PDA

View Full Version : Need some LG in here for Judges.

Gamgee
2008-04-02, 09:00 PM
Okay well I have recently let my friend try and DM a campaign... I feel it is a big mistake in hindsight. However I want to know if what he did is actually bad or if I deserved it. Now on to the story of most crazed insanity.

Well the game is at session two, one guy doesn't show up so the DM decides it will be a nothing is happening game and no killing. Me being bored from last session with no killing and hardly anything... half the time people talked about other things and didn't really play. Now I want to play a game really bad at this point. I am of course a dwarf wizard at level 4 and specialized in evocation giving me more destructive spells. Of course the DM decided that we were going in, so I prepared all destruction spells and only a few other spells. Then he announces nothing is going to really happen this session.

A few minutes pass and I ask someone in the tavern if they know of any shady bars. I got a 10 in total, not a bad roll for a Wizard, I didn't expect the best bar in the world but what the hell anything better than this. So when I arrive at the bar the Dm makes it into a gay BDSM bar... yea... so of course my wizard is pissed off and so am I. I also gave the commoner gold for the tip as well...

So I head back to the bar, and I acted out an enraged jackass by blasting the nearest peasant to death with a scorching ray and then demanding the bastard come out and talk. I was expecting trouble, anything better than this at that point.

Well the wife runs off to go get guards, they appear in one round he claims there was five of them loitering outside the door.... so I asked if there was a back door out and he says yes. I tell him I run for the door, suddenly it isn't a back door out but a door into the VIP.... and then two bouncers attack me and grapple me to the ground. I manage to get off a few spells and fry some guards. My idiot friend decides to help them and tries to shoot me in the head with an arrow and keep in mind he is a little kid and normally is the one who goes in and lops off heads for no reason so it is in a twisted way his rare act of good.

So I give up, can't fight all the guards oh and a few more showed up so it was impossible numbers. Then he hauls me off, he also takes the my friend away... for trying to do good. All he did was miss and hit the back wall but that was apparently "threatening" civilians. He also agreed with me that he was trying to do good but could not allow him to shoot an arrow at a bad guy in a bar so he is hauled off to.

When I DM they all do stuff like this and I am very lenient. Hell I practically let them walk out of jail unless its a specific reason why they are in there aka quest or planned ect. So I am in jail, now the Dm decides that the proper punishment is to strip us naked.... take EVERY last bit of our equipment, put us in diapers and let us walk out into the dessert.... I hardly see this as fair I mean I did have a ranger with me that being the guy who fired the arrow.

So he kicks us out... just like that. Then my friend hides himself as a tree with a spell and tries to trick people just to be done. Suddenly the people going in the gates aka peasants have axes!!! They think he is a tree and start swinging. My friend the DM claiming wood is expensive... but the people just popped out of nowhere with axes... not fair at all.

That took an hour, one swift hour.... also he made me use up all my spells by sending fodder at us or making us use them. He won't give me back any items nope I have to leave and go wander the dessert with McIdiot the ranger who didn't put skills in survival....

So he decides to be nice and we stumble upon a tribe of people in the dessert. They are hostile... ooo goodie this is fun with no spells or other handy skills. I manage to bluff my way in claiming I am a cleric. They take me to another town where they request I make medicine to heal people. I was about to fight but my friend just told me... "They are level 15, I wouldn't bother" a whole tribe of level 15 whatever classes they were. So after a night in the other city I try stealing robes... nope the DM has it well covered with guards at EVERY stall.... so I ingeniously think of raiding cloth lines.... I of course get only lice ridden cloths.... the DM suggests I wear them or the old ****y tattered robe he gave me way back. After spending the ngiht in this town I can't live out my bluff because I am poor, oh wait I forgot the DM gave me 2 copper pieces he said I needed SOMETHING to buy the magic items with to make a healing spell.... I obviously came as close to buying things as I was having fiath that this was fun.

So we leave town me and the other guy and the npc guide. We tried to kill him but he managed to outrun a riding dog moving at 40ft while he only ran at 30ft.... then a sandstorm came and killed my friend. The third player aka jackass who ditched us and just watched us the whole game and laughed did nothing he wasn't there oh no he had a horse and all the gold and everything... ****ing ass and he still wouldn't help us not even OOC. Also this ass is a "co dm" at this point I yell in real life this is pointless we are gonna die and of course the DM took my suggestion and killed my friend. I woke up on the side of a caravan path where some peasants found me and helped me.

The first chance they get they meet ******* friend riding by on a horse for an "important mission" he gets one and we didn't... well the DM wants him to take me with him but of course being in lice ridden clothing, an old tattered robe, and being sunburnt he didn't recognize me or so he claimed and off he went laughing... so I finally get back to town and the DM still won't give me anything back.

I try everything from thinking to bluff my way in. Finally I ask why my Cat couldn't go in and get my ring back at least. He said my cat could go in.... I asked him why he didn't say that several hours ago in session time before all this BS happened. I also forgot to mention that before my friend turned into a tree I sent my cat back into the city to try get my ring it was "impossible" then. So finally I get my ring back but I am still useless as no spells. I ask for my other things back and he tells me I have to work for them and go on a mission.

