles to your left. On the far side a small gnollish camp is setup. Two sentries eye you from small wooden perches overlooking either side of the rope bridge. Your arrival has causes a stir in the camp and some ten to twenty more gnolls and a few flinds are moving about, lighting campfires and preparing an evening meal. Tension surrounds their movements and you can see none of them is far from their weapons. At least four more guards are making their way out to join the sentries each carrying bone longbows.

To the left and below the encampment a smunderling points out activity within the gaping chasm. In the rear of the camp a set of criss-crossed wooden platforms and ladders crawl down the side of the canyon cliffs to a small cavern opening some thirty feet down. A few gnolls in pale robes just scampered down the ladders and into the cavern.

Benejeseret
2008-06-25, 05:43 PM
((bump))

A few of the gnolls from the bridge and approach. Their shields bear the mark of the dust hag. "Vut? Vut do you vant?" the closest calls.

Duke of URL
2008-06-26, 05:51 AM
Knaath

"I, Knaath of the Eye-Gouger clan, on behalf of Calach, Ogre-Mage and clan leader, have come to seek an audience with the hag. And I bear a gift," he adds, holding up the package given to him by the ogre-mage.

Benejeseret
2008-06-27, 10:18 AM
"Ahhh, a gift fer tha Seer...Ve can deliver it fer you." The few gnolls look back and forth, delivering less than subtle winks and nods, "Uh...no foreigners in camp, disturbs da Seer."

{bluff [roll0] - anyone who passes their sense motive can tell it is an obvious ploy....a course if you all fail then obvious or not your characters might believe it. OOC: to lay it out, violence may not be a wise option (but always an option) but you need to find a way to get in to the Seer one way or the other.}

Duke of URL
2008-06-27, 11:30 AM
Knaath

"I don't think so," glares the warlord. "And I suggest that you don't try. We did not come all this way to deal with underlings -- stand aside!"

[roll0], only a natural 1 will fail.
[roll1], (includes +2 racial bonus vs. gnolls)

Nomad5
2008-06-27, 11:37 AM
Maosh

Sense Motive [roll0]

Maosh watches the approaching guards noting the greed in their eyes and the eagerness in their step. How shall we pass these? Intimidation? Bribery? Just kill them? But, not seeing a danger in their steps yet, he remains among the larger group waiting for a better time.

Benejeseret
2008-06-27, 06:26 PM
((Collective intimidation 'save' = [roll0], I gave him a +2 situational check since their whole clan is behind them. Will post once I see the result.))

Benejeseret
2008-06-27, 06:36 PM
((oooh, burns))

The gnolls puff up and look around the camp. With your party being across a flimsy bridge and his guards arriving soon the sentries are not phased by the threats of some 'city-born' clan.

"Vut you thinking strutting around like dat? Ve might be 'underlings' but ve be on the right side of that bridge, no?" He lowers his scimitar to the ropes holding the small bridge, "Ve never heard of the Eye-Gourgers. Vut be your business vith the Seer?"

By now another four guards arrive to the far platforms. Creaking ropes bear them up to small perches where they notch their bows. They do not look overly aggressive, secure that they control the passage.

serow
2008-06-27, 09:56 PM
Kaej mumbles to himself, growling about irritating minions and terrible bridges. "What do you think?" He replies irritatedly. "To get him to see something. He's a seer."

Nomad5
2008-06-30, 11:23 AM
Maosh

Knowledge Check - [roll0]
To see if Maosh knows anything about the Hag or tribe.

Maosh moves forward and thinks about telling the gnolls about taking out their little bridge, but then thinks better of it. Instead he stands next to Kaej and mumbles quietly to him. "Hag is girl. Better not call boy."

Duke of URL
2008-07-01, 09:10 AM
Knaath

Well, that didn't work. Nice going, idiot, he admonishes himself. Still, he wasn't going to back down to this lot.

"Never heard of the Eye-Gougers? My, you must lead sheltered lives here. After we finish our business with the seer, perhaps we can sit down and tell you some stories of life outside your walls."

Benejeseret
2008-07-01, 01:37 PM
The lead sentry gives a hyena-like barking laugh. "Vut, you think we're from around here at all. Bah, Ve be from tha far north. Hired on by tha Seer herself."

"Very vell, a few of you can enter and see if tha clerics let you in to Her." Seeing no hostility he waves the four of you in but insists on the rest and the smunderlings to stay behind at the bridge just within bow's length. "I am Vallice," the sentry greets you as you enter his camp. He begins to lead you toward the ladders along the cliff, "Ve be tha SnowMongers from tha mountains, most here but the Seer and Her clerics all from ma tribe. You can tell our clan brothers by our white fur.." Sure enough most of the camp Gnolls have tuffs of crystal white fur around the edges of their armour.

As you near the ladders a small gnoll with dark fur, slicked with oils beneath a long reddened robe, approaches and bows. He waves an arm out and downward to the cave.

Boggs
2008-07-01, 04:59 PM
Lukas

Lukas remains in the back, keeping to himself to avoid any other difficulties with the clan. When the archers arrive Lukas discreetly tries to knock an arrow, hoping to remain prepared for the chances of an attack.

[roll0]

Nomad5
2008-07-01, 05:24 PM
Maosh

Maosh takes a place following Knaath. "Me not know this hag. What priests does she keep?"

Benejeseret
2008-07-02, 04:03 PM
"Ah, looks like dey vill let you in. Lucky you. You'll find, ogre, that these be silent clerics...lacking a tongue and all. Ve not even sure vut they vant half da time or vhy they follow da Seer." The white gnoll steps back to let the bulk of Moash at the now greatly creaking wooden ladders. It seems these stairways were made from scavenged wood and bound by hide.

A short series of platforms and ladders latter, those entering the cavern face a small crack in the side of the great canyon. The path is lit with small candles whose wax looks more like lumps of congealed fat. The air here is cool and moist blowing out from the crack.

((Moash will have to squeeze to fit through...if he enters I will also make the odd roll to see if he burns himself pushing by a candle.))

The crack proceeds through nearly forty feet at a slightly downward angle before lengthening in breadth and height. A small pool of light swells twenty feet further along. From here a small barrow can be seen, lined with the skeletons of many species cut into the walls in shelves. At its end a small crone sits hunched over on a bed of ancient pillows. She looks up as you approach, candlelight glinting off the bluest eyes you have ever seem. They are incredibly deep, and out of place on a withered and cracked body. Her edges seem so dry that the skin cracks, peels and with each breath small bits crumble into dust. Her wisps of yellowed hair almost all fallen away. She is sitting, kneeling over a small pool of deep water. As you approach the hint of images ripple across its surface but disperse with your footsteps.

"All, the Fulcrum approaches. Will the Gougers of Eyes be the Gougers of Earth? The Parchers or the Drowners stand before us. Will you release the Seas?" the whispers of her voice reaches to you. She rocks, sending cascades of skin and hair down her back. The dark gnoll cleric following her scampers forward to assist the Hag, propping her back with more pillows.

Nomad5
2008-07-02, 06:28 PM
Maosh

Maosh will continue in with the group unless asked to do otherwise with curiosity about the hag pushing him forward into the cramped space. He does what he can to minimize his form, but he is an ogre after all. Any burns will only awaken the spirit before seeing the seer.

