PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew group 1

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-01, 08:51 AM
Now at last you begin your adventure, or at least the journey to where you hope you will find adventure. Having very little spending money, and very much road ahead of you, have not made the trek pleasant. With each passing day you feel less and less like a hero, and more like a ball of filth. Travelers gaze upon your ragtag group with suspicion, and Innkeeps always seem to find the dirtiest corner of the common loft. The heavens also seem to frown upon you. During your short journey you have managed to see snow, be covered in mud, drenched in hot rain, and baked beneath an even hotter sun. Yet, you finally arrive at last at the great city of Magna Urba.

You pass through the outskirts, which consist of small farmsteads and scattered villages, to arrive at the main gate of the walled city. Once passing beneath what summarily the most intimidating and imposing battlements you have ever laid eyes upon, you are assaulted by a swirling cacophony of sound and color.

The party has arrived at the main market district of Magna Urba. In a space enclosed by a quarter mile wide semi-circle are more carts, vendors, and shops than you have seen in your entire life. Sigil was diverse, in so much as you could find many types of people, but this is diversity of a different flavor. In Sigil everyone was part of a whole, and lived in the same small community. The market place displays a great clashing and bustle of strangers. Each individual seems to exist in their own world, with their own unique style.

You can’t help but get pressed into the crowd and be drawn in by the many attractions. All of the vendors seem quite willing and able to assail against every one of your senses. Had you a bit more gold on hand, you might have found yourself parting with it very quickly.

From what you can tell from you vantage point at the edge of the crowd, the center of the ring is completely inundated with the same chaos . Somehow, probably due to the vigilance of the very competent looking guards, there is a relatively clear path surrounding the central swirl. Carts carrying various goods can be seen passing along this path, which is lined along the wall with more established places of business.

Where do you go now, adventurers?

Snowfall
2008-04-01, 10:18 AM
Laryth Sylvanus

Laryth looks around at the bustling city, and then down to the grime on his arms and clothes. Despite his best attempts at streams along their journey, and despite the soap and brush he always hauled around with him, he hadn't manage to keep very clean. He had tried to keep just his head clean, but the gleaming white of his face against the dirt everywhere else on his body had made Laryth finally give in to a uniform level of grime.

"Well my friends," Laryth says with a wide smile, "Perhaps we need to find the Duke. But first I think a bath is in order, or least a bucket of water and some soap. We must look our best for our new patron, no?"

Before waiting for his companions' replies, Laryth turns to ask around if an affordable inn or bath house was nearby.

Sampi
2008-04-01, 01:09 PM
Andor Havaral

Andor has seen some city life in Sigil, but nothing like the bustle of Magna Urba. Despite an attempt of seeming worldly, he is clearly out of his element here. He keeps his belongings close, and a wary eye trained on his surroundings. Once or twice when someone bumps into him his right hand twitches towards the tied hilt of his sword, but he stops himself before anyone notices.

Turning to reply when spoken to, Andor finds himself talking to Laryth's back. "Yes, a bath sounds fine before meeting nobility. Can you find us a decent place to get cleaned?" Andor settles in behind Laryth, following the cleric's lead.

obliged_salmon
2008-04-01, 02:08 PM
Fence

Fence's eyes go wide at the sights, smells, and glittery things lining the streets. He wishes he had enough gold to buy the whole market square to bring back to his gypsy camp, and sighs as he calculates about how much gold he'd actually need.

He suppresses a chuckle at Laryth's concern, and replies wryly, "Right, and on the way, perhaps we should stop for tea, yes? He follows after the others with a grin plastered to his face.

Solophoenix
2008-04-01, 04:25 PM
Solo

Solo is awed at the sheer concentration of people. For him, people have always meant trouble, and he decides to try and keep as low of a profile as possible.

"A bath sounds wise, being clean will help us to not stand out as much..."

With that, he resigns himself to following the rest of the party.

obliged_salmon
2008-04-01, 05:12 PM
Fence

I don't know, friend. From the look of these folks, I'd say a little dirt is fairly standard. It's arms and armor that tell us apart.

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-01, 08:02 PM
The composition of the crowd actually contains quite a few armed individuals. Aside from the rather menacing guards decked out in plate, you see the odd adventurer or two. Some of the more established merchants also employ their own garishly dressed private security.

