Level: Druid 4, Sorcerer/Wizard 5
Components: V,S
Casting Time: Standard Act
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: 4 rounds, plus 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Special
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell surrounds the recipient in a halo of crackling electrical energy. The current is so strong that the recipient emits light up to a 100-foot radius, affecting those with light sensitivity or light blindness. Fingers of lightning constantly shoot out of the recipient, snapping and popping, giving other creatures a +20 bonus on their Listen and Spot checks to notice the recipient. The arcs of lightning reach out, grabbing a hold of nearby objects and creatures. The arcs are harmless unless directed.

With a standard act, the recipient can direct the lightning to designated targets. Each round, one arc of lightning per 2 caster levels (maximum 4 arcs) reaches up to a distance of 25 feet plus 5 feet/caster level away, dealing 2d6 damage. Each arc requires a ranged touch attack, and each arc counts as a separate attack. More than one arc can target a single object or creature. Any creature that takes electrical damage from this spell two rounds in a row must roll a successful Fortitude save or become dazed for 1d4 rounds. A successful save still takes full damage.

If the recipient of the spell grapples another creature, or becomes grappled at any time during the spell duration, the grappling creature automatically becomes the target of the arcs, with no action necessary by the recipient. The recipient cannot suppress this targeting of a grappling creature while affected by this spell.

DracoDei
2008-04-03, 07:37 AM
Tesla and van de Graph (sp?) would be proud...
You might want to replace DEX with the casting stat for the to-hit rolls since it is targeting automatically and randomly in some cases so it doesn't make sense for it to make a difference how good the caster's aim is...
Might also be good to say that they all auto-target anyone grappling the caster... makes sense and anti-grappling spells are useful (maybe TOO useful... but their you go).

Stycotl
2008-04-03, 01:32 PM
i'm interested in the grappling idea, and will have to think of that. i like keeping the arcs to ranged touch attacks using bab and dex, mostly because that justifies in my mind the damage that can be dealt every round, and the possibility to become dazed. however, if anyone thinks that this spell--5th level for arcane users, 4th for druids--rates a caster level for bab+primary casting attribute, let me know. as it stands, i think i would have to bump it up a level in order to do that, and i specifically wanted it at its current power level.

that said, now i am pondering a greater version of the spell...

thanks. aaron out.

DracoDei
2008-04-03, 01:37 PM
Well... you wouldn't HAVE to use BAB = caster level if you didn't want to...

Stycotl
2008-04-03, 01:41 PM
i was under the impression that this was your idea, to use caster level in place of bab.

EDIT: i changed a few things around.

Stycotl
2008-04-04, 11:27 AM
bumpity-bump-bump

DracoDei
2008-04-04, 11:41 AM
i was under the impression that this was your idea, to use caster level in place of bab.

Nope... just meant a mental stat rather than DEX for the associated stat that adds on to BAB.

JackTR69
2008-04-04, 05:58 PM
Hmmm, seems good. About the grapple, I think that having something like this would be useful, but not overly useful. After all, it doesn't end the grapple, just deal damage to the grappler.