PDA

View Full Version : OMG! A Legend of Zelda Movie!

FoE
2008-04-01, 05:04 PM
I just caught a trailer for a new Legend of Zelda movie! Ohmigod, it looks like the most amazing thing ever! You just have to check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvN7jZ34SAA

What do you think? Obviously, I think it will be the greatest movie of all time!

@V: Some day it will, though. It's only a matter of time. :smallfrown:

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-01, 05:07 PM
Phew, made up. Else, I'd have unleashed the biggest No in existence, Zelda shall not be defiled by a movie.

Tengu
2008-04-01, 05:12 PM
"Now mind your manners and do what I say. Speak to no one."

Xuincherguixe
2008-04-01, 05:13 PM
Personally, I'm holding out for the Metroid movie. I think I heard that a trailer will be released next week.

UglyPanda
2008-04-01, 05:18 PM
I was on the look-out for April Fool's Day jokes, so I have no feelings about the fact that it's fake. It's not a good idea to make a Zelda film anyway, since most of the games are self-contained.

Zakama
2008-04-01, 05:25 PM
I've gotta think it was a joke too, but man... That looked real. That's ALOT of work to put into an April fools joke.

Also lol @ the Peahats and boss battles :smallbiggrin:

hylian chozo
2008-04-01, 05:25 PM
It's seems pretty elaborate for a joke. I could swear I Gohma in there somewhere.

Obrysii
2008-04-01, 05:28 PM
A high-budget well-done Zelda movie could work out - though it'd have to be much shorter (ie, no multiple dungeons or very short dungeons) and the writers would have to resist the urge to indulge entirely in fan service (don't randomly throw a goron in just because they're cool - make all in-universe stuff appear according to the narrative, not for fan service).

And yes, Gohma shows up for a brief scene in the trailer - very cool.

Rogue 7
2008-04-01, 05:30 PM
Very true. And get some better-looking actors for the parts. I mean, come on, I could have been eating when I saw that. But a Zelda movie would work. What would be really cool is if they went the route of not having Link say a word, like he does in-game.

FoE
2008-04-01, 05:34 PM
Maybe as an animated movie, it would work. But as a live-action movie? The pointy ears and green cap just look goofy. Plus, the majority of Link's enemies will have to be CGI anyways.

RTGoodman
2008-04-01, 05:39 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about - that looked frappin' sweet to me. I do agree on better-looking actors (I thought that Zelda was Haley Joel Osment for a minute) and that the green hat needs to look less goofy, but I'd definitely see it.

EDIT: And if this is a joke, it's the most elaborate one I've seen. Here's a link (http://www.rainfallfilms.com/) to the website for the production company.

Tengu
2008-04-01, 05:42 PM
Maybe as an animated movie, it would work. But as a live-action movie? The pointy ears and green cap just look goofy. Plus, the majority of Link's enemies will have to be CGI anyways.

Animated movie, you say? (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM)

Jerthanis
2008-04-01, 05:48 PM
I was on the look-out for April Fool's Day jokes, so I have no feelings about the fact that it's fake. It's not a good idea to make a Zelda film anyway, since most of the games are self-contained.

Odd, I'd say the games would make the perfect movie precisely because they're so self-contained. I'm not a Zegend of Lelda fanatic enough to hold down any sort of argument about continuity between the games, but I've played at least three games in the series with as far as I can tell the exact same plot.

That plot could easily fit into a movie.

TheThan
2008-04-01, 05:57 PM

yeah, i think that would be their best bet if they really did one.

of course i though they should have done tomb raider the same way.
Since you know Laura croft is a CGI character anyway.

Tengu
2008-04-01, 06:01 PM
Ah, don't remind me of the Tomb Raider movies! Poor Lara might be guilty of making so many people think she, and not Samus Aran is the original Computer Game Action Girl, but she didn't deserve portraying in such a horrible, dumbed-down way...

TheLogman
2008-04-01, 06:06 PM
The only reason that I have to believe this is fake is that the Link in the movie is actually right-handed. Look which hand the triforce goes on, which hand is raised in power after he dons the armor, and then once again which arm his sword arm is. It is extremely important for some reason that Link be left-handed, and since this Link is not, it might be fake. That, and its kinda a dumb idea, and it could have been better done, especially Ganon. It looks like it was a lower budget than a movie supported by Nintendo should be. That, and Wikipedia has nothing on it, which although proves nothing, is suspicious.

DraPrime
2008-04-01, 06:06 PM
Please tell me this is a joke. I don't want the pain of another video game movie.

Tengu
2008-04-01, 06:08 PM
It is extremely important for some reason that Link be left-handed, and since this Link is not, it might be fake.

Because left-handed people are more awesome. Trust me, I know from personal experience.