As for hygeine, you are standing in a dusty marketplace. The weather has been a touch dry in this part of the country, suitable for the season, but does little to clear the air. Everyone around you, except for those obviously exerting magical energy, is coated in a fine layer of dun colored earth. Between the swirling crowds, and the large carts constantly wheeling around, you are surprised you can see across the circle.

In short, the only distinguishing feature of the small group is the doe-eyed look of wonder that has descended upon your faces.

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-02, 12:29 PM
The small group wanders a bit on the outskirts of the market, searching for a place to rest and bathe before calling upon royalty. They find an inn on the outer edge of the circle close to the outskirts of town. It seems a reasonable establishment, obviously catering to travelers of all walks of life. The sign above the door proclaims this establishment to be 'The Wasted Waif', complete with bawdy depiction of some manner of fae creature.

Upon entering, a quick sweep of the room reveals a melting pot of races. If anywhere the group shall fit in, it would be here. You catch snippets of conversation in Dwarven, Elven, and even Orc. The innkeep greets you heartily, and asks what you will have today, offering food, a room, or a nice bath.

Snowfall
2008-04-02, 12:50 PM
Laryth

"Well, sir Innkeeper, a bath would be lovely" Laryth begins with a smile, "as we have travelled long but must answer a summons by the Duke and I do not think he is used to seeing us so fresh off the road." He lets out a light-hearted laugh and then continues, "As for the room, we do not know yet what task the Duke has for us, so it might be premature if he sends us right off again."

"But food..." Laryth's stomach grumbles suddenly and he turns to the others, "Perhaps a hot meal too?" Before walking through the doors, Laryth had squeezed his money pouch, reminded that there was still some coin in there but that the Duke's payment has already dwindled substantially.

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-02, 01:35 PM
Guests of the Duke you say! Well, come around to the back. We have a full bath chamber, excellent accomadations.

As the man speaks he leads you around the common area and down a short corridor. Around a bend is a stone walled bath chamber. There are several bathing pools and a small sauna. An attendant stands at the ready in an alcove by the door.

Enjoy, I will have a meal ready when you are done.

With that the man darts out of the room and disappears around the corner. The attendant looks expectantly at the group, but does not speak.

Sampi
2008-04-03, 06:05 AM
Andor

Andor walks into a corner and removes his pack, setting it and the odd greatsword leaning against the wall. He removes his coat and mail shirt, and places them on top of the pack. He then sits cross-legged beside his belongings and takes out a whetstone and rag, and starts sharpening and cleaning his sword. When this is done, he applies a powder to the blade and resheathes it. Then he casually wipes off the grime from his mail, checking for rust but apparently finding none.

All this done, he takes off the rest of his clothes, folds them neatly on top of the backpack and climbs into one of the pools to wash himself.

obliged_salmon
2008-04-03, 06:37 AM
Fence

Fence, mostly for the sake of novelty, undresses and jumps into a bath that doesn't look deep enough to drown him. After about a minute though, he clambers back out, now clean everywhere except his face and hair, and slips back into his still-grimy clothes. The overall effect of the bath is insubstantial.

Solophoenix
2008-04-03, 08:16 AM
Solo

Solo walks over to the attendant and speaks to him/her

"I don't suppose there is anywhere to quickly dry my clothes if I were to wash them?"

Snowfall
2008-04-03, 08:46 AM
Laryth

Laryth nods in agreement with Solo and adds "Our summons came so quickly that we had to travel without extras." Then he smiles at the attendant and hands him a silver piece, "Also, do you think, fine fellow, that you could find my friends and I some bread and cheese to snack on, while we wait for our things to dry?" Laryth nods his head as if the attendant already agreed and then turns away towards the baths.

Walking over to a corner, Laryth carefully places his pack on the floor and then pulls up a stool along side. Setting his weapons against the wall, he carefully removes his armor and clothes until he only has his underbreeches on. Seeing a bucket in the corner, he fills it with water and brings it back to his things. He sits down on the stool. From his pack he pulls out a brush and a chunk of soap, and after some more rummaging around, a mirror.

