PDA

View Full Version : Making a CoDzilla PCgen only

koldstare
2008-04-02, 11:39 PM
I'm making a cleric for a low level (2 to start) that will most likely go beyond 20th and I want to make a CoDzilla that is SRD only(basically if you can use PCgen to make it its legal) I got the DM to allow Divine Metamagic so there is that cheese availible.

Planned Build
I was thinking along the lines of an elf(for flavor reasons) Cleric 9/Loremaster 4/Hierophant 1/Loremaster 6
For a final build of CL 19 with Divine Reach
Stats
17,14,13,12,10,8 static everyone gets the same set of stats.
so
STR 10. DEX 8, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 17, CHA 13
after Elf mods
STR 10. DEX10, CON 10, INT 14, WIS 17, CHA 13

I dont really need high physical stats with the buffs I will be giving myself as a CoDzilla so I went with average physical stats. There are some pretty hefty knowledge requirements for Loremaster so I think I need the INT at 14 so I can get 4 skill points a level. Also, I don't want to lose concentration and Spellcraft if I don't have to.

I know I will need all the turning I can get to power Divine Metamagic, does elemental turning apply to divine metamagic?

Also, how can i get more turning, other than increasing my CHA/Improved Turning?

Finally, what Items would be useful for this character as I progress?

Thank you so much for reading my semi-coherent post, and to those who would help me please remember it is (mostly) SRD/PCgen only so no splatbooks. Thanks again

Chronos
2008-04-03, 12:09 AM
Does PCgen include the Cloistered Cleric variant from Unearthed Arcana? Going straight Cloistered Cleric is almost completely superior to Cleric + Loremaster. The base class gives you 6 skill points, Lore, Knowledge as a bonus domain, and a few extra/reduced level spells on your list. In exchange, you have a smaller HD (no worse, overall, than having half your levels in Loremaster), proficiency with only light armor (but you can pick up the feats for medium and heavy, if you really want them), and poor BAB (which won't matter when you cast Divine Power).

koldstare
2008-04-03, 12:15 AM
nothing from UA is allowed. Simply speaking its core only. I would have gone cloistered if i could have.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2008-04-03, 12:15 AM
I agree with Cloister over Loremaster It sucks that you can't go Cloister. You won't have Persistent Spell, Time and Undeath domains, and Nightsticks, so your CoDzilla will be limited. However, with Quicken Spell and DMM: Quicken, you'll be able to have Divine Power whenever you really need it.

If you really want to be the nerdy elf in the back, though, it might be better to just be the full-on support caster. DMM: Quicken still works wonders, and you don't have to worry about investing large chunks of your spellcasting abilities into just hitting things. Depends on the party, I guess.

ladditude
2008-04-03, 12:18 AM
I played one in our last game, so I will impart as much as I can (and I used PCGen for all but one little item.)

For domains, pick Travel and whatever else you want. FoM at will is awesome. Inexplicably awesome.

Second, why take Int 14? CoDzilla works fine without Loremaster. I would go Str 12, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 8, Wis 17, Cha 14. That will give you the necessary Dex to take full advantage of Full Plate, which you should be wearing. I would also get an extra point of Con (or more) ASAP. Your buffs are mostly short term at the beginning of the game. The DMM cheese won't be viable till later in the game. Starting at level 2, you'll be seriously gimped at the beginning of the game. If you started out with DMM Peristant cheese from the beginning, your physical stats would be less important but your first few levels are gonna suck.

The only item you'll ever need is Nightsticks. They are in Libris Mortis. This is the only non-Core thing I'd recommend. Each Nightstick grants a stackable +4 Turn Attempts per day. Buy as many as you can.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Jack_Simth
2008-04-03, 06:42 AM
So you've got Divine Metamagic plus everything in the SRD?

Okay. The Divine Section of the SRD includes Persistent Spell, so you can pull that cheese.

Starting at 2nd it's a little harder to use it, though, as you don't have the Planning or Undeath domains available to make it easier (a human with Planning and Undeath can do Divine Metamagic(Persistent Spell) at 1st level). Playing an Elf, without access to either of those domains, means you won't be using DMM(Persistent Spell) until at least 6th level (needs a minimum of 3 feats - Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Divine Metamagic(Persistent Spell)). You could be doing this at 3rd level with a human. After that point, you'll want to spend the rest of your feats on Extra Turning, and a lot of your items on boosting Charisma. Seriously - that's what DMM CoDZillas are made of. Divine Metamagic(Quicken Spell) will work, but it's not as effective (because Persistent lasts all day - which means you don't have to recast it).

For a CoDZilla, you don't want Loremaster, due to the d4 hit die and the lack of a good Fort save - especially as an Elf, as you'll be soaking a Con penalty to begin with. The Loremaster is for someone who sits in the back hiding from melee. That's not for CoDZilla, that's for glass cannons. You don't really need to bother with PrC's, although as you're going Epic, you'll maybe want to take a few levels of Hierophant after you hit 17th level (9th level spells), as it continues caster level advancement but not spell advancement, and higher-level spells are very valuable; you don't want to slow them down, especially as you'll likely be the only one with access to the various cures for long-term status ailments (like, say, ability drain).

As for items....
You'll want a Strand of Prayer Beads that includes a Bead of Karma. This boosts your caster level by +4 for ten minutes, which is all you need when you're casting Greater Magic Weapon on your choice of weapon, and Magic Vestments on your armor (shield, too, if you choose to go with one). Grants an extra +1 to both castings. If you go the Divine Metamagic(Persistent Spell) route, you'll also want to cast all your other daily buffs during this time - the +4 Caster Level will help them to stick around through dispelling. The rest of your items goes to relatively standard stuff - you want a +X Saves item (or better, a few cheap items that are +1 to saves), a +Wisdom item, a +Charisma item for turning (Rod of Splendor, if you can't get a Vest of Resistence), Full Plate, a weapon (prefferably two-handed; reach is usually nice; I'd suggest a Longspear, unless you've got access to something better through the War domain), possibly a heavy steel shield (Animated, if you can get it, to free up the hand). You'll want a +Con item as soon as possible - you're going to be fragile with that low of a constitution.