PDA

View Full Version : Diminishing Returns (IC)

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-01, 10:28 AM
Hi guys, and welcome to the Diminishing Returns In Character Thread. The OOC thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76439).

Everybody:

You live on Motavia, the first planet in the Algo solar system. The climate is arid all year round, and grows more so every year. The population is plagued by natural disasters and frequent monster attacks, which also grow worse and worse. It has been this way ever since the cataclysm that destroyed Parma, the second planet, 1000 years ago. It is theorized that whatever force caused the destruction of Parma also adversly affected the other planets. The third planet, Dezolis, has become an icy wasteland, but that doesn't matter much to you. Travel between worlds was once possible, but no more. The technology was all lost in the cataclysm.

Morin, Thurstan:
You are the line between civilization and the wasteland: The Hunters. When monster attacks threaten humanity, you are there to kill the uglies... for a price. While things have gotten worse for most of Motavia, things are getting better for you. There are so many requests for Hunters that the Guild can hardly keep up. The fact that fewer Hunters are returning, however, is a disturbing trend.

The two of you have answered an ad for monster hunters at the University of Piata. From the description, it doesn't sound like anything you can't handle, but it is unusual. You've never heard of a monster outbreak in an urban area before; usually they are limited to the wilderness and the small villages that dot it. Still, the Principal is offering great pay, 4000 mesetta, more than enough to justify the long journey to the school.

You have just arrived at the University, where men and women of all ages study science, magic, philosophy, and art. You are outside of the adminstrators' office where you are going to meet Principal Reingold and receive your briefing.

Gen, Osheakael:
You are the line between civilization and the wasteland: The Scholars. Your shining example is what prevents the world from fading into barbarism. Men and women come from all over Motavia to come to the university and learn the wisdom of the ancients. Much is researched and discovered here.

Your friend and colleague, Professor Holtz, has recently dissapeared. There has been no sign of him or his research team in a fortnight. Perhaps more disturbing is the Adminstration's refusal to discuss Holtz's dissapearance.

You do know that he was excited to lead a research team to Birth Valley, the first of its kind in University history. Birth Valley, the holy sight said to be the source of all life on Motavia, has been carefully guarded by its cultural protectors for as long as anyone can remember, but Holtz, after years of red tape, finally managed to secure the permissions to explore and dig there.

He was never seen or heard from again, but there is a rumor circulating that some of his team returned in the night carrying strange packages...

Soon thereafter, the attacks began. Strange monsters attacking any who ventured into the University's basement. The principal closed it off to all personel, but the monsters occasionally venture out into the school and ambush students. Again, the principal has refused to discuss the matter at all, saying that he lodged an ad with the Hunters' Guild and it was all going to be resolved shortly.

The two of you are in Principal Reingold's office now, pressing him for information about Holtz, but he is not forthcoming.

IC thread begins now!

Lochar
2008-04-01, 10:42 AM
Morin

Morin sits back, looking out over the administrator's offices. Places of learning were good to have, he assumed. Hunters protected the people from the monsters of the land, but the civilization they protected wouldn't be much of anything if they devolved back to the same level as the monsters.

Still...

Morin looked to his companion Hunter, watching him for a moment before touching the pendant he wore.

Monsters in a place of learning. Were they getting smarter, hiding until they could attack a place of higher value? Was the gap between civilization and monster lessening? Were his own abilities proof that there was less gap than he would like?

Snorting, he shook his head. "I hate being idle. Given too much time to think, I think of too many things."

GimliFett
2008-04-01, 10:56 AM
Osheakael

"Principal Reingold! Please! Nothing good can come of covering this up! Besides which, Holtz is my friend! And a good man. What of those that have returned? Where are they?" Clearly, the professor is in an agitated state. He rarely speaks above a calm clear monotone when lecturing, but outside of the classroom Osheakael can be much more lively. As he is demonstrating for Gen and Principal Reingold at this very moment.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-01, 12:53 PM
Principal Reingold looks worried, and angry.

Look, Professor, I've told you before that we do not know where Holtz and his team went. The investigation is indefinately on pause, until things calm down around the University.

Now, I have some very important people waiting outside that aim to do just that, and I expect you to hold your tongue about this, unless you want to lose your funding. He stares the two down for a moment, then says, Please, show our guests in, and looks at Sheakael and Gen as if he expects them to leave.

An assistant departs, and directs the two Hunters in to the office.

senrath
2008-04-01, 01:08 PM
Thurstan

"I must agree with you on that point, my friend. But we cannot begin until we are briefed on the situation. And we cannot be briefed until this, what was his name again, ah, yes, Reingold, is finished with whatever he is currently doing."

Thurstan sighed as he ran his fingers through his hair, straightening it. He was uncomfortable as well, though not entirely for the same reason. After essentially being away from civilization for so long, he didn't feel at all at ease around so many people. Waiting for a moment longer, he felt the need to prove Morin's point.

"But how could monsters arrive at a place such as this without bringing a panic with them? Those we observed on our way here acted as there was nothing wrong. And that one girl was honestly surprised to see hunters here."

GimliFett
2008-04-01, 01:15 PM
Osheakael

Abashed, and at a loss for how to convince the other man of the need to share what he knows, Osheakael leaves without saying anything. Not an even which happens often.

A skinny man of average height and medium years exits the door to Principal Reingold's office followed by a younger man. The older of the two is obviously distressed over something as his somewhat pale skin is flushed. When his blue-gray eyes rest on the pair awaiting Reingold, they flash in recognition. He turns back to Reingold's door and sticks his head inside.

"I wish to join them, Reingold. You know I can manage on my own. I've done it before," he says softly. Calmly. Rationally. So only the principal could hear. The flush is gone from his face, as if it had never been present. "I will be in my office." he adds, then turns on his heel and nods to the waiting men. "Principal Reingold will see you now, gentlemen." With that he leaves the office.

Lochar
2008-04-01, 02:13 PM
Morin

Nodding to the man leaving, Morin looks to Thurstan. "A good number prefer to not think of it, to the point of suppressing it. I guess we might as well see what is happening now. The sooner we know, the sooner we can clear the place out. Monsters and civilization shouldn't mix."

With that, Morin steps into Reingold's office to find out what is expected of them.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-01, 02:20 PM
The Principal looks glad to see the Hunters. He welcomes them and indicates that they should close the door behind them. Once they have,

Thank goodness you men are here. I hope your journey treated you well. Did you have any trouble finding us?

Lochar
2008-04-01, 02:25 PM
Morin

"Trouble? Not of any particular kind, no. We had fairly specific instructions on getting to you, and a brief overview of the problem. You've got monster trouble here at the University?"

Morin looks over the desk to the Principal, a question in his eyes. Not bothering to soften the way it comes out, he asks. "How in the name of all that is holy did that happen? This isn't the fringe, and had it been a wave of monsters, there would have been many more attacks, outside here as well."

senrath
2008-04-01, 02:25 PM
Thurstan

"Agreed."

With that, Thurstan followed Morin into the office. He hoped against hope that the situation was only a minor one, nothing too big. But with a price tag of 4000 mesetta, the likelihood of that was slim to none.

Once inside the door, he paused and looked around, taking in the office, and observing the man he presumed was the one who had called for hunters.

Closing the door as indicated, he turned back to the man and spoke.

"We had no trouble finding you, nor did we have any trouble on our journey, which was a welcome change." Pausing for a moment, he then continued. "But please, let us save the small talk for a time that it can be spared. What do you need us to do?"

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-01, 02:39 PM
The principal nods. Good. I see you're men of action. It's a simple matter, the monsters seem to have made the storage rooms in the basement their base of opperations. All I need is for you to go down and clear them out.

