PDA

View Full Version : New Assassin Prestige Class (please critique)

Daegann Darrow
2008-04-02, 11:46 PM
Stealth Assassin (Name could use some work lol)

I have to say right away that this is NOT an original class. I am, I think, the first to put it into D&D, but those of you who play DotA will find these skills familiar. Well, that's because they ARE familiar, most of them came from Rikimaru, a.k.a. The Stealth Assassin, only tweaked for the D20 system. Some of you may find them a bit strong, but if you've played Rikimaru on DotA you would see that they are WAAAAAAY less OP than his crap.

First off, Shadow Marks: Shadow Marks represent the Stealth Assassins commitment to the art of the deathblow. Every time a Stealth Assassin makes a kill with his sneak attack ability (and ONLY if he gets the kill with it) he gains a shadow mark. Shadow Marks are expended in the use of a Stealth Assassins class abilities. Proceeding to the next level of Stealth Assassin gives him a number of shadow marks equal to his hit dice.

(So basically, all of the Stealth Assassins class abilities require a certain number of shadow marks to use, and I made the number gained at level per hit dice so rogue or fighter levels would be taken into account.)

So here's the abilities:

Backstab The Stealth Assassin applies a portion of his Dexterity score to his damage when attacking an enemy who is flanked or denied its Dex bonus. The damage is equal to 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 of the Stealth Assassin's Dexterity score.
Shadow Marks: 0

Stifling Mists: The Stealth Assassin summons forth a choking mist that dampens sound and causes nearby creatures to burst into fits of coughing, preventing any spell casting within the mists and allowing the Stealth Assassin to make a hide check as a free action inside of the smoke. Should the check succeed the Stealth Assassin can make an attack on any target within the mists as if he were flanking them. Foes making attacks against the Stealth Assassin within the mists will incur a miss penalty. The area, duration, and miss chance increases with each level: Area-10, 15, 20 ft. Duration-2, 3, 4 Rnds. Miss%-20, 30, 40
Shadow Marks: 2

Shadow Strike: The Stealth Assassin blinks behind an enemy from long distance, triggering a sneak attack. Range increases with level.
Range: 25, 50, 75 ft.
Shadow Marks: 1

Shadow's Grace: The Stealth Assassin's agility increases greatly as he progresses, giving him a dodge bonus to AC.

Deathblow: The Stealth Assassin may expend all remaining Shadow Marks when in possession of 5 or more to strike an especially deadly blow to his enemy. The Stealth Assassin will deal his entire Dexterity score as well as his Dexterity bonus as damage.
Shadow Marks: All

OK, phew. The Stealth Assassin class has 10 levels. The base attack bonus gain starts at 0 and increases by one each level leading up to +9. Fortitude saves progress from 1-10, reflex starts at 3 and ends up at 13, and Will saves start at 1 and increase to 9 as level two has only +1 to will saves.

Here's what you get each level
1:Backstab 1, +1d6 sneak attack bonus
2:Stifling Mists 1, Blink Strike 1
3:Shadow's Grace +1 AC
4:Blink Strike 2, +2d6 Sneak attack bonus
5:Backstab 2
6:Stifling Mists 2
7:Shadow's Grace +2, +3d6 Sneak attack bonus
8:Blink Strike 3, Death Blow
9:Stifling Mists 3
10:Backstab 3, +4d6 Sneak attack Bonus.

Now, on the subject of Backstab. I based Backstab off of a DEX score of 18, which means that +1/4 is 4.5, which I rounded down to +4. +1/3 would be +6, and +1/2 would be +9. For a while I felt Backstab was too much damage all at once since it stacks with STR bonus damage and is multiplied by critical hits, but look at the damage bonuses! It's not that bad! It's just a really good class ability.

Now, CRITIQUE ME! On a side note, feel free to submit any backstory or descriptions for the class and the abilities. And on another side note, all of you haters who feel like they need to whine about how I used a character from a video game, blow me. I think it's awesome. The character not the head.

Daegann Darrow
2008-04-05, 05:31 PM
What?! Nothing to say about anything? Weird.

RationalGoblin
2008-04-05, 05:56 PM
I just think it was overlooked. Really, in my opinion, its kind of bland, and Assassin is already a prestige class.

Not much to say, I'm afraid.

If it's your first try in making a class, then it's a good first try, I must admit.

JackTR69
2008-04-05, 07:28 PM
It would work better if you could get a nice looking well organized table to look at. The way you have it presented makes it pretty vague, I had some trouble figuring out what you meant in more than a few places. As far as the dexterity bonus to damage, try just making it dex bonus+assassin level. It works out about the same without being half as complicated. Plus it gives you more reason to advance in the class rather that just taking enough levels to get that ability.

Bago!!!
2008-04-05, 09:52 PM
I look at this and I see potential. Though the assassin class has already been taken, that doesn't mean that every assassin has levels in that. Like my friends always say, there are many ways to skin a man. Wanna see? :smalleek:

The attack bonus your going for does not exsist man. Sorry. There are only 3 types of attack bonus. Poor (What pathetic spellcasters get), Average (What alot of light combat-skill-or special classes have) and Full (Your full WARRIOR Class). The same with the saves, except there are only two types of saves. Poor (Your a goner....) and Good (There was poisen in that? But it tasted so good....).

But yeah, what kind of assassin theme are you going for?

But yeah, organize it like a table, relook at some of the stuff, and decribe more.

How does stifling mist's progression work exactly? I am no smart guy. BRAIN POO-plode!
I actually figured it out, but its still good to explain it other people

How does Deathblow work exactly?

As for Shadow Strike... do you have infinate uses and does it have to end with a strike?

What are the skills for this guy? Hit die?

Lastly, I sitll don't understand Backstab.... :smallfrown:

Now to be really mean! YAR! I BITE HEAD!!! (Chews airheads)

Shadows grace seems very weak and unneccessary.

Thats it for now.

Hawriel
2008-04-05, 11:38 PM
isnt calling an assasin a "stealth" assasin rather redundent.

Bago!!!
2008-04-06, 12:17 AM
I believe its a name that he has given it, temporarily.

Nebo_
2008-04-06, 01:49 AM
isnt calling an assasin a "stealth" assasin rather redundent.

It isn't redundant, but it still isn't a very good name.

The class seems to be all over the place, your abilities are badly worded, the BAB and saves don't follow the right progression and the niche is already taken.

TKDfirefly
2008-04-07, 08:16 AM
I have to agree with everyone else. Use the Average BAB, the Good save progression for Reflex, and the Poor save progression for Fort and Will. Adding skills would be nice but I will assume for now that they are the same as the ones for the original Assassin PrC.

Also please change the name. From the abilities, the name Shadow Assassin is basically screaming at me for this PrC to be called.

I am guessing that "Blink Strike" and "Shadow Strike" are the same ability. Please pick just one name, preferably the latter for the feel. Do you have to be in a shadow to use this ability?

Confused by the description of Deathblow. What exactly do you mean by "The Stealth Assassin will deal his entire Dexterity score as well as his Dexterity bonus as damage."? Is this in addition to the normal damage? Does it replace the normal damage from a strike?

What is the range of Stifling Mist? Is it centered on You? Is the area you mention its actual area or just the radius? Does the dampen sound make it so no one can hear the coughing or just make a Listen DC higher? Why does it cost 2 Shadow marks when the Shadow Strike costs only 1? That seems backwards.

You might want to add some passive abilities. Some ideas are bonus to Hide and Move Silently and possibly give the ability to "shadow jump" when not in combet. Maybe a bonus to Intimidate because this can be a very creepy assassin. If I was playing one, I would definitely try to have a Duel of Wills [from ToB] with my target if my first strike does not kill him.

I kind of got the idea that this class was suppose to be a mix of the Assassin and Shadow Dancer PrCs. That was why I had my suggestions. An assassin prestige class can not be all about combat. It goes against the very concept of the name. Yes, they kill but they also set the situation. That is why I really like the Stifling Mist ability. It is a good concept. It just needs to come together to make it a good class.

DrizztFan24
2008-04-07, 11:12 AM
I like these assassin threads because with the current assassin prestige class (I am playing one with about as much Int as possible, everything still makes the save) the Death Attack is really pretty useless. The termDeadly Assassin strikes me as being rather redundant, but in DnD its more of a distant dream you only reach when taking on low HD critters.

I would suggest something that can 1 hit KO an opponent through an ability, not through damage.

Daegann Darrow
2008-05-14, 11:07 PM
Alllllllllllllll RIGHT! For the people who probably won't read this ever again!

1. The tables won't happen.
2. To JackTR69: Backstab is only complicated because I want it to become more powerful the more DEX you have, and the only way to do that is by division.
3. To Bago!!!: a. I'm going for a combat oriented assassin
b. Deathblow works like this-> DEX=18, DEX bonus=4 Deatblow=+22 damage (18 for the whole score, and 4 for the bonus)
c.Backstab just deals bonus damage whenever you sneak attack

4. to Hawriel: Yes.
5. to TKDfirefly: a. I still haven't settled on a name
b. Blink strike and Shadow strike are the same skill. And no.
c. Deathblow description is exactly what it means, add your dex score and your dex bonus to your damage. It stacks with sneak attack, backstab, strength, and multiplies with criticals.
d. The range on stifling mist is a radius effect centered on the caster. It silences your opponents. It costs two marks because it makes all your attacks sneak attacks and gives your enemies a miss chance.
e. It does have a passive ability, shadow's grace. Also, to whoever said shadows grace is lame, I agree, but it's just filler.
f. Not familiar with whatever ToB is. Shadow strike IS a jump into combat skill. It teleports you behind the target so you can backstab that mother.

To DrizztFan24: 1 hit KO is rediculous and that's why the save DC is so crappy. Which is why this assassin deals a **** ton of damage through all of the class skills.

Anything I missed, eh. Hope my answers satisfy your curiousity, and thanks for the input!

Zeta Kai
2008-05-15, 05:43 AM
I bestow upon thee a table, because tables are easy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode#table):

The Hashshashin
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Backstab 1, +1d6 sneak attack bonus
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Stifling Mists 1, Blink Strike 1
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Shadow's Grace +1 AC
4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Blink Strike 2, +2d6 Sneak attack bonus
5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Backstab 2
6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Stifling Mists 2
7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Shadow's Grace +2, +3d6 Sneak attack bonus
8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|Blink Strike 3, Death Blow
9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Stifling Mists 3
10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Backstab 3, +4d6 Sneak attack Bonus[/table]

Daegann Darrow
2008-05-16, 02:37 PM
I bestow upon thee a table, because tables are easy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode#table):

The Hashshashin
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Reflex Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+0|+0|+2|+0|Backstab 1, +1d6 sneak attack bonus
2nd|+1|+0|+3|+0|Stifling Mists 1, Blink Strike 1
3rd|+2|+1|+3|+1|Shadow's Grace +1 AC
4th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Blink Strike 2, +2d6 Sneak attack bonus
5th|+3|+1|+4|+1|Backstab 2
6th|+4|+2|+5|+2|Stifling Mists 2
7th|+5|+2|+5|+2|Shadow's Grace +2, +3d6 Sneak attack bonus
8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+2|Blink Strike 3, Death Blow
9th|+6/+1|+3|+6|+3|Stifling Mists 3
10th|+7/+2|+3|+7|+3|Backstab 3, +4d6 Sneak attack Bonus[/table]

O_O You sir, are a god among men. A god of tables, but a god nonetheless!

The_Pyre
2008-05-18, 03:22 AM
It is, apparently, based heavily on Rikimaru, the Stealth Assassin from DotA. Most of the skills (Blink Strike, Backstab, and Smokescreen) are well represented.

Iituem
2008-05-18, 08:17 AM
Alright, let's play the dissection game?

Stealth Assassin (Name could use some work lol)

Can't help you here. Base it on the backstory, I'd say.

First off, Shadow Marks: Shadow Marks represent the Stealth Assassins commitment to the art of the deathblow. Every time a Stealth Assassin makes a kill with his sneak attack ability (and ONLY if he gets the kill with it) he gains a shadow mark. Shadow Marks are expended in the use of a Stealth Assassins class abilities. Proceeding to the next level of Stealth Assassin gives him a number of shadow marks equal to his hit dice.

(So basically, all of the Stealth Assassins class abilities require a certain number of shadow marks to use, and I made the number gained at level per hit dice so rogue or fighter levels would be taken into account.)

There are a couple of balance issues here I'd like to point out. Your assassin is going to need to do a phenomenal amount of killing to back up his abilities if it is a simple 1 mark/kill exchange. This means that if he needs to create a stifling mist to escape from a hot situation or to neutralise a wizard in combat, he's going to have had to go out and quietly murder a pair of lovers in a park to do it. At the same time, this takes into account no measure of the strength of a character being faced. Killing a homeless man lying in the gutter grants you just as much power as killing Ruthgar the Magnificent (also lying in the gutter, but this is a common problem with post-dragonslaying festivities).

I would suggest a kill granting an assassin a number of kills equal to the target's total Hit Dice. Thus killing a level 1 human commoner will get the assassin 1 death mark, but killing a minotaur (6 racial HD) with 7 levels in fighter will net him 13 marks. It seems more balanced for a higher level assassin to just kill one powerful target to boost himself up rather than have to go on a murder spree of random civilians.

