PDA

View Full Version : Games like these ...

Nuok
2008-04-02, 01:48 AM
I recently dropped out of the pay to play mmo world (best thing I ever did frankly), and have been exploring the single player game scene.

At the moment I have Fable LC, Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition, and Pirates! loaded and enjoy each one. Also Team Fortress Two and Peggle.

So, I was wondering if anyone could suggest games similar to these? I would appreciate any thoughts, as it occurs to me that single player games have endings, which isn't so bad, just something I am not used to; and that after I beat them I will want to move on.

So, again, thank you!

Blayze
2008-04-02, 04:30 AM
Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, Portal, Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, Jagged Alliance 2, Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, A Link to the Past, Super Mario World and the entire Ace Attorney series (Trust me. They're not all like the examples you posted, but they're damn good games).

Hey, you never said PC games only. :P

Sensate
2008-04-02, 05:07 AM
These aren't really comparable to Fable and Pirates! (meaning they're way better), but how do you know these aren't your favorite games waiting to be discovered?: Baldur's Gate I and II, Icewind Dale I and II and Planescape: Torment are my favorite games. They are cRPGs different than those you've mentioned though.

The Elder Scrolls are about halwfay between a serious RPG and Fable, and are also great.

Gothic I and II aren't very popular and are a bit aged, but are still some of the best games I've played.

Cainen
2008-04-02, 05:14 AM
Planescape:Torment is probably the best single-player game in existence, if depth is what you're going for. The closest analogue would be Neverwinter Nights, but it's a huge stretch - it's more like Neverwinter Nights in a 'weird' setting and with different priorities. A smart PC is going to outrun a brute-force PC by miles as far as the plot's concerned, but either are very valid ways to play; most combat in the game can be avoided, and dialogue is the most important part of the game. A smart and charismatic PC will be able to avoid all but the most inevitable fights, and a sneaky PC along with that will mean he can bypass the random hostiles. It's a very interesting game, and I suggest you track it down and try it if only to see how different RPGs can be.

Baldur's Gate II is a lot closer to NWN in playstyle, but it's better than it in many ways. It uses 2E, though it makes the rules clearer.

And, of course, I can't go without suggesting Deus Ex. It's an FPS with heavy RPG elements, and it gives you a literal ton of ways to play the game. Sure, some of them are because the AI is extremely dumb a lot of the time, but it's mostly irrelevant.

toysailor
2008-04-02, 05:24 AM
If you didn't like PTP MMOs like WoW or whatever, how bout trying Guild Wars? Its a one-off payment, so its not unlike actually buying a new single player game.

ghost_warlock
2008-04-03, 05:19 AM
Fallout and Fallout 2 get my votes for games to try. Fallout 3 is finally coming out this fall, too. :smallbiggrin: