PDA

View Full Version : What spell is this?

Frosty
2008-04-01, 01:43 AM
I remember reading somewhere there is a spell that, as an immediate action, let's you put up a wooden barricade or something which grants you total cover, allowing attacks to miss you. Does anyone know what that spell is?

And also, I know that having concealment/cover makes you immune to AoOs and critical hits and sneak attack. But I can't find what page that rule is on. Can anyone help me locate it in the PHB?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-01, 01:44 AM
Blockade. filler

Solo
2008-04-01, 01:44 AM
Wings of Cover (DrM) does something similar to that.

Frosty
2008-04-01, 01:48 AM
Where can I find this Blockade spell? It's not in the SpC.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-04-01, 01:59 AM
Where can I find this Blockade spell? It's not in the SpC.

Complete Scoundrel. Heroes of Horror has Battlefield Fortification that might also help.

Combat modifiers:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm

The_Snark
2008-04-01, 02:09 AM
Note that it's a swift action, not an immediate action, and the blockade has to be placed in an empty square.

The description of sneak attack in the rogue entry (page 50) states that you can't sneak attack a creature with concealment or whose vitals are out of reach, which means that cover may preclude sneak attacks. Then again, the head is usually exposed, and that's a pretty vital part.

Frosty
2008-04-01, 03:00 AM
What about AoOs and crits? Are they affected by cover/concealment?

Douglas
2008-04-01, 10:51 AM
Total concealment denies AoOs. Crits are affected only in the sense that they have to pass miss chance just like any other attack.

Cover short of total cover simply provides an AC and reflex save bonus and has no other effect.

Wings of Cover from Races of the Dragon grants you total cover vs a single attack as an immediate action by putting up a dome of force around you. It's sorcerer only, and if you happen to be dragonblooded or a dragon you can protect a few extra people at the same time if they're adjacent to you.

nargbop
2008-04-02, 06:56 PM
Coverage? Coverage? Oh, there's so much more you can do with Blockade. There's trip the pressure plate trap. There's put something heavy on top of the barren cliff to tie a rope to climb down with. There's put it in the rafters of a cathedral, then balance it delicately so a single thrown knife brings it crashing down on your enemies. Heck, craft an item that continuously casts Grease and use it as a means of travel.
Coverage is nice, but I intend to have fun with my spells. :D

SilentNight
2008-04-02, 06:59 PM
There's also Earthen Shield in the Dragonlance setting.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-02, 09:24 PM
Coverage? Coverage? Oh, there's so much more you can do with Blockade. There's trip the pressure plate trap. There's put something heavy on top of the barren cliff to tie a rope to climb down with. There's put it in the rafters of a cathedral, then balance it delicately so a single thrown knife brings it crashing down on your enemies. Heck, craft an item that continuously casts Grease and use it as a means of travel.
Coverage is nice, but I intend to have fun with my spells. :D

Except that the spell has a duration of three rounds. It's not an instantaneous Conjuration, and as such, you aren't going to be able to do any of those things with it.