PDA

View Full Version : Languages?

Lord Tataraus
2008-04-01, 02:55 PM
I was wondering, how many laguages are there in D&D? So, this thread is to compile a list of all of the languages in D&D 3.5
Aboleth*
Asherati
Battle sign
Beholder*
Bhuka
Abyssal
Aquan
Auran
Blink dog
Darfellan
Drow
Drow sign
Feline (catfolk)
Formian
Gith
Gol-Kaa (goliath)
Grell*
Grimlock
Hadozee
Illumian
Khen-zai* (ethergaunts, nonverbal)
Maenad
Qualith* (illithids, written form of telepathy)
Sahaguin
Slaad
Sphinx
Thri-keen
Treant
Tsochar*
Tuilvilanue (raptorans)
Worg
Xeph
Celestial
Common
Draconic
Druidic
Dwarven
Elven
Giant
Gnoll
Gnome
Goblin
Halfling
Ignan
Infernal
Orc
Sylvan
Terran
Undercommon

That's all I can think of for now, what else is there? Are there any other alignment languages such as for LN or CN?

Smiley_
2008-04-01, 03:03 PM
You missed three of the four elemental languages.

Ignan
Auran
Aquan

There may be more, but I'm too lazy to look for them.

Zenos
2008-04-01, 03:08 PM
Drow sign language
Blink dog

NEO|Phyte
2008-04-01, 03:12 PM
Worg is another one.

Kol Korran
2008-04-01, 03:13 PM
(sigh) each campaign world has it's own languages... plus- sometimes DMs add languages for cultures that were more isolated, or had a strogner sense of their own culture and langueage. some DMs also suse dialects for different languages.

but back on track, here are some of the languages on Eberron:
- old common (also called Riedran i think)
- Daelkyr (for specific creatures)
- argon (special region)
- Daan (langiage of a plane)
- old giant (a forgotten language, found in ruins of an old continent)
- Irial (for positive energy creatures)
- Kythric (language of another plane)
- Marban (negative energy creatures)
- Quori (specific creatures)
- Syranian (yet another plane)

FR probabvly has loads of regional languages i'd imagine.

brian c
2008-04-01, 03:17 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/speakLanguage.htm

Abyssal, Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Common, Draconic, Druidic*, Dwarven, Elven, Goblin, Gnome, Giant, Gnoll, Halfling, Ignan, Infernal, Orc, Sylvan, Terran, Undercommon.

Druidic gets an asterisk because it's secret.

Also, Ettins (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ettin.htm) speak a "pidgin" of mixed up Common, Giant and Goblin that requires an Int check to understand, but if I were DMing and someone wanted to use Speak Language on Ettin, I'd let them.

I'm sure that some of the splatbooks have introduced new languages, and of course there are the regional languages for the settings

The_Snark
2008-04-01, 03:23 PM
A lot of monsters have their own languages, especially the weird ones for whom it wouldn't make sense to speak standard languages, and some of the races introduced in later books do also. Here's what I found on a quick look-through...

-Aboleth*
-Asherati
-Battle sign
-Beholder*
-Bhuka
-Darfellan
-Drow (mix of Elven and Undercommon)
-Drow sign
-Feline (catfolk)
-Formian (they have their own language, though why they need it with telepathic communication I don't know)
-Gith
-Gol-Kaa (goliath)
-Grell*
-Grimlock
-Hadozee
-Illumian
-Khen-zai* (ethergaunts, nonverbal)
-Maenad
-Qualith* (illithids, written form of telepathy)
-Sahaguin
-Slaad
-Sphinx
-Thri-keen
-Treant
-Tsochar*
-Tuilvilanue (raptorans)
-Worg
-Xeph

The ones with an asterisk are hard to learn or speak, usually because the speakers are hostile or keep their language secret, because the language relies on having a different anatomy from humans, or both. I'd have sworn there were a few more secret racial languages, but I'm not actually seeing any, so that mostly denotes the abberation races, I guess.

This is leaving out setting-specific stuff; Eberron has several new ones, and Faerun has a metric ton of regional languages.

Hawriel
2008-04-01, 03:38 PM
strogner .

Dude awsome typo!!!! Im going to use that as the name of my next character. He will be a barbarian. :smallsmile:

Thieve's cant.

Wile not a real language persay it is a form of subcultual communication. It was a class ability for thieves in 2nd ed. Its based on the "shop talk" slang and innuendo of thieves and peaple of that ilk. Not unlike gamers in their own slang or any other subculture. 3rd ed dropped it to the wayside but its still lagitemat in my view and games.

Lord Tataraus
2008-04-01, 03:52 PM
(sigh) each campaign world has it's own languages... plus- sometimes DMs add languages for cultures that were more isolated, or had a strogner sense of their own culture and langueage. some DMs also suse dialects for different languages.

but back on track, here are some of the languages on Eberron:
- old common (also called Riedran i think)
- Daelkyr (for specific creatures)
- argon (special region)
- Daan (langiage of a plane)
- old giant (a forgotten language, found in ruins of an old continent)
- Irial (for positive energy creatures)
- Kythric (language of another plane)
- Marban (negative energy creatures)
- Quori (specific creatures)
- Syranian (yet another plane)

FR probabvly has loads of regional languages i'd imagine.