As Maosh moves into the final chamber he is careful to move to the side and find a place to be as unnoticed as he can rather than forcing his size to the middle of the chamber. He listens with eagerness to the hag's rattled speech. Not realizing he is speaking his thoughts out, he mutters, "Oohhh. I have not seen the seas."

Benejeseret
2008-07-07, 11:09 AM
Back in the camp the goblin Wu Jen wanders across the bridge and around camp. The gnoll sentries show little concern for a goblin with a withered arm. As he rounds the southern rim of the camp he notices Terran runes etched around a marker stone. In fact, runes etched stones surround much of the camp.

Gathering his spellbook the excited Wu Jen begins study of the runes when a robed cleric comes upon him. Though guarded at first, the silent gnoll sees the goblins true interest and waves him over to a hut. Inside the earth focused Wu Jen finds a huge collection of scrolls and tapestries all in Terran depicting the study and worship of an ancient Earth entity by these clerics. Sensing the ways of Earth about the Wu Jen the clerics inside quickly begin a silent exchange using written runes to converse...

Back in the damp cave, the rest of the party is hunched in the crevasse serving as the Seer's chambers. Two robes attendants flank the Seer and assist in her movement.

Knaath hands over the small package of the Ogre-Mage to one of the attendants who is quick to examine and open the parcel. A single crystal inset with more Terran runes sits wrapped in furs. Bowing, and clearly pleased, the robed clerics turn and hang the shard among many others already surrounding this chamber. They then turn to the crone and prompt her.

The elder hag barely hides a small grimace and glares at yet another crystal along her walls. She shudders, while another clump of withered hair falls to dust along her back. "Visions you seek," she sighs, "and thus shall be."

She starts to circle the small pool. Her attendants carefully follow, as if to ensuring she does not topple in. Her stretched and gnarled hand reaches over the pool and a sprinkling of dust scatters the surface. The waters go dark with only three spots of orange lights dancing on the ripples. The Hag stares for a few moments.

"Seek those of horn and hoof, for their fires warm your very roof," the strained voice quiets and the hag approaches Maosh. Near the ogre she leans in quickly and whispers in his ear.

"and bring me the crystal of my birth, and we shall drown this retched earth."

The robes clerics' eyes narrow. The hag moved too quickly for them to catch her words, and they now lead her back to her pillows, but their heads keep turning to eye the ogre suspiciously.

Duke of URL
2008-07-08, 06:42 AM
Knaath

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

Knaath tries to keep his voice steady, despite his frustration. "I don't suppose you could speak a bit more plainly?"

serow
2008-07-08, 07:49 AM
Kaej follows into the Seer's lair. He lowers his eyes a little, wishing to himself that he had remembered to smoke a little smelling weed before he entered. Now, staring at this old hag, he tries to think about her words: a clue, or a test?

OOC:Try for Sense Motive
[roll0]

Benejeseret
2008-07-08, 09:41 AM
The hag rests against her pillow mound and deflates into a pile of cloth. Knaath's words go unanswered and the gnoll attendants prepare to start escorting you out. From beneath the rags, the old crone's deep blue eyes never leave Maosh. They stay on him, alert and tracking, while the rest of her body fains exhaustion.

Kaej
You sense that is a clue, and you think it is about the location you seek (your future mine).

Rest
She's a dust hag...vision of the future and dreams of all possibilities...and positively mad as a hatter to anyone who listen to her. Yet there is wisdom there to those who can pick it out of the ramblings.

If you need hints interpreting send me a PM

Nomad5
2008-07-08, 11:18 AM
Maosh

Maosh does not start as the hag leans to him with her secret poem, but is surprised by her voice. Outwardly he does not move. As soon as he realizes that this was a private message he begins concentrating to remember the message, saying the words over in his head, hearing the dryness of her voice next to his ear, memorizing his body position. Is she a seer or a prisoner? Or too far mad to know the difference?

As the attendants move to show everyone out of the cave, Maosh stays in position as long as he can without offense, studying the chamber where they sit. Spot - [roll0]
Search - [roll1]
I'm not sure which roll is needed so I'll make both. I would like to look around the chamber to find other entrances.
As he rises he locks gazes with the hag one last time to gauge the sanity of the hag, if that can even be done, and the intention of her message.
Sense Motive - [roll2]

Benejeseret
2008-07-08, 12:08 PM
The bulk of Maosh prevents easily looking around the enclosure, his head and shoulders stooped to the point of crammed to fit in the low cave. There is, however, clearly no other entrance to this chamber. One attendant seems to be ushering them out while the other stays at the hag's elbow.

From within the pillows eyes of the crone bore into the ogre. They are clear, focused, with intent. The robed gnoll at her side notices the intensity of her gaze and snaps his head up to their destination, staring at the ogre himself. He rises to assist his fellow standing directly between Maosh and the hag. He gives a gurgled growl, lacking a tongue, urging Maosh out.

Duke of URL
2008-07-08, 12:26 PM
Knaath

The warleader decides to wait until they return to their caravan before discussing the matter. He tries to appear unworried as he engages in playful and boastful banter with the gnoll gate guards.

After they cross the bridge, he turns to Kaej and Maosh. "Did either of you have an idea what the hag meant?"

(( Apologies if I'm moving out of the hag's settlement/camp too fast -- feel free to interject anything prior to this... ))

Benejeseret
2008-07-08, 09:52 PM
I am fine with it the timing, gives Maosh and Kaej a chance to bring the leader up to speed on what they noticed/heard. You are still right outside the hag's camp so it is very easy to try and return just across the bridge.

FYI: the SnowMongers have improved their reactions to you to indifferent and the lead sentry boarders on friendly after the chats and peaceful interactions. The dark furred cleric gnolls however have reduced to unfriendly out of general suspicion.

The gate guards, bored as they are in this desert camp, are more than willing to yip and boast back. They begin a round of "biggest gnome they ever caught" stories as each after the next makes up ridiculously ego driven stories of giant forest gnomes. As you prepare to cross back over the ropes Wallace appears, "Vell you sure know how ta drum up dem dark-furs. Very luck fer you none a us SnowMongers like dem lot much. Yer little goblin friend, however, seems to have taken a shining to dem." the large white gnoll jerks a clawed thumb back to a rune covered hut, "Me thinks you'll be lucky ta get him back by dat look in his eyes. Dem Earth-lovers like him stick together pretty tight."

He sees you off to your clanmates. Along the way there is an offer for supper and a night at the camp if you wish.

Nomad5
2008-07-08, 10:47 PM
Maosh

After the crossing the bridge, Maosh responds to Knaath.
"Yes. Sometimes shaman read words sound like that. She make me think you don't know where new mine is at." Maosh chuckles at this for a moment. "She talk 'bout bull clan, Min-tar. No others are horn and hoof."
Knowledge [Geography] - [roll0]
Who knows, I may have seen a map once.