"How in the name of all that is holy did that happen? This isn't the fringe, and had it been a wave of monsters, there would have been many more attacks, outside here as well."

How should I know? He seems a little afraid, and a little angry. Monsters are your area of expertise, not mine. Just go down there and get the job done, OK? I'm paying you very well for your trouble.

Lochar
2008-04-01, 02:43 PM
Morin

Morin sighs. "Sorry, but this is not a normal situation, by any definition of the word. We'll clear them out, but if they're getting in somehow, it's possible they can get back in. Are there any external access points to the storage rooms?"

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-01, 03:05 PM
He seems to relax some.

No... none as far as I know. He stops to consider for a moment, then Well, I suppose it would do no harm... There's a professor by the name of Osheakael. He and his student Gen may want to accompany you. They are fairly competent with their specific magics, but if they insist on going down there, please, make sure that they stay safe. The University's reputation must be maintained.

Lochar
2008-04-01, 03:12 PM
Morin

Looking over at his fellow Hunter, Morin questions him. "Thurstan, think we can handle a couple of magicians down there? We keep 'em back, let them work from behind?"

senrath
2008-04-01, 03:14 PM
Thurstan

Thurstan thought for a moment, then nodded. "I believe that would be agreeable. Magical aid is a welcome surprise. And I believe we can ensure their protection, should they wish to accompany us." He then turned back to Reingold. "Now, if you would be so kind as to give us directions to where the monsters are?"

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-01, 03:18 PM
He does so.

Since this conversation didn't last very long, I'll have the four of you meet up in the hallway outside the Adminstration's Office, OK?

GimliFett
2008-04-01, 03:26 PM
Osheakael

"Osheakael. The Laconic, my students call me," the older man says with a thin grin. He offers his hand to the Hunters and has a surprisingly strong grip for such a thin man.

His mood has much brightened since being included in the mission.

Lochar
2008-04-01, 03:29 PM
Morin

"Morin Renault. I see things, I kill them. There's a reason I'm a Hunter." He smiles oddly. "I even see things most people can't. Do you know the layout of the storage rooms?"

senrath
2008-04-01, 03:34 PM
Thurstan

"Thurstan Skinner, at your service." Thurstan smiled broadly, his eyes lighting up. The prospect of facing whatever was waiting for them seemed a lot lighter now that they had help. "I didn't wish to ask the principal about this, since he seemed to be a bit stressed, but how long ago did the monsters first appear?"

GimliFett
2008-04-01, 04:00 PM
Osheakael

Osheakael nods to Morin. "I have been down there on several occasions. I happen to have a good mind for such things, as well."

He turns to Thurstan, a frown creasing his otherwise friendly face. "Well, we have had no contact with Professor Holtz in a fortnight. Shortly thereafter, the attacks began. I would say just over a week?" he says with a slight upturn of the last word indicating his uncertainty in his assessment, but that was his best estimate.

Osheakael leans inward, conspiratorially and whispers. "There are rumors that Holtz's team returned in the night with mysterious packages. Then the troubles began."

Straightening up, he smiles once more at those assembled. "Please join me at my office. I can gather some equipment and we can discuss things in a more private setting until we are ready to embark upon this endeavor. Did Principal Reingold say to wait for any particular time? Say the evening once things should have calmed down from the daily routine?"

Lochar
2008-04-01, 04:04 PM
Morin

Shaking his head, Morin answers. "No, only that the University's reputation not be stained by losing your or your student. If you all have survived this long, a few more hours until the area is clear won't cause too many problems."

GimliFett
2008-04-01, 04:14 PM
Osheakael

"Yes, that does sound like Principal Reingold!" he chuckles.

Osheakael smiles and nods at Morin's comment about waiting a bit. "Excellent! I will make us some tea!" He leads the other men to his office, and makes sure they are seated comfortably. As he prepares tea, he looks over his shoulder and smiles broadly. "So tell me about yourselves? Hunter's Guildmembers? How long? What have you encountered in your travels?"

Lochar
2008-04-01, 04:23 PM
Morin

At the man's rapid fire questions, Morin smirks. Looking to become a Hunter yourself? If you wish to know, since I was old enough to join. As for what I have seen..."

Morin touches the amulet at his throat.

"Oddities that just don't stop when they're supposed to. Although, there are tricks to that as well." Blue-green energy gathers on Morin's fingertips, before flickering out once more. "Some battles are hard won, and others are only won by luck."

Enlong
2008-04-01, 07:17 PM
Gen

Gen, meanwhile, has stood or sat next to his teacher for most of the conversation, listening in rather then offering much to the conversation itself. When Oakshael begins making the tea, he digs around in his belongings, pulls out a sufficiently thick tome and begins studying the pages carefully. He looks up from his book for a moment and finally speaks, addressing the two hunters.
"Ah, yes. I forgot to mention, but my name is Gen."
He carefully turns a page in his book before speaking again, this time without looking up.
"Tell me, what sort of magics do you suppose we will need when we go to the lower levels?"

Having just pulled out my spellbook, Gen will spend the next hour preparing his spells over tea. Right now, he's asking for a bit of a suggestion as to what kind of magic he should prepare.

Also, yay! We've got an active group.

senrath
2008-04-01, 07:36 PM
Thurstan

"I have been a hunter for only a few short months, only recently having finished my training." He thought for a moment, then turned to Gen, shrugging slightly. "As for what spells to prepare, I haven't the foggiest. All we have been told are that there are monsters that need to be slain in the storage room. We're going in essentially blind."

Thurstan shook his head, growing slightly anxious once more. "I wish we had more information. Going into battle without knowing anything about your enemy is folly, but that's the all we can do right now."

Lochar
2008-04-01, 07:41 PM
Morin

"Area control spells. I've worked with mages before, and spells that keep monsters from grouping up on us are probably our best bet. I can shrug off minor wounds, but we'll easily fall to numbers. Especially if there are a large number of these storage rooms."

Enlong
2008-04-01, 08:05 PM
Gen

"hm...", gen remarks, as he flips through his book, reviewing the magic he has access to. "Well, I don't yet have many spells to 'control' a portion of the battlefield, but I do have a few spells that could wreak sufficient havoc, depending on the area. Hmm... Cobra's Breath could work, but Hail of Stone would ensure that I don't hit my allies. Oh, but Steam Jet could also work..."
Breaking off into muttering, Gen returns to his book, poring over the spells within.

Preparing spells now:
1 Light, 1 Prestidigitation, 1 Ray of Frost, 1 Flare
1 Scales of The Lizard, 1 Cobra's Breath, 1 Jet of Steam

senrath
2008-04-02, 07:00 AM
Thurstan

"There is something else that is bothering me. Do you have any idea of how these monsters came to be here? We asked Reingold, but he wouldn't answer. In fact, he grew rather defensive." As he spoke, Thurstan kept going over everything that had been discussed since they had arrived. After a moment, he spoke again. "You said the attacks started just after this...Professor Holz went missing? Depending on what he was doing, they might be related."

I intentionally misspelled Holtz' name. I don't want Thurstan to have a perfect memory :P

GimliFett
2008-04-02, 03:54 PM
Osheakael

The professor flushes briefly as Gen introduces himself to the Hunters. "Sorry about that, Gen. I forget my manners," he says with a smile. "Which reminds me of a strange coincidence I noticed. I am the only member of our company whose first name does not end with an 'n'. I wonder what that portends?" he muses as he stares into his teacup.