Well, I meant non-campaign specific languages.

I've added everything so far, thanks a lot! Are there any others out there?

Townopolis
2008-04-01, 03:59 PM
In Carcane, there's a prestige class that has to learn some ancient language as a prerequisite, don't remember the name of the language (and therefore, you may already have it and I wouldn't know) but yeah.

RTGoodman
2008-04-01, 04:05 PM
In Carcane, there's a prestige class that has to learn some ancient language as a prerequisite, don't remember the name of the language (and therefore, you may already have it and I wouldn't know) but yeah.

That would be Ancient Suloise (or however it's spelled). If I remember correctly, though, that's just another setting-specific language from either FR or Greyhawk.

Chronos
2008-04-01, 05:28 PM
Thieve's cant.Oh, yeah, that was great fun. Especially when there were two thieves and a paladin in the party, and you could talk about him behind his back. It's replaced with Innuendo in 3.0, and Bluff in 3.5, but it really just isn't the same.

Do Truespeech, Words of Creation, and the Black Speech count for these purposes?

TheCountAlucard
2008-04-01, 05:38 PM
Languages can be a funny thing. Almost all of the characters my players make are capable of speaking Draconic. Don't ask me why they do this; they've only ever encountered a dragon one time.

mabriss lethe
2008-04-01, 05:59 PM
well, there's the stuff from OA, but that's technically 3.0 I believe.
Rokugani (setting specific version of common )
Bakemono
Buso
Hengeyokai
Kappa
Nezumi
Shadowlands
Spirit Tongue
Tasloi
Tengu
Vanara
Yeti

Collin152
2008-04-01, 06:02 PM
Languages can be a funny thing. Almost all of the characters my players make are capable of speaking Draconic. Don't ask me why they do this; they've only ever encountered a dragon one time.

Kobolds and Troglodytes speak it too.

Nonanonymous
2008-04-01, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure if it counts as a language or not, but Races of Destiny had 'gutterspeak' which was basically a way to represent urban slang in D&D composed of almost all of the standard races languages, and is perhaps similar to this 'thieve's cant' that I've been so underprivileged to have never encountered.

Kobolds and Troglodytes speak it too.

Wizards can get it as a bonus language though, which makes it seem rather preposterous for it to be a language for troglodytes, doesn't it?

Collin152
2008-04-01, 08:05 PM
Wizards can get it as a bonus language though, which makes it seem rather preposterous for it to be a language for troglodytes, doesn't it?

Draconic really gets around, eh?

DementedFellow
2008-04-01, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure if it counts as a language or not, but Races of Destiny had 'gutterspeak' which was basically a way to represent urban slang in D&D composed of almost all of the standard races languages,

Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' med side.

First Jive Dude: "Man, that honky mus' be messin' my old lady... got to be runnin' cold upside down his head. You know?"
Second Jive Dude: "Hey home, I can dig it. You know he ain't gonna lay no mo' big rap up on you man."
First Jive Dude: "I say hey sky, s'other s'ay I wan say?"
Second Jive Dude: "UH..."
First Jive Dude: "Pray to J I get the same ol' same ol'."
Second Jive Dude: "Eh. Yo knock yourself a pro slick, gray matter live performas down now take TCB'in man."
First Jive Dude: "Hey, you know what they say... See a broad, to get that booty yak 'em."
First Jive Dude, Second Jive Dude: "Leg 'er down 'n smack 'em yak 'em"

Nonanonymous
2008-04-01, 08:14 PM
honky

Um... You do know that's a racial slur, right? Granted, not a very good one, but still...

DementedFellow
2008-04-01, 08:17 PM
Um... You do know that's a racial slur, right? Granted, not a very good one, but still...

You realize it's a memorable scene in a movie, right?

I used it to show what that language could be like.

Oh well, hopefully someone found it funny.

gnomas
2008-04-01, 08:27 PM
well there's

camp speak (from dragonlance)
the dark speach (from BoVD, may have been said already)

Collin152
2008-04-01, 08:30 PM
What about truespeech?
It's a language.

ForzaFiori
2008-04-01, 08:38 PM
FR languages:

Aglarondan
Alzhhedo
Chessentan
Chondathan
Chultan
Damaran
Dambrathan
Durpari
Halruaan
Illuskan
Lantanese
Midani
Mulhorandi
Thayan Mulhorandi
Nexalan
Rashemi
Serusan
Shaaran
Shou
Tashalan
Tuigan
Turmic
Uluik
Untheric

Aragrakh
Hulgorkyn
Loross
Netherese
Roushoum
Seldruin
Thorass

The last7 are dead languages.

tyckspoon
2008-04-01, 09:08 PM

Not really. Draconic is the assumed Ur-language of reptilian races. Realistically speaking, kobolds and trogs and whatever else uses Draconic as a racial language are probably speaking dialects or closely related languages. D&D just doesn't bother to simulate that level of lingual detail (which is also why there's only one Common, one Elvish, etc. unless you get into the setting-specific languages.) Draconic is also the default Ancient Magic Language, which is the variety Wizards would learn. A real-world example would be giving everybody who speaks Spanish, French, or Italian Latin as a D&D language as well as those scholars who actually study Latin proper.