"Me confused 'bout secret message. She lean in and say..." Maosh closes his eyes and starts counting words on his fingers. After a few moments he shrugs and recites with his eyes closed, "Bring me crystal of my birth... then we... will... drown the earth." Maosh opens his eyes and looks at both of them. "What that mean?"

serow
2008-07-10, 01:33 AM
"Horn and hoof... Horn and hoof." Kaej mutters. "Their fires warm our very roof." Kaej shrugs, not too sure what to make of it at the moment. "Sounds like a clue, definitely more than a test." Even the smelling weed is losing a little of its magic, if he can't figure out the puzzle. "Something to burn? Someone is burning something?"

Duke of URL
2008-07-10, 09:29 AM
Knaath

"Minotaurs sound reasonable for 'horn and hoof', but what of the fires? Are we meant to mine underneath their encampments, perhaps?"

Benejeseret
2008-07-20, 10:59 AM
The rest of the gnolls look on, back and forth like pups. The alchemist is the only one to pipe up at all, "Yesss Warmaster, I am not trained in the rambles of inane old hags, but that would seem reasonable," he looks around the other smunderlings for support but finds only glazed eyes, "Ah, and the clan looks rather hungry and our rations are thinning...are we to sup with the encampment?"

serow
2008-07-22, 10:13 AM
"Sup would be good. While we figure out this riddle." Kaej takes out his smelling weed, closing his eyes as he inhales in the dull but mildly piercing smell. "Meat, I want meat."

Duke of URL
2008-07-22, 12:39 PM
Knaath

"Yes, I think it would be nice to dine with our new friends."

Nomad5
2008-07-22, 07:32 PM
Maosh

Maosh nods his head in agreement. "Mmm... need food. Help me think about hag riddle." You can see Maosh's face fade to the memory of a good meal as he breaths in a deep breath from the roasting fire in his mind, and then shake back to the present. He pushes past the smunderlings suddenly moving toward the cart. "Wait. Why we have no food?" Upon reaching the cart he throws back the covering. "Did we lose food to soggy cart?" Peering around the cart, he stops and stares at the giant crystal, once again entranced in its mystery.

Benejeseret
2008-07-23, 09:59 AM
Most of the food packets have been spared all bundled in a hide blanket kept near the driver. Overall the rear cart is still soggy as the crystal continues to bead water down its surface. The rest of the equipment and ropes are fine being slightly wet.

A sentry arrives a few minutes later and invites you all inside the encampment. To the east is the main SnowMonger camp separate slightly from the rune covered areas of the clerics. None of the clerics join the meal.

The meal and company is good. Much meat to be had by all.

As the evening dims Eerb approaches you holding a hefty sack (hefty for a goblin). "Knaath, these cleric...their writings...you have no idea their connection with the Earth. I," he looks around the group before piping up with a slight squeek, "I cannot stay with you and have come to buy out my contract." Tosses the sack into the circle dinning.

This part is rather open for RP and optional "side-quests" depending on how you take them. The main quest will restart once you all officially head out off toward the future mine. Anything more you want to do here...now is the time to set those plans in motion...and decide on Eerb's 'retirement'.

Nomad5
2008-07-23, 07:45 PM
Maosh

Maosh follows the group to the fireside meal and enjoys the meal. He is interested in the relationships here and asks several questions throughout the meal, scattered in the casual conversation.
"The clerics no look like snow tribe. How they get here?"
"... no, me just ogre that work at Temple of Groemel Draal, I help orc priests and monks. What the priests here do?"
"... this is good camp with strong bridge to hold. Why snow tribe come out of snow? This seem like long way from big mountains."
"... snow tribe does look like strong tribe. Where you find the hag, the seer? How long she been here? She must be good ally to tribe..."

When Eerb show up, Maosh listens to his explanation. "It look like gobo has gods in the eyes." After his slipped comment he decides to wait for Knaath's response before saying any more.

serow
2008-07-24, 09:49 AM
Kaej moves to the crystal and gazes at it. Seeing that no one is bothering much with it right now, Kaej takes a few moments to refresh the duration of his invocations upon himself. Wisely, he does not use Detect Magic upon the crystal again. Once that is done, he sits next to the crystal, alternating between chewing on a piece of meat and smelling his weeds. He does not proceed to make conversation with the camp, instead content with his location. His mind however, keeps thinking back about the riddle.

Duke of URL
2008-07-24, 01:58 PM
Knaath

Knaath glares at Ereb. "What, a few challenges along the way and you wish to quit? A glorious future awaits us, with wealth and honor. And you want throw that all away to study dirt and rocks?"

He grabs the sack and waves it in front of Ereb's face. "Accepted." He then steps away and continues. "Who needs one so weak? We shall use this fee to hire someone who can actually be of use to us." The last is said with a definite hint that any of the gate guard gnolls may be welcome should they choose accept the offer.

Then Knaath turns away. "Begone, coward."

Benejeseret
2008-07-25, 09:38 AM
The little green one takes it all, silently. Afterwards he turns and makes a stiff-legged walk back to the cleric's tent. Those with training in sensing ones mood can easily spot the signs of fuming.

Soon the ruckus surrounding the goblins dies back into general revelry. A few of the SnowMongers gather around the lead sentry as he begins to spin the history of his tribe for the Ogre:

The SnowMongers were born of the tundra. Upon northern islands and fjordes the clan followed the ice-flow. The hunt was pure, and the clan strong.

But then came men. In their ships, explorers and geographers, they took the spirit of the islands. Gave them names and bound them to maps. They could no longer flow with the ice. The clan was weak. Dependent on man's foods and cloth they became until the time of the Great War. Old chief wanted power, wanted respect amongst the tribes of man, and entered the War to capture their respect. If only he knew how large this land was. No island here, just land, and land full of men.

After the time of blood the clan wandered. Slowly pushed to this wild land where they could hunt freely. Then the dreams came. Dreams of islands. Dreams that left memories and thoughts. Dreams with direction.

New clan found the hag here, the priests already with her. Came seeking answers to the dreams from the Seer. Her answer short, "Seek not the islands, for the islands will find you."

And so the clan stays. Hunting here poor. The heat burns the clan, and the dirt is nothing like the ice. But the wise one spoke, and the dreams stopped. So we stay.

The story ends and much of the white gnolls break off to form hunting parties. Watching them leave the Wallace explains, "Days to hot for clan. We only go out at night to hunt as the sands cool." he pauses awhile, "Clerics never join. They never do anything we see. Just sit in their huts. Dey try to chant...deep choking sounds cause dey gots no tongues. Dey here when we came, dey still here now."

"Your clan leaving soon? Or goinna wait with us fer tha islands?"

Benejeseret
2008-07-28, 10:17 PM
Before Knaath can answer a smunderling begins choking on a chicken bone. After a few flailing thumps from his mates he's OK.

((Sorry, someone was about to say.......))
((*cough*bump*ehem))

Nomad5
2008-07-29, 08:29 PM
Maosh

Maosh listens intently to the story from the chief of the Snow Mongers, revelling in the tradition surrounding the story. Nodding to the chief Maosh comments,
"Snow clan is clan of honor. Me not get all of story. How do islands move? This sound like BIG magic. And why you feed clerics? In my clan... if you not help clan... you not in clan." Maosh gestures with some finality letting the meaning fulfill itself as would be obvious to all that live in Droaam.

