PDA

View Full Version : Combat Expertise

ladditude
2008-04-02, 11:39 PM
Is their a feat that one can substitute for Combat Expertise in order to qualify for Improved Trip, etc.

I know Evasive Reflexes can substitute for Combat Reflexes, and there are also abilities to substitute for Weapon Finesse and Power Attack, but is their one for Combat Expertise?

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-03, 12:32 AM
Not that I am aware of in Core D&D. In Monte Cooke's Arcana Evolved, Improved Unarmed Strike is used instead as the Improved Trip prereq, so I have houseruled that either will work in my games.

CockroachTeaParty
2008-04-03, 02:12 AM
Is there a feat that lets one use their STR modifier as extra AoO with Combat Expertise? That would be awesome for low DEX builds that you still would like to be AoO monkeys.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-03, 02:59 AM
Do you mean Combat Reflexes? Also, I find that doubtful. Strength and Reflexes aren't really related.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-03, 04:16 AM
Do you mean Combat Reflexes? Also, I find that doubtful. Strength and Reflexes aren't really related.

No, but WOTC has published plenty of feats that let you use a completely unrelated ability for whatever action. I believe their rule is "one feat lets you substitute one ability modifier for another for one particular kind of action, regardless of whether this has any basis in real life".

So mechanically, tack on an extra feat for this and you're not likely to overpower your build.

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-03, 04:54 AM
Do you mean Combat Reflexes? Also, I find that doubtful. Strength and Reflexes aren't really related. And I also do not recall any such feat.

Very well then, I will correct my own quote. That is what I really meant to say.

Person_Man
2008-04-03, 10:07 AM
No.

But a Wolf Totem Barbarian or Hand and Foot Monk (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedCoreClass.html)can get Improved Trip as a bonus feat, which means you don't need Combat Expertise to get it.

Ascension
2008-04-03, 10:26 AM
No, but WOTC has published plenty of feats that let you use a completely unrelated ability for whatever action. I believe their rule is "one feat lets you substitute one ability modifier for another for one particular kind of action, regardless of whether this has any basis in real life".

Hey! All those clumsy archers who use their Zen wisdom to hit the target anyway take exception to you calling them unrealistic!

Seriously though, I would say Weapon Finesse and Force of Personality are logical. The rest are kind of silly.