With a slight start, Osheakael returns his gaze to his guests. "Forgive me. I am a Truenamer. There is power in every word, every syllable, every letter. It is simply a matter of discovering how best to unlock it. Now, knowing Holtz," he emphasizes the T, "as well as I do, I can assure you he would have nothing to do with causing such trouble. Rumors say some members of his team returned, however, with packages. Where these folk are, I cannot say, nor confirm that they returned or carried anything with them if they did do so." He takes another sip of tea and continues. "Professor Holtz had finally managed to gain access to Birth Valley, after several years of starts and stutters. He lead an archeological expedition to the holy site in order to plumb its depths for greater knowledge and understanding. Are you familiar with Birth Valley?" Osheakael asks the Hunters.

@GJ:It is what it is... [roll0]
For later...

Lochar
2008-04-02, 04:38 PM
Morin

"Only that I thought they wouldn't allow anyone to explore in there. Though apparently even that's wrong now. Judging from the name though, the birth of someone important?" Morin shrugs.

Unless there were monsters involved, Morin doubted it would effect their mission anyways.

K: Arcana: [roll0], or do I know any basic, standard knowledge facts about it?

senrath
2008-04-02, 05:16 PM
Thurstan

Feeling slightly sheepish for messing up the name of the missing professor, Thurstan thought for a moment. The name rings a bell, although I'm not exactly sure why. Let me see if I can remember anything, or if my mind is just playing tricks on me." He then fell silent, seeing if he could recall anything about this 'Birth Valley'.

K: Religion [roll0]
Do I know anything about the place?

Enlong
2008-04-02, 08:04 PM
Gen

"The birth of everything," Gen punctuates his sentence by closing his book as he responds to Morin's question.

He keeps his head lowered slightly, and moves his finger on the cover of his book, as though tracing a passage written on the cover. "Birth Valley is a holy land, said to be the place from which all life in Motavia came. Professor Holtz disappeared after leading a research team there. The very first such team, actually, because such a holy site is naturally well guarded by the cultures who live around the valley." His eyes gloss over for a moment as he muses to himself. "Just imagine the mysteries that might be solved if the stories are true."

After a moment, he drops out of his dreamlike stare and opens his book again.
"Of course," he continues, "We haven't learned anything yet, as Professor Holtz disappeared on the journey, and we have only heard rumors that some of his party have been seen since."

Seeming slightly self-conscious after speaking for so long, believing that perhaps he should have left that explanation to his teacher, Gen settles back into silence, turning a page in his book and taking a sip of his tea.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-02, 08:34 PM
@everyone:
What Gen said amounts to basically everything known about Birth Valley.

GimliFett
2008-04-03, 02:35 PM
Osheakael

Smiling and nodding at his pupil's display of his knowledge, Osheakael sets his teacup down and stands. He walks over to the corner and takes several books and sheets of paper off of a large chest and sets them on his now vacant chair. "I suppose I should get my equipment out and readied for our jaunt."

Lochar
2008-04-03, 02:54 PM
Morin

Giving his odd grin again, Morin smiles. "Unless you think the monsters will just lie down and allow us to slit what passes for their throats, that would be advisable, Professor."

GimliFett
2008-04-03, 03:28 PM
Osheakael

Nodding in agreement, the professor lifts the lid of the chest and pulls out a suit of well-crafted leather adorned with numerous ceramic studs and lays it over the back of the chair. Next he removes a large fiberglass shield that is heavily reinforced and leans it up against the chair. The shield is followed by an exquisite sickle, a light crossbow with a bolt case, a sheathed dagger, and a travel pack. He opens the pack and checks the contents, nodding to himself as he remembers each item. "I think I will only bring some sheets of paper, should the need arise to record something. I will leave these here," Osheakael says as he withdraws two books of fairly good size and sets them on his desk.

"If you gentlemen will excuse me for a few minutes, I will get myself prepared."

senrath
2008-04-03, 03:30 PM
Thurstan

"You never know, Morin. Some might be sleeping, although I doubt it. Anyway, do you think I should get my crowbar from Whisperwind's pack? I'm never sure if it would be of any use." As he spoke, Thurstan looked contemplative. He always carried an excess of items with him, but he was never sure of which of his many items to bring.

Lochar
2008-04-03, 03:33 PM
Morin

"That's a good question." Morin looks to the Professor and his student. "Do the storage rooms have locked doors, do you have keys to them if so, or if not, do you think we have permission to remove the doors any way needed?"

GimliFett
2008-04-07, 09:13 AM
Osheakael

The professor shakes his head. "Nothing should be locked. Now, if you gentlemen will excuse me for a few minutes, I will prepare myself and we can begin our mission."

Lochar
2008-04-07, 09:17 AM
Morin

Morin nods to the Professor as he leaves. And then looks to Thurstan. "Bring it anyways. Shouldn't be locked isn't the same as there aren't doors that can lock. Or be barred."

GimliFett
2008-04-07, 10:36 AM
Osheakael

Five minutes later, Osheakael exits his office and faces the others. With a smile he nods to each in turn. "Ready when you are," he says with a smile. He carries the shield in his left hand and the crossbow in his right, though at the moment it remains unloaded. "I will load when we get to the basement. I would not want any accidents to occur within the halls."

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-07, 10:39 AM
. .CUT TO:

INT. UNIVERSITY HALLWAY, DAY

There is a young man sitting on a chair outside of a heavy door, the way down to the basement. He has been tasked by the principal to stand in front of the door and not let anybody downstairs. He looks bored, and a little nervous. When you tell him who you are and why you are here, he gladly steps asside and unlocks the door for you.

The way down is dark. Some parts of the University have electric lights, the Adminstration Office and the Medical School for instance, but not the storage rooms. The University has been built on the foundations of an old castle and the walls are cold, damp stone. The stairway is well constructed, but the wood has grown old and mildewy, each step creaking noisily as you descend.

GimliFett
2008-04-07, 10:58 AM
Osheakael

Noticing the darkness, Osheakael withdraws a leather-capped torch from his pack. He lifts the cap off and lets it hang from now glowing torch. "Would anyone care to carry this? With shield and crossbow, my hands are a bit full." he asks with a sheepish grin.

Lochar
2008-04-07, 12:11 PM
Morin

Unbeknown to Morin, his eyes shift slightly, the blue green energies he summons appearing in his eyes as he looks down into the stairway. Where he at first saw shadow, now he sees. "Heh, shadows aren't as dark as I thought." He looks back to see the Professor's torch. "I'll take point, if you all can't see."

See the Unseen. Grants See invisible and Darkvision 60' for 24 hours.

senrath
2008-04-07, 12:59 PM
Thurstan

"You should take point. I'll follow." Thurstan followed closely as he spoke, his sword drawn and his shield held. He was a bit uncomfortable without being able to see where he was going, so not going first was fine with him. After a moment's hesitation, he channeled the power needed and shifted his position into that of his Iron Guard's Glare stance.

Before we came I put my crowbar in my backpack. Also, for ease of reference, Iron Guard's Glare gives all enemies I threaten -4 to their attack rolls against my allies (doesn't apply to me).

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-07, 01:19 PM
Morin leads the way, his fey blood allowing him to see far beyond the glow of the torch. As the four descend, the torch illuminates the basement revealing a stone floor, boxes of old books, shelves, stowed furniture and junk. There is noise from the far end of the room.

Morin:
You can clearly see two monsters lurking in the corner, partially obscured by a crate. They seem to be a cross between a spider and a slug, oozing slime from their carapaces. Deadly-looking mandables work slowly as they eye the group. They are almost man-sized

Everybody else:
You detect movement from the shaddows in the corner. Something is alive down here, but you can't quite tell what.

GimliFett
2008-04-07, 01:25 PM
Osheakael

With no takers, Osheakael slides the everburning torch into his belt freeing his hands for his shield and crossbow. He follows the others down, letting his student follow last.

