PDA

View Full Version : Eldrich Glaive question.

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-03, 05:07 AM
Does having a high enough BAB allow extra attacks with an Eldrich Glaive? It was mentioned on http://www.devinweb.com/invocations.htm , and I'm curious about if it works like a reach weapon in regards to extra attacks.

Pironious
2008-04-03, 06:03 AM
Does having a high enough BAB allow extra attacks with an Eldrich Glaive? It was mentioned on http://www.devinweb.com/invocations.htm , and I'm curious about if it works like a reach weapon in regards to extra attacks.

I don't believe it's a reach weapon, I don't own Dragon Magic so I can't look it up. But yes, it allows you to make a full attack.

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-03, 06:05 AM
Thanks for telling me (that could be really powerful if it was used in a multiclass combination with a warrior-type class).

Kurald Galain
2008-04-03, 06:19 AM
Yes, it allows multiple attacks in whichever way you can obtain them (including AoOs); and yes, it is a reach weapon (that's why it's called a glaive); and yes, this is what Hideous Blow should have been.

The Whippomancer in my signature has some nasty tricks that you could conceivably pull off with a Glaivelock.

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-03, 06:37 AM
Thanks. I was mainly asking because I was thinking about what classes Nale could have taken with his stats in order to be more optimised while doing as much of what he can do as possibly, and Hexblade/Warlock came up (Hexblade/Beguiller would fit a lot better, but I don't think Nale's Int is as good as his Cha). I'll check your Whippomancer in a minute.

Tokiko Mima
2008-04-03, 12:03 PM
Thanks for telling me (that could be really powerful if it was used in a multiclass combination with a warrior-type class).

It's really awesome in gestalt, paired with a whole lot of Hellfire damage from the Hellfire Warlock PrC. Four melee touch attacks for 9d6 eldritch+10d6 Hellfire damage, neither of which can be resisted? Nice! :smallbiggrin:

Tempest Fennac
2008-04-03, 12:35 PM
That is powerful. I'm not that familiar with the Hellfire PrC, Ill check WotC for it shortl, but doesn;t it cause some Con loss without a particular Chakra bind?

The_Snark
2008-04-03, 02:56 PM
It does cause Con loss, but either a level of binder and the right vestige, or that one soulmeld, or (if neither source is available) a simple wand of lesser restoration can help out with that. (It's 6d6 hellfire, by the way, not 10d6.) And yes, it is a reach weapon, and you can make attacks of opportunity with it on the round after using it. It's a full-round action to use, though.

Hellfire glaives can be scary.

Tokiko Mima
2008-04-03, 03:06 PM
That is powerful. I'm not that familiar with the Hellfire PrC, Ill check WotC for it shortl, but doesn;t it cause some Con loss without a particular Chakra bind?

Yes, and it's especially an issue if you're going to be using Hellfire several times in a round with Elditch Glaive. Normally I would class into Incarnate for two levels on the other side of my gestalt so I can shape Strongheart Vest, and bind a Crystal Helm to my crown chakra. That prevent the Constitution damage from being a problem, and it gives your glaive (and all your other melee attacks) the force descriptor, making it easy to hit ethereal or incorporeal foes with your Eldritch Glaive.

I should also mention that my favorite Warlock build also includes 3 levels of Uncanny Trickster; otherwise I could only get up to 6d6 Hellfire damage. I get the remaining +4d6 Hellfire from Trickster's '+1 to existing class features' clause.

Bag_of_Holding
2008-04-03, 03:22 PM
Apart from Uncanny Trickster, you could also use Legacy Champion from Weapons of Legacy.

Burley
2008-04-03, 03:26 PM
[QUOTE=The_Snark;4143475]It's a full-round action to use, though. QUOTE]

It's a full-round action to make a full round attack. You could still use it after moving, if you want to attack once. But, it's better to stay where you are and shoot, if that's the case.

If I were to play a gestalt warlock, I'd pick something like rogue or ninja that gives me presicion damage when I'm invisible. Then...I'd take the invisibility invocation. I may not be able to get off 4 attacks, but I can sure as hell get off one 10d6 (assume I'm using brinstone or hellrime or something) plus the 9d6 (are there any feats that increase sneak attack/sudden strike?) at full BaB. Then, Eldritch glaive the next round when they know where I am.
That's just me. I don't like the Hellfire PrC. It's too...lose your souly. I like being chaotic ---. Not "do what your demon says" ---.

Kurald Galain
2008-04-03, 03:48 PM
(are there any feats that increase sneak attack/sudden strike?)

Certainly. Craven comes to mind. The Flame of Anor build contains pretty much all of them.

Tokiko Mima
2008-04-03, 04:09 PM
That's just me. I don't like the Hellfire PrC. It's too...lose your souly. I like being chaotic ---. Not "do what your demon says" ---.

Devil, actually! :smalltongue:

The reason I prefer Hellfire is that you can really ramp up the damage with only a few levels, and there's no easy way to be immune to Hellfire damage. There's just too many creatures at higher levels that are immune to critical hits, or have heavy fortification armor. What can I say? I was seduced to the dark side of the Warlock.

That said, it's still usually a mistake to make a blaster out of a warlock. If only it wasn't so darn fun!!! :smallbiggrin:

The_Snark
2008-04-03, 05:28 PM
I should also mention that my favorite Warlock build also includes 3 levels of Uncanny Trickster; otherwise I could only get up to 6d6 Hellfire damage. I get the remaining +4d6 Hellfire from Trickster's '+1 to existing class features' clause.

Ah, I see. Generally, I'd assume that such features can't increase class features beyond the normal maximum, but it's never explicitly stated, so I guess it works in theory.

It's a full-round action to make a full round attack. You could still use it after moving, if you want to attack once. But, it's better to stay where you are and shoot, if that's the case.

No, using the eldritch glaive is always a full-round action, no matter how many attacks you're making. It's not usually relevant, since like you say, you can just shoot the blast and then move, but it means that you can't charge with it, and you can't take attacks of opportunity with it unless you used it last round.

As for the class, you don't have to listen to what the devils say. The last hellfire warlock I played immolated devils on sight. Of course, that character was a former infernal agent on the run from the forces of Hell, so there were definitely complications, but that sort of thing can be pretty fun, too.