PDA

View Full Version : Cheese Removal Please

Greyen
2008-04-03, 05:44 AM
Ok guys,
in an effort to remove cheesiness from a Cleric I am building I would like your folks help. I am trying NOT to make an uber Czilla. More of a wandering good/nice guy. Not really up for fighting. Basic build follows.

Aasimar Cleric of Fharlaghan 10/Contemplative 5
(spelling is off, but who can really spell this god's name anyway.)
Modified Scores Str 11, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 26, Chr 20

Feats I am looking at are -
Extra Turning - need to fuel Divine Ward and other feats.
True Believer - for flavor and use of a relic.
Divine Ward - To heal at a distance with out DMM cheese.
Zen Archery - For some combat ability. Changes that +9 to hit to a +17
Far Horizons - More traveling spells.
Travel Devotion - Cheese here, thinking about trading it in.
Sponteneous Domains/Domain Sponteneity - Cheese?

Any ideas for trading stuff out?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2008-04-03, 05:48 AM
Calling everything in CDiv cheese aside, your clerical feat options vary in goodness depending on the build/strength of the rest of your party. Care to share?

Skjaldbakka
2008-04-03, 05:48 AM
1) Fharlaghn is my favorite deity in Greyhawk. I don't even have to look up how to spell his name any more.

2) If you are wanting to tone yourself down, and are looking into contemplative anyway, have you considered the cloistered cleric variant?

3) All you really have to do is not opt to take the big self-buff spells, and instead prepare party buff spells. Like most prepared casters, you have a great deal of flexibility in terms of how powerful you want to be, just by virtue of your spells prepared on a regular basis.

4) Augment Healing seems to fit your concept, and is a middling feat that your party will appreciate your having.

5) Also, being an aasimar is a good start. You are giving up a level of spellcasting for it, which is suboptimal. 1 LA isn't a huge issue, given the strength of cleric overall, but it still helps.

Greyen
2008-04-03, 05:57 AM
Calling everything in CDiv cheese aside, your clerical feat options vary in goodness depending on the build/strength of the rest of your party. Care to share?

Dunno rest of party yet. This is for submission into a PbP where the DM has specifically asked for less dairy.

3) All you really have to do is not opt to take the big self-buff spells, and instead prepare party buff spells. Like most prepared casters, you have a great deal of flexibility in terms of how powerful you want to be, just by virtue of your spells prepared on a regular basis.

4) Augment Healing seems to fit your concept, and is a middling feat that your party will appreciate your having.

5) Also, being an aasimar is a good start. You are giving up a level of spellcasting for it, which is suboptimal. 1 LA isn't a huge issue, given the strength of cleric overall, but it still helps.

3) Yup - No self buffing going on here. Lots of Mass ____, and assorted other party buffs.

4) Might be good to trade out Travel Devotion for.

5) LA buyoff is in effect so I'm really only 3K exp behind. Thats not a huge issue anyway.

Keld Denar
2008-04-03, 06:07 AM
Yeah, look into Augemented Healing. It gives your spells the bit of kick you need to make them more viable in combat, since combat healing tends to be rather inefficent.

Also, there are a few nice short duration party buffs throught the cleric spell list. Recitation from Complete Divine is one. Righteous Wrath of the Faithful is another. Lion's Roar is a higher level one. These are some decent group buffs that when cast bring your whole party up a notch.

Battlefield Control comes late for a cleric, but good use of Wall of Stone and a few other select spells can be placed to divide and conquer, or just shield allies from dangerous attacks.

Travel Devotion isn't too cheesey if you aren't using it as a way to gain a pounce like ability, or to always qualify for scirmish all the time, or even to pump it through RKVs Divine Impetus to turn into Chuck. Its pretty useful for the mobile cleric on the go, because sometimes your party gets spread out and you REALLY need to get to someone to cast that spell. Divine Wards range is 30', but sometimes thats just too far and your normal move won't cut it.

Domain Spontinaity, especially on your Travel side is very versitile, especially if you don't have a party wizard or other primary arcane. Being able to cast Fly multiple times in a day is very useful. And everyone love Dim Door and Teleport (and Hypnotoad too!). Again, not too cheesy.

Really, as long as you stay away from having Persist Spell, or excessive castings of Righteous Might, you shouldn't boarder too much in Clericzilla cheese.