PDA

View Full Version : Druid Gear

Kyeudo
2008-04-01, 09:49 PM
I feel kind of noobish asking this, but what is good Core gear for a druid?

I can optimize pretty much everything else, but Wild Shape throws me for a loop when it comes to picking gear. Since the druid's main combat ability takes away all their gear, I feel like the standard items to spend money on just don't seem important enough for someone who's going to be a bear most of the time.

SadisticFishing
2008-04-01, 09:52 PM
If you're allowed MIC, Wilding Clasps solve all your problems. You're not though. :P

Wild Armor is good, Ioun Stones are good... But, you can just get wondrous items that fit in animal form, get some way to grab Tongues (I'm sure there's one somewhere), and just stay in animal form all the time.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-04-01, 09:53 PM
Unless you have the MIC, there isn't much. According to the Wildshape Errata, you can drop your gear and put it on after you shift, but that only is useful on some gear. If the game is above level 6, Buy a Periapt of Wisdom and a Cloak of Resistance, then you're good. With the MIC you get a lot more options, but till then, only take stuff you can use in all forms or just save the cash for a rainy day.

Also, give your Animal Companion enchanted armor. Just because you can. :smallbiggrin:

tyckspoon
2008-04-01, 10:04 PM
General spellcaster stuff will still serve you well; Pearls of Power for re-casting any buffs you know you want to use a lot (like a Barkskin and a [Greater] Magic Fang for yourself and your animal companion), scrolls or wands of spells that are useful but not useful enough to stick in your normal preparation routine, metamagic rods. Extend is particularly useful for making sure a buff lasts long enough to be useful while you still have a low caster level.

Kyeudo
2008-04-01, 10:11 PM
General spellcaster stuff will still serve you well; Pearls of Power for re-casting any buffs you know you want to use a lot (like a Barkskin and a [Greater] Magic Fang for yourself and your animal companion), scrolls or wands of spells that are useful but not useful enough to stick in your normal preparation routine, metamagic rods. Extend is particularly useful for making sure a buff lasts long enough to be useful while you still have a low caster level.

Ah, I see. I somehow forgot about Metamagic Rods. Been a while since I made my last fully optimized caster, I guess.

Chronos
2008-04-01, 10:24 PM
Also don't forget a tome to increase Wis, if you're high enough level to afford one.

Paul H
2008-04-02, 04:19 AM
Hi

Depends on what books you're allowed. The MIC's already been mentioned. There's a special armour mod that allows you to use an extra wildshape to keep your armour whatever shape you take.

Otherwise get a set of specially modded Rhino Hide. (Just add 3 x cost of basic hide armour). this will add more damage when you hit after a charge. With Lion's Pounce (swift spell, SpC) you can still make full attack after a charge!

Cheers
Paul H

Edited: spelling.

Armads
2008-04-02, 04:40 AM
the druid's vestments is pretty good, especially for earlier levels, if you're short on wild shape uses.

Lucyfur
2008-04-02, 08:23 AM
Druid is still the strongest core class even without items.

Miraqariftsky
2008-04-02, 08:29 AM
Items that boost Str and Wis would be most welcome, would they not?

streakster
2008-04-02, 08:38 AM
Vow of Poverty. Who needs items?