Looking critically at himself in the mirror, Laryth sighs, but then places the mirror alongside his pack as he begins to use the water, soap, and brush to clean his armor and clothes. The cleaning is an intricate process that involves a fair amount of sighs and exclamations, but eventually most of the grime has been brushed away from his clothes and the metal polished. He hangs the clothes on a hook on the wall to dry and places his armor on the stool. Taking the soap and the mirror, he walks over to a tub and climbs in. He sets to work immediately, paying particular attention to ears, nose, face, arms, legs, shoulders... and a number of minutes later he climbs out of the tub, back to examining his clothes again.

"Hmm, I knew I should have brought my cleric's vestments," he says, dripping in his underbreeches. Turning to his companions he exclaims, "Well I feel infinitely better already, though chances are that our cleanliness won't last long in all the dust and bustle of this city... still, it will be good to go to the Duke with a clean heart, no?"

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-03, 10:44 AM
The attendant opens a closet to reveal a drying rack consisting of several hangers and an unknown source of hot air. Upon being given the silver he dashes off to the main room, and returns some time later with a small platter of wine, cheese, and bread. Something about his manner seems a bit nervous...

Sampi
2008-04-03, 10:55 AM
Andor Havaral

Andor come sout of the sauna, his skin slightly reddened by the heat, and walks straight to the cold water pool, and plunges in. Coming up gasping, he lifts himself up onto the stone floor, looking around. Seeing the clothes-drying room, he takes his coat and washes it in a bucket before hanging it to dry. He then dresses in breeches and sits down on a bench, this time starting to clean a curved heavy hacking blade. Seeing the platter of food, he turns to Laryth.

"May I have a bite? It's been a while since we ate."

Andor completely ignores the attendat's discomfort, jotting it down to townman nervousness at seeing either weapons or exposed skin.

obliged_salmon
2008-04-03, 11:24 AM
Fence

Before Laryth can respond, Fence grabs a hunk of bread and replies, he knows we're good for it, and waves cheerfully in Laryth's direction.

Fence picks up on the attendant's nervousness, and (being slightly paranoid) at some point when nobody's looking, he slinks off into some dark corner of the room.

[roll=hide]1d20+12
oops, I guess I'll roll it in the OOC.

Solophoenix
2008-04-03, 11:47 AM
Solo

Solo removes his outer clothes and washes them in a bucket, before hanging them in the drying cupboard and plunging into the nearest pool, where he lies floating on his back.

Snowfall
2008-04-03, 08:41 PM
Sense Motive role to decide Laryth's action...

[roll0]

Laryth

Laryth notices the attendant's nervousness, but doesn't think anything of it. He laughs at his companion's request, "Of course, the food's for all of us." He goes to hang his clothes in the drying room, returning to pick up his sword. Unsheathing it briefly he looks at its edge, watching his reflection in the blade. Sheathing it again, he pulls up another stool and sits down, taking some wine and some cheese from the plate to nibble on.

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-03, 09:05 PM
Laryth notices that the attendant is staring a bit intently at the group, and shuffles nervously toward the door but does not leave.

Sampi
2008-04-04, 04:33 AM
Andor

"Thank you, Laryth."

Andor settles in his seat and munches on a piece of bread, occasionally nibbling cheese. He does not touch the wine, though. I guess we should be heading out to meet the duke now, he must be expecting us soon.

"So, shall we go see the duke as soon as our clothes are dry?"

Snowfall
2008-04-04, 06:50 AM
Laryth cannot help but notice the attendant's agitation, but he's not sure if it's because he wants a bigger tip or something bad is about to happen.

Laryth stands up and walks over to the far wall so that if he needed to, he could could see out the door. At the moment though he turns to talk to the attendant, "So my friend, what is your name? Perhaps you can tell us more about this fine city of yours, and what it must be like to work at an Inn such as this. To be completely honest, we have never been here before, only having received a summons from the Duke with little knowledge of him or his intent for us. Your inn seems welcoming though, and your master a good man."

[roll0]

Edit: ouch, that's an arrogance roll if I ever saw one

Solophoenix
2008-04-04, 10:40 AM
Solo

After a quick wash in the pool he was floating in, Solo joins the others and begins eating some cheese.

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-04, 01:57 PM
The attendant stammers an apology and rushes out the door. You here the sound of shouting, followed by the tromp of many booted feet.

Snowfall
2008-04-04, 02:19 PM
Laryth

"By the Protector's left foot!" exclaims Laryth. Thinking quickly he calls out a prayer to Corellon, summoning a growling, glowing dog which he sends out in front of the door to slow down the on-comers.

