PDA

View Full Version : D&D 4.5 announced for release February 2009

KIDS
2008-04-01, 01:03 PM
In an unexpected turn of events, Wizards of the Coast announced the release of D&D 4.5 edition in February 2009, complete with reprinting of the three core books - Player's Handbook, Monster Manual and Dungeon Monster's Guide. "We intend to begin working on these books as soon as the first feedback from 4E release is recieved. We are certain that many of the possible imbalances in the game and bugs in the online playing software will be caught soon and corrected immediately. When all of this information is collected, it is only logical to reprint and release an updated version, codenamed 4.5 so far," said Keith Bakerson, a design and development manager. "The entire project is confidential right now but I can give out some small tidbits. For example, we are aware that many players are distressed by gnomes being removed from the Player's Handbook in 4E. This oversight will be fixed in 4.5 PHB where we intend to add a new race: Chaos Gnome. Also, there are plans to compensate for the Druid and Cleric classes being underpowered in 3E and 4E by giving them a host of new and exciting abilities. We are very much looking forward to these two oft-maligned classes being 'buffed' in 4.5 and fit to meaningfully contribute to their parties again. A new 'averaging' rolling system is being developed: I cannot reveal major features, but it will be based on 3d8. In many ways, this change will revolutionize the way the game is played. We look forward to extending the great legacy of D&D into this new edition."
Another news conference was scheduled for the next week with more interesting details about D&D 4.5 to be revealed there. In the meantime, an invitation is extended to everyone to discuss this issue and ideas for 4.5 at the Wizards of the Coast's official forums.

Link to the report (www.wizards.com/dnd/4.5). Discuss!

Thinker
2008-04-01, 01:08 PM
http://finurlig.se/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/hockey-darkhelmet.jpg

Fooled You!

TheThan
I'm automatically assuming its an April fools joke, just because its April fools.

(skepticism FTW)

Zenos
I'm tired of April Fools.

nerulean
2008-04-01, 01:15 PM
Wizards do seem to have come up with several hundred of them this year...

Ascension
2008-04-01, 01:22 PM
My favorite is the one that offers $50 bucks towards 4E books to anyone who legally changes their name to "&".

TRM
2008-04-01, 09:14 PM
Again?!? WoTC is nothing but a money-grubbing corporation trying to turn D&D into WoW!!:smallfurious: :smallfurious:
April fools!!
I'm never playing D&D again.:smallannoyed: :smallmad:
*pulls a large hammer out of his bag, smashes subtlety with it*

edit: @V Not bad at all, it means you've finally joined me among the ranks of the Cynical Wombats Society.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-01, 09:16 PM
How bad is it that this seems plausible to me?

BardicDuelist
2008-04-01, 09:24 PM
How bad is it that this seems plausible to me?

That's what I was thinking.

I am glad that there will still be a SRD. Ignoring the cost for a while will help.

Coplantor
2008-04-01, 09:34 PM
Come on, this is clearly an April's fools joke, cleric underpowered? Chaos Gnomes? 4,5 anounced before the release of 4E? when they said that instead of 4.5 there was going to be PHB 2 and DMG 2 one year after the release of the three core and then PHB 3 and DMG 3 the next year? and come on... Chaos Gnome????? I cant even start to imagine what that could be. Oh, and I was forgeting the 3d8 system!

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-01, 09:40 PM
Come on, this is clearly an April's fools joke, cleric underpowered? Chaos Gnomes? 4,5 anounced before the release of 4E? when they said that instead of 4.5 there was going to be PHB 2 and DMG 2 one year after the release of the three core and then PHB 3 and DMG 3 the next year? and come on... Chaos Gnome????? I cant even start to imagine what that could be. Oh, and I was forgeting the 3d8 system!I was taking all of that into account when I said it seemed plausible. This is WotC we're talking about here.

Rutee
2008-04-01, 09:51 PM
I was taking all of that into account when I said it seemed plausible. This is WotC we're talking about here.