Nomad5
2008-08-07, 07:48 PM
Maosh

As the feast continues Maosh spends some time watching Kaej ponder the wagon. Why is he staring at the wagon? I wonder if the Snow Tribe offends him? As Maosh watches Kaej, he sees something that amazes him. When Kaej, during his concentration, absently reaches out to touch the crystal in the wagon, he pulls his hand back wet and shakes the droplets from his hand. How is the crystal wet on top? After the meal, Maosh finds his place to sleep among the ranks pondering this new wonder he has seen.

The night wears at him, almost sleepless, when a dream passes to him at the edges of sleep. He watches as flying islands circle the encampment waiting for their time to come and settle with the Snowmongers. The Snowmongers although waiting for their homes, cannot see them hovering about. He turns to watch as the crystal is poured out as an endless cistern on the whole encampment. The dream turns hectic as the water is continually poured out. He can hear cries of fear and adulation, and chanting of prayers all about him, but he cannot move his vision from the crystal to see what is happening to the tribe.

Maosh wakes to the noises of his dream with a start and spends some moments gathering his wits and reciting prayers to Mockery for this vision. But knowing the import of his decision he wastes little time, confident that his next actions will be more of an offering to Mockery than this time in prayer. Acting as if by intuition, he rises to find the crystal and forms his plan. First, secure the crystal to carry with a sack and rope, perhaps on my back. Next, make my way through the camp without raising alarm and climb down to the cave entrance by ladder or by cliff-side. I can then deliver this crystal to the only one here who may know what to do with it. Two images are secure in Maosh's mind that drive him forward with purpose, the dream of the crystal being poured out and the locking stare of the hag.

Some rolls for various things:
Use Rope: [roll0] -- Although putting it in a sack and securing it may be easy.
Spot: [roll1] -- Avoiding others.
Listen: [roll2] -- Avoiding others.
Move Silently: [roll3] -- Let's not draw attention.
Hide: [roll4] -- If needed, though let's not be conspicuous.
Climb: [roll5] -- Getting to the cave entrance.
Jump: [roll6] -- In case needed getting to the cave entrance.

Duke of URL
2008-08-08, 10:42 AM
Knaath

(( Before the ogre's stealth act... ))

"Do you expect these 'islands' soon? We must leave in the morning, as we still must answer to our chiefs."

Benejeseret
2008-08-09, 09:17 PM
((Knaath's taking to Wallace yes?))

"Vell," the white gnoll puffs out his chest and looks around, "Ve not really know," he admits deflating. "Ve been here long time, no islands. Me and da others not doubting da Seer...but tha heat here is gettin' ta the clan." Wallace walks towards the bridge with Knaath. They make idle chat about the clans future and plans before heading to respective camps for sleep in the early morning hours.

Just before the sun breaks the Ogre makes its move. The camps are silent and dim of the dying fires cast little light. So set in watching for the SnowMongers or Clerics Maosh stumbles directly into Knaath - waking the warleader.

((Knaath now has an option, to join Maosh in this little adventure, to stop him, or to go back to sleep and try to claim ignorance of any outcome. Since I am in the process of recruiting more members for this game I will give away that completing this task will change a lot of things. It will delay you reaching the mine-site by a few day to up to a week and will DRASTICALLY change the region. That is all I'll say - oh and that either way, by taking that crystal in the first place you have gotten yourselves involved in a major Elemental Plane War so either way, action or inaction, you will be perceived as picking a side.))

Duke of URL
2008-08-11, 06:44 AM
Knaath

Knaath is a little disoriented. "Maosh... where in the nine hells are you doing? And wha... wait... is that that strange crystal we found back on the road? Okay... I need answers, now, and I imagine quickly, given that you're sneaking around in the dead of night."

The flind is insistent, but does not seem particularly angry.

Nomad5
2008-08-11, 01:01 PM
Maosh

Stumbling over the warleader, Maosh looks a bit disgruntled with himself. Fates be what they are. Maosh tries to gather his thoughts to explain his actions, something he had not considered doing before. He kneels down next to Knaath speaking softly. "Kaej knows riddle. He look at crystal all night. The hag wants crystal. And she can be strong ally to us." Knowing that this may not be enough to explain, he struggles with his next admission. "I think crystal bring islands to Snow Tribe." Maosh grins a little. "Another strong ally." Maosh fixes his look on Knaath, determined his decision is right.

Duke of URL
2008-08-11, 02:00 PM
Knaath

This expedition is ill-omened, isn't it? Very well... Knaath sighs heavily.

"All right. If you're going to do this, you might need help. So I guess it's you and me. Just make sure we don't get ourselves killed, because that will just make me angry," he adds with a wink as he makes ready to tag along.

Nomad5
2008-08-12, 01:43 PM
Maosh

Maosh grins in return. "We change much today."
"Not big plan. Need to get in cave. I think Snow Tribe not stop us. You make them understand. We see hag about islands. Clerics be some problem. Me only see one way in cave, so I climb to it and go find hag. She know what to do after that." Maosh waits for any input from the the flind, and then remembers, "Unless they stop us at bridge."

Benejeseret
2008-08-12, 02:22 PM
After the night of revelry the sentries on the bridge have been greatly reduced as a sign of trust between tribes. The two sleepy gnolls propped against the wooded struts bear their hyenish grins and wave the two lone wanderers through with a joke about returning to Esmeralda's tent...one of female gnolls who put on quite the performance earlier in the night.

The camp is spread out and quiet. Three small fires smolder off near the yurts and the glow of the central bonfire's ashes casts a red warm over the camp. A few of the gnolls, having not made it to bed, lay curled up near its warm - clutching their empty screech bottles.

You make your way along the western edge toward the ladders. The few rune-laden cleric huts near the cliff-side retreat still show some movement. Through the flapping leather doors of the main yurt a single candle flickers and you can hear light muttering in goblin. Likely, Eerb still enthralled by the earth rune teachings. You give the huts a wide clearance and make for the ladders.

Knaath slithers down to the first platform quietly, but as the mass of Maosh loads the structure it gives a low and rumbling creak. One platform below some ten feet down a wooden ramp a single cleric was kneeling in prayer facing the depths of the great canyon. At the creak his meditations pause and he turns in your direction.

His eyes bulge in surprise as his tongueless throat rasps a muffled cry. He trips over the pillow kneeling pad while scrambling to rise.

OOC

Tactical - Maosh is still on the ladder (easy climb) thus denied Dex and flatfooted. The cleric was surprised and so is flatfooted. Thus Knaath can make one standard action right off as a surprise.

Knaath is on a 10' square wooden platform 10' down a ladder from the top of the canyon. The platform is gnoll crafted and so not the most stable being perched against wooden struts and held together by leather straps.

There is a 10' angled ramp with railing leading down to a second platform. The cave entrance is right against that platform. The cleric seems to be trying to move toward the cave entrance but for now he is on the second 10' square platform.

Duke of URL
2008-08-12, 09:21 PM
Knaath

No bloodshed if it can be avoided... The flind moves after the cleric, trying to silence him before he can rouse anyone else.