He then steps back over to his things to pick up his shield. "Well no armor, but at least I smell good!" Laryth exclaims sarcastically.

Summon Monster I, last only 2 rounds, but should give a little more time to get ready. The dog was ordered to block the doorway, going completely defensive.

Solophoenix
2008-04-04, 02:40 PM
Solo

Solo stands up at the sounds of impending combat and moves so that he is against the wall, around 20ft from the door.

Not the first time I've had to fight in my underwear...probably not the last

Sampi
2008-04-04, 02:44 PM
Andor

"What is this treachery? We have committed no crime!"

Andor springs to action and grabs his sword and bow, setting them behind a bench he kicks over for cover. He then strings the bow and kneels behind the improvised cover, facing the corridor with a readied arrow and his sword ready to be taken up rapidly.

Assuming I have time to do all this - priority is get sword - get bow and arrows - kick over bench - take cover - string bow - ready action to shoot at an enemy incoming from the door

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-04, 03:13 PM
OOC: I'll wait for everyone then start the combat round, unless Fence continues to hide off in the corner.

obliged_salmon
2008-04-04, 03:20 PM
Fence

Fence remains hidden, but brings his crossbow to bear. He doesn't like the look of this at all....

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-04, 04:13 PM
The boots get closer, and suddenly the hallway outside the door is filled with the same armored guards that were present in the market square. You can see them take up position on either side of the door, but do not enter. After a moment, a man in a well polished breastplate steps up to the door, ignoring the hound. He addresses the party in a refined and gentile clip

If you surrender now, it will be much easier for all of us. And please, do dispel the mongrel.

Solophoenix
2008-04-04, 04:47 PM
Solo

"Explain yourself now, or we're not going quietly" Solo yells at the man.

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-04, 05:47 PM
The man sighs and crosses his arms, briefly looking down as the dog flickers out of existence.

Please, be reasonable. I have the entire weight of the city guard behind me. If the constable wished you to be harmed, I could have you harmed.

He then draws a fine looking longsword from his hip.

Now, will you come quietly?

Snowfall
2008-04-04, 07:50 PM
Laryth

Lowering his sword, Laryth replies, almost cordially, "Well sir, courtesy dictates an introduction. I am Laryth Sylvanus, Cleric of Corellon Larethian, and these are my friends. I agree with you, you certainly seem to have the best of us. Perhaps you could give us your name, as well as the additional courtesy of waiting a few moments while we get dressed. I believe our clothes have finished drying and we would be better suited for journeying."

obliged_salmon
2008-04-04, 11:27 PM
Fence

Fence remains quiet and hidden, but puts his crossbow away and quickly hides his dagger as he sees the probably of combat dwindling, and the probably of survival increasing.

Sampi
2008-04-05, 02:16 AM
Andor

Andor undraws the bow, but remains wary, ready to draw and loose in an instant.

"So what does the city guard want with us? We've committed no crime to my knowledge."

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-05, 11:25 AM
The man steps into the room, sheathes his sword and draws forth a iron bound leather scroll. He begins reading off in an official manner.

For the crime of treason, these following individuals are to be arrested and punished to the full extent of the law: Andor Havaral, Solo Phoenix, Eranti Pendoch, Laryth Sylvanus. Signed by, in service of his Lordship Duke Leo, Constable Dongle.

He replaces the scroll in the case at his side and once again addresses the party directly.

I simply must carry out the will of the constable, resisting will only strengthen the claims of treason. The Duke's courts are fair, and rely upon higher guidance for truth. If you feel you are wrongfully accused, come peacefully, and this shall soon be resolved. In all honesty, nothing would please me more, I would hate to see honest men put to death.

Sampi
2008-04-06, 04:56 AM
Andor

Andor stays silent, but glances at Laryth, as if asking something. He does not lower his guard.
We seem to be outmatched.

Snowfall
2008-04-06, 07:08 AM
Laryth

"Well now, that is very strange, especially since it was a messenger from the Duke himself who brought us here, with the Duke's request for us to help his Excellency with a small task." Laryth pauses to describe the messenger and give his name, "So perhaps you can understand our confusion around why the Duke's constable would send an order to arrest us in the middle of a bath, just as we getting ready to go see his Excellency!"