I don't know why that's a factor. WotC didn't exactly release editions any faster then TSR.

The_Snark
2008-04-01, 09:55 PM
Come on, this is clearly an April's fools joke, cleric underpowered? Chaos Gnomes? 4,5 anounced before the release of 4E? when they said that instead of 4.5 there was going to be PHB 2 and DMG 2 one year after the release of the three core and then PHB 3 and DMG 3 the next year? and come on... Chaos Gnome????? I cant even start to imagine what that could be. Oh, and I was forgeting the 3d8 system!

I am sorry to inform you that there really is such a thing as a chaos gnome. See Races of Stone.

Ascension
2008-04-01, 10:16 PM
Chaos Gnome????? I cant even start to imagine what that could be.

Uhh, I hate to break it to you, but Chaos Gnomes already exist. They're in Races of Stone as one of the new gnomish subraces.

They get a level adjustment and everything!

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Rutee
2008-04-01, 10:17 PM
I'm reminded of RPG.net's contest to have you come up with an animal that hasn't been used as the basis for a PC Race...

Zeful
2008-04-01, 10:43 PM

I am glad that there will still be a SRD. Ignoring the cost for a while will help.

3.5 will still have an SRD but 4e's will have quality related information.

Mee
2008-04-01, 10:47 PM
So, does this mean that we should:
Keep the 3.5 and don't bother upgrading ((which is what I plan to do))
Or wait for another year, and go straight to 4.5, and avoid 4.0?
So, now my head hurts.

Bleen
2008-04-02, 11:20 AM
I'm reminded of RPG.net's contest to have you come up with an animal that hasn't been used as the basis for a PC Race...

Fact:Blizzard has a big dartboard with a bunch of animal names on it. Every time they decide to have a new WoW expansion, they close their eyes and let loose a dart.

Whatever animal is chosen then becomes the new anthromorphic, gritty, tribal, misunderstood-yet-proud warrior race barely clinging to their homeland.

Rutee
2008-04-02, 11:24 AM
So, does this mean that we should:
Keep the 3.5 and don't bother upgrading ((which is what I plan to do))
Or wait for another year, and go straight to 4.5, and avoid 4.0?
So, now my head hurts.

It means you look up to see whether or not Gullible is written on the ceiling, m'dear. :smallwink:

Fact:Blizzard has a big dartboard with a bunch of animal names on it. Every time they decide to have a new WoW expansion, they close their eyes and let loose a dart.
DnD has ostrich people, hippofolk with laser guns, lemurkin (and more associated monkeyfolk then one person could ever possibly use), and ferret people, among others. Really, you're misaiming the joke :P

Fhaolan
2008-04-02, 11:39 AM

Pangolin. I'm reasonably sure nobody's done a pangolin PC race before.

Wait... maybe I'm wrong... I'm going to have to go book diving again, damn you...

Coplantor
2008-04-02, 12:20 PM
OMG, chaos gnomes? They do exist? Well, that made me look stupid...

Starbuck_II
2008-04-02, 12:35 PM

I know Warcraft has a Pandaren, but D&D doesn't yet have one. Or a Playpus Race.

MorkaisChosen
2008-04-02, 12:41 PM
Has anyone done Worm-people yet?

wait a minute, Worm tht Walks... That's gone.

OK, the dreaded KANGAROOMAN!

Indon
2008-04-02, 12:43 PM
It means you look up to see whether or not Gullible is written on the ceiling, m'dear. :smallwink:

Or if there's a monster disguising itself as a ceiling coming to kill you!

Coplantor
2008-04-02, 12:57 PM
Mmmm, nope, I dont think that worm people exists but... mmmmm. Let's create worm people! and maggot people! Toghether they shall be invincible!

KIDS
2008-04-02, 01:35 PM
KAOS GNOMZ DURIDZ R OVRPOWRD LOLZ!!11!!1!1!