Move: Close to cleric
Standard: [roll0], attempting non-lethal damage
Free: (whispers) "Silence, or I shall be forced to really hurt you."

Benejeseret
2008-08-13, 02:55 PM
Initiative
Maosh, then Knaath, then the Cleric who remains flatfooted till his turn. Maosh cannot charge, but sliding down the ladder can be part of normal movement with no movement penalties.

Maosh is up

Nomad5
2008-08-14, 01:42 PM
Maosh (Pre-Round 1)

I like guards with no tongues... Maosh considers the jump, but hearing the creaking of the ladder under his mass, he decides against the aggressive attack.
"Block cave."

Move: None
Standard: Move down ladder to landing.
Free/Swift:

Benejeseret
2008-08-15, 04:58 PM
Round 1

Maosh, causious of the structure holding them over a cavern unending, remains slow and purposeful in his decent. He even has tme to carefully creep along the ramp leading to the lower platform.

Knaath causes a slight sway and shiver along the structs. The Flind's quick pounce catches the collar of the scrambling cleric. The gnoll flails, grasping at the railing. The larger Flind throws an arm around its throat. Knaath whispers directly into his ear as the cleric's eyes bulge.

Although one clawed hand vainly scrapes at Knaath's grip, the other snakes to a lether belt to take up a small curved dagger. In the struggle, the dagger plunges backhanded to Knaath's thigh. Leather straps of his armer deflect the thin blade.

((Summary, cleric is grappled and now armed. No damage to report yet. Back to Maosh who is about 10' back and 5' up, then Knaath for normal rounds))

Nomad5
2008-08-15, 05:59 PM
Maosh (Pre-Round 1)

Seeing the cleric well in hand, Maosh does not rush, making sure to not unbalance the structure. If possible he moves toward the cave to cautiously see if the commotion has alarmed anyone.
{Conditional} If the fight is near the entrance, then he will risk looking in the cave, otherwise he will go near and listen.
Otherwise he will move to the fight.

Move: Move as above.
Standard:
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Hide: [roll2]
Free/Swift: "Dump him over. He no scream."

Duke of URL
2008-08-15, 09:22 PM
Knaath
HP 56/56; AC 23, flat 23, touch 11

Ignoring the dagger, Knaath tries to use his superior position to squeeze the cleric into unconsciousness.

Free: (whispers) "Drop the knife! If blood is shed, I will show no mercy!"
Standard: [roll0] to [roll1] (nonlethal)

Benejeseret
2008-08-15, 10:09 PM
Round 2

In the grasp of the Flind, the gnoll struggles to breathe. The sclera of his eyes turning a murky red. His black arm still tries to slash backward at Knaath, but the overpowering hold offers no targets for the blade.

At the cave entrance Maosh can hear a soft humming. The throat offering the tune is dry and raspy. He can also hear the soft snores of at least two other bodies.

As the gnoll struggles he kicks out. A clawed foot shatters a plank of the railing. Splinters chitter and cascade down the rock-face. Maosh here's "Hrkk!" as a form inside suddenly awakes.

Benejeseret
2008-08-17, 09:29 AM
Maosh (NPC'd)

Following Knaath's lead, the ogre moves toward the sounds from inside to quite them. He finds two clerics just rising. A meaty hand helps shake off any sleepy grogginess by roughly grabbing one of the new clerics in a choke hold. He turns to Knaath, "More tongueless ones."

{Maosh is now grappling as well for non-lethal damage. There is a third cleric as well. Knaath is up}

Duke of URL
2008-08-19, 06:53 AM
Knaath

The flind winces slightly as the gnoll manages to make some noise. Damn... this is going to get tough. He focuses on finishing off the cleric in his grip.

Standard: Maintain [roll0] for nonlethal [roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-08-20, 11:31 AM
Round 3

Both of the clerics struggle in vain against the brute power of the trespassers. Each slashes with their daggers, but your thick hide and armour keeps the blades from flesh. The cleric in Knaath's grip begins to weaken in his grip but keeps up the struggle.

Then you feel the tug. A cold indrawing of air and you can feel your very lifeforce itself quiver. This sensation is just enough to alert Knaath to the coming danger. With its hand pulsing with dark energies the final cleric slips around Maosh and lunges at the warchief. The Flind manages to dodge the first swipe, but the cleric and his dark energies rears and prepares to swipe again.

((heh, lucky you. The cleric managed to fail his touch attack and the other two rolled poorly as well))

Benejeseret
2008-08-20, 11:35 AM
Maosh (NPC'd)

The ogre tries to slam his prey against the wall of the cave.

grapple [roll0] for [roll1]

Duke of URL
2008-08-20, 12:22 PM
Knaath

Now letting anger wash over him, Knaath tires to finish off the cleric in his grip before letting loose on the one behind him.

Once the first cleric succumbs, Knaath will use lethal force (including any AoOs generated) against the other cleric.

Standard: Maintain [roll0] for nonlethal [roll1]

Benejeseret
2008-08-22, 02:20 PM
Round 4

The cleric's eyes roll and it collapses into Knaath. However, the sucking darkness swirling around the other's form gives the Flind little time to think. With a quiet rustle the first cleric slumps to the ground as Knaath spins to meet the next lunge of the dark-wielder.

The body at his feet gets in the way. Claws dig into the sprawled red robes, binding Knaath's right foot as he tries to swivel. With a startle the Flind finds himself off balance and nearly tumbling over the railing. Darkness pooled around the cleric's hand snaps in a the opportunity, striking the Flind across the shoulder. Knaath feels a horrendous chill as parts of his life-force is stripped.

With a snarling growl the ogre slams his entangled foe twice more into the cave wall. Small dust and chips rain down on the combatants. Though battered, the cleric in Maosh's grip slashes out with its dagger without success.

I rolled Knaath's AoO and it was natural 1.

Knaath is inflicted with 5 magical damage

Maosh is still grappling and harming his opponent.

Knaath is now beside the free cleric and it is back to Knaath's turn

Duke of URL
2008-08-26, 08:10 AM
Knaath
HP 51/56; AC 23, flat 23, touch 11

Instead of showing anger at the touch of magical energy, the warleader smiles maliciously. "I tried not to kill any of you... but since you prefer it this way, I'm going to let myself enjoy it."

Benejeseret
2008-08-26, 02:00 PM
Round 5

The cleric, coming down for the divine high of energy, suddenly realizes that he is alone facing the Flind. Nostrils flare and pupils dilate. It tries to scramble back but is met by the flindbar. The weapon slams against the cleric's cheek, twisting the gnoll as it smacks to the far cavern wall. Spitting out blood and a few teeth it staggers a few steps.

To its right the ogre has pressed his foe into the ground and is repeatedly punching the bloodies gnoll into unconsciousness. At each swing, a flick of water cascades down the ogre's arm and hits the floor as mud. The sight of the liquid, and the crystal that it beads from, enrages the last gnoll who rushes back at Knaath intent on bull rushing him right off the platform's edge.

Knaath gets an AoO as the gnoll bull rushes him. Include the attack and the damage as well as the opposed str check it case it proceeds.
[roll0] is the clerics str check.