"Your proclamation states no crime for our supposed treason, but I do know it is a crime for us not to answer the summons of the Duke, for us not to present ourselves before his Excellency. Would you ask us to commit such a crime because of a claim that we committed another, especially, as we know is likely, if that claim is shown to be utterly false?"

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-06, 10:08 AM
The man's countenance suddenly harshens, and he once again draws his blade. He points the tip in the direction of Layrth's breast. He speaks softly, but his voice carries great scorn and malice.

At the end of this day, it matters not where my blade has been. Whether in its' sheathe, or a man's breast, it will end the day in the same place. I will sit by my fire, and polish it as my wife tells me of all the mischief my son has caused. The constable has deemed you to be traitors. I have been ordered to escort you to him. I will bandy words with you no further. Do I make my self clear?

He remains steady, but his posture shows the steely grace of a trained swordsman. You begin to wonder if he even would need to call upon his guards to aid him.

Sampi
2008-04-07, 01:37 AM
Andor

With the guard's hostile action of drawing the blade, Andor has once again drawn his bow.

"So the constable has an order of arrest for treason for us the minute we walk into town while the duke invites us in. Sounds like we're involved ourselves unwittingly in human politics. I find it hard to believe that we'll be granted a fair trial."

obliged_salmon
2008-04-07, 07:08 AM
Fence

Fence cries out before the guard can react, Wait a minute! and steps out of the shadows with his arms in the air. Even if we're being captured under someone else's orders, I just can't see how a fight with the city guard is our best option. I say we go where this nice fellow leads and get a better perspective. He smiles ingratiatingly at the guardsman.

Sampi
2008-04-07, 07:16 AM
Andor

Andor lowers his bow and replaces the arrow in its quiver.

"Very well, then - if you think it best. I will now get dressed to see your constable in a more presentable form.

He takes the pile of clothes and starts dressing.

Solophoenix
2008-04-07, 09:38 AM
Solo

"It's not as if we can't just escape later, if need be" Solo remarks as he too goes to the drying rack and begins dressing.

Snowfall
2008-04-07, 10:36 AM
Laryth

Laryth nods at the man's words, "Yes Sir swordsman, you have made who you are and what you will do clear enough. I understand now that an introduction or an explanation would be irrelevant, this is not your conversation to be had."

Laryth turns away from the guards and begins to don his clothes. After pulling on his armor and shouldering his bow and pack, he holds out his sword and quiver to the guards, "I assume you will be needing these. Please take care of them, they have been blessed by the Church of the Seldarine."

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-08, 10:31 PM
The man relaxes once again and gestures to the guards. They take your weapons and wait for you to finish dressing. After you are done, manacles and hoods are brought forth. The man presents the hoods and speaks once again.

For your own safety, I assure you. It would be better to bear an indignaty anonymously, than to suffer the recriminations of the townsfolk.

Sampi
2008-04-08, 11:40 PM
Andor

"The hoods I can understand but manacles for our safety? Well, I don't see that we have much of a choice in the matter."

Andor accepts and dons the hood, then presents his hands to the guard with the manacles.

Solophoenix
2008-04-09, 06:49 AM
Solo

"I too understand the importance of anonymity, but I wear the manacles under protest"

Solo dons a hood and submits to the manacles.

Snowfall
2008-04-09, 08:08 PM
Laryth goes along with his companions.

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-18, 05:39 PM
After being chained and hooded, you are lead through the city. You are pulled along rather roughly, but the many strong hands that guide you do not allow you to fall, and as such you make great haste through the city streets.

The hoods are loose enough to allow for easy breathing, but are weighted at the bottom, so you can not wriggle out a peephole. However, you can tell that you are first lead down several cobbled roads. At one point you are certain there is a body of water in the vicinity, but after some minutes you return to the inner city.

A well-greased portculis can be heard rising in front and falling behind you. What sounds like large double doors also allow your passage, and you are lead indoors. Once inside you are lead down a maze of corridors and up a set of spiral stairs. Finally, the hoods and manacles are removed and you find yourselves in a small office.

A man sits at a desk in front of you, with a wave the breastplated man and the two guards are dismissed. The man at the desk is of middling age, with slightly graying hair and a rather noble aire about him. He sits shuffling papers and furiously inking at parchments. The room is bare except for two large bookshelves and a small cot in the corner.