When he notices the movement ahead, the professor calls out. "Who is there? Show yourself or harm may befall you!" He raises his crossbow should it be necessary to fire.

Lochar
2008-04-07, 01:39 PM
Morin

"They're what we were hired for, Professor."

Morin holds his hands up, blue green energies crackling. "I suggest we hurry this along." The energy seems to bend and mold for a moment as Morin weaves his hands, before breaking loose and jumping the distance in moments.

Are we playing you do all rolls, Juris?

If so, ranged touch attack at +4, damage is 1d6. crit on 20.

If not...
Touch Attack: [roll0]
CC: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Init: [roll3]

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-07, 02:31 PM
The blast sails through the air and strikes the creature's cover, sending a shower of sparks and splinters flying. If they didn't notice you before, they do now.

Lochar: Forum roller is fine unless I ask otherwise. I did roll your spot checks for you before, for instance.

Initiative please!

GimliFett
2008-04-07, 02:40 PM
OsheakaelHP: 10/10; AC 17, t 12, ff 15

"Oh. Right. Sorry," the normally verbose man replies with another sheepish grin and a flushed face.

Initiative: [roll0]
Can I see well enough to shoot at any targets?

senrath
2008-04-07, 02:44 PM
Thurstan

Paying close attention to where Morin directed his attacks, Thurstan began to draw out his power. "Any idea what they are?"

[roll0] Initiative
Rolling for powers:
1: Leading the Attack (WR)
2: Crusader's Strike (DS)
3: Vanguard Strike (DS)
4: Stone Bones (SD)
5: Charging Minotaur (SD)
6: Reroll
[roll1]
Rolled extras just in case of duplicates. If three different ones still aren't chosen, I'll roll in the OOC.

Lochar
2008-04-07, 02:50 PM
Morin

Keeping an eye on the creatures, Morin replies to Thurstan. "Someone's nightmare. Two bugs that ooze, with ant mandibles. And they stand almost as tall as us."

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-07, 02:57 PM
Osheakal:
You can shoot, but they have partial cover and partial concealment from you.

GimliFett
2008-04-07, 03:16 PM

Osheakael starts to take aim at the figures, but realizes he can't see the creatures well enough to ensure a decent shot at success. He pauses, waiting for the creatures to break cover and present themselves in better light. Literally.

Any idea what they are? Knowledge (arcana): See OOC.
Unless I can move to a spot that will negate their cover, I'll ready action for them leaving cover, but I'll go ahead and make my attack rolls for that opportunity.
Attack: [roll0]
Crit?: [roll1]

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-08, 01:18 PM
Attencion!
I need to know your intended actions. I have Osheakael's, and I can assume Morin will be firing off another blast, but what is Thurston doing? Also, if I don't hear from Gen before the rest of you, he'll be taking full defense this round as he "mentally prepares himself."

senrath
2008-04-08, 04:19 PM
Thurstan

Thurstan carefully moved in front of Morin, his shield raised and his sword at the ready. The moment one of those monsters moved close enough, he was going to strike at it.

Sorry, my internet doesn't like GITP today. Anyway, in case you can't tell, I'm readying an action to strike the monsters once they come close enough.

Lochar
2008-04-09, 11:23 AM
Morin

Shifting the energies to one hand, Morin draws his mace as he flings energy at the creatures again.

Normally, I'd be using Mortalbane, but as I'm playing a character who doesn't know his whole powers, he doesn't yet know he can do so. :P We need some stress to bring it out!

Ranged touch attack: [roll0]
CC on 20: [roll1]

GimliFett
2008-04-09, 11:24 AM

As realization dawns, Osheakael lets the others know what he has discovered. "It has occurred to me that, as slime-like creatures, they should have slippery and possibly corrosive membranes around their skin. Be careful in melee. It seems we shall be categorizing new creatures during our mission! How exciting!" The professor beams as he sights down his crossbow.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-09, 12:17 PM
Morin's blast strikes true, penetrating the darkness- and its target. There is a shriek as the monster's guts are painted across the back wall.

The second creature darts out from behind the crate, but not at the party. Seeing his shot, Oshaekal takes it, striking the monster between its exoskelletal plating and drawing what passes for blood, a slimy mass. Not bad for a professor. The creature shrieks in pain and continues on its path, away and through an open archway, out of sight.

senrath
2008-04-09, 01:12 PM
Thurstan

Thurstan, still wary, begins to approach the wreckage that was the crates. He figured that the monster that Morin struck was dead, but he wanted to make sure. If it wasn't dead, he was going to strike at it. Else, he was going to get a better look at its remains.

GimliFett
2008-04-09, 01:33 PM

"Nicely done, gents!" Osheakael calls. "Try to leave as much intact as possible for further study!"

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-09, 02:02 PM
The monster behind the crates is indeed dead. Slime drips from its lifeless corpse. A trail of ooze, from the escaped creature, leads into the darkness beyond.

Lochar
2008-04-09, 02:30 PM
Morin

Morin walks over to the dead body, looking deeper into the gloom, trying to spot the creature that escaped. "Gonna suck if they've got enough brains to recognize an attack instead of the hurt one just being weak and eating it."

Spot:[roll0]

60' darkvision, then he'll need a lightsource like any other.

senrath
2008-04-09, 02:42 PM
Thurstan

Sheathing his sword, Thurstan reaches into his belt pouch to pull out his own everburning torch, holding it aloft, trying to spy where the thing had gone. "I'm seriously hoping we can either catch up with it first, that it dies from blood loss shortly, or gets killed by the other monsters. Do you have any idea what that thing was?"

Spot: [roll0] Torch provides good illumination out to 20' and shadowy out to 40'.

GimliFett
2008-04-09, 02:48 PM

Shaking his head, Osheakael looks at the Hunter. "I have never seen its like before. It seems to be an amalgam of a few creatures, but primarily a slime-type. I would like to catalog the creatures we come across, though I understand the need to catch up to the one that fled," he says as he loads another bolt into the crossbow. "I can do the cataloguing at a later time, when we're not as stressed, hm? We can all be a part of discovering and naming these new species!" The professor seems genuinely excited at the prospect.

Lochar
2008-04-09, 02:54 PM
Morin

Stepping forward a few feet, Morin motions to the others to follow him. "Classification: Dead. That's all we need to know. Come on, I'd rather not get swarmed, so let's continue."

Morin begins to follow the slime trail if the other follow him, keeping an eye out.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-09, 03:16 PM
The trail of slime leads into the darkness. There are ample hiding places in the next room, where signs of a struggle are evident. Book cases have been toppled, a large model of the Algo System is smashed on the floor. The room is oddly shaped, because it was the foundation of a long demolished castle and the ceiling no longer matches up with the floor.

You follow the trail of the wounded creature carefully looking for any sign of more of them- and find it. The monster in the darkness could be the larger cousin of the one you killed in the first chamber- larger, stronger with powerful claws and a tail like a scorpion's. Some of the smaller creatures lurk next to it. Of the four of you, only Morin can clearly see them- they are outside of torch range- but you can hear them and make out their shadowy forms.

A stream of green fluid issues forth from its mouth, but sails wide of its intended target, Thurston.

Let's keep going with the same initiative, starting with Morin. There are five visible monsters, the large one and four of the smaller. It is impossible to run or charge through the wreckage, but you could full move to engage them in mele next round if you wish. Also, except for Morin, you can barely make them out.

Lochar
2008-04-09, 03:19 PM
Morin

"Take out the adult first if we can!"

Saying so, Morin pulls from within and brings forth the blue-green energies once more, sending it flying as he steps to the side, allowing others to pass him if need be.

Ranged Touch: [roll0]
CC on 20: [roll1]

Enlong
2008-04-09, 03:34 PM
HP 11, AC 13

This is my intended action, because I'm not gonna be here when my turn comes around. I'll be back late on Sunday, and either Senrath or GuardJuris can take over my character 'till then

Delighted that he prepared spells to take on multiple creatures at once, Gen begins tugging at the strings of his arcane power. He moves into position to aim at as many creatures as possible, and then points a finger as he calls out a sentance in an obscure language. Suddenly, hot steam erupts from his finger, scalding everything in its tight path.

(for lack of knowledge as to how the enemies are arranged) Moving into position to line up as many creatures as I can while staying in position behind the front line, and casting Jet of Steam. 2d4 damage to all in a 30' line. Reflex Save for half damage.

[roll0]

However, if I can't line up more than 1, or if I have to move out from behind the front lines, then I instead pull out my crossbow and cast Scales of the Lizard, giving myself a +2 Natural Armor bonus to AC for 1 minute (10 rounds)

senrath
2008-04-09, 05:18 PM
Thurstan

Slipping his torch into a belt loop, Thurstan redrew his sword and began to carefully make his way into melee range of the largest beast, making sure to maintain his Iron Guard's Glare.

Maneuvers available:
Leading the Attack
White Raven's Strike
Crusader's Strike
Plus [roll0]
1: Stone Bones (SD)
or
2: Charging Minotaur (SD)

GimliFett
2008-04-10, 03:11 PM

Seeming a little disappointed at the Hunter's words, Osheakael follows the others silently. As the battle is rejoined, yet on a larger scale, Osheakael moves forward so he can better see his target and calls upon the True Speech. "Know pain, gurzeewackycz!" The professor twists a minor word of nurturing into a word to cause pain to the largest creature. Unfortunately, Osheakael misspoke a couple of syllables, throwing his truenaming off to an unsatisfactory result. Perturbed, he mutters to himself. "Unacceptable! Perhaps this excursion will give me the practice I need to perform better!"

GJ: If I need to move to be within 30', please add!
Truespeak (DC= 15+(2*CR of target)): [roll0]
Duration 2 rounds- Damage, Rd 1: [roll1]; I must concentrate (standard action) to deal damage next (second) round. I'll make that roll then, if it's possible/necessary.

EDIT: I'll just have to try again next round. Dadgum Law of Resistance! Hopefully I'll roll significantly higher.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-10, 03:40 PM
Thinking quickly, the young wu-jen manuevers into position and unleashes a steam blast at the creatures. The larger of the two hit takes minor damage from the blast, but the monster behind it seems seriously injured.

Almost simultaneously, Morin shoots another energy blast, striking the monster head on. Once the danger of collateral damange subsides, Thurstan crosses the distance between them, threatining the beats with his sword, ready to deliver death at a moment's notice.

The professors word of power rings hollow, though. The mysterious beasts are difficult to grasp. He is confident, however, that his next attempt will yield better results.

Surviving the initial barage, the monsters swarm around Thurston, surrounding him from almost all directions. Even through the confusion, he manages to dodge, deflect and endure the enslought. Only one mosnter's bite finds home [5 damage (4 piercing, 1 acid) to Thurston].

A second large beast, as terrible as the first, charges out of the darkness into the heart of the other three men, swiping at Morin and barely missing, acidic slime dripping from its maw.

Four smalls and a big on Thurston, one big on Morin. Oshaekal is between Thurston and the other two. Everybody can now clearly see all 6 monsters.

Does the Law of Resistance apply when you fail? I think not.

GimliFett
2008-04-10, 03:54 PM

No longer feeling as rushed as he had previously, Osheakael witnesses the attack on Thurstan first-hand. Quickly changing his plan, he invokes a simple word of health on the Hunter's behalf. "Shamballa!" But once more stumbles with the word.

Truespeak (DC= 19 (I assume: 15+(2*Thurstan's HD)): [roll0]
Minor Word of Nurturing: If successful, Thurstan gets Fast Healing 1 for 5 rounds.
I had wondered if the Law of Resistance applied to failures. Thanks. :smallbiggrin: We'll have to test that reversed word next round.
EDIT: Ugh. Just ugh. A 2! I am reminded of a Pet Shop Boys song...

senrath
2008-04-10, 03:57 PM
Thurstan

HP:21/21 Delayed Damage Pool:5/5 AC: 17 (9 Touch, 17 Flatfooted)

Crying out in rage, Thurstan struck forth, swinging at the largest of his foes. Knowing that staying alive and protecting his allies was more important than outright slaying his foes, he held back slightly, channeling some of his power into his own life force, forcing the rest into an attempt to prevent damage to himself.

Still maintaining Iron Guard's Glare.
Attack roll: [roll0]
CC on 19-20: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] Slashing
Stone Bones Maneuver: If I hit, gain DR 5/Adamantine until my next turn.
Stone Power Feat: Reducing my BaB to 0 (from 2) I gain 4 temporary HP until my next turn.
Furious Counterstrike: 5 points in my DD pool means +1 on the roll and on damage (included).
After my action my HP drops by the 5 points in my pool (goes to 20).

Lochar
2008-04-10, 04:14 PM
Morin

Stepping back quickly at the beast's charge, Morin scowls at it. "Another, eh?"

Blue green energies lick around his palm. "I don't think we're having as much fun now."

Ranged Touch attack: [roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-11, 09:45 AM
Morin unleashes another blast, this one connecting with the monster bearing down on him. It hits home, but the creature continues forward unabated.

Seeing the aproaching beast, Gen draws his crossbow and mutters a few words of protection, armoring himself with thick scales. He levels his weapon at the beast, ready to shoot it as soon as he gets a clear shot.

Seeing his ally take a blow, Osheakael attempts to speak a word of vigor, but again fails. Perhaps his confidence has been shaken?

Still surrounded by monsters, Thurston unleashes a mighty blow, forceful but wild. It glances off the creature's armor, and the hunter looks dejected. Still, he doesn't drop his gaurd and manages to fend off all five of the vicious beasts.

The sixth monster, however, connects with a hit to Morin, brutally rending into his flesh and pumping corrosive acid into the wound [16 damage, (10 piercing, 6 acid) to Morin].

Ouch, a critical hit. I hope your DR is enough to keep you up!

GimliFett
2008-04-11, 04:49 PM

Seeing the Hunter fall, Osheakael rushes to the younger man's side, heedless of the beast's presence. He withdraws a potion vial and pours it down Morin's throat. "At least I can accomplish this with a high degree of certainty!" He mutters self-deprecatingly.

Use potion of lesser vigor on Morin. He gets fast healing 1 for 11 rounds.

senrath
2008-04-12, 04:04 PM
Thurstan
HP:20/21 Delayed Damage Pool:0/5 AC: 17 (9 Touch, 17 Flatfooted)

Crying out in rage as he witnessed his ally fall, Thurstan quickly switched his stance from Iron Guard's Glare to Martial Spirit, in an attempt to heal his friend. Cursing the distance between them, he swung with all his might at the largest of his foes once more.

If Morin is within 30' and I hit, Martial Spirit Stance will heal him for 2 points, else it will heal me for 2.

Enlong
2008-04-15, 08:22 PM
<Must pare down their numbers>
Gen acts fast, pulling a bolt from his case and loading it into his crossbow. He aims at the smaller creature, the one that was more heavily damaged by his steam blast, and fires a bolt at it, in an attempt to finish it off.