Moash took a minor scrape from the gnoll he fights (2 HP) but then knocks the cleric out. Maosh is free to act now that you're back, once Knaath's AoO/bull rush is resolved.

Duke of URL
2008-08-26, 02:09 PM
Knaath

Seeing the charge coming, the Flind merely smiles and lashes out again.

AoO: [roll0], [roll1]
Bull Rush; [roll2] (if necessary)

(( Edit: Natural 1? Sheesh. I hope the AoO does the job first... ))

Nomad5
2008-08-26, 07:02 PM
Maosh (Round 5)
HP=42/44, AC=18, Touch=10, Flatfooted=17

Maosh grins as he hears Knaath give into the bloodlust. This will be a good day.

Move: Wield club.
Standard: Attack last cleric with club if in range (flanking bonus?), or look for incoming if not:
Attack: [roll0] for Damage: [roll1]
Free/Swift: --

Benejeseret
2008-08-26, 07:26 PM
Despite the seething hatred in the eye of the oncoming gnoll, it learns that mind cannot always overcome matter. The warchief pivots backward over his left leg. This bring the arc of the flindbar coming down over the right clavicle of the cleric. Bones crunch at the connection.

The broken form continues with its accelerated momentum with a great smash to the back from the ogre, sending it crashing onto and through the rickety wooden railing. With a throaty whimper the dark form tumbles into the darkness below.

You are left with two unconscious cleric. They way inward is clear.

Duke of URL
2008-08-26, 08:27 PM
Knaath

"Well, I was going to let them live, but now I'm angry," Knaath says calmly to Maosh as he casually delivers a fatal coup de grace to the cleric he had grappled with. "Now where to?"

Nomad5
2008-08-27, 12:03 AM
Maosh

Shaking stray water from his arms as if sweat, Maosh motions to the two incapacitated gnoll-mutes. "How angry?"

After shaking a lot of water away and not really realizing that there is just as much replacing it, he looks further into the cave speaking softly. "Now, we find hag."

Some rolls in case they are needed:
Hide: [roll0]
Move Silent: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]

Duke of URL
2008-08-27, 06:38 AM
Knaath

"Angry enough. Lead the way."

Benejeseret
2008-08-27, 09:20 AM
The cavern is short and as cramped as it was before. The candles along the walls are extinguished. Maosh is uncomfortable squeezing but nothing more.

As you come to the small pool room, you see the following. The Hag is slumped backward amongst her willow pile. Her right foot dangles out over the small pool that shimmers slightly as if catching the moon, yet the cavern has no cracks overhead. All around the trinkets on the walls lightly clack and twist in a breeze without direction.

The hag is in a deep dream state. The noise of combat did not wake her, nor does any attempt you make to rouse her.

Nomad5
2008-08-28, 12:57 AM
Maosh

Maosh squats down as he had before in this chamber, but pushes forward this time. "Seer. I come as you ask. Seer, we come. We have crystal." He pushes himself closer as he speaks, up to the edge of the pool where he stops to gaze into the pool under the hag's foot, studying deeply for a moment.

When the hag does not respond he sits back to think or wait, not knowing which will end first. "How we wake her? Splash water? Give crystal?" As he talks he absently shakes his arms again, splashing water from the crystal about the room.

Duke of URL
2008-08-28, 10:29 AM
Knaath

"I had assumed that you knew what to do when we started this..." He sighs. "If the crystal is what she wanted, then I suggest giving it to her."

Benejeseret
2008-08-28, 04:47 PM
As Maosh glances into the pool he sees a swirl of images around a central pair of deep blue eyes. A dreamscape of images swirl past the shimmering orbs that seem to follow your movements around the cavern. The eyes brighten as the crystal approaches.

Nomad5
2008-08-29, 12:00 AM
Maosh

Maosh unslings the crystal from his back. "Maybe it wants the crystal," he says, pointing at the pool. He continuous to unravel the crystal. "At the temple, they teach us the ways of Droaam. I learn we get big by standing on others." Maosh changes his voice a bit, as if imitating someone else, "He tell us to find others great, and bind with them, until it is time."

Finishing the unwrapping of the crystal, Maosh takes the crystal securely in his hands, glances up at Knaath, and approaches the hag slowly. "Seer, we bring crystal." He shakes the crystal lightly over the seer and lowers it until it is touching her.

Benejeseret
2008-08-29, 11:58 AM
((He touches the Hag?))

Despite the dramatics, nothing happens.

From the pool there is a distinct eye roll from the watery image.

Nomad5
2008-08-29, 12:09 PM
((Yes, he's not the brightest bulb in the box.))

Maosh

"It no work. She want crystal, but no take." Being crouched down close to the pool, he sees the frustration in the eyes within the pool as they mock him. "What? You want crystal?" He extends the crystal out with one hand quickly, bumping the hag to the side and breaking the surface of the water with the other end of the crystal.

Duke of URL
2008-08-29, 12:24 PM
Knaath

"Uh... is that a... good idea?" Knaath starts speaking, but not before Maosh acts.

Benejeseret
2008-09-03, 06:41 PM
Maosh hears something tear. It is not so much hear, as feel. And upon recalling the sensation later the ogre will remember it as a sensing, rather than true feeling.

But something has torn. The wrenching backlash of shattered wards and planar seals screams across the senses. Then poured forth the water. From the small pool surging upward a sea of water that slams you aside as dolls.

The torrent pulls you along its path, ripping through the tiny cavern roots and smashing past the wooden support struts. After but a few second of feverish, drowning terror you are free of the water.

And free-falling past the destroyed platforms following the arc of the water tumbling into the utter depths of the cavern.

Foam, water and spittle seems to hang in the air around you. It not for the rushing cliff face a few meters away the sheer oddity and serenity of the scene could be peaceful.

As you tumble and scream a flicker of movement is seen in the depths below. A wall of water has already filled the cavernous depths and rushes up to meet you. You plunge into the icy water in a burst of bubbles.

Breaking the surface is difficult as the entire face of the water is surging upward. Over the deafening roar of the water is the grating slam of deep rock. The few times your head breaks the water you can see the stars far above, and the cavern wall flanking rumbling and closing overhead.

Blackness threatens to overtake your mind. Conscious seems fragmented in the turmoil as you crash around, waves bearing you to the surface and then crashing over you once more.

Then the water brightens. You have just been flung over the cavern walls and thrown upward by the force. Everything splashes down into a muddy sea of silt and the remnants of the broken camp.

Grabbing hold of a floating barrel, the darkness finally overtakes you and you slip into unconsciousness.

The dawn light breaks over the new sea. The cawing of birds is what awakens Knaath and Maosh now washed up upon a shoreline.

((more to come))

Benejeseret
2008-09-04, 09:11 AM

The dawn light breaks over the new sea. The cawing of birds is what awakens Knaath and Maosh now washed up upon a shoreline. They are half covered in silt and mud pushed into a soggy tidal pool of lapping water.

The clouds overhead are overcast and a light wind ripples across the new waters. Everything is different. Once a desolate and dry landscape of dunes and sun-baked beds in now a thick sea of a deep muddy green. Once the red sands settle out of the water the area will look gorgeous and rich. For now, the water ends on wet islands of sand dunes - no plants grow anywhere near.

