PDA

View Full Version : Good songs

SilentNight
2008-04-02, 07:16 PM
So, I find myself with about $45( even amatuer jazz musicians get paid some :smallbiggrin: ) worth of i-tunes gift cards after buying most of the songs I can think of. So I was hoping that you lot in the playground could give me some song names to test out. I like jazz, rock and reggae mostly.

Just a few of the artists I listen to:
Rush
Chick Corea
Steve Turre
Charles Mingus
Lucky Dube
AC/DC

Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

DraPrime
2008-04-02, 07:31 PM
Hmmmm, I'll recommends some awesome AC/DC songs, but odds are you've probably heard most of them.

Thunderstruck
Back in Black
It's a Long Way to the Top (If you wanna Rock and Roll)
Highway to Hell
You shook me All Night Long
Highway to Hell
TNT
Money Talks

I think you might also like Gun 'n Roses with songs such as:

Sweet Child 'o' Mine
Paradise City
Welcome to the Jungle
November Rain

And for pure hilarity listen to Maxwell's Silver Hammer by the Beatles. It's loaded with black humor.

Gaelbert
2008-04-02, 07:41 PM
Classic r0xx0r, eh?

Guns N' Roses:
Night Train
Knocking on Heaven's Doors

AC/DC:
Anything dragonprime said, plus Hells Bells.

Aerosmith:
Dream On

Black Sabbath:
Paranoid
Iron Man

Eric Johnson:
Cliffs of Dover

Eric Clapton:
Lady In Red
Layla
Wonderful Tonight

Animals:
House of the Rising Sun

Kansas:
Carry On Wayward Son
Dust In the Wind
Point of Know Return
Fight Fire with Fire

Angelic Upstarts:
Soliditary
I can go on and on. Can you list a few more artists, SilentNight?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-04-02, 07:54 PM
I definetely recommend getting G' N' R, but get the full pack. That is, Welcome to the jungle, knockin', don't cry, estranged, november rain, Sweet child, and paradise city.

Of course, some Led Zepp and Freebird are musts.

Dream On and Walk This way from Aerosmith are amazing, and I recommend them. As I do with Cryin', Crazy, and Amazing, but you need them as a trilogy.

If you at all can, get Pink Floyd's Wish you were here album in it's entirety (I was going to recommend Dark Side of The Moon because it has The Great Gig in the sky, which is epic win on keyboards, but Wish has something better). SOYCD Is a song that must be in ANY list, it's too awesome to pass up.

It also NEED MOAR LOL...I mean, needs more Jethro Tull. Aqualung and Thick as a Brick have really good songs. And King Crimson. Get some King Crimson.

And finally, make sure you get Genesis' The Lamb Lies down on broadway. If you can't get the whole album, get the song. That keyboard into is too good to be true.

Sewer_Bandito
2008-04-02, 08:31 PM
If you like reggae, I'd strongly recommend Slightly Stoopid. Live and Direct Acoustic Roots is a good place to start.

SilentNight
2008-04-02, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the songs.
@dragonprime, i-tunes seems to have an AC/DC and Beatles deficiency, when I tried to get back in black before, the best I could find was the Living Colour version( which was still good but not the original).

Some more artists I like
The Beatles (sadly I-tunes doesn't have any of their songs somehow.)
The blue man group( some of their stuff like Above and Time to Start)
Wayne Wallace

THe rest escape me, perhaps this will help

Single songs I like far more than the rest of the artist's work.
Renegade(styx)
Battery(metallica)
E-Pro(Beck)
Rhapsody in Blue

Thanks and sorry in advance for the vaugeness.

Semidi
2008-04-02, 11:13 PM
Check out Deep Purple:
Hush, Child in Time, Burn, Smoke on the Water, Speed King, and Black Night are gems.

Creedance Clearwater Revival:
Suzie Q, Fortunate Son, Born on the Bayou, and Bad Moon Rising.

Cream:
White Room and Sunshine of Your Love. I wish I could tell you more, but I need more Cream too.

Black Sabbath:
The Black Sabbath Album, The Paranoid Album.

Candle Box:
Don't You, Simple Lessons

Since you like Battery try:

Ace of Spades - Motorhead
Drug Against War - KMFDM

Both have a similar guitar pulse with the drum thing going on if that's what you dig.

Nibleswick
2008-04-03, 12:05 AM
Well recently I've been listening to a good deal of Johnathan Coulton (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jonathan+coulton&search_type=), strange but good.

Johnny Cash is always good, so is Harry Nilsson.

Gaelbert
2008-04-04, 11:20 PM
The album Stadium Arcadium by the Red Hot Chili Peppers is good.
And another vote for Thunderstruck by AC/DC.

lothofkalroth
2008-04-05, 12:54 AM
you should try some Sublime if you're into reggae and rock, i would reccomend 40 oz. to freedom, Sublime (self titled), or robbin' the hood

DraPrime
2008-04-05, 09:51 AM
If you're interested to listening to some heavier stuff try listening to the Number of the Beast album by Iron Maiden. Screaming for Vengeance is a good Judas Priest album. Nightfall in Middle Earth is also a very good album for anyone who wants to get into heavy metal.

Moff Chumley
2008-04-05, 12:45 PM
De Facto (http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=26212975). A mixture of Free Jazz, acid rock, progressive, and dub. Instrumental, grooving, technically brilliant. If you really like these guys, check out The Mars Volta (http://www.myspace.com/themarsvolta), with same musicians. (They're playing different instruments, but whatever.) One of the most amazing, shocking, and brilliant bands out there.

If your a fan of Jazz Trio music, I cannot reccomend you any higher than The Crimson Jazz Trio. Great musicians, playing the work of the best band of all time, King Crimson (Which isn't on iTunes. :mad:).

And of course, Spock's Beard (http://www.myspace.com/spocksbeard). The most under-appreciated band of all time. They have the best vocals, the most interesting compositions, and the most interesting sound in all of Rock Music. This is not an exaggeration.

feghoot
2008-04-05, 07:55 PM
The Rolling Stones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_rolling_stones) gather no moss.

SilentNight
2008-04-08, 09:31 AM
If your a fan of Jazz Trio music, I cannot reccomend you any higher than The Crimson Jazz Trio. Great musicians, playing the work of the best band of all time, King Crimson (Which isn't on iTunes. :mad:).

And of course, Spock's Beard (http://www.myspace.com/spocksbeard). The most under-appreciated band of all time. They have the best vocals, the most interesting compositions, and the most interesting sound in all of Rock Music. This is not an exaggeration.
I couldn't find the music links for Defacto and Spock's Beard. I didn't like Mars Volta but THe Crimson trio is freakin' genius. I love them, thanks.

Also deep purple is excellent:smallbiggrin: total thumbs up. Thanks to you all for the great ideas.

Moff Chumley
2008-04-08, 09:53 PM
Suppose you could try googling "myspace spock's beard".
Or look them up on iTunes.

Three of a Perfect Pair and Red (and Starless) are probably the two best jazz songs I've heard, despite the fact that they're actually electro-new wave (ToaPP) and Prog Metal (Red). Also Talk to the Wind. And, of course, the great Schizoid Man. (Did you buy the album? If so, I highly recommend buying the originals. Also, I'm sad to say that there wont be a sequal, as the drummer and founder died last year.) :frown:

I will also admit that TMV is a bit... out there...

Also, check out Chris Squire, Patrick Moraz, Tony Levin, and Bill Bruford solo stuff. Esspecialy Chris Squire's Lucky Seven, witch also features Moraz and Bruford.

SilentNight
2008-04-08, 10:15 PM
I didn't buy the songbook but I bought the seven available other tracks. Sad about the drummer.:smallfrown: Do you know the cause of death? Spock's beard seems good but I'll have to check them out a bit more before I buy their songs. The good/bad news is that I'm down to $14.:smallsmile: :smallfrown: :smallconfused:

Moff Chumley
2008-04-09, 07:54 PM
Drummer died of disease, I believe. (He's been making records since '69)

As for Spock's Beard, I shall recommend you their best songs (Under 10 minutes):
June: Acoustic guitar and four voices. Seriously awesome, check it out on Youtube.
Mouth of Madness: This song proves that this band is easily on par with the 60's and 70's rock greats. Also on Youtube.
Thoughts, Part II: Some of the best vocal and instrumental interplay recorded.
Goodbye to Yesterday: Most relaxing song evar.
The entire suite As Far as the Mind Can See: More prog goodness.
Almost any song off of Snow, depending on preference. If you buy any individual album, buy Snow. It will change the way you view music. Seriously. It's like Tommy, but better in every respect.