Pocketa
2008-04-01, 06:13 PM
Okay, I really don't think this is gonna be a rael movie, but I want it to be one so bad...

Okay, so here's my reasons why I think it's fake and why it might not be.

FAKE

*Link being right-handed. He never has been, why would that change?
*Scar is on the wrong hand.
*The fact that he has his hat, yet he isn't supposed to get that until after the events of Minish Cap. I highly doubt Nintendo would forget the events of an entire game.
*Somebody's gonna prove me wrong on this, but doesn't Nintendo like to announce their own news?
*Why would they release it April 1st of all days?

MIGHT NOT BE FAKE

*The extensive CGI. I mean, come on! It's gorgeous.
*The budget to make this.
*Time, effort, etc.
*Chainmail.
*We beleive.
*We haven't read an blogs that say 'OMZG I WAS IN A FAKE IGN TRAILER LOLOOLOOL!111!!oneoneone!!!hundredeleven' recently.
*We haven't heard of actors in it (don't they have to keep it under wraps and all).

DraPrime
2008-04-01, 06:15 PM
I watched the trailer a few more times, and realized that if you take away the name "Zelda" then it just looks like another bad fantasy movie. And the green hat just ruins the whole drama of Link putting on his gear. I mean, he looks like a garden gnome, not a hero.

SpiderMew
2008-04-01, 06:22 PM
You know, after watching that, i kinda wouldnt mind seeing a live action zelda movie. As long as it got the offican nintendo seal of approval (and was done to be cannon with the wonky timeline[s])

Its obviously fake. But it was nice.

Oslecamo
2008-04-01, 06:28 PM
Very good worck for a April's fool joke.

Link may look goofy, but hell the monsters and the buildindgs/enviroment are actually quite badass.

I can't imagine any way you could make real people Zelda movie whitout Link's clothes not looking silly.

Rogue 7
2008-04-01, 06:31 PM
Very true- Zelda is a generic story when you get down to it. But Ocarina of Time's plot, perhaps divided into 2 movies, would make for decent fare. And that trailer barely went into specifics at all- the plot of Twilight Princess would also probably make a decent movie, I think.

Sixscimitars
2008-04-01, 06:47 PM
Animated movie, you say? (http://youtube.com/watch?v=FPxY8lpYAUM)

GAARBLRABLALVBRESGWRGTHRT
(brain stops hurting)
Sorry, back on topic.
Anyway, I thought Ganondorf looked like a mall Santa, but it was good otherwise. Link should be left-handed, the hat looks really stupid, blah blah blah. I think that a Zelda movie could concievably work. Metroid would be better.
Ocarina and Twilight Princess would be awesome.

Anteros
2008-04-01, 06:57 PM
No way. I demand Cave-Hermit guy in my Zelda movie. He's clearly the most important character in the entire series.

Fiery Diamond
2008-04-01, 06:57 PM
Obviously fake. I mean, release date April 1 2009? Come on - IGN is giving an obvious hint there.

Regardless of the fact that it is a joke, your "reasons it is fake" don't all hold water, Pocketa:
-the wii version of TP had him right-handed because they flipped the game
-minish cap has absolutely no bearing on the main canon

And I agree, Ganondorf looked very corny. I also agree with Oslecamo.

And a LoZ movie with real people and lots of CGI could, in fact, be awesome. Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess would be the best games to base it off of.
Or they could come up with a new story that still involved all the important elements. Of course, a Zelda movie could also be really terrible. And that would be horrible, because Legend of Zelda is the best video game series ever. Followed by Fire Emblem. But Zelda is still better.

-Fiery Diamond

Sneak
2008-04-01, 07:14 PM
Well, Pocketa is kind of right about the first one. Link is classically and canonically considered left-handed...he wasn't even really intended to be a rightie in TP.

But as for the Minish Cap thing, yeah, I don't think there's really any real continuity between the games. Each game is pretty much self-contained (except for OoT and Majora's Mask, which was a direct sequel).

Anyway, I don't think there's any real question as to whether or not it's fake: it's pretty obvious, to me at least.

I mean, seriously. In a real Zelda movie, that have to make Ganondorf look badass. In this, he just looked ridiculous. Plus, wouldn't it have actors listed if it were real?

Anyway, still an entertaining (and elaborate) joke by IGN.

Dihan
2008-04-01, 07:21 PM
But as for the Minish Cap thing, yeah, I don't think there's really any real continuity between the games. Each game is pretty much self-contained (except for OoT and Majora's Mask, which was a direct sequel).

Miyamoto has said that there is a timeline that the games follow, however the games are all released in a random order.

Some timeline theories can be found here (http://zeldawiki.org/Timeline#Popular_Timelines).

Sneak
2008-04-01, 07:36 PM
Miyamoto has said that there is a timeline that the games follow, however the games are all released in a random order.