A kilometer to the east, the remnants of the shattered camp drift on waves and collect against a small bay. You can just see the outline of FingerDeath struggling with a few gnolls trying to pull her out of the mud. A band of gnolls are pulling themselves out of the water a bit farther along, a mix of your smunderlings and the SnowMongers from the colours. ((Wallace is among them))

(Wallace:)
You pull yourself ashore with the remaining members of your tribe and a few of the smunderling gnolls. There are about 40 gnolls in all. The debris of your old camp is along the shore and in the water. All the clan's supplies and spoils are dispersed somewhere about.

To the South of Knaath and Maosh a tiny plume of smoke breaks the morning horizon. A small campfire most likely.

(Our New Hobgoblins:)
While tracking the mining expedition you had stopped for the night half a days walk south of them. Last night brought little sleep as a series of earth tremors kept your band awake.

There are the two of you plus 5 student excavators to assist with the digging. There is a frightened mule hauling your supplies and dig gear.

You awake to an amazing scene. A massive sea now sits just three hundred meters of the atoll you where camping on. From here you can see far off movement along the eastern shore. A large party of humanoids are pulling themselves from the water's edge.

Duke of URL
2008-09-04, 09:50 AM
Knaath

The waterlogged flind sits up woozily and coughs a little remaining water out of his lungs. Looking to Wallace, he says, "was this what you were thinking about when waiting for your islands?"

Diarmuid
2008-09-04, 01:28 PM
Wallace

Wallace began barking orders for the camp's supplies to be fished out of the water, not differentiating between gnolls and smunderlings for the time being.

At the words from the Flind, he turns and takes in the flind a bit before responding,

"Theese not necessarily vhat I vhas theenking.....but....it vhill do. Anytink is better zan ze hot sands. I can only imageen earth-huggers vhill naught be pleaced vhith theese development."

He turns to make sure none of his tribe are drowning, not many had much experience with waters of this magnitude. Seeing all on it's way to a degree of normalcy, he again turns his observant eyes on Knaath and Moash,

"It eese nout a coincidence zat you and your people haff just arrived vhen this...."

He waves his hand across the vastly changed face of the land around them,

"...happens, is eet?"

A dark look comes over Wallace as a bit of realization comes to him,

"Haff you seen ze seer? I vorry she not make it out of cave vhith all this vhater comink so fast."

That said, he moves off to set a few gnolls to look for the seer.

Darkantra
2008-09-04, 01:44 PM
Draashek Lore-Guardian

Draashek hated traveling. Finally arriving at his destination was fine, but the time it took to get there galled him. Every mile was time that he could have spent in his research.

His introduction to the Burning Spade Surveyors had been brief and just a month after joining the company he was shipped out with a team of students. The Eye-Gouger's priests had predicted a tragedy in the group, and when the Burning Spade Mages tried to contact their employee, an artificer, they found that he was dead. So the Eye-Gougers had hired him, another hobgoblin and their team.

They'd been on the trail for days, and the last night they had spotted the Gnoll encampment a short distance away. Opting to camp for the night rather than walk into an unknown stronghold tired the students were agog at the sight of the inland sea. Draashek just frowned at the sudden creation.

"That much water, there must have been some powerful magic at work," he looks at Wolg-Todarg, "The ones we're following better not be under all of that, I don't want to have to swim through that to confirm their deaths."

Draashek looks down from the atoll and spat towards the lake. He was a large hobgoblin, with corded muscle and a thick figure, but unusually for one of his race his hands were stained with ink. Though he bore weapons a large tome was looped onto his belt so that he could reach it effectively, and he had been leafing through it before he spat out over the lake.

"You lot," he snarls at the students, "Bring the mule down to the water and stay there until we get back. Wolg-Todarg, we should see if those people there know what in Khyber just happened, and where the mining expedition is."

Nomad5
2008-09-04, 05:05 PM
((What is "FingerDeath"? I don't remember this.))

Maosh

Maosh is awakened by the sounds of new chaos, new struggle... life itself. He sits up in the water and casts his gaze about the landscape. Always the unexpected. We had banded together in purpose, battled the enemies in our path, been betrayed from within to break us apart. But this is the first step in our success. 'The ore must be mined before the steel can be forged.' This is why he had chosen to follow the call of the Mockery and join this expedition.

He sits reflecting on the struggle of the night before and listening to Knaath and Wallace."Me wonder if da seer make it too. I think water make her stronger, or she not ask me to bring it to her. Me not hear about Dust Hag before. Maybe she a Sea Hag with no water. And she wait for islands like Snow Tribe. Maosh thinks on this a moment before rising and splashing himself in the water to wash off the caked on sand. "Da Seer ask me to bring islands last night. And Mockery send me dream to do this. Me like Snow Tribe and think we be strong friends if we bring your islands." Maosh spreads his arms out wide to take in the landscape. "Today is new day for Snow Tribe to be strong again."

Tacitus
2008-09-04, 08:06 PM
Wolg Teetheater; He Who Would Be General

When he awoke to find a lake sprawled out before him where he expected to find endless deserts he was, to say the least, more than a little surprised. He quickly scrambled out from the enchanted bedroll he had been using and glanced about with eyes that showed no fear but seemed to be picking out tactical details from an otherwise bland environment of browns and hues of the morning light. He quickly picks out the goings-on on the far shore but cannot determine any details from the distance. He growls as he nods, "Even the strongest druids would have trouble doing this overnight. Powerful magic indeed." He looks to the students as he begins packing up his own things, "You heard 'im! Lets get things moving!" After slipping the bedroll into a pack that is quite obviously enchanted, as he shoved the massive roll of cloth into a side pocket, he looks back over the lake. With his form adorned in mithral and a phoenix emblazoned across the breast of his finely wrought plate his many scars and burns are harder to notice but along his hand and neck what fur is visible is flecked with hints of gray fur indicating damage below. With another low growl he glares at the lake, "I hate water. I don't want to have to trudge through mud and swim a lake."

Diarmuid
2008-09-05, 09:12 AM
FingerDeath is the mule, he is infamous for nipping fingers off

Duke of URL
2008-09-05, 09:32 AM
Knaath

I can only imageen earth-huggers vhill naught be pleaced vhith theese development."

Knaath snorts. "If any of them are left." He starts taking in the scene in earnest, regaining his composure as befits his station. "And how many did we lose?" he asks, looking over both the smunderlings and the Snow Tribe.

Darkantra
2008-09-05, 02:55 PM
Draashek

As the students struggled to get the skittish Mule to the edge of the lake Draashek looked over the expanse and frowned. The thought of getting his tabard, emblazoned with the sign of Lhesh Haruuc, muddy made him growl.

"Neither do I, if we are lucky we won't have to. I hope to Khyber and back that those people there are the expedition crew. I've never learned any suitable spells for diving."

I have to find out what did this, I haven't felt such power since the Mournland was created.

"It will be best if we find out what happened, we should approach those humanoids there carefully, I can trade my healing spells for knowledge of the expedition crew and what occurred here," Draashek gives Wolg a tusk filled grin, "Though we could just kill most of them and force the answers out of whoever is left."