Without looking up from his papers, the man produced a document and places it on the front of his desk, and motions for the party to come forward.

Names and occupations here if you will.

Sampi
2008-04-19, 10:01 AM
Andor

Andor picks up the document and reads what it says. While approaching the desk, he addresses the man:
"Are you the constable Dongle who has accused us of treason? If so, I would ask what the reason for this accusation is."

Snowfall
2008-04-19, 11:24 AM
Laryth

Laryth steps forward with Andor and reads over his shoulder.

"I am Laryth Sylvanus, Priest of the Seldarine, in the city of Sigil. My companions and I are more than a little confused as to why we were brought to you this way, as we came to this city by summons of the Duke."

obliged_salmon
2008-04-19, 11:58 AM
Fence

Fence looks the room over curiously for a few moments, then goes and scribbles the word "fence" on the piece of paper. He ponders a moment at what his "occupation" might be, and finally decides to write "fortune teller" on the paper. He then settles back into a corner of the room with a smirk on his face.

Solophoenix
2008-04-19, 07:36 PM
Solo

Solo fills out the document with his name, and thinking quickly, lists "Travelling Librarian" as his occupation.

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-20, 09:43 PM
The man at the desk closes a ledger, places a quill neatly in am inkpot, and looks up at the group with a bright and strangly disarming expression. You can't help but be slighlty lulled by his soft voice...

Yes, yes, I am Constable Dongel. You must be the party I sent for. Now I must apologize for the inconvenience. This venture, shall we say, must be a bit ...ahhhh... off the books. The Duke requested the utmost secrecy, and this was my solution. Hire some mercenary-types, and keep them completely anonymous. The only official records shall state that you were tried and summarily executed for high treason. Our actual relationship shall be much healthier and lucrative. I have a task I might have you perform, with full compensation of course.

With this he produced from a drawer four heavily clinking bags and a leather scrollcase, which are placed on the desk.

Compensation on the order of 25 platinum pieces for each individual upon completion of your task. Now, this case contains your specific orders. You are to leave out the western sortie gate, the guards will direct you. Do not under any circumstances open the orders until you are out of sight of the city. Would you like to discuss anything further before you are off?

Sampi: You read the document, and from the gist of the legalese, it states that the following individuals were executed later this evening. Funny, you don't feel dead...

Sampi
2008-04-21, 02:38 AM
Andor

"I see. Well, I guess I can sign my own execution certificate. I expect our weapons will be returned to us?"

Andor signs his name and marks "journeyman" as an occupation.

Snowfall
2008-04-21, 07:50 AM
Laryth

Laryth stares at the constable for a moment, intensely, but then he shrugs, a smile creeping onto his face. "Well, I suppose I am looking for a bit of a fresh start. Since we'll be leaving the city, do you have any supplies for us? And of course, as my friend states, our weapons?"

Solophoenix
2008-04-22, 02:36 AM
Solo

Solo takes a look at the constable

I can't say I like the way you operate, but 25 platinum is hard to ignore, I'll accept the offer.

Sampi
2008-04-22, 05:02 AM
Andor

"How do you plan to make a payment upon completion of the mission, if we should be dead and cannot make an appearance in Magna Urba? Also, there is a matter of an unpaid bath bill at The Wasted Waif"

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-24, 09:24 PM
Speak with the quartermaster in the courtyard, he has your weapons and can provide any small supplies you might need. You also need not be concerned with your status as criminals. The city has no doubt by now forgotten you ever existed, afterall I do control the guard within these walls. Though, I wouldn't return to the Waif, were I you.

He adds the final comment in an offhand manner, trailing the last words to a near whisper. He continues to look at the group expectantly, but also seems anxious to return to his mountain of papers.

Snowfall
2008-04-25, 08:16 AM
Laryth

"Well, my friends, looks like we are now ex-outlaws. What notoriety and we even got a free bath out of it!" Laryth's tone is joking but his face says he is not too thrilled about the circumstances. He bows slightly to the constable and then heads out the door to speak with the quartermaster.

obliged_salmon
2008-04-25, 08:56 AM
Fence

Fence keeps pace with the others, retrieving his confiscated gear. "Well, I suppose getting paid is a good reason to go through a bit of hassle, eh friends?"

Solophoenix
2008-04-27, 05:40 AM
Solo

Solo follows the others, having no weapons to collect.

