PDA

View Full Version : Implosion More Useful Than I Thought?

Thrawn183
2008-04-02, 12:27 PM
So, I've been trying to remake my high level Cleric into a high level Favored Soul, for many reasons which aren't important to this thread, and upon glancing at Implosion which I usually discount as being fairly weak for a 9th level spell I realized that it isn't described as a death effect.

Now, I would normally discount this as a simple error but when I look at the target discriptor line it reads, "Targets: One corporeal creature/round."

If my interpretation is correct, then Implosion would actually work on undead, and some constructs (those unlike Iron Golems) being an evocation spell rather than necromancy. I think it would work on almost everything except ghost/wraith types and golems now that I think a bit harder...

NEO|Phyte
2008-04-02, 12:31 PM
Sadly, they're still immune, given that its a fort save, which they're immune to (as its not harmless/targetable on objects)

Starbuck_II
2008-04-02, 12:38 PM
So, I've been trying to remake my high level Cleric into a high level Favored Soul, for many reasons which aren't important to this thread, and upon glancing at Implosion which I usually discount as being fairly weak for a 9th level spell I realized that it isn't described as a death effect.

Now, I would normally discount this as a simple error but when I look at the target discriptor line it reads, "Targets: One corporeal creature/round."

If my interpretation is correct, then Implosion would actually work on undead, and some constructs (those unlike Iron Golems) being an evocation spell rather than necromancy. I think it would work on almost everything except ghost/wraith types and golems now that I think a bit harder...

Yes, Clerics are pretty strong.

And Necromancy non-death effect tagged Death effects do exist, but rarely than death effect ones.
So Implosion is non-Death tagged, only thing is the whole 1/round. And a single creature only targeted once per casting.

Animefunkmaster
2008-04-02, 12:57 PM
You know, you have to feel by RAI this should work on undead and constructs... if you can somehow rule layer an object is a creature (without it being a construct) then you might have a case. But it still feels like it should work. On the plus side it does work on all those who have buffed up with say, death ward. And this is also one of the funnier things to do to an ooze.

Craig1f
2008-04-02, 01:29 PM
This one really is confusing, since undead tend to be immune to anything with Fort saves, unless it also works on objects.

But when you implode something, it's going to HURT. Period. I don't understand why you can't target objects with this spell to begin with.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-02, 01:33 PM
Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).

That looks pretty clear (and airtight). The spell affects only creatures, not objects. Thus, it does not affect undead or constructs.

Thrawn183
2008-04-02, 01:34 PM
Eh, guess I'll just talk to my DM ahead of time. I'd forgotten the whole undead immune to fort effects unless they effect objects thing.

(Though I agree that it feels like it should work even if it doesn't by RAW :smallwink: )

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-02, 01:39 PM
(Though I agree that it feels like it should work even if it doesn't by RAW :smallwink: )

That seems to apply equally to destruction and a bunch of spells from other books. It'd get awfully hard to keep track of.

Telonius
2008-04-02, 01:53 PM
Note that it would affect Living Constructs like Warforged. Happened to my party once. The DM described the Warforged in question as looking like a "crumpled tin can."

CthulhuM
2008-04-02, 03:18 PM
Implosion is still nice in that it can take out death-warded people and such. It also gets pretty cheesy if you combine it with Sonorous Hum, though that's kinda hard for a cleric/favored soul.