This entire thread was of course an April Fool's Day joke. Thanks everyone for listening me, I hope someone got a laugh from it :)

Jayngfet
2008-04-02, 01:54 PM
OMG, chaos gnomes? They do exist? Well, that made me look stupid...

no, I'm afraid that the "OMG" did that for you.

Xuincherguixe
2008-04-02, 02:48 PM
Frankly, I'm waiting for D&D 5 to correct all the imbalances.

Coplantor
2008-04-02, 04:51 PM
no, I'm afraid that the "OMG" did that for you.

It was kind of intentional, but now my mind score is 2 - 0 and stupidness is wining... and i fear that this post will change the score to 3 - 0.

Mee
2008-04-02, 05:03 PM

(Shhh!!!! NOT THE POINT!!! :smalltongue: )

TSGames
2008-04-02, 05:08 PM

And don't forget there's always piracy!
</not_a_suggestion>

SimperingToad
2008-04-02, 05:25 PM
Well, it may be more factual than one might think. <strange logic follows>

In 1E, there was the original Unearthed Arcana, which many consider AD&D 1.5. (more like a 1.2 to me, but that's splitting hairs)

In 2E, there was Skills&Powers, considered AD&D 2.5.

In 3E, there was the admitted 3.5 upgrade.

If they actually do pull off the plan of a new DMG/PHB/MM each year, then we'll be hitting 4.1 in 2009, 4.2 in 2010, etc.

Arrr... shivers me timbers jus' tinking 'bout it.

Regards,
theToad

GoodbyeSoberDay
2008-04-02, 07:37 PM
April Fools joke or no, I'm waiting for the 4.5 release.

Rutee
2008-04-02, 07:42 PM
Well, it may be more factual than one might think. <strange logic follows>

In 1E, there was the original Unearthed Arcana, which many consider AD&D 1.5. (more like a 1.2 to me, but that's splitting hairs)

In 2E, there was Skills&Powers, considered AD&D 2.5.

In 3E, there was the admitted 3.5 upgrade.

If they actually do pull off the plan of a new DMG/PHB/MM each year, then we'll be hitting 4.1 in 2009, 4.2 in 2010, etc.

Arrr... shivers me timbers jus' tinking 'bout it.

Regards,
theToad
Actually, there was Skills and Powers, and ADnD Revised. Either way, the time gap between the .5 and the original product is usually around 5-7 years, if I recall (I made a chart of this, because I was tired of 'omg 4e is money grubbingly fast' accusations) , and that's usually the wait time between the .5 and the next edition as well. 3.0 -> 3.5 was admittedly shorter then ordinary (3 years), but its' pretty much the only abnormal entry on the chart, and I'll be fair and point out that the way some mechanics worked (Notably DR) was /killing/ Living Greyhawk parties with too much frequency.

Nonanonymous
2008-04-02, 07:59 PM
Has anyone done Worm-people yet?

wait a minute, Worm tht Walks... That's gone.

OK, the dreaded KANGAROOMAN!

Worm people were in one of the 3/3.5ed monster manuals (Called psurlons I believe), and kangaroo people were in Tank Girl. Nothing is bizarre enough to escape being anthromorphic, not even feces (http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article42.htm).

SimperingToad
2008-04-03, 06:17 PM
Actually, there was Skills and Powers, and ADnD Revised. Either way, the time gap between the .5 and the original product is usually around 5-7 years, if I recall (I made a chart of this, because I was tired of 'omg 4e is money grubbingly fast' accusations) , and that's usually the wait time between the .5 and the next edition as well. 3.0 -> 3.5 was admittedly shorter then ordinary (3 years), but its' pretty much the only abnormal entry on the chart, and I'll be fair and point out that the way some mechanics worked (Notably DR) was /killing/ Living Greyhawk parties with too much frequency.

Actually, my point was not the time between editions, but one of needing an 'upgrade' vs. planning for one. If the 'upgrade theory' holds true, then 4E will mark the first time that an 'upgrade' was in the works before the original product was even released. It's like selling a frame of a car to the public one year, then having them buy the rest in pieces at a future date when they are completed.

Regards,
theToad