Sampi
2008-04-27, 07:55 AM
Andor

Andor fetches his weapons, checking the blade of his sword and the curve of his bow.

"I guess there's no more reason to stay then."

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-04-30, 12:11 PM
After seeing the quartermaster, guards lead the group to a sortie gate off the west end of the keep. A short walk down a tunnel leaves you in a rocky outcropping some yards from the city wall. The door is slammed behind you revealing it to be cunningly camoflauged to match the surrounding rock.

As per the constable's orders you walk up the road a bit until the city is obscured by the hilly landscape. You decide to open the scroll.

Three days march to the northwest is a fort ruin. A preliminary expedition was sent to determine whether this strategic position could be rebuilt. This expedition included a civilian survey team, who were to report on this posibillity. No report has been received.

You are to proceed to the fort, acertain as to why there has been no contact with the expedition, and return with this information. If possible you are to assist the preliminary expedition in any way you can, but your primary objective is reconnaissance.

You have one week to complete your task. Returning after this time without good reason will result in your execution records being made public.

After reading the final words the text begins to glow. Fence, who had been holding the paper feels it grow hot to the touch, and casts it aside. Shortly before hitting the ground, it bursts into flame. There is no trace of the scroll after the smoke clears.

The road leads roughly northwest before you. You have your orders, as well as a deadline. However, it is now midafternoon, and a rather pleasant spring day. The way ahead promises more rolling farmland and well traveled woodland paths, as well as a rich reward.

Snowfall
2008-04-30, 06:43 PM
Laryth

"Well, I don't understand what all the secrecy is about, checking out a fort and returning seems to be simple enough of a task... so perhaps there's something there the constable would rather not have seen. Or local politics are against rebuilding a fort. Either way, I'd rather not have the guards of Urba Magna chasing after us."

Laryth shoulders his pack and restrings his bow. He looks thoughtfully at the road ahead, "Three days there, three days back, doesn't give us much leeway in meeting our deadline." He shrugs and sets off down the road.

Sampi
2008-05-01, 09:10 AM
Andor

"Well, it is strange. But I'm up for a walk, I hope you are too. There's no point in thinking about human politics and their reasons, at least no sense in wasting time standing still while we could be moving. Let's head out, shall we?"

The tall elf starts walking off towards the notheast, whistling a walking song slightly out of tune.

Solophoenix
2008-05-01, 03:56 PM
Solo

"I guess we'll just have to trust that the secrecy is for our own good."

Solo walks with the others down the road

obliged_salmon
2008-05-01, 07:22 PM
Fence

I've never SEEN exploding paper like that! I wonder if I can convince him to give me some when we get back... Fence looks wistfully back at the concealed entrance to the city, as the group begins their three day march.

Sampi
2008-05-02, 08:07 AM
Andor

Andor stops his whistling and addresses the others:

"It's too bad they didn't tell us who the expeditionary force consisted of. It would be easier to reconnoitre if we knew what kind of people went there before us. I can't help but wonder why they haven't reported or returned. What do you think? Monsters, bandits or something else?"

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-05-07, 10:35 AM
The party travels along the road without incident. The land you travel is indeed dotted with small farmsteads and a few scattered hamlets. You pass a few of the locals, who do not meet you with hostility, but seem content to let you go on your way. A few miles from the city, the hills flatten out a bit, and you can see farther down the road.

There is a large forest, which you are heading directly toward. By your estimation, the fort must lie deep within this wood. Several hours later you cross into the boundaries.

At this point the trees are sparse but healthy. The road is still well maintained, showing signs of use in commerce. You continue onward as there is still much daylight left in the sky. The canopy has not yet grown thick enough to obscure the sun.

Up ahead is an old man sitting on a stump. He is in the midst of stamping out a small fire and gathering up his meager possessions. His countenance is well grizzled by age, but still carries a paternal warmth. When he sees you, he greets the group.

Well, good day. Travelers, eh? Always loved the open road myself. But, you can't go down this path. Storm took out a few big trees, and the woodsman haven't gotten around to clearing them out. It's why I don't pay taxes. Use that old deer path over there.

He chuckles at his own joke and gestures to a smaller track that veers a bit westerly of the main trail. You can't see very far down either path.