Loading, aiming, and firing my crossbow at the more damaged of the two creatures to be hit by my Jet of Steam

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-17, 08:50 AM
The Carnage Continues

Gen fires off his crossbow, but it sails wide of the target, clamouring harmlessly away into the darkness. Meanwhile, the professor runs to the hunter's aid, adminstering a potion, but leaving him open for attack. The creature's sharp mandable cuts into Osheakael, and deadly acid follows. [8 Damage to Osheakael, 2 piercing, 6 acid]

Across the room, the other hunter is locked in a deadly struggle. His powerful attack cleaves his enemy apart, spilling its ooze-like guts all over the floor. [Heal Morin 2]

In response, the smaller creatures attack. Thurston defends himself from all but one, which bites into his leg. [4 damage, 3 piercing, 1 acid]

The largest of the monsters looms over Morin and Osheakael, ready to finish its work.

Lochar
2008-04-17, 08:58 AM
Morin

Between the potion coursing through his veins and Thurstan's ability to channel healing from damage, Morin manages to wake, seeing the monstrosity again. Fire ignites in his veins, and he draws upon the power greedily, willing to watch the creature die writhing.

"Burn in death and beyond, monster." Morin spits out, blue green energies taking on a darker hue as he draws strength from his brush with death, and deals it to the creature.

After all this, I just know I'm rolling a 1.
Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0]
Mortalbane Damage: [roll2]

senrath
2008-04-17, 10:37 AM
Thurstan
HP:20/21 Delayed Damage Pool:4/5 AC: 17 (9 Touch, 17 Flatfooted)
"Nice shot, Morin!" He called over the sound of battle. Grinning after downing the monstrosity he was facing, Thurstan barely noticed the pain of his wound. Still, he struck out at the monster who had injured him, intent on its destruction, the wound it inflicted only serving to strengthen Thurstan.

Using Crusader's Strike. Assuming I hit and the monsters are a different alignment from me, I'll heal some amount. Martial Spirit's healing is going towards Oshe (2 points).

[roll0]
1: Stone Bones
2: Charging Minotaur

Attack roll: [roll1]
CC on 19-20: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] Slashing
Healing: [roll4]

If I miss I'll be at 16 HP, if I hit I'll be at 16+healing roll

GimliFett
2008-04-18, 01:37 PM
OsheakaelHP: 4/10; AC 17, t 12, ff 15

Osheakael beams at the Hunter. "Well done, indeed, my boy!" The professor's smile dims a bit. "Now to see about healing myself somewhat." He takes a deep breath and closes his eyes, focusing his thoughts inward. After a brief moment, he attempts to invoke a minor word of nurturing on himself. "Baweepneegrineebaw!" However, similar results to previous attempts follow. The professor's smile fades completely as his brow furrows deeply.

Already applied Thurstan's 2hp heal. Thanks!
Minor Word of Nurturing, DC 21.
Truespeak: [roll0]
EDIT: FUGAZI! :smallfurious: Maybe I'm just not saying it right?

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-18, 02:29 PM
The Tides Turn

The enraged hunter unleashes a might blast, utterly destroying the looming beast. His friend and follower, feeling stronger, swings his sword, killing one of the creatures in a single blow. The three remaining creatures flail ineffectually at his goo-drenched armor.

Given a moment to concentrate, the professor speaks another word of power... to apparently no effect whatsoever. Gen takes another shot of his crossbow, which again sails wide. Maybe the thing needed to be re-sighted?

Lochar
2008-04-18, 02:41 PM
Morin

Barely noticing Thurstan's words, and not truly even understanding them, Morin again channels the energies against the creatures that nearly killed him, the blue-green energies darkening again as they lash out at the smaller versions.

Damage: [roll2] + [roll3]

Crits only double the base damage, not the Mortalbane damage.

HP: 3/13, AC: 16

senrath
2008-04-18, 03:02 PM
Thurstan

Thurstan frowned slightly at Morin's actions, concerned for his friend. We need to finish this quickly. Drawing his power inwards once more, in an attempt to prevent any further damage that might be dealt to him this combat, Thurstan swung his sword, intent upon cutting the nearest of the foul beasts in half.

Italics denote thoughts, by the way.
Using Stone Bones, I will gain DR 5/adamantine until my next turn if I hit. My Martial Spirit healing will once again go to Oshe if I hit.

GimliFett
2008-04-21, 04:49 PM

Seeing that he was no longer in imminent peril, Osheakael shakes his head slowly and tries to focus enough to invoke knight's puisance on Thurstan. "Stemtrilkzaal!"

Truespeak: [roll0]; if successful :sigh: gain +2 to hit for 5 rounds.
EDIT: Did I just actually succed? OMG! :smallbiggrin:

Enlong
2008-04-21, 08:33 PM
Gen

Seeing the creatures weakened Gen tries again to take out a creature with his bow. He loads a bolt and fires at the one with the worst wounds.

Damage Roll: [roll1]

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-22, 12:41 PM
The Scholars Strike Back

Seeing the tides turn, the four men rally. First, Morin's blast drops one of the creatures tangling with Thurston, a low screech eminating from its dying corpse. Seeing his chance, Gen fires another bolt, this one striking true and dropping a second beast. Gathering his concentration, Oshaekal speaks a word of puissance, energizing Thurston and guiding his blade as he defends himself from the last two remaining creatures.

GimliFett
2008-04-22, 12:54 PM

"Stupendous!" the professor crows as the Truenaming takes effect. "Some success! Now to expand upon it and press our advantage!" Osheakael levels his crossbow and lets a bolt fly.

Attack: [roll0]
Crit?: [roll1]
EDIT: And we return to earth once more. :smallannoyed:

Lochar
2008-04-22, 01:06 PM
Morin

HP: 4/13 AC: 16

The haze slowly begins to clear as Morin sees more of the creatures begin to drop. He shakes his head, the potion still coursing through his veins, slowing healing damage done. The darker tones lift from his hands as he calls upon his own energy, not realizing he'd been channeling a darker power before.

"We've almost *cough* got them down, keep going!"

senrath
2008-04-22, 02:41 PM
Thurstan

"This shouldn't take much longer." Calm once more, Thurstan attacked the closest of the remaining foes. Despite the fact that he was still perfectly fine and could fight on for much longer, he was eager to see this battle ended. They needed to retreat and regroup.

Powers for the off-chance that combat lasts more than this round
[roll0]
Healing is going towards Oshe (hopefully)
Attack roll: [roll1]
CC on 19-20: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] Slashing

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-23, 03:23 PM
And the Rest is Silence

The two hunters down the remaining enemies with gusto. The four are alone in the basement again. There is an archway up ahead where the 5 monsters made their stand. Thurston is the closest to it.

Lochar
2008-04-24, 10:57 AM
Morin

Morin coughs again, as the potion continues it's work on him. He allows it to finish before speaking. "Damn sight closer to finished than I really rather getting. My thanks for the timely potion, Professor. I'll replace it for you when I get a chance.

GimliFett
2008-04-24, 11:12 AM

Shaking his head gently, Osheakael smiles at the Hunter as he reloads his crossbow. "Think nothing of it, friend! It was my pleasure to assist before your soul departed this mortal coil!" The professor resets his shield with a wince and looks at Morin with an intense gaze. "Now about those blasts of yours? From whence do they come? There does not seem to be much gesturing or any requirement of verbage to utilize! I find it most intriguing!"

So did I not fire my crossbow last round? If I did not, ignore that section of my post. :smallbiggrin:

Lochar
2008-04-24, 12:17 PM
Morin

"It's a blood based ability, something I was born with, but I didn't know I had until I was a Hunter for a while. It is something akin to a mage's magics. I'm still learning about it myself."

GimliFett
2008-04-24, 12:30 PM

Osheakael nods his head. "Very interesting! You said it is blood-based? As in genetic? Did your father or mother have the same abilities? In what other ways can it be utilized? I am sorry if I am prying too much, and we are involved in something at the moment. May we speak of this later?" he inquires.