Backstab The Stealth Assassin applies a portion of his Dexterity score to his damage when attacking an enemy who is flanked or denied its Dex bonus. The damage is equal to 1/4, 1/3, and 1/2 of the Stealth Assassin's Dexterity score.
Shadow Marks: 0

Have you considered simply allowing the assassin to add his Dex modifier to damage? This is a bit of a nightmare in terms of balance issues if it stacks with Strength, so I might suggest giving him the option to add it instead of Str. As your average assassin will be upping his Dexterity anyway over the course of the campaign (levelling up, magic items, wishes etc), this will achieve much the same effect of added damage without it becoming hideously game-breaking in the process.

Stifling Mists: The Stealth Assassin summons forth a choking mist that dampens sound and causes nearby creatures to burst into fits of coughing, preventing any spell casting within the mists and allowing the Stealth Assassin to make a hide check as a free action inside of the smoke. Should the check succeed the Stealth Assassin can make an attack on any target within the mists as if he were flanking them. Foes making attacks against the Stealth Assassin within the mists will incur a miss penalty. The area, duration, and miss chance increases with each level: Area-10, 15, 20 ft. Duration-2, 3, 4 Rnds. Miss%-20, 30, 40
Shadow Marks: 2

Flat out spellcasting prevention? With something like a swarm spell (which would be a good basis here), you typically get a Concentration check to try and cast. Given that choking messes up your vocal and somatic elements, you could make it a flat DC 20 check (not easy) and it would work fine. You should probably note that the assassin himself is immune to the choking effects. Also be aware that creatures that do not breathe will be immune to its effects. Does the miss chance apply to the assassin's own strikes? You've already mentioned that it's a radial range, based on the assassin, so you should mention that explicitly in the write-up.

As an extra note, if the assassin succeeds at a Hide check and they fail to detect him, he will become hidden and thus anyone he strikes at from the mist will be denied their Dex bonus to AC because they are unaware of his location. You do not need to specify that he could strike as if he were flanking. You should probably note that when he does strike, he will reveal himself and have to re-hide, though.

Shadow Strike: The Stealth Assassin blinks behind an enemy from long distance, triggering a sneak attack. Range increases with level.
Range: 25, 50, 75 ft.
Shadow Marks: 1

Short range dimension-door style effect. Since DD has a range min of 400ft, you could probably get away with extending those ranges to 150/300/450ft.

Shadow's Grace: The Stealth Assassin's agility increases greatly as he progresses, giving him a dodge bonus to AC.

Sounds good. Consider moving the second AC upgrade to 8th level, though, as this will make things easier if someone goes for an Epic progression (they like things working in blocks of 5 or 3 levels).

Deathblow: The Stealth Assassin may expend all remaining Shadow Marks when in possession of 5 or more to strike an especially deadly blow to his enemy. The Stealth Assassin will deal his entire Dexterity score as well as his Dexterity bonus as damage.
Shadow Marks: All

This seems unbalanced, especially if you took into account the decision you made at first level to allow portions of whole Dex scores to be used. This would mean that a 10th level assassin with 20 Dex will not only deal +10 damage (half his Dex) automatically on a hit, he will then deal an extra 25 (full dex score plus dex bonus) for a whopping +35 flat damage. This is a bit of a no-no, honestly.

The bigger issue is your decision to allow him to expend all remaining marks to deal this blow. Since the effect is the same regardless of how many marks he burns and he only needs to have at least 5 to do it, it makes sense for an assassin to just burn up his marks whenever he has 5, or to never use this at all and just save his marks for constructive uses. It is a reasonably simple matter to allow him to convert his marks to damage, however.

Since each mark has been shown to roughly equal a low level spell in effectiveness, why not have it that when the assassin burns all his marks in this glorious death strike each mark does an additional +1d4 damage to his stroke? An assassin with 10 marks to burn will do +10d4 damage (anywhere from +10 to +40) and suddenly find himself horribly weakened, but he still just potentially did as much damage as the guy above without having to waste 5 death marks. I would additionally suggest making this only an option when performing a sneak attack, but it's up to you.

Average B.A.B. progression is standard for all roguey types, so there's no need to deviate. This guy seems pretty strongly Dex-based, so give him a good Reflex save and poor Fort and Will saves. Suggest a d6 hit die.

Edit: I'm assuming class skills are as for PrC Assassin. What are the requirements for taking up the class?