Some timeline theories can be found here (http://zeldawiki.org/Timeline#Popular_Timelines).

Maybe that's true, but I'm pretty sure the Links and Zeldas in the different games are actual different people in different time periods of the same world with the same name. So although there technically is a continuity, each Link's actions doesn't affect any other Links.

If that makes sense.

Shas aia Toriia
2008-04-01, 07:47 PM
There should be no doubt in anyone's minds that this is fake, because in the description box next to it, and outright says "April Fools!"

TheLogman
2008-04-01, 07:56 PM
But that guy wasn't the person who made the movie, just one of the many who posted it. How should he know or not.

Of course, this is just my playing Devil's advocate and wanting to believe.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-01, 07:58 PM
Except Teh Ubar Link, also known as The Hero Of Time, from OoT and MM. It seems like, in any possible timeline, he was the original Link.

Little_Rudo
2008-04-01, 07:59 PM
Maybe that's true, but I'm pretty sure the Links and Zeldas in the different games are actual different people in different time periods of the same world with the same name. So although there technically is a continuity, each Link's actions doesn't affect any other Links.

If that makes sense.

That's the most common theory, and is pretty solid fanon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fanon), if not actual canon. Most people presume Ganon is the same monster who is sealed/resealed over time and the Zelda's are all descendants in the same royal line. Nobody's quite sure on Link; there's evidence to support that the Link's are descended from one another, that it works more like reincarnation, and/or that they're all descended from Hylian knights.

Regarding Minish Cap, most everyone places it as the first game, chronologically, because it shows how Link first gets the hat of his outfit. It's been awhile since I've played, but I believe it goes on to mention how the hat will be passed down or something... anyways, the implication is that Minish Cap is the game where Link completes the legendary green attire all Link's wear, so it's widely considered the first.

Speculation is fun!

Raroy
2008-04-01, 08:02 PM
Link needs to be played by a girl for him to look right. And I'd think nintendo has the wisdom to nip any buds of video game to movie ideas.

Serenity
2008-04-01, 08:41 PM
That was beautiful for joke. Almost enough to make me think that a distilled version of OoT could work...

webgem
2008-04-01, 09:17 PM
Woot! This is totally awesome, although it might get pushed back a bit. Things like this take a long time, maybe even April 1 2010, but either way this is too awesome not to be true because nobody would ever take a bunch of time to make an elaborate joke like this and hurt so many people. April makes me sad because people are always being mean, and this would make me cry.

Sneak
2008-04-01, 09:23 PM
Woot! This is totally awesome, although it might get pushed back a bit. Things like this take a long time, maybe even April 1 2010, but either way this is too awesome not to be true because nobody would ever take a bunch of time to make an elaborate joke like this and hurt so many people. April makes me sad because people are always being mean, and this would make me cry.

*hands tissue*

That's the most common theory, and is pretty solid fanon (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Fanon), if not actual canon. Most people presume Ganon is the same monster who is sealed/resealed over time and the Zelda's are all descendants in the same royal line. Nobody's quite sure on Link; there's evidence to support that the Link's are descended from one another, that it works more like reincarnation, and/or that they're all descended from Hylian knights.

Regarding Minish Cap, most everyone places it as the first game, chronologically, because it shows how Link first gets the hat of his outfit. It's been awhile since I've played, but I believe it goes on to mention how the hat will be passed down or something... anyways, the implication is that Minish Cap is the game where Link completes the legendary green attire all Link's wear, so it's widely considered the first.

Speculation is fun!

Yeah, that makes sense. I've never played Minish Cap, as I never owned a GBA, but I guess that makes sense too.

SolkaTruesilver
2008-04-01, 09:41 PM
Hum...

We might need Orlando Bloom to play link. But off course, he shan't say A WORD!

Sneak
2008-04-01, 09:48 PM
Ugh...Orlando Bloom?

I think it should be someone younger (no older than twenty, probably) and somewhat feminine. Can't think of anyone at the moment, but I just can't see Bloom as Link.

tyckspoon
2008-04-01, 09:57 PM
Ugh...Orlando Bloom?

I think it should be someone younger (no older than twenty, probably) and somewhat feminine. Can't think of anyone at the moment, but I just can't see Bloom as Link.

Leo DiCaprio from before he managed to convince people he was a Serious Actor and was mostly known for being a pretty blond.

Mewtarthio
2008-04-01, 10:06 PM

I figure that "Zelda" is a royal name, like "Charles" or "Henry," that all the princesses get stuck with. As for "Link": You can set the name whenever you play, so I figure "Link" is nothing more than the default name: The next great hero could be named "Link," "Fred," or "Ozymandias Veidt" as far as the Hylians know.

Tengu
2008-04-02, 02:46 AM
Link needs to be played by a girl for him to look right. And I'd think nintendo has the wisdom to nip any buds of video game to movie ideas.