Lochar
2008-04-24, 12:35 PM
Morin

Morin chuckles at the professor's quizzing, much more willing to let the man talk now. "Quite likely, although my mother doesn't have the ability, and my father could be any one of hundreds of men that visited her."

GimliFett
2008-04-24, 12:40 PM

Puzzled, the older man furrows his brow and tilts his head to the side. "What do you me-- Oh! Oh, I am sorry," Osheakael reddens in embarrasment as he finally realizes Morin's meaning. "Still, that is an intriguing point as well. Are you your mother's only child?" Clearly, his embarrasment lasts only a moment as the enigma that is the Hunter's past continues to draw the professor's attention.

Lochar
2008-04-24, 12:59 PM
Morin
HP 10/13 AC 16

Morin nods, before looking to the archway, trying to see past it. "I'm willing to answer your questions afterwards, Professor. We probably need to finish cleaning out this area though."

Anything seen, darkvision 60', see invis

GimliFett
2008-04-24, 01:07 PM

The professor smiles and readies his crossbow once more. "Of course! Of course! Please forgive me! My usual daily challenges is limited to lazy students. It has been some time since I have encountered anyone so interesting, let alone the action we've come across already!" He lifts his uncapped everburning torch. "Care for some illumination into the darkness, friend?"

Lochar
2008-04-24, 01:08 PM
Morin

Morin shakes his head. "To an extent, I can see in the darkness. Another benefit of my blood. It does sometimes make me wonder what the drawbacks will be."

GimliFett
2008-04-24, 01:13 PM

Eyes wide, the professor opens his mouth to speak, then stops himself, smiles at Morin and nods. "Later, then." He too looks at the open archway, trying to see past Thurstan.

senrath
2008-04-25, 02:51 PM
Thurstan

"You think we're good to press on? I'm fine, but you took a pretty big hit, as did the Professor here." Thurstan asked, glancing at Morin. He then wiped down his sword and sheathed it, before pulling out his own everburning torch from its place on his belt. Taking a step forwards, he looked out through the archway.

Spot:[roll0]
Do I see anything?

Lochar
2008-04-25, 02:55 PM
Morin

"The professor's potion got me up on my feet well." And indeed, the acid burns and gouges he had have faded now to a couple of new scars and light scratches. "We'll just have to play it a little better if we find more monsters."

GimliFett
2008-04-25, 02:57 PM

"Oh, yes. I was injured, was I not? I will try to do something about that." Osheakael ducks his head, considering his truename in conjunction with the minor word of nurturing, and speaks. "Bahweepneegrineebahw!"

[roll0]; if successful, I get fast healing 1 for 5 rounds.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-25, 03:02 PM
Peering Into the Darkness

The archway leads to a small foyer, the floor coated with the slime of the creatures who now live here. There is a doorway beyond that. The door is mostly broken and hangs at a sad angle by its bottom hinge, but does block your view somewhat.

Morin:
Spot check if you please.

Lochar
2008-04-25, 03:05 PM
Spot: [roll0] for massive failure!

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-26, 11:11 AM
Morin:
You notice some large glass fixture, maybe a mirror or a tank. Other than that, you can't see much through the gap.

Lochar
2008-04-26, 11:28 AM
Morin

Morin looks, and frowns. "Professor, do you know if they stored large glass things down here? There's something odd though there that I'd almost guess could be a large test tube type thing."

Enlong
2008-04-26, 10:19 PM
Need I make a knowledge check?

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-27, 09:58 AM
Gen:
There are all sorts of things stored down here, so it's not out of the question, but the last time you were down here, you didn't notice anything like that.

GimliFett
2008-04-29, 12:37 PM
OsheakaelHP: 9/10; AC 17, t 12, ff 15

Osheakael shakes his head. "I cannot say for certain, Morin. Such things may be down here, but should not be out in the open or anything like that. Certainly, they shouldn't be obstructing an entryway."

Sorry for lack of post. Lost the thread somehow.
@GJ: ^Safe to say?
Also, I added my 1st round of fast healing to my HPs. You want me to just add the other 4 or wait the time out (what's it? 24 more seconds?)?

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-29, 12:41 PM
Safe to say, I would think, although the glass is not obstructing the entry way, but merely something Morin spotted in the darkness. Anyone who has fast healing should just add on the duration now, as nothing will be attacking in the next 30 seconds or so.

Lochar
2008-04-29, 01:55 PM
Morin

AC: 16 HP: 10/13 DR 2/Cold Iron

"I don't think I trust it anyways." Morin looks over to the others, making sure they're ready before his hands light up with blue-green energy again. "Let's go play."

Morin will quietly walk through, readied action to use his blast if he sees movement.

GimliFett
2008-04-29, 02:05 PM

Osheakael follows Morin and Thurstan. He nods to his student to follow him as he hefts his crossbow one more.

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-29, 02:11 PM
Into the Lion's Den

Morin pushes the tattered door aside and enters into the darkness beyond. Torchlight illuminates the area somewhat, but only Morin can see to the end of the long hallway. There are two more tattered wooden doors on the right wall of the corridor leading god knows where. The hallways itself is cluttered with debris, broken tables and chair and more junk from the main storage room that spilled through. Movement in the hallway is difficult.

However, the most curious items in the coridoor are the large glass apparatus set into the left wall. They appear to be tanks of some sort, with metalic bases. At least one is broken, the shattered glass crunches as the men step over it, glittering in the torchlight. These were definately NOT here the last time Osheakal or Gen made their way down to the storage room.

GimliFett
2008-04-29, 02:33 PM

The professor shifts his hip so the everburning torch can better light the apparatus. With a puzzled, "Hm?" he moves over to it and begins inspecting it in an attempt to discern it's purpose and design.

[roll0]
[roll1]; if allowed to discern whether it's for alchemically-inclined or not.
[roll2]

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-29, 04:18 PM
Osheakael:
You've heard talk and read papers that theorize that monsters can be manufactured by Man, but never thought you'd see the evidence. The apparatus you are seeing almost directly matches up with one such design that the hedge scientist Ozyark layed out in 1833AC. Although it's not immediately apparent by looking at this device, the general principal requires the monsters to be grown in a genetic bath and preserved at a constant temperature as it matures. Ozyark also theorized that the opperation would have to be conducted under strict timelines to avoid unexpected maturations that could result in catastrophic failure, although he left the details of the timeline and what the failure would entail vague.

Hooray for natural 20s!

GimliFett
2008-04-29, 04:33 PM

As his eyes widen in recognition, Osheakael lowers his crossbow and steps even closer to the apparatus. "Incredible! I never thought--" he trails off as his face gets closer to the device. "It is! An Ozyark Apparatus! This is-- Very bad!" he says as he turns back to the others. "Gen? Gentlemen? Do any of you know what this is? Or what it portends?" he asks, lecture-voice overcoming his usual jovial attitude.

Lochar
2008-04-29, 04:34 PM
K: Arcana: [roll0]

Morin

"The name rings several bells, but not any specific ones. Only something that says break this thing down, quickly." Morin looks at the tube, hesitating, but ready to smash it.

Enlong
2008-04-29, 09:53 PM
Knowledge Arcana:[roll0]
What do I know?

senrath
2008-04-29, 10:02 PM
Not sure if it's appropriate, but I'll roll K:Religion:
[roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-04-30, 09:16 AM
Inspecting the Apparatus

Morin:
what you said is about right.

Gen:
You know that an Ozyark apparatus is a hypothetical device that could be used to breed monsters, but you only know it from Osheakal's off hand mention of it one day, you haven't actually studied it in any meaningful way.

Thurston:
No freaking clue.