Snowfall
2008-05-07, 11:41 AM
Laryth

Laryth stops, enjoying the opportunity to pause and chat a while. He considers the man's words carefully, but smiles at the same time.

"Well good sir, I myself can barely remember who to pay taxes too sometimes, much less which ones are worth paying! Are you from these parts? Perhaps you can share some stories about yonder wood?"

[roll0]

That may be the first time I've ever typed the word yonder... now twice!

Sampi
2008-05-07, 12:49 PM
Andor

Andor looks around and along both paths, then wonders aloud:

"Why would a few fallen trees hinder four men on foot?"

obliged_salmon
2008-05-07, 03:33 PM
Fence

Fence replies to Andor ominously, Maybe they're trees of DOOM! But then he shrugs.

Solophoenix
2008-05-07, 04:46 PM
Solo

We have little knowledge of these parts, it might be best to stick to the main road. I'm sure with all of our skills we can bypass the trees. In fact, we might just give those woodsmen a head start for when they arrive.

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-05-14, 08:40 PM
The old man takes Andor's suggestion to heart and begins prattling on about his experience with the woods.

Well, I have to say that this road is just one of many I've walked down. I can say I've walked down it more than once. Just another place between here and there I suppose. But these woods, they're nothing special. Just some trees, some more trees, the occasional hunter, and a bear or two. I did see a goblin one time. It was a ways up north I suppose. I swear he was drunker than a dwarf on... whatever the dwarven holy day is. Him and a bunch of his buddies. All drunk, just yelling at each other in that screechy little language of theres. I suppose you don't believe me, but I swear I saw them.

He continues on about the trees and the bears and whatnot, taking a bit of a hard left at tavern wenches and his life in general. If you don't stop him you are sure he will go on for hours.

Laryth:
The man seems sincere, if a bit senile.

Sampi
2008-05-15, 01:36 AM
Andor

"Aye, goblins can be either dangerous or just a nuisance. But tell me, good sir, do you remember a group of soldiers and civilians going this way some time ago? Perhaps you even remember how many soldiers there were?"

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-05-17, 12:38 AM
I wasn't exactly here a while back. I was farther up the road, or at an inn, all depends on how far back you mean. I'm more of the travelling type, not the squat-in-the-woods type.

Sampi
2008-05-22, 06:49 AM
Andor

I see. I'm just guessing and asking - but friends, tell me which way should we go? The forest path which this man who does not live here asks us to take or the main road with some fallen trees?

The elf looks at Laryth with the question in his eye.

Snowfall
2008-05-24, 03:48 PM
Laryth

"Let's take the deer path... someone put this young traveler in our path and I am a fan of fate. Look how far it's brought us so far!"

Laryth invites the man to travel with them, but heads towards the path either way.

A little more trust than he normally would give, but to move the story along...

obliged_salmon
2008-05-25, 10:17 AM
Fence

Fence shrugs and wanders along after his companions.

Alebeard_Thunderax
2008-05-25, 05:03 PM
I'm going to need marching order and disposition.

Sampi
2008-05-26, 12:20 AM
Andor

Andor moves off with Laryth. Somewhat suspicious of this strange event, he takes his bow and strings it, keeping a careful eye on his surroundings.

Marching order suggestion: Rogue in front moving carefully, the rest about 30 feet back.

Solophoenix
2008-05-26, 05:41 AM
Solo

Feeling a little uneasy about the path they were about to take, but not saying anything, Solo falls into step with the rest of the party.

I second Sampi's suggestion

obliged_salmon
2008-05-26, 10:16 AM
Fence

Fence casts a quizzical glance at Andor's bow, then shrugs. Fear an ambush, then? He pulls out his awkwardly large rapier, for safe keeping, and sets off ahead of his companions.

Eranti will lead the procession by about 30 feet, then.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sampi
2008-05-26, 02:23 PM
Andor

"Aye, fallen trees blocking the path from men on foot sound suspicious to me. better be on our guard."

Rolls later, since I apparently cannot access campaign-blog.

Solophoenix
2008-05-27, 05:55 AM
((OOC: Sampi, campaign blog has been down for over a week now, I fear the worst. Thinking maybe their server could have been in China, damaged by the quake.))

Snowfall
2008-05-27, 08:17 AM
Laryth

Laryth falls to the back of the group, his bow ready.

[roll0]
[roll1]