Well, the best Link cosplayer is female... let's see can I dig up some pictures.

Shademan
2008-04-02, 04:36 AM
i highly doubt that Shigeru would ever allow a movie.

lamguin
2008-04-02, 08:48 AM
Sadly, fake.

Reason 1: Released on April 1.

Reason 2: Announced release date for the full movie: April 1.

Reason 3: http://www.rainfallfilms.com/showreel/ Lists, among other things they've done, the Zelda TRAILER. Not the Zelda movie. Trailer. So that's all there is.

Reason 4: IMDB has nothing on it. I could see wikipedia not having anything, but IMDB? Unlikely.

Which is all too bad, really. Because I think it looks friggin awesome. I'd pay money to go see it, and I really don't say that often. It looks like it could be a genuinely good Video Game Movie.

*sadpandaface*

Serenity
2008-04-02, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking it might be best to hypothetically give Link to an unknown. Ganondorf should so totally be Michael Clarke Duncan, though.

Little_Rudo
2008-04-02, 10:30 AM
I figure that "Zelda" is a royal name, like "Charles" or "Henry," that all the princesses get stuck with. As for "Link": You can set the name whenever you play, so I figure "Link" is nothing more than the default name: The next great hero could be named "Link," "Fred," or "Ozymandias Veidt" as far as the Hylians know.

According to Zelda II: Adventures of Link, all women in the royal family are named Zelda in honor of a Princess Zelda who was put under a sleeping spell by an evil magician. (In said game, you end up saving the original Zelda; most people place it at the end of their timelines.) As for Link, it's simply the default name people use for the green clad Hero of Time/Winds/Ages/Seasons/the Four Sword/MacGuffin.

Ugh, I've managed to avoid timeline discussions for years until now! Curse you, IGN!

atriusnight
2008-04-02, 01:25 PM
There should be no doubt in anyone's minds that this is fake, because in the description box next to it, and outright says "April Fools!"

Ah...Unless they are going for the double fool, Make you think it's a April fools gag......

Also, just because it's not listed anywhere yet doesn't mean a thing, look at the new Jackie Chan movie.....First I heard of it was a week or so ago......

Anyway, here's hoping....

Dragor
2008-04-02, 02:20 PM
Well, also on the Rainfall 'Projects' part, they did a nifty poster art for the 'movie'. It's a shame this isn't real, I kind of like it.

And which ever way you swing it, Link always looks goofy with his hat.

Oh, and looking deeper into the site, nowhere do they say this is an April Fools. It may be a genuine fan project and they were going for the 'double fool'- here's hoping? http://www.rainfallfilms.com/projects/zelda/

Hermit
2008-04-02, 02:43 PM
I notice the IGN page has had the following added at the bottom of the story:

[EDITOR'S NOTE: April 2, 2008 - 12:01 a.m. PST. Yup, you guessed it. The Legend of Zelda trailer featured above is part of an elaborate April Fool's Day prank. Check back in later today for more details on the IGN/Rainfall Films collaboration that resulted in this "love it or hate it" piece of videogame movie history.]

I suspect that clears up any ambiguity, though I'll be interested to see the details behind it.

Logic
2008-04-02, 04:24 PM
I knew it was a hoax, but I liked the trailer on the merits of it being a teaser trailer. It shows a bit of dramatic tension that is common to the games.

And as long as we are casting Link, I support Cillian Murphy. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0614165/)

Mewtarthio
2008-04-02, 05:10 PM
And as long as we are casting Link, I support Cillian Murphy. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0614165/)

No, Cillian Murphy's too... evil. Well, I haven't seen him outside of Red Eye and Batman Begins, so I suppose he might actually be quite good at playing people other than sociopathic, unnervingly logical, killers, but he's currently locked in my mind as "kinda creepy."

FoE
2008-04-05, 12:09 AM
No, Cillian Murphy's too... evil. Well, I haven't seen him outside of Red Eye and Batman Begins, so I suppose he might actually be quite good at playing people other than sociopathic, unnervingly logical, killers, but he's currently locked in my mind as "kinda creepy."

I'll say this: he doesn't make for a very convincing transsexual. :smalltongue:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/Cillian_Murphy_-_Brkft_on_Pluto.jpg

Jayngfet
2008-04-05, 10:53 PM
I'll say this: he doesn't make for a very convincing transsexual. :smalltongue:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a7/Cillian_Murphy_-_Brkft_on_Pluto.jpg

wich gender?

also, that was the greatest thing ever, I would pay triple fare just to get in.

FoE
2008-04-05, 10:54 PM
which gender?

Male-to-female.

Volug
2008-04-05, 11:08 PM
Just a note: They have a "Making of..." video on IGN, you can also download them both for free.

Which I just did:smallbiggrin: