PDA

View Full Version : Whats the range on permanency?

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-01, 08:16 PM
The spell permanency lists a range of See Text and has no range information in the text. So what is the range?

mostlyharmful
2008-04-01, 08:21 PM
Depends on the spell it's being applied to, it's always been a special case that alters anouther spell rather than stands alone so just use whatever details you have to of the focus spell and fudge the question marks.

Nebo_
2008-04-01, 08:23 PM
Probably the range of the spell you're applying permanency to.

senrath
2008-04-01, 08:23 PM
To quote the spell:

You cast the desired spell and then follow it with the permanency spell.

So I'd assume permanency has a range equal to whatever spell you're casting.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-01, 08:24 PM
Depends on the spell it's being applied to, it's always been a special case that alters anouther spell rather than stands alone so just use whatever details you have to of the focus spell and fudge the question marks.

You sure? And if so, sweet. It's a valid target for Chain Spell. Pay the XP cost once and get 20 permanencies.

mostlyharmful
2008-04-01, 08:25 PM
You sure? And if so, sweet. It's a valid target for Chain Spell. Pay the XP cost once and get 20 permanencies.

Yes. Chain is just that dumb ass thought out at times. Ok, If I were a DM rocks would fall but RAW yes.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-01, 08:43 PM
Yes. Chain is just that dumb ass thought out at times. Ok, If I were a DM rocks would fall but RAW yes.

Too bad you can't chain wish.

Chronos
2008-04-01, 08:46 PM
I'm not certain that Chain would work, though... As I read it, you have to cast the Permanency immediately after the spell to be affected. So if you cast, say, Arcane Sight on yourself, and then Reduce Person, it's too late to permanency the Arcane Sight.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-01, 08:46 PM
Too bad you can't chain wish.Says who? Archmage High Arcana Reach+Rod of Chain=+5 to all of your teammate's stats.

And falling rocks, but eh.

Chosen_of_Vecna
2008-04-01, 09:18 PM
I'm not certain that Chain would work, though... As I read it, you have to cast the Permanency immediately after the spell to be affected. So if you cast, say, Arcane Sight on yourself, and then Reduce Person, it's too late to permanency the Arcane Sight.

And what exactly does that have to do with casting a Chained X followed by a Chained Permanency?

Chronos
2008-04-01, 09:26 PM
Ah, OK, I was thinking trying to put multiple buffs on yourself, not putting one buff on everyone in your party. That should work.

What happens if one of the Permanencies gets dispelled? Are they all one spell (and thus the others are dispelled, too), or many?