PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Arcane Archer

Breaw
2008-04-01, 01:03 AM
Not interested in hearing how sub optimal the class is considered, have a more specific question than that:

In the campaign I am currently playing in the DM has give us 'free' levels every 4 levels (and at first level) in a class of his choosing (we can make requests, but he reserves the right to veto). Anyway, my character is a ranger, with hack levels in sorcerer (fits well with the flavor of the campaign). So far I've taken truestrike, expeditious retreat and featherfall for my spells (and fight mostly with a bow).

If at level 7 I take arcane archer, I will get another level in AA and a hack level of sorcerer at level 8. It sounds like the DM is going to give me 1/2 caster levels with AA levels to make them less suck, but may (slightly) ding the BaB, we'll see.

Now to the question: The other first level spell I'll be learning will be shocking grasp (again, DM is opening up what an arrow can be imbued with), but am unsure of what to go for for my 1 level 2 spell that I will most likely be getting at level 8.

This is going to remain a reasonably low powered game, so I expect this will be the only 2nd level spell I ever know. Unless you have something absolutely perfect in mind, keep to the PHB.

If as an Arcane Archer you only had one 2nd level spell, what would it be?

Obvious choices so far are:

Web
Glitterdust

My first level spell list:

Featherfall
Expeditious Retreat
Truestrike
Shocking grasp

leperkhaun
2008-04-01, 01:09 AM
blur, invisibility, levitate are pretty good.

Also remember that even if you cant know more than one spell you can always get a wand. And because you dont have to enchant your bow alot because of AA you can spend the extra money on those spells.

i would probably focus more on buff type spells and the like, since your spell saves probably wont be that high.

Breaw
2008-04-01, 01:17 AM
blur, invisibility, levitate are pretty good.

Also remember that even if you cant know more than one spell you can always get a wand. And because you dont have to enchant your bow alot because of AA you can spend the extra money on those spells.

i would probably focus more on buff type spells and the like, since your spell saves probably wont be that high.

I've generally stayed away from saves for exactly that reason, but wands are more or less out for a couple reasons:

1) Wands are damned near impossible to get your hands on in this setting

2) Can't cast a spell from a wand onto an arrow

3) Flavor. I'm very much playing the minimalist ranger here (which is why AA appealed to me in the first place

The nice thing about AoE spells is you can get a fair bit of effect out of them even without good spell saves. Won't be able to web the BBEB, but his 10 lacking rushing to his aid may be in trouble (especially if I light the web on fire). Glitterdust wouldn't really be for the blind, but for the anti-invis (which is of particular annoyance in this campaign).

Anyway, not shooting down your suggestions. Just explaining mine.

Thank you, they will be added to my list to ponder over. More input please!

Nebo_
2008-04-01, 01:18 AM
Off the top of my head, if you have Practiced Spellcaster, Combust is pretty good. Heroics and Swift Fly are also nice.

Farmer42
2008-04-01, 02:42 AM
I'd go with cat's grace. It saves you money (you don't need gloves of dex) and frees up an item slot. Blindness/deafness is also nice, as you can cripple casters with it.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-01, 03:01 AM
Levitate? On an archer? You're kidding, right? I'd recommend say, Mirror Image.

Web would be better if it didn't also provide cover to the entangled targets. It does still keep them away from you though.

I can't think of anything bad to say about glitterdust. The targets have to have eyes for it to work! You're . . . gonna wish you took something else . . . when you fight . . . grimlocks!

Um, yeah. Unless your charisma sucks (which it might as a ranger), glitterdust is solid. I'd personally go with Glitterdust, Mirror Image, and either See Invisibility, or Invisibility.

Squash Monster
2008-04-01, 01:20 PM
Web's not good at high levels, as lots of things have Freedom of Movement.

I'd take the glitterdust, since you mentioned problems with invisible enemies.

If archers and flying creatures are uncommon, though, take Levitate. A -5 penalty to hit in exchange for being untouchable by most enemies is very worth it.

CthulhuM
2008-04-01, 03:04 PM
Glitterdust is probably about the best choice to use with your imbued arrow ability at 2nd level. If invisible enemies have been a problem, you should also look into picking up see invisibility as soon as soon as possible, so you can spot the enemies and then light them up for your party.

Chronos
2008-04-01, 03:28 PM
Note that Arcane Archer never specifies that the imbued spells have to actually be arcane. So you can also toss around imbued Entangles from your ranger list (which largely replaces Web).

Web would be better if it didn't also provide cover to the entangled targets. It does still keep them away from you though. That works both ways, though. You can't do anything directly to them, but they can't do anything directly to you, either. You can, however, still summon monsters partway into the Webbed area (note that creatures who enter the area after casting aren't affected), and let them move in the rest of the way, or center some other AoE spell partway into the Web. They, however, will have a hard time getting any spell out of the Webbed area at all to indirectly affect you.

BRC
2008-04-01, 04:12 PM
I would say Ghoul Touch or Daze Monster.

Funkyodor
2008-04-01, 07:22 PM
Maybe Detect Thoughts? To sound a little different, since it is an area spell, you could use Imbue Arrow and launch the cone effect somewhere, then concentrate and spin it around Waaaaaaay out there. If you can figure out somehow to make the arrow silent, then you might be able to figure out whats going on right in the middle of an enemy camp from the max range of your bow, at best. Sounds neat to me, but not as powerful as glitterdust.

holywhippet
2008-04-01, 07:55 PM
Summon swarm is good for dealing with enemy spellcasters or archers at range. Flaming sphere can also be pretty nasty.

Breaw
2008-04-01, 08:09 PM
If archers and flying creatures are uncommon, though, take Levitate. A -5 penalty to hit in exchange for being untouchable by most enemies is very worth it.

Flying = extremely rare

archers = extremely common

The same elven enemy who's casters are turning invisible also have an army of 3rd level fighter/3rd level sorc with truestrike, expeditious retreat, and a combat focused on longbow.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It'll be a while still before this is an option, but something to think about still.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-01, 11:20 PM
What is the point of imbuing glitterdust and entangle? Unless the combat starts at really long range, you aren't getting any advantage. OK, I suppose you get to shoot them and cast a spell, but um . . . meh?