Jorkens
2008-04-09, 09:45 PM
What kind of reggae are you interested in, and what have you already got?

The Extinguisher
2008-04-09, 10:17 PM
Anything post-rock. Anything. Pick a post-rock band and song, and it will be amazing.

Need something actually concrete? Try "A Tender History in Rust" by Do Make Say Think (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYRwE9HPgpM)

SilentNight
2008-04-09, 10:19 PM
I Like the softer stuff mostly. I have some Bob Marely and Lucky Dube who is my favorite by far. Yellow man is okay and apart form that I don't know.

Felizginato12
2008-04-09, 10:30 PM
Hmm...you did say you like jazz right? I saw that word use here and there but if i'm wrong just ignore this.

A Love Supreme by John Coltrane is an amazing jazz album. Regarded as one of the best.

For a newer take on jazz try Radiohead. Kid A and Amnesiac experiment with jazz, electronic, classical orchestration, and slight alternative rock roots. It may be a bit abstract but good albums if you can work your way through them a few times.

For classic rock...well there is just too much. Feel free to send me a personal message with a few classic rock (60 and 70s) bands you are interested in if you want a list of some of their best songs.

The only one I have seen mentioned so far (though I just hurried over this thread) that I am more familiar with is Aerosmith.

Mama Kin, Same Old Song And Dance, Seasons of Wither, Last Child, Adam's Apple, Train Kept a Rollin...all of my favorites by them. Basically I suggest their first...let me think...four albums? Aerosmith, Get Your Wings, Toys in The Attic, and Rocks are by far their best. After that it gets iffy. Late 80s stuff is a bit too "sellout" for my tastes (Permanent Vacation and Get A Grip namely).

Anything between these two periods is lackluster since the band was facing personal problems.

Jorkens
2008-04-24, 06:39 PM
I Like the softer stuff mostly. I have some Bob Marely and Lucky Dube who is my favorite by far. Yellow man is okay and apart form that I don't know.
I mainly know older stuff, but in that sort of vein I'd recommend Peter Tosh (one of the original Wailers), Max Romeo, Jimmy Cliff, Burning Spear, Toots and the Maytals, Culture, the Congos and Desmond Dekker for starters...

Oh, and speaking of jazz, Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, In a Silent Way and Bitches' Brew are pretty essential imo.

Popping12ock
2008-05-07, 03:46 PM
Some I good songs I like

Sublime - Bad Fish
David Guetta - The world is mine
Micheal Buble - Home
Rose Rossi - Hello To You (Nice song)myspace.com/roserossi
Keaton Simons - Everthing is better myspace.com/keatonsimons
Tasmin Archer - Satellite
Tiesto fest Julie Thompson - Somewhere inside of me

Ceska
2008-05-07, 11:37 PM
Cream:
White Room and Sunshine of Your Love. I wish I could tell you more, but I need more Cream too.
Not mentioning Spoonful is a heresy I cannot let pass.
CCR I'd add Have You Ever Seen The Rain, because I personally love it, for Deep Purple, the whole "Made in Japan" album is great.
For Cream, I'd also add Take It Back, I'm So Glad, Toad, Rollin' And Tumblin', Dance the Night Away, I Feel Free, Sitting On Top Of The World, Politician, Born Under A Bad Sign and Badge. But as you can see I own all their albums and with Cream, I'm more of an album person. I prefer to listen to all of their albums instead of just songs.

Arlion
2008-05-09, 10:25 PM
A few songs of sumo:waiting for 1989,regee de paz y amor,la rubia tarada,ultraviolento,mejor no hablar de ciertas cosas

i would normally recomend Pink Floyd:the wall,but its better to hear the whole album

SilentNight
2008-05-09, 11:35 PM
Sorry to say but I'm out of cash. Still, thanks to you three. I'll probably pick up some more Deep Purple at Amoeba (my local-ish record store) as my current Purple playlist consists of Burn, Black Night and Smoke on the Water.