Draashek helps Wolg Teetheater to drive the students and the mule down the the waters edge, waiting for his traveling companion to speak before moving them again.

Tacitus
2008-09-05, 03:21 PM
Wolg

A grim grin that skirts the lines between a preference of opening diplomatic relations with an arrow to someone's skull and something more peaceful. With a grunt he shakes his head, "As effective as adding holes to someone's body may be, we wouldn't want to add too many holes to someone that may actually be a part of the expedition. Do you have any parchment and twine to spare?" He slips an arrow from a quiver on his back and grabs his bow, obviously intending to send a message.

Nomad5
2008-09-05, 06:00 PM
Maosh

Maosh stops looking over the changed landscape realizing the two leaders are correct, that it is time to regroup. He glances around to take in the numbers of those that have survived. "Only weak ones gone. They may be on islands." Maosh strides forward to clasp Wallace on the shoulder. "Islands have come. We make new strong bonds for tribe. But, me think first we should worry about smoke." Maosh points toward the rising plume of smoke in the distance. "Only fire burn after this water is from camps."

He turns to Knaath as well. "Make defences or scout?"

Duke of URL
2008-09-05, 08:08 PM
Knaath

"Both, I think. Take one or two with you to check things out, but do not engage if it can be avoided. Everyone else, let's set up a camp and make as good of a defensive situation as we can."

Darkantra
2008-09-06, 11:38 PM
Draashek

"Hmm, it would probably be best to just meet them face to face. If I haven't seen any other signs of fires so they must have been camped somewhere out in there," he waves his hand at the lake, "They've probably noticed us, or our fire from the last night, any other flames would have been put out by that. They may not even notice a note tied to the arrow and think that we're just trying to kill them. No, we should go to them, they must have some wounded with them and no sane creature would turn away a healer. Then we can get some information from their gratitude."

Tacitus
2008-09-07, 12:08 AM
Wolg

He bows and extends his hands out wide, half gesturing to the lake, "Lead on, then." He then replaces the arrow and shoulders his bow despite thoughts that if he fired the arrow it would sure as hell go where he wanted it and they'd notice it. The fact that it was probably at the maximum range of his shots was rather irrelevant to him.

Nomad5
2008-09-09, 01:04 PM
Maosh

Maosh checks over his equipment quickly and then motions at two of the Snowmongers to follow him, knowing that they will be more useful than any of the smunderlings. He waits for Wallace to confirm the orders with his tribe members, then trots off toward the rising smoke.

Slowly he realizes that the landscape is barren and that stealth will not be very successful. At about halfway he can see that the fires of the camp have been stamped down, and some of them appear to be moving out of the camp toward them. Should I scout their numbers or meet them here? Knowing that he was never good at decisions like this, Maosh grunts with frustration. Turning to the two Snowmongers he says, "Ok, they coming. We no hide here. We wait. You wait here with bow. Help us or run back if goes bad. You," pointing at the other Snowmonger, "come up closer with me to meet them." Maosh moves forward about 100 meters from the one he left to cover them, and then sits in the sand and muck to wait for the approaching band.

Darkantra
2008-09-13, 09:40 AM
Draashek

Moving up with Wolg Draashek takes the head of their column, and as the two groups come into view of each other he grunts.

An ogre and a band of gnolls, there was an ogre with the mining expedition...

Draashek leads their group to about eighty feet from the sitting ogre and after telling the students to stand their ground he advances towards the ogre with Wolg.

"On behalf of the Eye-Gouger clan we seek an expedition that passed along this way." Draashek speaks in Giant for the Ogre's benefit, "We were to enter the valley this morning but then all," he waves his hand at the lake, "This happened. I am a healer of a kind, and will trade my skills for information on the band, that is if they are still alive."

Nomad5
2008-09-15, 08:00 PM
Maosh

Maosh watches the two approach without much movement. He listens to the statements of big talking healer and keeps his tongue while he considers what this means. He must mean our mission. So Calach sent us help. He is wise, but does not believe in us... Maosh thinks this over for a minute and is reinserted to the moment by the anxious shifting of the two before him, well, the healer at least. The other appears as a patient warrior. Maosh stands quickly, "<We be da Eye-Gougers! Who send you?>"

Tacitus
2008-09-15, 08:26 PM
Wolg

Not knowing how to speak and being unable to understand the language of larger folk he said nothing. He shows no confusion, he merely waits. The fact that Draashek just told them where they came from would have been amusing to him if he knew what they were saying.

Darkantra
2008-09-17, 07:45 PM
Draashek

The archivist smirks at the ogre's misunderstanding, and standing straight looks the big creature right in the eye's as he continues in the giant tongue.

"Then you must be with the expedition. Calach, the great mage, sent us to reinforce you. His seers predicted a calamity that might destroy your group, and as well that some had already fallen. One of them was a hobgoblin, an artificer named Rekseen, Draashek smirks, "Apparently he was stupid enough to get him self dissolved by a digester. I belong to the same salvage company though, and when Calach learned that Rekseen had died he demanded that the company send someone else, so I am here."

Draashek nods over to Wolg and switches back into common.

"This is Wolg Teetheater, a fierce warrior, he was hired to make sure that no more of us died. Now, who are you, ogre and where's the rest of the group?"

Nomad5
2008-09-18, 12:16 AM
Maosh

Maosh greets the level stare of Wolg with a nod of his head. "Me is Maosh of da Temple of Groemel Draal, ded'cated of Mockery, warrior of da Eye-Gougers." The words have a practiced phonetic sound as they come out. "If Calach send you, I take you to da flind, Knaath. You two come wit' me." Maosh turns and motions them to follow. He also calls to the Snowmongers to flank and follow as a precaution. "We move fast in case they need healer." Maosh then sets a quick pace.

Coming up to the developing camp, Maosh stops at a distance with Draashek and Wolf, waving to Knaath and Wallace.

Duke of URL
2008-09-18, 06:44 AM
Knaath

Since taking charge was the natural thing to do, Knaath has been rallying the Snowmongers and Smunderlings to salvage what they can from the mess and to establish a basic defensive position on the shore.

Seeing Maosh return with company, he stops and calls out, "I assume these are friends?" Despite the light tone of his voice, his flindbar is held ready for trouble.

Nomad5
2008-09-18, 02:43 PM
Maosh

"Dis be healer and warrior sent from Calach. He say dem is to help." Maosh turns to Draashek. "Dis be Knaath, leader of Calach's Eye-Gougers to da mines." Maosh also points out Wallace. "Him be Wallace, tribe leader of da Snow tribe. The islands 'ave come dis day, and we build camp wit' dem."

Benejeseret
2008-09-21, 12:29 PM
((Hi Everyone,

I have returned from an amazing vacation, but unfortunately will not be returning to PbP gaming. The break game me a chance to focus on reorganizing and refocusing my time/life.

I have lots of things I want to take up and shift my time toward, and unfortunately online gaming is one of the things that must be cut to make it all happen.

I really enjoyed my time with you and wish you much enjoyment in future games.

Bene))

((P.S. If any of you want to pick up this game and run it in my place please feel free. This was my longest lasting game as a DM and certainly the most enjoyable to be part of. Sorry to drop this so suddenly.))