Ascension
2008-04-01, 09:34 PM
There's also the Sigil version of the Cant, though again, that's setting specific (and my DM categorized it under Knowledge (Local: Sigil), instead of as a language).

Hawriel
2008-04-01, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=Chronos;4134637]Oh, yeah, that was great fun. Especially when there were two thieves and a paladin in the party, and you could talk about him behind his back. It's replaced with Innuendo in 3.0, and Bluff in 3.5, but it really just isn't the same. QUOTE]

Oh yeah you know the party well. Try A paladin with a LG cleric of Tyr and a LG cleric/mage, I was the thief and my partner was a fighter/thief

Sanzh
2008-04-01, 11:16 PM
In Libris Mortis, some monster has their own language-- Moilan, I believe it's called.

SoD
2008-04-02, 01:40 AM
I once created a level one NPC who spoke: Aboleth, Abyssal, Aquan, Armandish, Asherati, Auran, Beholder, Bhuka, Blink, Boggle, Celestial, Common, Dethek, Draconic, Drow, Drow Sign, Druidic, Dwarven, Elven, Feline, Formian, Giant, Githyanki, Githzerai, Gnome, Goblin, Gol-Kaa, Gnoll, Grimlock, Kuo-Toan, Halfling, Ibixian, Ignan, Illumian, Infernal, Jermlaine, Kenku, Nycter, Loxo, Lumi, Quor, Odopi, Orc, Riedran, Roushoum, Sahuagin, Slaad, Sphinx, Stonesinger, Sylvan, Terran, Thri-Keen, Tuilvilanuue, Umber, Undercommon, Windsong, Worg, Yuan-Ti.

I think there's at least a few in there you've missed out...

Turcano
2008-04-02, 02:06 AM
I once created a level one NPC who spoke: Aboleth, Abyssal, Aquan, Armandish, Asherati, Auran, Beholder, Bhuka, Blink, Boggle, Celestial, Common, Dethek, Draconic, Drow, Drow Sign, Druidic, Dwarven, Elven, Feline, Formian, Giant, Githyanki, Githzerai, Gnome, Goblin, Gol-Kaa, Gnoll, Grimlock, Kuo-Toan, Halfling, Ibixian, Ignan, Illumian, Infernal, Jermlaine, Kenku, Nycter, Loxo, Lumi, Quor, Odopi, Orc, Riedran, Roushoum, Sahuagin, Slaad, Sphinx, Stonesinger, Sylvan, Terran, Thri-Keen, Tuilvilanuue, Umber, Undercommon, Windsong, Worg, Yuan-Ti.

I think there's at least a few in there you've missed out...

So I take it this was a druid with an Int score of 50?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-02, 02:07 AM
Words of Creation. BoED. Not really a language, but close.

Edit: Wouldn't it have been easier to just use a magic item?

SoD
2008-04-02, 02:23 AM
So I take it this was a druid with an Int score of 50?

No, a bard with int 20 (grey elf [I think] +2 int), who threw every skill point on a new language.

He knows Druidic because, after a while, I started running out of languages...

Turcano
2008-04-02, 04:44 AM
No, a bard with int 20 (grey elf [I think] +2 int), who threw every skill point on a new language.

He knows Druidic because, after a while, I started running out of languages...

You still need an Int score of 24 to get 56 languages with a bard (7+4(6+7)=59), in addition to the two languages non-human characters get as freebies. And as for Druidic, good luck finding a druid willing to teach it to you.

Chronicled
2008-04-02, 04:52 AM
Better yet for the 1st level linguist, a Changling (gets Speak Language as a class skill) with the Changling Rogue substitution level (gives 10+Int skill points/level). With an 18 Int, you've got 60 languages right off the bat.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-02, 06:58 AM
And as for Druidic, good luck finding a druid willing to teach it to you.

You don't get it from a Druid. You get it from a Blighter.

Kami2awa
2008-04-02, 07:13 AM
Dude awsome typo!!!! Im going to use that as the name of my next character. He will be a barbarian. :smallsmile:

Thieve's cant.

Wile not a real language persay it is a form of subcultual communication. It was a class ability for thieves in 2nd ed. Its based on the "shop talk" slang and innuendo of thieves and peaple of that ilk. Not unlike gamers in their own slang or any other subculture. 3rd ed dropped it to the wayside but its still lagitemat in my view and games.

I've always imagined Thieve's Cant as being like Cockney Rhyming Slang:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockney_rhyming_slang