The glass is smashed, but none of the particles are inside the apparatus, all on the floor in front of it, as if smashed from the inside. There are several more of the tank-like fixtures set into the wall further down the hallway.

Lochar
2008-05-06, 08:36 AM
OOC:
Sorry about letting this slack.

Morin

Looking at the still intact tubes, Morin questions the Professor. "You're more of an expert than I am. Destroy them, or is there a way to just turn them off and then destroy it?"

GimliFett
2008-05-06, 08:48 AM

Somehow Osheakael's eyes widen even further. "Destroy it? But-- No. You are right of course. These things cannot be allowed to continue. The creatures require a constant temperature to maintain proper growth. Otherwise mutations and catastrophic failure would be the result. Of course, what catastrophic failure infers is up for another debate. I had thought to simply alter the settings, but I fear what tampering would do..." He trails off, deep in thought. "Perhaps we can find some way to flush and destroy the genetic bath contents without damaging the equipment?"

Ditto. Sorry for no input... I'll do better! :smallbiggrin:

Human Paragon 3
2008-05-06, 10:06 AM
Out of Darkness

As Oshaekael reaches for the control element of the device, a shriek issues forth and another creatures emerges from its hiding place behind the tank. The call is taken up by others, possibly hidden around the room, or possibly in other parts of the basement.

Murder in its segmented eyes, the monsters lunges at the professor, who pulls his hand away at just the last second.

Initiative again, please!

GimliFett
2008-05-06, 10:12 AM

"Ah! Protecting the progenitor, hm?"

[roll0]

Lochar
2008-05-06, 11:37 AM
Init:[roll0]

Do we still have our other two as well?

senrath
2008-05-07, 05:34 AM
[roll0]
Yeah, I'm still here. I just really wasn't sure of what to post.

Enlong
2008-05-08, 09:21 PM
initiative roll [roll0]

Lochar
2008-05-19, 12:01 PM
Dammit, I don't want this game to die. I LIKE this character.

Morin

Kill them all, and smash the damned tubes!"

Ranged Touch: [roll0]

Human Paragon 3
2008-05-20, 09:09 AM
The game is in no danger of dying, it's just dragging a bit. I need to know what Gen, Osh and Thurston are doing on their initiative though! Bugs go on 3

Lochar
2008-05-20, 09:42 AM
I think they're waiting to find out what the creature's init is, as with a low init, their actions will change depending on what else happens.

The only reason I posted actually, is because I had a high init and was relatively certain that I'd go before the bugs.

BTW, I'm targeting any available bug.

GimliFett
2008-05-20, 12:06 PM
OsheakaelHP: 9/10; Init: 6
AC 17, t 12, ff 15
Osheakael takes a step back, brings his crossbow up and fires at the creature that attacked him. "Naughty, naughty! I'm just curious, hm?" he chuckles as he clucks his tongue.

5'-step away.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

senrath
2008-05-21, 03:38 PM
Thurstan

"Lets see how well this lot stands up to my blade!" Stepping forwards, Thurstan cut at the monster that had attacked the professor.

Attack:[roll0]
CC:[roll1]
Damage:[roll2]
Rolling for powers, yet again:
[roll3]

Enlong
2008-05-27, 11:20 PM
Gen

Gen steps quickly to protect his teacher, and invokes his last spell of any real power. Calling upon the elemental power of Water, he saturates his exhaling with a poison. He then breathes it out in a cone-like cloud, taking extra care to hit just the bug attacking his mentor.

Moving into position, and casting Cobra's Breath. 10 foot cone, positioned to hit only the visible bug. Fortitude save of take 1d3 points of CON damage.

Rolling CON damage: [roll0]

Note: if I am mistaken and there are more bugs, then I position to hit as many as possible, but taking extra priority to hit the one threatening Okshael. However, if the one attacking Okshael is dead by the time it's my turn, and there are no other bugs in range, then I just keep my crossbow ready and ready an action to shoot the next hostile that I see.
Sorry I've been away for a while. Won't happen again, I hope.

Enlong
2008-06-04, 09:04 PM
Hey guys? Please don't let this game die yet. Senrath's grounded for now, so he'll be a bit slow lately.

GimliFett
2008-06-05, 08:35 AM
I'm still around. I don't think Lochar wants this to fade away either, if I can speak for him briefly! :smallbiggrin: We've all posted our last rounds, just need a summation from GJ!

Human Paragon 3
2008-06-05, 12:15 PM
Round 2

The professor's bolt misfires, clattering harmlessly behind the apparatus, but his comrades quick reflexes kick in fast. First Morin blasts a monster appart, then Thurston crushes one under his mighty blows. Gen unleashes a poisonous cloud that stings the third. Wounded, the monster scrambles away, ducking through a hole in the lower half of a door opposite the apparatus and dissapearing into the darkness once again.

sorry guys, been so busy lately!

Enlong
2008-06-05, 04:37 PM
So, the room is monster-free for the moment?

Human Paragon 3
2008-06-06, 09:01 AM
The hallway is free of monsters, as far as any of you can tell. The last living monster that you know of dissapeared through a hole in the door. The apparatus is still whole and there may be others around. Also, an unsettling noise is issueing from the room where the wounded monster ran, sort of like a clicking, gurgling growl.

Lochar
2008-06-06, 09:08 AM
Morin

"Professor, disable that stupid thing. Or let me destroy it. But do it quickly."

Morin walks somewhat closer to the room the monster disappeared into, but does not actually walk into it. In his hands, he holds that same blue green energy, ready to be unleashed. His eyes bleed grey as they stare into the darkened room

Darkvision 60'. Spot: [roll0]

Readied action to attack another of those bugs.

[roll1]
CC: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

Also, detect magic goes on from here on out. Tell me if I spot any odd auras.

GimliFett
2008-06-06, 10:23 AM
AC 17, t 12, ff 15
The professor nods to Morin. "Of course! I will see what can be done," he says as he moves back to the device and considers how best to destroy the genetic bath without destroying the equipment.

So... How do I do it? :smallbiggrin:
[roll0]
[roll1]
Or I can UMD it... Lemme know and I'll roll it...

Human Paragon 3
2008-06-09, 09:47 AM
Osh:
An interesting design to be sure. A quick and dirty solution would be to break the glass. This would certainly render the contraption useless, but preserve the mechanisms for study. The glass is replacable, but the machine won't function without it.

Morin leans down to peer through the hole, attempting to spot anything behind the broken door. There are definately creatures within the room, one of which is... very large. Multiple magical auras dot the floor around an overturned desk, as if they had spilled out of its drawers when it was destroyed.

Suddenly, there is a movement from within the room and a tentacle lashes out at Morin through the hole, barely missing him.

Once more, initiative and first round actions. Enemies will go on an 11.

GimliFett
2008-06-09, 10:49 AM
AC 17, t 12, ff 15
With a frown, Osheakael comes to a decision. He smashes the butt of his crossbow into the glass, hoping to break the container but not destroy the device itself. "I'll be with you gentlemen in a moment!" he calls to them.

Lochar
2008-06-10, 01:14 PM
Morin

Jerking back, Morin hisses at the tentacle. "Blasted thing!" he growls at it, as energy leaps into his hands, and then at the thing.

Init:[roll0]

Ranged Touch if it's still in range: [roll1]
CC: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
Doubled on a crit.

Enlong
2008-06-19, 06:37 AM
Gen

Jumping at the sight of the tentacle, Gen raises his crossbow once more and loads another arrow. Then, he tries a new trick. He mutters a few words over the bolt he just readied, and the shaft glows with a pearly light.

Initiative Roll: [roll0]
Loading my crossbow (move action) and casting Light on the bolt