At this point I think he is a total douche bag, I mean what can a wizard possible do with no money, equipment, or spells? Make his cat dance for money? The wizards guild wouldn't give me anything. Finally out of charity he said the guild would give me a book and he said this exactly "Fine if the damn book means that much to you have one!!!" THis guy is fully aware wizards need them... so I have no idea why he was acting like such an ass. In total I caused one hour of mayhem in real life, he caused... six hours of none stop bull****.

I just have to rant about the stupidity of it all, I am of course leaving out a lot of other ******* things he did but that is the gist of it. So who was right? Me or him? I also admited I acted like an idiot the first hour of game time, but can you blame me? I mean he told me we would do stuff and then we didn't but Mc******* over there gets a quest & XP.

Also I ended the session when I realized I was begging for my book back and just ripped my character sheet to pieces. He claims I am mad just because things are not going my way... regardless of what people say here that ******* is getting it when I started DMing again.

Nohwl
2008-04-02, 09:09 PM
make a written copy of everything he says. make sure he agrees with it right after he says it too. when he contradicts himself, or does something that makes no sense, point it out.

also make sure to do much worse to him whenever you dm again.

Ascension
2008-04-02, 09:14 PM
Personally I think there were a heck of a lot of mistakes made on all sides by all parties. It would be best for the game if you just wrote the whole session out as a dream sequence or a non-canonical side story or something and tried again, with everyone making an effort to be sane for a while.

Under ordinary circumstances I could understand the DM's aggravation at random NPC slaughter, but really, ANY sort of BDSM bar is TOTALLY out of place in any sort of standard fantasy setting, and so he was obviously trying to bait you into doing something stupid. Everything that follows is just a comedy of errors and petty oneupmanship as the two of you struggle for control of the game. Like I said, just pretend it never happened and start over.

Toliudar
2008-04-02, 09:30 PM
I think a lot of how unreasonable the GM's reaction was depends on the nature of the dessert. Ice cream, gelato - your wizard is going to freeze to death in that, wearing nothing but diapers. But if he threw you into something milder - a cream pie, for instance - then it's not so serious a sentence.

[/stupidity]

Instead of rolling with the gay bar thing, or just going on to try for a different plot hook, you killed a guy. This is where it goes off the rails, from my perspective. I can't pretend to understand why a GM would declare a "nothing happening" session: if you're going to play, PLAY; otherwise, put on a movie or pull out cards. But lots of jackassery on both sides in this one. Roll a new character, talk to the guy out of game, see if things can get better.

Oh, wait. I just read your last sentence again. Doesn't matter what I say here. Ah well. Best of luck!

Zincorium
2008-04-02, 09:42 PM
Reading this, I gotta say I'm so very very glad I'm not 12 years old anymore. Not that the OP is 12, but that was the last point in my life when I'd continue playing along in a game this utterly bad.

Kinda feel sorry for the one guy who got hit by the crossfire.

Gamgee
2008-04-02, 10:42 PM
Thank god this was a trial run with him as DM.... also for the record I did agree I was being a jackass, the DM thinks he was being a saint... Also yea I feel sorry for my friend getting caught in the crossfire... usually its someone else getting caught in his...

Tsotha-lanti
2008-04-03, 12:31 AM
That was a painful read, but this was the worst part:

that ******* is getting it when I started DMing again.

You should never DM. Then again, neither should your friend, obviously. And you're both wrong.

As always in these situations, the only sensible course of action is to talk to the other person about the problem.

Emperor Tippy
2008-04-03, 01:19 AM
Can I get a second for all around stupidity?

All I can say is that if you were in one of my games with a level 4 dwarven evoker and you randomly blasted a peasant you would be dead inside of minutes. Then I would have you role up a new character, preferably a more intelligent one with a reasonable personality and a non Chaotic Evil alignment.

Xuincherguixe
2008-04-03, 01:55 AM
Yeah, seems to me that there was just a lot of stupidity all around.

Escalating revenge never goes anywhere good.

If he didn't want any combat, you should have just rolled with it. But let the guy know that you really wanted to murder something brutally. (Psychopaths are fun to play! Just make sure not to ruin anyone else's fun)

Both of you handled the situation poorly. But hey, mistakes happen. Look at this as a learning experience.

Nebo_
2008-04-03, 02:00 AM
Oh, get revenge on him, that's sure to make things better!

Khanderas
2008-04-03, 04:11 AM
Can I get a second for all around stupidity?

All I can say is that if you were in one of my games with a level 4 dwarven evoker and you randomly blasted a peasant you would be dead inside of minutes. Then I would have you role up a new character, preferably a more intelligent one with a reasonable personality and a non Chaotic Evil alignment.
Agreed. Multiple cold blooded murder inside city limits would NOT result in a simple banishment.
Triple so for a caster (who cannot as easily be put in jail).